The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday May 8th, 2023

5 hours ago, dobiemom said:

Eye update: Had a pressure check this afternoon. It’s lower 👏 so the glaucoma drops are working. Doc says to keep doing what I’m doing (use both eye drops, canNOT lay on my back, tip my head back and look up, or go higher than 2k feet in elevation). He’ll see me again in 4 weeks. 

Marcia, that's good news the eye pressure is lower.  I hope you continue to improve.

1 hour ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

I'm late to the party, but I wanted to comment on Nurses week.  Having just stayed 11 days in Hilo Medical Center, I depended more on my Nurses than I did on my Doctor.  I tried to always treat them well and say thank you, I appreciate that, and you are making a difference, even though I was in pretty poor shape.  I got to know some of them quite well:  The Nurse who had a 1year old boy who cried when she left for work early in the morning.  The nurse whose Dad moved the family to Hawaii when she was a little girl against the families advice and learned to love to surf, fish, cultivate her own garden and follow a healthy lifestyle.  She recently inherited the 9 acres her Dad left her.  Nine acres near Hilo is worth a fortune!  I asked why at almost 60, she was still working?  Her answer:  I know that I am needed here. Amen.  Lastly the lady from just north of New York City.  She came across20230428_091053.thumb.jpg.9e64f2437e1d67ec890111869e904760.jpgas rather tough, no nonsense type.  When I asked how she ended up living in Hilo, she responded that her husband wanted to enjoy their retirement and he had asked her to try it, which she did.  She told me that after 35 years of marriage, they were the happiest they have ever been.  She melted and told me not to worry, I would come back just fine.  

We also found we depended more on the nurses.  Most really are angels in disguise.

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

I may be receiving a bonded pair of cats, although not any of those from the shelters.

Do you remember my adult student who is having a Jewish wedding on Friday and a Bar Mitzvah on Saturday? The following week he moves to California for a new job. He and his husband have a number of pets and could not find a place to rent where they could have all of them. Among their menagerie are two cats who are littermates, and I'm going to meet them (the cats, I mean) on Wednesday.

Paul, I hope you and the cats hit it off, and they become part of the family.

35 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Thanks for the Holland America Line Fleet locations and the Daily.  Have  not visited today's port, thanks for the port photos.

Treated myself to a colourful floral arrangement after my annual CT scan this morning.

@superoma  Thank you for your concern, I have been reading the Daily but decided to have a break from posting for a few days.

.@Vict0riann   Thanks for your report on Pat's post-operative progress. Hope he continues to do well.

Thank you for checking in.  Hope you get a good report from the CT scan.

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

With respect to Nurses Week - this past weekend my DW (Lynne) along with more then 150 fellow classmates, celebrated their 50th anniversary of graduation from nursing school. She actually graduated in 1971, but because of Covid they (along with the grads of 1972 & 1973) were only able to do it now. They were bagpiped in, wearing their dark navy blue nursing capes and gold nursing caps – Quite to show! 👩‍⚕️

Capes. How cool. Our class missed out on that,. But we did wear whites and caps for the first time for pinning (1982). Our student uniforms looked very much like the lladro nurse. 
My employer of ~38 years made a huge deal of nurse’s Week and Nurse Recognition Day. There was usually a luncheon with door prizes. In more recent years our bosses took us out for lunch. It was really nice.

9 hours ago, kplady said:

Sandy,

I just finished my Shutterfly book for our 39 day cruise(s)....I had to rush it because I had a coupon for free unlimited pages that expired on Sunday!  They're submitted, just waiting to receive them. (I had to do it in 2 books because they have a maximum of 110 pages, and at that point I still had 6 days to go!!)

Laura

+

If it helps any, Blurb has really good prices and I think the largest book is in the high 400 pages. I’ve done a number of coffee table books that size.

5 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Thank you, Fred.   I’m not too worried, I just hope it’s having a good time, as long as the battery holds out!  

So did you leave your AirTag on accident?

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good evening, 

A quick check-in as I'm so tired and I'll update more tomorrow. DH is doing well and today was his 83rd birthday. He did well today getting up and getting in the wheelchair and we got outside to enjoy the nice weather. 

The best gift of all, in my opinion, was the birth this morning of our second great-granddaughter of the heart. She was born at 5:40 AM and is named Ivy Dawn! Love it!

Karen

• Like 20

29 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Good evening, 

A quick check-in as I'm so tired and I'll update more tomorrow. DH is doing well and today was his 83rd birthday. He did well today getting up and getting in the wheelchair and we got outside to enjoy the nice weather. 

The best gift of all, in my opinion, was the birth this morning of our second great-grand daughter of the heart. She was born at 5:40 AM and is named Ivy Dawn! Love it!

Karen

Karen, please wish your DH a belated HAPPY 83RD BIRTHDAY for us.  Congratulations on the second great grand daughter,

Lenda

• Like 9

2 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Good evening, 

The best gift of all, in my opinion, was the birth this morning of our second great-granddaughter of the heart. She was born at 5:40 AM and is named Ivy Dawn! Love it!

Karen

Happy 83rd birthday to your husband Karen.

83rd-birthday-49.gif

• Like 8

@StLouisCruisers Georgia Public Broadcasting will air the current episode of Call the Midwife at 3 am on May 13.  Set your DVR and you won’t miss it.  It was the season finale with Trixie’s wedding.

Good show.

As an update.  I was in touch with Beaufort County Probate Court and they were very helpful.  I really don’t need an attorney and they want minimal info and only one form completed with some documentation.  It will take about 3 months to process but but it will get done.

It should not be too hard to get done.  

Thanks to all who expressed concern for our situation.

Terri

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Nice to hear from @erewhon!  Hope the results are very good from the CT scan.  Maybe you know already and thus the flowers in celebration?

6 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Good evening, 

Karen

Happy belated 83rd birthday to your DH!!  That really was a gift with Ivy Dawn's birth.  Dawn is a perfect middle name for an early morning baby.  Congrats to all!

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

@StLouisCruisers Georgia Public Broadcasting will air the current episode of Call the Midwife at 3 am on May 13.  Set your DVR and you won’t miss it.  It was the season finale with Trixie’s wedding.

Good show.

As an update.  I was in touch with Beaufort County Probate Court and they were very helpful.  I really don’t need an attorney and they want minimal info and only one form completed with some documentation.  It will take about 3 months to process but but it will get done.

Terri

Oh, I saw the last episode of Call the Midwife Sunday night.  I even kept it on my DVR in case I want to watch again.  Poor Trixie did have everything go wrong, didn't she?  But in the end things worked out just fine.  Felt terrible about the young mother with the unfortunate ending though.

Great news about the legal situation.  That will be a relief to have finished up.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, dobiemom said:

Eye update: Had a pressure check this afternoon. It’s lower 👏 so the glaucoma drops are working. Doc says to keep doing what I’m doing (use both eye drops, canNOT lay on my back, tip my head back and look up, or go higher than 2k feet in elevation). He’ll see me again in 4 weeks. 

So glad to hear that your pressure has improved 👏 But ugh, on all the restrictions for another 4 weeks 😔 Hang in there.  Prayers for continued improvement 🙏🏻 

8 hours ago, kochleffel said:

I may be receiving a bonded pair of cats, although not any of those from the shelters.

Do you remember my adult student who is having a Jewish wedding on Friday and a Bar Mitzvah on Saturday? The following week he moves to California for a new job. He and his husband have a number of pets and could not find a place to rent where they could have all of them. Among their menagerie are two cats who are littermates, and I'm going to meet them (the cats, I mean) on Wednesday.

Oh how wonderful 👍  Fair warning - I had a meeting with Ivan first and look what happened LOL 😉. I hope the 3 of you hit it off and they have a lovely new home with you 🤞 

7 hours ago, erewhon said:

Thanks for the Holland America Line Fleet locations and the Daily.  Have  not visited today's port, thanks for the port photos.

Treated myself to a colourful floral arrangement after my annual CT scan this morning.

Great to see you posting again 👍. Hoping the CT scan results are good 🤞 

6 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Good evening, 

Karen

A very happy belated birthday to your DH 🎂 

And congratulations on your second great grand daughter.  She will bring you much joy ♥️ 

Terri

Excellent news, Terri 👍. So glad it is not going to be too complicated and you can get things finalized at long last 👍 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good show.

Terri

Terri, that is good news from the Probate Office.  I'm glad you found someone who could help and that it will not necessitate hiring a lawyer.  I know that's a big relief for you.

Lenda

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

During the past year, I've gained an even greater appreciation for nurses.  They are the backbone of the medical profession.  Not only did they take great care of DH, they also took care of me, especially during the most stressful times.  It was a nurse who after all test came back negative, researched and found the cause of DH's night time fevers was a rare side effect of each of the four post op drugs.  Once he was off the drugs, the fever dissappeared.  Being on the front line, they have a better insight into their patients.

When my dad was in the hospital before he died, the nurses took care of all of us.  They even brought us cookies and coffee for an afternoon pick me up.  I think one nurse was more upset with his death than we were.  She couldn't hold back the tears.  They were wonderful to him.  Nurses treat the whole patient, not just a set of symptoms.  And the families that come with the patient are part of the equation.  I will say the doctors involved with dad's care were great to work with as well and kept a close watch on everything.  

@Cruzin Terri great news about the legal help.  

@luvteaching Happy Birthday to your DH and congratulations on the birth of Ivy Dawn.

@kochleffel Crossing my fingers, Paul, that you and the kitties hit it off.

@dobiemom Happy about the good report on  your eyes.  Wishes for continued improvement.

@erewhon Welcome back and add my wishes for good results from the CT to all the others.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

So did you leave your AirTag on accident?

What happened was that I was halfway packed and realized I wanted to put the AirTag in the middle of the suitcase, but couldn't find it.  I asked it to beep, and it sounded like it was beeping from inside my suitcase, so I figured it was in the suitcase already, and I just hadn't noticed.  But perhaps it was beeping from under the bed.  I have no idea what it did, as I thought I had put it in the desk drawer, but possibly it jumped out and hid under the bed - it must have wanted to stay on board!  Now I can follow it as it travels, and compare with where the Fleet Report and Daily says the ship is!  Oh, well, we still have three of them, one each for our suitcases, and Pat can put the third one in his carry-on, as he is the one who carries all the documents,  etc.   (If we ever travel again....)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Capes. How cool. Our class missed out on that,. But we did wear whites and caps for the first time for pinning (1982). 

ADN class of 1981--- whites & caps thru graduation then just whites, thank heavens, until more colorful scrubs came along.

• Like 4

On 5/8/2023 at 7:16 AM, rafinmd said:

Happy Monday and Happy Heavenly Birthday President Truman.  Thank you Rich, Sandi, Eva, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann.  Irises are beautiful and we all deserve to reward ourselves.  The Seneca quote is so true.  I have never been to Martinique.  We do have a great day in history.  I think I'll pass on the chili.  I have never been on a BHB between the dates of May 6 and May 14 so I'm winging it a bit.  Today's alternative is Fruit Salad with Yogurt and Honey, Orange and Radiccio Salad and Beechers Macaroni and Cheese which would have been my choices 4/22/14 if I had not been in Canaletto that day.

Roy

Hey Roy 

Vision OTS is heading to your area soon.

I enjoyed her for the most part. Loved WJ in front and CD Bal. Generous with cookies every day unlike the larger ships.

Next up is Liberty OTS in June after my May 27 on Disney Fantasy.

hope you are well.

• Like 1