The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday May 6th, 2023

Today is Beverage Day, National Scrapbook Day, and National Herb Day

I no longer believed in the idea of soul mates, or love at first sight. But I was beginning to believe that a very few times in your life, if you were lucky, you might meet someone who was exactly right for you. Not because he was perfect, or because you were, but because your combined flaws were arranged in a way that allowed two separate beings to hinge together.--Lisa Kleypas, Blue-Eyed Devil

Meal Suggestion for today - Slow Cooker Mac & Cheese
Drink of the Day - Cucumber Martini
Wine of the Day - Terrazas de los Andes Malbec Reserva, Mendoza, Argentina
Destination of the Day - Moreton Island, Queensland Australia

Today in History:
1626 Dutch colonist Peter Minuit organizes the purchase of Manhattan Island from Native Americans for 60 guilders worth of goods, believed to have been Canarsee Indians of the Lenape Native American tribe.

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 15:00

Koningsdam

Vancouver, Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 5-07

Nieuw Statendam

Barcelona, Spain 07:00 - 16:00

Noordam

Victoria, BC, Canada  07:00 - 23:00

Oosterdam

Casablanca, Morocco 07:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Amsterdam, Holland 08:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Seattle, Washington eta 5-07 

Zaandam

Boston, Massachusetts 07:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Port Everglades eta 5-12

image.thumb.png.560fbb352f4b44d7f10353a274e42fbf.png

image.thumb.png.9ffa7574638b27da453cc298592249ec.png

Sandi for Rich

• Like 19
  • Thanks 15

Thank you for today's daily reports Sandi and Rich.

We have been watching the Kings coronation for a few hours and it is an amazing occasion with lovely classical music being played in Westminster abbey.

It was love at first sight when Pauline and I first saw each other and we still feel the same 45 years later.

I wish HAL would sail from Southampton where 30 of our 63 cruises have sailed from and where our next 5 P&O cruises are departing from.  We are not keen flyer's and would love to meet some of the Dailyites who have made me so welcome on this thread.

My prayers 🙏 to all who are unwell.

Good wishes to all who are currently or soon to cruise.

God bless you all.

• Like 30

Good morning friends!  It is 57F but it will rise to 76 and be mostly cloudy all day.  I hope the weather isn't rainy in Louisville, Kentucky today for the running of the Kentucky Derby.🏇  I always feel badly for the horses, the jockies and the onlookers wearing their Derby best.  It's also Coronation Day for King Charles III.  Best of luck to him and I hope all goes as planned.👑

Thank you Rich @richwmn for our Daily and Fleet Report information.  The days we are celebrating today besides those I just mentioned are National Beverage Day.  That's a pretty broad topic so pick your favorite and enjoy! 🥂 We also will salute National Herb Day for their importance in our cooking. 🌿 Things would get pretty dull without them.  And how about National Scrapbook Day? 📓 I know many people who like to chronicle important and everyday events in their lives.  I personally feel photo books are a way of scrapbooking so I will try to honor the day by working on my photo book from one of my last cruises.  I am way behind and trying to catch up.  

The quote is long and by Lisa Keypas so it sounds like an excerpt from a book.  I have not read any of her books.  Perhaps @0106 will have something to say about her and this quote.  Rich's Day in History concerns the important purchse of Manhatten Island in 1626.  The end of the quote was cut off so I did my best to clarify.  I hope I am correct but if not, I did my best.🙂

The meal suggestion is slow cooker mac & cheese.  Sounds like comfort food and I know Debbie @dfish will have several versions for us to peruse.  Drink of the day is Cucumber Martini 🍸 and the wine an Argentinian Malbec.🍷  I will pass on both but thank Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for their input on them. 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list this morning.🙏  We hope to hear that Pat and Mary Kay's surgeries went well.  Fast healing to you both!  Cheers for our Celebration list folks.  Bon Voyage to those embarking today on ships, too!  We've got quite a few BHB's on the Alaska run as you can see by the maps.  🚢

The port of the day is Moreton Island, in Queensland Australia.  I see that it is located just 36 miles from Brisbane.  This is the first time ever for that port here so I have no links.  I also have no photos since I've not been there before.  I do enjoy Brisbane though so I'm sure I would feel the same way about Moreton Island.  I hope we get to see some photos from there today!

I do hope everyone here enjoys their day no matter what they do.  Have a great weekend as well.  I'm going to get on that treadmill and possibly run over to the gym after breakfast.  That's good because it's National Fitness Day too.  Take care!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!

I am up early because we are heading north to see Sue's DGD's soccer game.  It starts at 9 and we are meeting DGD and her other grandmother at a restaurant for breakfast in Reed City first.  So, we'll need to be on the road by 6:30 am.

Today's meal is definite comfort food.   The version for today is meant to be done in a crock pot or slow cooker.  But, you can always assemble it and put it in the oven.  

This recipe calls for pre-cooking the macaroni.   There are some strange ingredients but also an assurance that it tastes wonderful. 

https://www.spendwithpennies.com/ultra-cream-mac-n-cheese-in-the-slow-cooker/

macandcheeseslowcooker1.thumb.jpg.4e39322ed70e6a62dc15b4a794e2dc38.jpg

This next one uses cream cheese to achieve a creamy texture for the cheese sauce. 

https://www.themagicalslowcooker.com/slow-cooker-mac-and-cheese/

macandcheeseslowcooker2.thumb.jpg.59236456d51d0ba684937ac46ad90252.jpg

And this one is a contribution from Tricia Yearwood.  

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/trisha-yearwood/crockpot-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe-2107509

macandcheeseslowcooker3.jpeg.bf41aed0c4f1b7f57352f32d95fea192.jpeg

So, tell us, what is your secret ingredient for mac and cheese?

Wishing you all a wonderful day.  

• Like 21
  • Thanks 11

Cucumber Martini cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts EFFEN® Cucumber Vodka
1 1/2 parts dry vermouth
Cucumber Wheel

Instructions
Shake over ice, strain and serve in martini glass. Garnish with a cucumber wheel.

Screenshot 2023-05-06 at 6.17.08 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 12

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

It should be a nice spring day here, with a high of 19°C.

My beverage of choice at this time of day, is a mug English Breakfast Tea.  With dinner tonight, I'm sure the beverage will be wine.  I grow some herbs to use in cooking.  I'm not a scrapbooker.

Love the quote.

Thanks for the recipe, I rarely make mac and cheese.  The drink sounds good, hope the wine is tasty too.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of today's port.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

• Like 22

Thank you Sandi & Rich for today’s R & D! Rich it is hard to believe that your cruise is in its final stages. Your critters will be so happy to see you!

Eva, thank you for keeping our lists. Today is a bit cloudy and we might have much needed showers. I know the humidity rolled in late yesterday afternoon - it was like two totally different days. 

I have plans for tomorrow morning, so I am doing tomorrow’s routine today. Gym, Aldi, Bindi walks, chores then dinner at a friend’s. 

IMG_1244.jpeg.386aa3f427d642f7d246a349689d2d60.jpeg

The antidote for the above is….

IMG_1269.jpeg.47ae0246bbfbd3a6a70871b0ec4c5f8e.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Terrazas de los Andes Malbec 2021 Reserva, Mendoza, Argentina

I used the 2021 vintage info since not only would it be easiest to find, but it had the best review of the past few vintages. Available from numerous online distributors with prices starting at $15.95.

Winemaker Notes

Bright red color with purple shades. Intense floral and fruity notes. Presence of violets, ripe black cherry and plum aromas. Reveals a toasty and spicy character of black pepper and chocolate. Its sweet and juicy mouthfeel delivers finesse, delicate tannins and an elegant finish of black fruits.

JS94 James Suckling

Such a beautiful, fresh nose with tons of wild herbs, thyme, rosemary, sour cherries and flowers. Very linear and bright on the palate, charged with silky, fine-grained tannins and fine austerity. You can literally smell the herbs and the wild flowers from the vineyard. Pristine but intense and so fresh and precise. Pure fruit! Insane value for a $20 bottle. Drink now.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

The quote is long and by Lisa Keypas so it sounds like an excerpt from a book.  I have not read any of her books. 

I have not read any of Keypad’s books but did a bit of research.  She is primarily a romance writer and this quote of from a series about the Travis family.  It is frequently used during wedding ceremonies because it explains how love is all about two different people who fit together perfectly.

I will be driving to an Amish farm in Lancaster, PA in a few minutes to buy my annuals.  I’ll be picking up some herbs in honor of the day too.

IMO, macaroni & cheese must be baked.  The best part is the crunchy topping.  I use panko sometimes mixed with Parmesan cheese.

Positive thoughts to those that need them. Cheers to those celebrating.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Tana and I have been up watching the Coronation and enjoying it. I made three different quiches for our breakfast but like the looks of Graham’s. @grapau27 repast. So far, only DD has joined the watching party….

I am very boring in the beverage department. Other than my morning coffee, I drink water the rest of the day. I have made a few scrapbooks in my time but not recently.Macaroni and cheese is popular here and I think I will try it in the slow cooker.Dinner plans tonight are for bean and cheese enchiladas.

Things are a lot smoother here as Tana has responded well to her medication. Weekends are interesting without the aide but she deserves a rest after the week she and Tana had. I plan to take a long walk with the dogs and it will be 70 degrees later this afternoon. 

Enjoy the day everyone!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. Tana and I have been up watching the Coronation and enjoying it. I made three different quiches for our breakfast but like the looks of Graham’s. @grapau27 repast. So far, only DD has joined the watching party….

I am very boring in the beverage department. Other than my morning coffee, I drink water the rest of the day. I have made a few scrapbooks in my time but not recently.Macaroni and cheese is popular here and I think I will try it in the slow cooker.Dinner plans tonight are for bean and cheese enchiladas.

Things are a lot smoother here as Tana has responded well to her medication. Weekends are interesting without the aide but she deserves a rest after the week she and Tana had. I plan to take a long walk with the dogs and it will be 70 degrees later this afternoon. 

Enjoy the day everyone!

Thank you Terry.

I'm really pleased Tana is responding well to her medication.

Sarah is here with us so we are drinking Cava and Orange juice.

I hope you have a lovely walk with the dogs.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning from Arizona!!  Got up super early to watch the Coronation though I missed the first little part.  Interesting pomp and circumstance!!

Quote is interesting - thought I found my soulmate 40 years ago but I guess I wasn't his (LOL!!).  

Thoughts for those on the care list.

Have a great day everyone!!

• Like 23

Good morning everyone.  To celebrate the day I’d like a glass of orange juice with an omelette with fresh herbs.  I don’t really know much about scrapbooking but hats off to those who do.  I do know that I would love today’s meal suggestion, the drink would be too vermouthy for me.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events and to King Charles and Queen Camilla!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet report. 

Beautiful sunny day today. 

Lots of chores to do today. Taking the cat to the vet for a checkup and bloodwork. Yard work must be done. Laundry. All those fun things. 

In 22 days, I will be sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam through Alaska. In 21 days, I will be spending the day flying to Anchorage. This will be fun.

Thinking of everyone today. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

• Like 25

Saturday May 6 care and celebration list

Jodiesme1 mother and Her DH with Covid in Guatemala 

Crabby Patti caring for DF  who is no longer ambulatory

Jazzyv falling and bruising her knees

Cunnorl recovering from surgery 

Cruzn single recuperating

Vict0rian’s DH Pat recuperating

Tana with pneumonia and worsening pulmonary fibrosis 

Tupper10 with post op pain but doing ok

Too many shooting victims every day

Citizens of Ukraine and the Sudan 

From the rotation:

Status of St. Louis Sal(6/29/22) and JAM37 (6/20/22)

Status of irishjim (10/31/22)

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Celebrations

Coronation of King Charles III

Durangoscots retirement

Cruzn single stepson with successful non cancerous tumour removal

NextOne not needing any procedures, July cruise is on!

Luvteaching DH making progress on mobility

Surgery date for smitty34877 DH

Father David on a pilgrimage for 3 weeks (May 21)

Bennybear feeling better

Mamaofami’s dh pneumonia free

Mamaofami with good oncology report

Ocean sounds in London for coronation 

Dfish and DS restoring order in the house

Rafinmd fleshing out September and November cruises

RMLincoln good eye report  surgery date for other eye

Good news on bone scan for vict0rian’s DH Pat

St Pete cruiser on the way home

Ivan settling in with kazu 

Welcome back 

Overhead Fred

AV8rix, 

Dismomx5 

HAL4NOW 

Cruising-along 

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming

Bon voyage Cruising sister (Nieuw Statendam 5/6to 5/28)

1 days Marshhawk (Nieuw Amsterdam 5/7 to 5/21)

Cruising

USN59-79 (Westerdam to 5/7), 

Lobsternight (Nieuw Amsterdam to 5/7)

Lazey1 (volendam to 5/10)

Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/12), 

Sharon in AZ (Volendam to 5/17) at sea

Jazzyv cruise (celebrity apex) and vacation to 5/28

• Like 13
  • Thanks 15

Fingers crossed I got everything today.watching the coronation but missed the beginning, doing laundry and getting my Rouladen ready to go into the slow cooker. 

lovely sunshine again. Will be a busy but good day

• Like 19

Good  morning! Long live the King. Got a little extra sleep in but could have used some more. Little overcast a there is a good chance of rain so maybe the birthday party will be held in clubhouse. Either way I’m getting psyched for six screaming girls enjoying themselves.

Other than that the day will be spent entertaining grandchildren and maybe a break to watch the Derby.

We received some up dates on our World Cruise and was thrilled that a day trip

flight to the Taj Mahal is included at no cost for those booked for entire cruise. 
It’s back to entertaining and feeding. Have a great weekend. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.e83378fb5932355c08c45e2f08a105e8.jpegimage.jpeg.3bd53ee24e85e8161a972500401925eb.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.dfd3df5e3c9b0abfec20d6101e976838.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d08a3b590bf5b678ca53377f1d4435c9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.37944040b5e76fd2aacbfc9f1120091a.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Haha 16

Happy Coronation Day.  Thank you Rich, Sandy, Eva, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann.  I can't believe it's almost 9.  An interesting quote and collection of days.  I have not been to Moreton Island.  I would enjoy the meal of the day but would prefer baked and will not make it.  The Mac & Cheese from Panera was my dinner after my visit with the dentist.  My alternative menu suggestion is Apple and Bacon Pannenkoek my lunch in Amsterdam after disembarking MS Nieuw Statendam.

lunch05.jpg

Roy

• Like 27

Good morning.  Thankfully I woke up at 6 so I could see most of the coronation of King Charles.   We wish him well.    I went out to put the bird suet out and in the middle of the night some animal came and dug up plants that I had out behind the house and of course it was the fragile Oak seedlings that I was going to bring to the cabin.  Our forest is almost 100% Maples and it is nice to have some Oaks near the house.   They are present in the UP but not near our cabin.  I hope they survive.  

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports Rich and Sandi.     The wine looks wonderful today and I have had it in the past but the meal and the cocktail are a pass.   @superoma thank you for keeping our care and celebration lists for us each day.   @smitty34877 I am happy that Tana is feeling better with the new medication.   Prayers for everyone else on our list and the people of Ukraine.   

@cruising sister    Bon Voyage! 

Bon Voyage Ship Card | Scribbler   Today is Derby Day!   I like three horses,  Forte the favorite and Derma Sotogake and Mandarin Hero both from Japan.    Some form of exotic bets I will use these three.    

Enjoy your Saturday and the Kentucky Derby!  Nancy  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

I didn't miss the first part... because I was awake as usual.... actually even earlier than usual...:)

Love seeing the places I have been...!!

Sorry... probably not the greatest pic's...was taking them with my phone off of my computer....

PXL_20230506_092347268~2.jpg

PXL_20230506_094702684~2.jpg

PXL_20230506_110405433~2.jpg

Edited by Rowsby
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I do enjoy beverages - usually starting with flavoured tea in the morning and working my way through the day with others.  I've never gotten into scrapbooking, I have enough unfinished projects around without starting another.  Yesterday we bought some little rosemary plants that will remain on our deck for the summer, so I was early in the Herb Day celebration.

I wish King Charles the best.

We'll be off in a short while driving to attend a cousin's funeral in a city about 2 hours from here.  He was in his late 80's and in poor health, so it was a blessing.  Sad, still, but he's not suffering.  We'll attend the service and have been invited to stay for a late lunch with the family, so I won't be enjoying today's menu selection.  I'll tuck the idea away though for another time.  We'll be coming home by early evening so we'll get a chance to sit on the deck and enjoy listening to the night birds sing.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1