Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Funny you should say that.   The MD, Yuksel, is from Turkey and said that at home he eats Sea Bass with a nice tasty soft skin.   He said on the ship he removes the skin.  

That's how the fish is served in Chinese restaurants; Streamed whole Sea Bass with Ginger and scallion. It's a quintessential Cantonese dish.  

https://thewoksoflife.com/steamed-whole-fish/

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, lola2013 said:

I have an SV booked on two upcoming Apex sailings…not TAs.  I am anxious to hear if the loungers will be replaced at the end of your crossing.  Thanks.

We were in two Sunset Suites/corner S1’s on Apex for TA/b2b; our chairs/loungers were removed once on the Fall TA due to very rough seas.  They were returned the next morning.  The captain is very safety conscious on Apex.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Did you see the reports in the Sierra's -  After a 3 year drought one area got 100 feet of snow.   Brings back memories of the Donner Party. 

That is crazy! I have an acquaintance that moved to that area a couple years ago and sold his snowblower before the move. I should reach out and see if he ever replaced it.

I actually have two snowblowers in my garage at the moment. I purchased a newer one from a guy who repairs them and had him service my old one, now I'll store the older one until next fall and sell it then.

On 4/21/2023 at 4:01 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Ok now just a little comment on the food in Luminae.   First of all on E-Class ships you are not allowed to order from Blu but was told by MD that no reservations or calls need if we want to eat in Blu.

The menu has not changed in a decade and is rather boring and repetitive when aboard for a longer cruise.

We have been finding that the food preparation of some dishes have been a disappointment.     It's not across the board but seam so be the Poultry.    One night I had the Guinea Hen - OK it is one of Iain's pet peeves because it isn't a Guinea Hen and most ships a Cornish Game Hen.    A Guinea Hen is more of a game bird and totally different shape -

http://t1.gstatic.com/licensed-image?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpgVMc2LlNVWziXepc0zjQnlW7Eata3YWndNXR9KN4HFZ0k3btwex8z866oCItk_sNhTFB-LdJJuTRcpk

What came out on Apex was the size of a baby quail.   Fine by me as I love quail but it was so over cooked I could hardly cut it.

Last night.    You know how the servers try to up the service for good reviews and such by double lobster.    Iain, Sue and Charles had the Lobster with drawn butter and they all raved about it.     I had the Rack of Lamb which was cooked perfect and delicious.    Sunny tried to impress us by bringing a Slow Roasted Cornish Hen - for the table to share.    We really didn't want so I said why don't we each put a piece on our plate to look like we appreciated his efforts -.    We tried it  -  dry as dry can be.    When Sunny asked us how we liked it and we told him they should rename it Road Runner.    He cracked up. 

Jim, glad that you are both back at sea.  The lack of the main dining menu in Luminae was the only negative thing for us on the Apex. (the everyday items were the only items offered).  So many really cool features in the Apex.  
Can you order from the MDR menu in Blu?

I hope your cruise continues to be great.

Edited by jagoffee

15 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Jim, glad that you are both back at sea.  The lack of the main dining menu in Luminae was the only negative thing for us on the Apex. (the everyday items were the only items offered).  So many really cool features in the Apex.  

That I don't know.   Any of you followers know the answer?   I'll also try to find out.

16 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

That I don't know.   Any of you followers know the answer?   I'll also try to find out.

I can answer this.  Was in Suite on Apex in March. I'm a picky eater.  The waiter in Lumanie told me to look at all dining room menus and let them know a day prior and they would fix the meal for me.  He said they have to send ass't waiter to deck three to pick up the food from that Restaurant and bring it up to Lumanie.  I had Roast Turkey Dinner one night;  Fettucinie Alfredo another night.  Lumanie wants you to go away each night happy

Edited by AF-1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks Ken-    It's just my little (well not little) 'ol phone.     With Apple being my next door neighbor I of course have an iPhone 12 Pro Max.    I'm one of those people that Stay up 'til midnight on Order Launch Day and order the latest phone with every phone from iPhone 1.   

I often pick it up on release date and often Steve Jobs and Steve Wazniak were at the Door to high five when the doors opened.    Cook and Waz still carry on the tradition.

I find the Pro Max a little  difficult to disable some camera features as it tries so hard to create a picture by a logarithm some developer created.    It often either over or under exposes.    One feature I do like is that all photos are what the call Live -  It basically captures about a 1-3 second mini movie that takes all the images and averages out the lights and shadows.   It also allows you to select the key image in case someone were to blink or turn their head and you want the moment a couple mili seconds earlier. 

Cool! When my iPhone SE’s battery finally registers 82% effectiveness, I’m getting one of those!! 😂

2 hours ago, Lastdance said:

We were in two Sunset Suites/corner S1’s on Apex for TA/b2b; our chairs/loungers were removed once on the Fall TA due to very rough seas.  They were returned the next morning.  The captain is very safety conscious on Apex.

Thanks!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Cool! When my iPhone SE’s battery finally registers 82% effectiveness, I’m getting one of those!! 😂

I get confused with the model numbers as we have a pecking order -  I bought the iPhone 14 and Iain got my 13, my daughter got his 12 and my Granddaughter to the 11. 

For some reason I was thinking like on a ship they skipped the 13.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I get confused with the model numbers as we have a pecking order -  I bought the iPhone 14 and Iain got my 13, my daughter got his 12 and my Granddaughter to the 11. 

For some reason I was thinking like on a ship they skipped the 13.

That makes sense. I think my SE has the inners of a 10, but the look and feel of an iPhone 8. But it still works and that’s the main thing. 😁

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Terry --- Have to agree.    I've loved every fish I ever had on Celebrity except on that I thought was terrible and very gelatinous and yucky... I couldn't remember what it was.

Last night they had the Barramundi and I googled to make sure it wasn't the yucky fish.... Its Asian Sea Bass... Which I did order and was very happy with it -

I asked Yuksel what was the fish that very gelatinous.   He told me he thinks I was referring to the Tilapia and said he doesn't eat it himself.   I definitely put that in my memory bank.    My favorite is the Turbot -  It is in a beautiful sauce and is a really nicely composed dish. 

I am getting worried about my cruise next month regarding Luminae. I do not eat fish so hope the other items are good. I may be ordering from MD or Blu. I will be on Summit.

Laura

1 hour ago, Laurab23 said:

I am getting worried about my cruise next month regarding Luminae. I do not eat fish so hope the other items are good. I may be ordering from MD or Blu. I will be on Summit.

Laura

Personally I felt food was much better on Summit.   As an aside when having lunch today the Chef dropped by and asked how I've been enjoying the food.   I was a bit non-committal and he said you can be open.    I said our issue of the poultry had been addressed with him already and I was pleased with the first chicken dish I had on this cruise.

We eat very little Red Meat at home and generally use chicken, turkey and pork in beef dishes.   They do have many different non- fish 

Here is day 1,2 and 3 Dinner menus 

IMG_2609.thumb.jpeg.7ba7d4c8c2a751af06020db380ed5b6e.jpeg

IMG_2610.thumb.jpeg.e0ac297c5d8687bb25766db1ce1ecdda.jpeg

IMG_2611.thumb.jpeg.3ee9fce8ea527f8555570c526f86de9c.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Personally I felt food was much better on Summit.   As an aside when having lunch today the Chef dropped by and asked how I've been enjoying the food.   I was a bit non-committal and he said you can be open.    I said our issue of the poultry had been addressed with him already and I was pleased with the first chicken dish I had on this cruise.

We eat very little Red Meat at home and generally use chicken, turkey and pork in beef dishes.   They do have many different non- fish 

Here is day 1,2 and 3 Dinner menus 

IMG_2609.thumb.jpeg.7ba7d4c8c2a751af06020db380ed5b6e.jpeg

IMG_2610.thumb.jpeg.e0ac297c5d8687bb25766db1ce1ecdda.jpeg

IMG_2611.thumb.jpeg.3ee9fce8ea527f8555570c526f86de9c.jpeg

Thanks Jim.

Walked out of Luminae tonight. Sat there from 5:30 till 6:35 and other than the amuse bouche , rolls, and appetizers, we were served NOTHING. Sommelier did top off the wine. THST WAS IT. Grabbed a supervisor who announced entrees would be right out. Waited another fifteen minutes. NOTHING. Except that the all the folks around us — some who came in well after 6 pm — had been served their entrees. I can hardly wait for the surveys. NEVER (in over 15 cruises) did we experience anything like this on Princess. Inexplicable and unacceptable. 

15 minutes ago, ProfMHC said:

Walked out of Luminae tonight. Sat there from 5:30 till 6:35 and other than the amuse bouche , rolls, and appetizers, we were served NOTHING. Sommelier did top off the wine. THST WAS IT. Grabbed a supervisor who announced entrees would be right out. Waited another fifteen minutes. NOTHING. Except that the all the folks around us — some who came in well after 6 pm — had been served their entrees. I can hardly wait for the surveys. NEVER (in over 15 cruises) did we experience anything like this on Princess. Inexplicable and unacceptable. 

That's not good, I had that happen on Beyond last year although I was in MDR. I got there and took a good 20 mins to even get a drink and then had to wait more for them to take my order. In the mean time the waiter took desert order for the people next to me, they told them after they ate they were done and then he came back to take their order again 🤷‍♀️

By the time my main came out it was over an hour into the service and they hadn't even cleared table from my starter. When I was finished my main it was well past 1.5 since I got there, after 15 mins of waiting I walked out and went to oceanview to get ice cream.

That being said I dined in all 4 MDR and it was just that one I had that service, I didn't go back to that one

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Laurab23 said:

Laura

We sailed Beyond last week. Not only the fish, but the beef was good in Luminae. I ordered ribeye, NY strip, and filet mignon medium rare (not the same night 😀). All were great.  It definitely depends on the ship, if not actually the sailing.  Good luck!

1 hour ago, Lena11033 said:

That's not good, I had that happen on Beyond last year although I was in MDR. I got there and took a good 20 mins to even get a drink and then had to wait more for them to take my order. In the mean time the waiter took desert order for the people next to me, they told them after they ate they were done and then he came back to take their order again 🤷‍♀️

By the time my main came out it was over an hour into the service and they hadn't even cleared table from my starter. When I was finished my main it was well past 1.5 since I got there, after 15 mins of waiting I walked out and went to oceanview to get ice cream.

That being said I dined in all 4 MDR and it was just that one I had that service, I didn't go back to that one

which one had slow service?

we prefer Tuscan and Cyprus..they are smaller..service seemed better!

6 hours ago, jagoffee said:

A year ago we were on Edge in AQ and ordered from the MDR menu in Blu many times. Since Blu is just one deck directly above the MDR it is easy. Have no idea why they placed Luminae at the other end of the ship on basically the top deck !!!!

Also don't know why they eliminated the Sky lounge.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hcat said:

which one had slow service?

we prefer Tuscan and Cyprus..they are smaller..service seemed better!

Normally the service is purely a function of who your waiter is.

We were in Normandy all week last week and had very fast service, which we prefer !!!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, terrydtx said:

@Jim_Iain & @DaKahuna years ago I googled how Tilapia is mostly farm raised in 3rd World countries with no controls over how and what they are fed and raised. After what I read, I refused to ever eat it again. It is used in restaurants and probably by Celebrity because its is so cheap to buy. China and Indonesia are two of the biggest producers of Tilapia and the biggest offenders. My Local HEB grocery store fish manager told me that the Tilapia they sell is fresh and farmed raised in Costa Rica which has better controls and quality, but I still will not eat any.

Same here.  I do not eat Tilapia for the reasons you mention.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bunzini said:

Same here.  I do not eat Tilapia for the reasons you mention.  

Another thing I will never eat is farm raised shrimp from Indonesia, just like Tilapia they have no governmental controls over feed and production methods. If the shrimp are not wild ocean raised and caught, I do not eat them. Some of best quality and tasting shrimp come from the US Gulf Coast and the eastern Florida estuaries. My favorites are the Florida reds caught off eastern Florida and Key West pinks. The old standby brown Gulf shrimp caught off the coast of Texas and Luisiana are also excellent for taste. Last year while in Greece and Italy we enjoyed excellent shrimp caught in the Med and around the Greek Islands.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ProfMHC said:

I agree this level of service is unacceptable and you should have a discussion with the Luminae manager. If you get nowhere there try the food and beverage manager. 

• Like 2