Avid Celebrity Cruiser Looking for Suggestions

peachcreamsicle

Last year, my in-laws celebrated their 50 year anniversary.  At the time, my husband and sister-in-law decided that in lieu of getting an anniversary gift, they’d treat their parents to a family cruise.  This seemed like a great idea at the time.  My in-laws don’t spend much on themselves, and treating them to a cruise where the whole family can spend quality time together seemed like a no-brainer.  

Fast forward to nearly a year later, and my husband and SIL have yet to book this family vacation.  We’ve tried on a few occasions, only to run into scheduling conflicts and conflicting ideas of what would constitute an enjoyable cruise.  My husband and I are recently married and do not have kids yet.  As a result, we can take vacations anytime, often capitalizing on off-season discounts.  My SIL and her husband have two teenagers (17 and 16), and need to plan around their kids’ school and activity schedules.  Any cruise they book must take place during summer, Christmas or spring break and have an abundance of waterslides and ziplines to keep the teens entertained.  As a result, these cruises tend to be far more expensive and packed with children. 

On her most recent cruise, my SIL spent $12k on a weeklong Carnival cruise over March Break (inside cabins).  My husband and I just got back from a Celebrity California coast cruise (balcony cabin) for under $2k for both of us. I’ve tried so many times, but I just can’t justify paying so much to take my 80 year old in-laws on a loud / obnoxious booze cruise.  

Does anyone have suggestions for a cruiseline / itinerary that would appeal to my in-laws, my SILs family and not be exorbitantly expensive? Please help! 

Yes, I do, look at an X sailing which intrigues you and you find 'reasonable' in terms of cost and itinerary.

In fact select several and ask your IL's which appeals to them the most.

Just remember that you may be footing the bill for the parents yourself if the IL's get upset and decide not to participate.

There will be enough sailings over 'school' break on X that will appeal to the young adults as there will be a few aboard and provide an additional experience that other lines may not offer, especially if you provide them the opportunity to help plan the sailing and port excursions...

Good luck and bon voyage

• Like 2

Interesting problem. You don't mention anything about your in-law's preferences--or are they just going to be along for the ride?

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm in a similar situation where I've been trying to plan a cruise for my family of 13 with complicated scheduling conflicts and age differences. There's 2 grade school kids, 1 infant, 1 in a residency program, and 1 teacher. So the only dates that would work would be summer, spring break, or Christmas. 

We had a cruise on Norwegian Breakaway booked for us but that was canceled due to covid. Next we had Allure of the Seas booked for last year but we had to cancel due to vaccine requirements. Maybe third time's a charm?

At the age of 17 and 16 going on a ship with water slides or "kid" oriented activities isn't a must. In fact, I've read from several reviews saying Celebrity's kids program is a preference because it's often smaller and less chaotic.

Another thing to consider is that the ports of call are often the highlight of the cruise rather than the ship itself.

Good luck planning!

• Like 1

It seems to me that if the whole point of the family cruise is to celebrate the 50 year anniversary of two very special people then the family should pick the vacation that would be most appealing to them and the two teenagers should just put on their big boy pants and deal with it.  My son cruised with us on Celebrity many times in his teen years and somehow he survived to tell the tale.  Celebrity is a great fit for a 50 year anniversary IMHO.  Spring break will likely cost a fortune, but during the summer the prices may be more reasonable.  An alternative is to pick a Royal Carribean ship, but I would suggest one of the older, smaller ones.  Putting a 50 year anniversary couple on one of their mega ships sounds like torture to me.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, phoenix_dream said:

It seems to me that if the whole point of the family cruise is to celebrate the 50 year anniversary of two very special people then the family should pick the vacation that would be most appealing to them and the two teenagers should just put on their big boy pants and deal with it.  My son cruised with us on Celebrity many times in his teen years and somehow he survived to tell the tale.  Celebrity is a great fit for a 50 year anniversary IMHO.  Spring break will likely cost a fortune, but during the summer the prices may be more reasonable.  An alternative is to pick a Royal Carribean ship, but I would suggest one of the older, smaller ones.  Putting a 50 year anniversary couple on one of their mega ships sounds like torture to me.

Well said.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, peachcreamsicle said:

Last year, my in-laws celebrated their 50 year anniversary.  At the time, my husband and sister-in-law decided that in lieu of getting an anniversary gift, they’d treat their parents to a family cruise.  This seemed like a great idea at the time.  My in-laws don’t spend much on themselves, and treating them to a cruise where the whole family can spend quality time together seemed like a no-brainer.  

Fast forward to nearly a year later, and my husband and SIL have yet to book this family vacation.  We’ve tried on a few occasions, only to run into scheduling conflicts and conflicting ideas of what would constitute an enjoyable cruise.  My husband and I are recently married and do not have kids yet.  As a result, we can take vacations anytime, often capitalizing on off-season discounts.  My SIL and her husband have two teenagers (17 and 16), and need to plan around their kids’ school and activity schedules.  Any cruise they book must take place during summer, Christmas or spring break and have an abundance of waterslides and ziplines to keep the teens entertained.  As a result, these cruises tend to be far more expensive and packed with children. 

On her most recent cruise, my SIL spent $12k on a weeklong Carnival cruise over March Break (inside cabins).  My husband and I just got back from a Celebrity California coast cruise (balcony cabin) for under $2k for both of us. I’ve tried so many times, but I just can’t justify paying so much to take my 80 year old in-laws on a loud / obnoxious booze cruise.  

Does anyone have suggestions for a cruiseline / itinerary that would appeal to my in-laws, my SILs family and not be exorbitantly expensive? Please help! 

(If it was me I know what we would do).  You and your husband should consider taking your in-laws on a cruise that you like (cruise line, itinerary and when) and believe that your in-laws would enjoy and tell his sister do the same. I wouldn't be letting the teenagers be the deciding factor of, when, where and with what cruise line for my vacation. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I am guessing that you are Canadian, Vancouver would be a perfect homeport to use.

Avatar is indicating Toronto, they are 800 miles closer to Miami than Vancouver 😆. Although I agree with your Alaska suggestion, assuming summer Alaska rates will be lower than Caribbean Megaships.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Avatar is indicating Toronto, they are 800 miles closer to Miami than Vancouver 😆. Although I agree with your Alaska suggestion, assuming summer Alaska rates will be lower than Caribbean Megaships.

From Toronto, FLL is 3 hours flight, Vancouver is 5 hrs , London is 7 , Lisbon is 7 , Barcelona is 7-1/2 hours and Rome is 8-1/2 hours 

I would pick a cruise in the Med or UK 😁

Teach the kids, something about travelling the world

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, the grandkids can put Grandma and Grandpa first for a week long cruise.  It's wonderful that they have been married for 50 years, but that also means that they are up there age-wise and it's always to do these trips sooner rather than later. 

The nice thing about Alaska is that it is so port intensive, so there is a lot of time off the ship.  The family group could divide up and participate in different port activities, kids and interested adults could do something like a zip-line, while the other adults could do something less active with the grandparents.  There is just so much to do in Alaska.  The best part of the day could be having dinner together each night, and I am sure the grandparents will treasure this family vacation.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, peachcreamsicle said:

It's a lot of work - I know. 

I am traveling with a family of 12 this summer. 

I would start by asking your SIL to give you two date options. 

That's the biggest hurdle.

Once you have two different week options, then find two great cruises. 

Go back to her with two cruise options. 

my recommendation:  1 in the Caribbean; 1 in Alaska 

If you put too much info in front of her, she is going to be overwhelmed. 

I probably would sway you towards RCI. 

And one of their newer ships.

The whistles and bells are very exciting for the teens. 

The grandparents will just enjoy being with the entire family. 

But, no Carnival.  Not this trip.  

Spring break and holiday cruises are the most expensive. 

I would settle on the summer. 

Tell her that. 

Tell her the two date options need to be in the summer months. 

I hope this helps. 

Creating memories is so important.

🛳enJOY 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My wife and I brought our sil, daughter and 3 grand kids on a RCI 52nd anniversary cruise last year(50th cancelled by Covid).  Everyone loved it.  It was an 8 night Caribbean cruise on Allure OTS r/t Ft. Lauderdale.  We had a family conference to decide.  Cruise lines considered:  RCI, Celebrity, Princess and Disney..   They still talk about how much they liked it.  Two of my 3 grans have Cystic Fibrosis and that req'd extra planning.  I was able to get an accessible JS to hold all their medical therapy machines..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, peachcreamsicle said:

On her most recent cruise, my SIL spent $12k on a weeklong Carnival cruise over March Break (inside cabins). 

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how anyone can possibly manage to spend $12k for four people (mom, dad, two teenagers) in inside cabins on Carnival. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

For some reason this situation reminds me of when we built our house... My husband and I had totally different ideas and we had trouble coming to a consensus ... the builder's decorator seemed experienced at this problem... so she would select a few options based on colors I liked and then presented those options to my husband to chose. Come up with options based upon parent's preferences for itinerary and type of cruise experience they would like and then present options based on other family members timeframe needs.  Alaska on Celebrity might overcome lack of zip lines etc. Another thought is a Royal ship... for a Caribbean itinerary... The Freedom and smaller ships would have some of the zip line frills but not as much of the pizzaz and might be both less expensive and less kid filled....than the mega Royal ships. But focus on what parents want.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how anyone can possibly manage to spend $12k for four people (mom, dad, two teenagers) in inside cabins on Carnival. 

Same here.  I did not know that this was possible.  I have sailed on RCL with 4 on the newest ship for much longer and much much less.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This was supposed to be about the 50th anniversary, not sil's kids.

Celebrity for the sake if the honorees.

Find 2 or 3 summer cruises and run them by the couple having the 50th anniversary. Once they have a look, and can give their preferences, if any, then show them to sil. This isn't about the kids, and they will survive the 'not Carnival' cruise.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

Exactly!!!! What the heck!!! We spent about that for a 9 Night Southern Caribbean cruise last July on DCL in a regular verandah for 2 adults and 1 kid (16). DCL is more expensive than most comparable cruise lines.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Same here.  I did not know that this was possible.  I have sailed on RCL with 4 on the newest ship for much longer and much much less.

We took four of us (two adults, two kids) for a week in a 2 bedroom Aqua Theater Suite with a Genie in Star Class... the actual cruise itself was just over $14k. Something doesn't make sense.

• Like 1