The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday April 21st, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Good morning,

Thanks for the great start for today. I am off to see the surgeon this morning. I will find out if I need more therapy. The weather will be sunny but colder. Freeze warning tonight. My cruise will interfere with prime planting time so I will scale back what I will do for flowers this year. I am contemplating having my DIL get me a couple of pretty pots of flowers while I am gone that I can stick in my front garden that the sprinklers reach and call it done. 

I believe we visit todays port on the GA cruise next winter. I will have to check the itinerary. So many of you are so well traveled I don’t think I will ever catch up. I look to you for advice and really appreciate it. 

Prayers to those on the care list. My hats off to @dobiemom  I don’t know how you get any sleep!

Have a great day. 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. This will be our third visit to Puerto Vallarta. We are booked for the same excursion we did on our last visit. Short walking tour, board a bus that eventually takes us up to a very small complex at elevation where we will have a chef walk us through in making guacamole, salsas and our lunch. Of course tequila flows and hopefully will be as much fun as we had last time.

Last night was another dressy night. We originally were booked to eat in Canelleto but just didn’t want that heavy a meal so ate lightly in MDR. Meals have been consistently good with outstanding service. I will say that the desert offerings have been few and rather blah. 
Will be heading to Neptune for a coffee and Continental breakfast as our excursion is set for 8:30.

Have a great day and a special HIGH FIVE to all who make the Daily special.

Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.cf4cafc856785e5ebb08f039077eb4a9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b8cf194d5ceee3fbff5ce3d4eeb8d6c8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5f74449cc2320b871a6f0b74fdad94d8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.18c3b92cc77c88b1bc80a488eb7912fb.jpegimage.jpeg.7f27f8740d553b98eae2c02d5f2c3dcd.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Haha 20

Good Friday morning!  Our project went smoothly yesterday and 450 well rooted Dogwood trees were bagged, wet potting mix added and tagged in 2 hours.  The weather for the project was great for once.  Next big project for me is a talk at a local library on deer and vole control techniques next Thursday.  

Thanks for starting us off with the Daily and Fleet Reports Sandi.   I loved kindergarten and for most of the school year I went for both morning and afternoon sessions and had lunch with my teacher.  The school system didn't want to send a bus 10 miles to and fro to bring me home midday.   Like Sandi my little sister had a mean teacher and I enjoyed hearing her stories about what happened in class each day.  We will be visiting Nuka Hiva in March 2025.  Thanks for the photos Sandi!

@superoma thanks for picking up the cares and celebrations reports for us.   Prayers for all on our care list and for the people of Ukraine.    Thanks for the comestibles each day too.  I will pass on all three.   Have a great Friday and those traveling, safe travels.   Nancy 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

I never went to Kindergarten.  I went to Catholic School and school started with First Grade.  Went to Nuka Hiva on the Eurodam in 2019. Interesting place. I took the excursion with the locals. My pictures are similar to Sandi`s. 

I have to go back to the lab this morning. Seems they did not draw the correct bloodwork.  Oh well.  Then going to lunch with a few friends for my birthday. (not today, it is the 23rd)

Sure was a lot of excitement yesterday regarding the presentation and the release of the new itineraries.  Would love to do a World but I am not sure. 

@superoma Great job. Thanks for keeping us going. I am sure it is a lot of work!

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 27

I have a brain that gets a thought, and loses it immediately, but then it comes back, so @kochleffel before I forget again, it's about the orange cat.  I have read that most orange cats are male.  And that they choose you, you dont choose them. There was a film called A cat named Bob, that my DH and I saw shortly after his brain injury.  It's about a young man going through drug withdrawals and getting straight.  DH was very impressed with this cat in the movie.  The next week after the movie, we were sitting outside, and a large orange kitten appeared. I called him over, and he came to me, I patted my lap and he jumped up, curled up, and fell asleep.  I looked at DH and asked if we could keep him, and he said if I named him Bob I could keep him.  He is much more than a Bob, he's a Boba gingee.  He is the most loving cat.  But he is definitely mine.  I take a nap, and he is next to me like glue.  I sit and watch TV, and he is right next to me.  If I go to bed early, he is right next to me, but when DH comes in the room, he runs off.  He will sit with DH on the sofa, but he wants my attention.

And now, back to my normal fuzzy brain....

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. it is cool for now but will go up to seventy today. Kindergarten was fun when I was small but I think it is more academically inclined nowadays. We have  supported the Red Cross over the years and my DSIL worked for them for twenty years back in the day.We have not been to the port and the recipe sounds interesting. I am unsure what will appear on our tabled tonight.

Thank you Edi.   @superoma for including DH on the list. I will know when the surgery is scheduled after our appointment with the surgeon on 4/27. We will start the pre op checks on Monday. 
We are very impressed with the new aide for Tana. Unfortunately she had a bit of an emergency yesterday with the failure of the oxygen compressor. We have back up tanks that she used until the oxygen company could get here with new equipment. Yikes. All is well that ends well.

Have a great day everyone and thanks to all for the ongoing support.

port and like the recipe. I am not sure what will app

• Like 31

1 hour ago, superoma said:

Well, I posted the list. Unfortunately the formatting of titles didn't carry over from the iPad and I didn’t want to edit after I posted for fear of losing the whole thing. Will format in CC tomorrow! @rafinmd and @JazzyV I can now truly appreciate how much work the list can be. 

grey day with rain forecast here. Hope everyone has a good weekend

I meant to add if anyone has anything to add to the list just let me know. And I couldn’t resist adding international record store day as the newscaster last night said “many people think vinyl is final” so I thought we should celebrate the few record stores still around!

Thank you for supplying the lists @superoma.

You are doing a great job doing a difficult task.

Tomorrow will be my late mam's 93rd birthday.

Graham.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

TRUE! Many people are moved to donate money after disasters occur, but for the Red Cross and other organizations involved in disaster relief, it's important to have funds in hand so that a response doesn't have to wait for money to be raised.

But I don't think that today is American Red Cross Giving Day:

The ninth annual American Red Cross Giving Day is on Wednesday, March 22, 2023. Giving Day takes place in March during Red Cross Month, when we recognize the people who make our mission possible — volunteers, blood donors, people trained in lifesaving skills and our supporters — who step up to aid others when #HelpCantWait.

https://www.redcross.org/donations/ways-to-donate/giving-day.html

I also give blood. They've started informing blood donors about where their blood was used, which felt a bit creepy to me, but I think they want to assure donors that their blood wasn't sent outside the region. I learned yesterday that my March donation was used at Rochester General.

According to this site today is National American Red Cross Giving Day.  Maybe every day should be a day to give money to the Red Cross!

https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/american-red-cross-giving-day/

• Like 20

Good morning from a clear and very windy central Texas.  We definitely had a cool front come through last night.  It is currently 59F and feels like 53F.  I may have to breakdown and put on jeans for my hair cut appointment this morning.  We will reach the mid 70S by afternoon today and tomorrow, but Sunday the high is supposed to be high 50s to low 60s, and this is supposed to be spring.

My school district did not have kindergarten, but the widow of an employee at my father's company ran a private kindergarten which I enjoyed.  I salute the work of the Red Cross.  As a true, native Texan, I will celebrate San Jacinto Day.

By all accounts, the outnumbered Texians, as they were called then, should never have won their independence as they were greatly outnumbered.  After the massacres at the Alamo and Goliad, plus loses in other battles, the San Jacinto battle was a must win.  The Mexican Army's fatal mistake was to stop for their daily siesta.  That was when Sam Houston led his troops to victory.  Santa Anna almost escaped capture that day by dressing in an ordinary soldier's uniform.  Unfortunately for him, a soldier recognized him and started shouting "El Presidente, El Presidente!".  As they say, the rest is history.

Another interesting quote from Emily Dickinson.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  I would love to taste today's wine, but the price is prohibitive.

We have been to Nuka Hiva twice in 2002 and 2004.  We were lucky in 2002 to find a local on the dock who was giving tours.  I'll look for my pictures in a few minutes.

@superoma  Eva, thanks for the great job with the lists.

@dobiemom  I'm glad you found a position you can sleep in more or less comfortably.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope the planting goes well today.  The trial stay with Ivan sounds like a good way to determine if you are both a good fit.

@cat shepard  Ann, I'm glad you got the refrigerator, and that the salesman extended the sale for you.  Great news that it will be delivered today.

@aliaschief  Bruce, enjoy Puerto Vallarta.  Thanks for the great memes.

@marshhawk  Annie, thanks for the story about Bob.

@mamaofami  Carol, I hope that your DH does not have pneumonia.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm glad Tana's aide was able to handle the emergency so well.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Off to PT today but DH is heading to pulmonologist to diagnose fluid in his lungs. Hoping it’s not pneumonia which he has a tendency to get. 
Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Carol, I pray your DH does not have pneumonia again!  Hopefully they can help him with the fluid retention and get him back to good health quickly.

15 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. it is cool for now but will go up to seventy today. Kindergarten was fun when I was small but I think it is more academically inclined nowadays. We have  supported the Red Cross over the years and my DSIL worked for them for twenty years back in the day.We have not been to the port and the recipe sounds interesting. I am unsure what will appear on our tabled tonight.

Thank you Edi.   @superoma for including DH on the list. I will know when the surgery is scheduled after our appointment with the surgeon on 4/27. We will start the pre op checks on Monday. 
We are very impressed with the new aide for Tana. Unfortunately she had a bit of an emergency yesterday with the failure of the oxygen compressor. We have back up tanks that she used until the oxygen company could get here with new equipment. Yikes. All is well that ends well.

Have a great day everyone and thanks to all for the ongoing support.

I'm so glad the new aide was able to handle that emergency yesterday with Tana's oxygen.  That must be a relief to the family.  Keeping you, your DH, Tana and entire family in our thoughts and prayers.🙏

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

We have been fortunate to visit Nuka Hiva twice. in 2002 on the Volendam APEC cruise and in 2004 on the Tahitian Princess.  In 2002, there were no tours offered as it was a relatively new port, but we were lucky to find a French lady who gave tours in her Land Rover Discovery.  The first group of pictures are from our 2002 tour.  I will not show the Survivor Beach again.

On our tour, we drove into the interior of the island, and our first stop was at a small hotel and restaurant where we had a beer and fried taro, which was good.  We also got a look at their hydroponic garden and some of their fields.  I thought the gardens might interest the Garden Club.

IMG_2267.thumb.JPG.2d7df6079833af6e4a3e82451a7209ed.JPG

IMG_2275.thumb.JPG.b57e376e2701224d01d75db0644247f0.JPG

IMG_2277.thumb.JPG.411afacf4c9e737b2f123069656cc128.JPG

IMG_2281.thumb.JPG.fe759fb853ce75c33861a1be862955c0.JPG

A look down at the road and a village nestled in a valley

IMG_2288.thumb.JPG.52c74943e747010052e95bbe21c698ab.JPG

IMG_2298.thumb.JPG.119f80e60409bae44ae2a443d0e284a2.JPG

Our next stop was a marae, a Polynesian religious site.

IMG_2315.thumb.JPG.5e8d34ce6fedeb28e62bd179a928b2d4.JPG

IMG_2318.thumb.JPG.331b8ec162ad50f8e1fa9f52e0254762.JPG

IMG_2319.thumb.JPG.c9fd2a5e944a3e912672ad7dae0e3d7c.JPG

Next was the remains of a church

IMG_2328.thumb.JPG.9445d34d757b8f4dd7f9caea750fdca5.JPG

Back in town, we stopped at the local church and a statue of John Paul II

IMG_2334.thumb.JPG.eb797aa4e44d3cf8beda17b1579fe382.JPG
IMG_2332.thumb.JPG.efbcee029b0d322147cde545c032ce7f.JPG

Back at the dock, the Executive Chef, F&B Manager, etc, were buying the fresh catch from local fishermen.  They told us the fish were for the crew and not for the passengers.

IMG_2342.thumb.JPG.8779b4b20769e60cadffb49430add248.JPG

IMG_2350.thumb.JPG.6c9de4c8357926c090e3f16f61ca679c.JPG

In 2004, we stayed in town and walked around.  We also took a truck to a restaurant on top of a hill where we had the most expensive cokes at $7 each.  The expensive view of town from the restaurant and the restaurant.

IMG_3977.thumb.JPG.da09e525e6d4ef5b821247d0c9169e15.JPG

IMG_3982.thumb.JPG.9e227b69d202ac6f94eb393dac6b6d36.JPG

A pretty tree or bush

IMG_3986.thumb.JPG.9c58ca92c0b7be21b907de7fcbcce818.JPG

IMG_3984.JPG

The tender dock

IMG_3987.thumb.JPG.499f2642f65678e665f50cd26a6acb48.JPG

The sunset at Nuka Hiva

IMG_3990.thumb.JPG.342940b98cb7f72a1b14d8e68a3d7457.JPG

Lenda

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Good morning Dailyites. 

A beautiful morning here in Georgetown, but it was a crazy night last night. Hail, winds, heavy rain. Our backyard flooded! We had girls night and we stopped playing cards and sat outside watching the storm.

Tonight is a band and dancing. There's 5 couples at our table. We are having cocktail hour at our house, then decided I would make lasagna and others are bringing food to add. 

We were just in Nuka Hiva in Feb/Mar on the Hawaii/Tahiti cruise (Koningsdam) I was amazed at the beautiful shells. Never saw shells like those. 

Thank you to all who contribute faithfully. You keep our family together. 

Lifting blessings to you and wish you a lovely weekend. 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We have been fortunate to visit Nuka Hiva twice. in 2002 on the Volendam APEC cruise and in 2004 on the Tahitian Princess.  In 2002, there were no tours offered as it was a relatively new port, but we were lucky to find a French lady who gave tours in her Land Rover Discovery.  The first group of pictures are from our 2002 tour.  I will not show the Survivor Beach again.

On our tour, we drove into the interior of the island, and our first stop was at a small hotel and restaurant where we had a beer and fried taro, which was good.  We also got a look at their hydroponic garden and some of their fields.  I thought the gardens might interest the Garden Club.

IMG_2267.thumb.JPG.2d7df6079833af6e4a3e82451a7209ed.JPG

IMG_2275.thumb.JPG.b57e376e2701224d01d75db0644247f0.JPG

IMG_2277.thumb.JPG.411afacf4c9e737b2f123069656cc128.JPG

IMG_2281.thumb.JPG.fe759fb853ce75c33861a1be862955c0.JPG

A look down at the road and a village nestled in a valley

IMG_2288.thumb.JPG.52c74943e747010052e95bbe21c698ab.JPG

IMG_2298.thumb.JPG.119f80e60409bae44ae2a443d0e284a2.JPG

Our next stop was a marae, a Polynesian religious site.

IMG_2315.thumb.JPG.5e8d34ce6fedeb28e62bd179a928b2d4.JPG

IMG_2318.thumb.JPG.331b8ec162ad50f8e1fa9f52e0254762.JPG

IMG_2319.thumb.JPG.c9fd2a5e944a3e912672ad7dae0e3d7c.JPG

Next was the remains of a church

IMG_2328.thumb.JPG.9445d34d757b8f4dd7f9caea750fdca5.JPG

Back in town, we stopped at the local church and a statue of John Paul II

IMG_2334.thumb.JPG.eb797aa4e44d3cf8beda17b1579fe382.JPG
IMG_2332.thumb.JPG.efbcee029b0d322147cde545c032ce7f.JPG

Back at the dock, the Executive Chef, F&B Manager, etc, were buying the fresh catch from local fishermen.  They told us the fish were for the crew and not for the passengers.

IMG_2342.thumb.JPG.8779b4b20769e60cadffb49430add248.JPG

IMG_2350.thumb.JPG.6c9de4c8357926c090e3f16f61ca679c.JPG

In 2004, we stayed in town and walked around.  We also took a truck to a restaurant on top of a hill where we had the most expensive cokes at $7 each.  The expensive view of town from the restaurant and the restaurant.

IMG_3977.thumb.JPG.da09e525e6d4ef5b821247d0c9169e15.JPG

IMG_3982.thumb.JPG.9e227b69d202ac6f94eb393dac6b6d36.JPG

A pretty tree or bush

IMG_3986.thumb.JPG.9c58ca92c0b7be21b907de7fcbcce818.JPG

IMG_3984.JPG

The tender dock

IMG_3987.thumb.JPG.499f2642f65678e665f50cd26a6acb48.JPG

The sunset at Nuka Hiva

IMG_3990.thumb.JPG.342940b98cb7f72a1b14d8e68a3d7457.JPG

Lenda

Nice selection of interesting photos Lenda.

Graham.

• Like 11

Good Friday Morning Dailyites!  Yesterday was non stop, and I wish I could sleep late to make up for the hours I stayed up too late. But my body says GET UP at the same time each day.  I know yesterday was a busy day on the Daily and I need to get back to read it.

DH's oncologist is sending him back to the ENT regarding the problems with swallowing, and it turns out that his "ticks" are currently causing some of the problems with his nose.  DH's cancer was on his face, and by the time that he finally addressed it, the surgeon said that if he had waited another week or two, he would have died from it.  BUT while the surgeon was great at rebuilding his face, he was happy with his work, he cared nothing for the patient.  And so, the cancer kept growing until I finally told DH's dermatologist that while he may have been impressed with the surgery, DH didnt have an oncologist.  He got up, made a call, grabbed DH by the hand, took him downstairs and introduced him to the man who now cares for DH.  And then of course the chemo started, and then the radiation, not the surgeries.  So much damage was done because DH was trying to be his own primary physician, so now post fall, add in the brain damage, and now DH is rubbing his nose all the time, yes it does run, because of the damage done to the tear ducts and the nose, but even when it is not running, or his eyes are not running, it has become such a habit to rub, that he has created, by rubbing, an ulcer in his nose, he rubbed his eyes enough to create that infection, which another surgery stopped, but the only thing at this time the doctor said that would stop it, is for me to nag him not to pick, or rub.  Watching someone 24/7 is a hard job.  Currently the damage to the throat from the radiation  is what is causing the swallowing problem.  BUT it started on day about two months ago and when I asked DH about it he said he was just fooling around, but now he cant stop it.  And I think that now, the really good doctor is beginning to understand the amount of brain change in DH. I did mention that while DH complains of the pain in his mouth every time he is at the docs, and they all have him on some pretty heavy medicine, that he doesnt seem to complain about the pain when he is doing something he likes.  He thinks the pain, it may or may not be there.  Hoping the adventures in Alaska leave him pain free for a couple of weeks.

Any way, enough about what I cant control.....

If you happen to see an ad for a concert with Bela Fleck this spring summer or fall, go!!!!  I was not sure what to expect.  He is a banjo player who has written classical music for the banjo, and I have been selling tickets for his shows for several symphonies as a telemarketer, but never heard him.  He is doing a new tour this year, and WOW.  It was not blue grass, or classical.  He has combined his talent with three other musicians who are all giants in their own right,  Zakir Hussain (tabla) Edgar Meyer (double bass) and Rakesh Chaurasia (flute),  pure musical fusion.  I bought the tickets as an early birthday gift to myself, and they were selling an early release of their ALBUM and CD.  I bought the CD too.  I hope that it makes me as happy listening to it as it was to watch these musicians.  

Sample

All-I-need-is-strong-coffee-and-a-short-friday-meme-7567.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, everyone!

@superoma Eva, fantastic job on the Care and Celebrations List this morning!  What a debut!   Thank you for all of your efforts.

@dobiemom I'm glad you were able to find a comfortable position to get at least a couple hours sleep.  

@JazzyV Safe travels today and have a wonderful time!

@kazu I sure hope Ivan works out.  He could be a wonderful companion.

It is a bit cooler today here in mid-Michigan.  I'm meeting high school friends for lunch today and then DS Mary Jo and I are going for ice cream.  Our favorite ice cream store is open for the season.  Normally I go for chocolate but they have a flavor that I adore:  lemon bar.  It is rich and creamy as well as light and bright.  I guess I am my father's daughter as he liked anything lemon.  

Last night was not a good one.  I was congested when I first went to bed and couldn't get comfortable or to sleep, even with using my nasal spray.  Sometimes that happens.  So, I got up and read for a while.  I'm feeling it today.  

Today's meal could be very good.  I'm not a big fan of soy and ginger, but don't dislike them.  I'd give it a try.  https://www.thespruceeats.com/ginger-soy-steamed-fish-recipe-695140

soyandgingersteamedfish2.jpg.60627d5604e81c0efb61112d8796b551.jpg

This one is colorful and sounds so good and pretty easy to do.  https://www.marionskitchen.com/steamed-soy-and-ginger-fish/

Soyandgingersteamedfish3.jpg.edcf21dac34355106544c59be0c8c8aa.jpg

This one uses some julienned carrots, so I chose this for the carrot lovers.  https://delightfulplate.com/steamed-fish-ginger-soy-sauce/

Soyandgingersteamedfish4.thumb.jpg.5923e277e0c1c22d31107692c8fb774a.jpg

I hope someone is adventurous enough to give this a try and report back.  

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 10

a thank you all for the Daily contributions today!  

Thunderstorms during the night, and phones went off with Tornado Warning at 1 AM.  Luckily the tornado had a brief appearance west of us but disappeared before reaching us.  Warning alarm woke the dogs, yep, that means the whole house.   Gotta love our furry pets.  They made sure we could wake up.  

TGIF!  High-5s to those celebrating, cruising, and receiving good news.

Prayers to those in need 🙏🏻

• Like 23

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  We didn’t have kindergarten when I started school; it became a thing in our small town about 5 years later. 

Well, we’re still in this season I’m calling Sprinter, as it should really be Spring because the robins are back, but we’ve had nothing but snow for the past 3 days.  Our friends are still with us and we’re keeping them entertained by playing Sequence and tile rummy.  And cooking.  Normally DH and I eat smaller meals, but our friend has to take meds 4 times a day with food, so I’ve seen more of the kitchen this past week than you could imagine.  On Wednesday we were able to drive them to their appointments before the roads got really bad, and yesterday we ventured out to a couple of greenhouses just to get some fresh air. Unfortunately it’s a little too early for the greenhouses to have much stock, but it gave them (and us) an outing.  It snowed again overnight, but the temperature is supposed to be rising, so they may be able to go home after lunch today.  We’ll see. 

I haven’t had a lot of time to read the daily the past few days, so want to extend my woo hoo’s for the happy things and cyber hugs for the not so good happenings.  If I recall though, @JazzyV is leaving today, so safe travels to her!

Time to get breakfast started, so prayers for all today.  Stay safe, I’ll hopefully be able to check in later.  Oh, I’d like to try todays wine but haven’t won the lottery, so it will remain on the list.  And I’m going to try to find a pizza that is gluten/dairy free for our friend in case they can’t leave today because it’s Friday night pizza night at the dining table tonight.  And wine.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 1