The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday May 8th, 2023

Good morning, everyone!

It looks like a nice day today in mid-Michigan.  There are showers forecasted for tonight, but that's ok.  We'll enjoy our morning walk and maybe do some yard work this afternoon.  We ran a lot of errands yesterday and decided to never do that on a weekend again.  There were way to many people out and about.  The big thing is we did get Sue's tv up and running.  We had to get a new Roku as none of the old ones worked.  We couldn't get the remotes to pair with it and we also couldn't get the tv online for the streaming.  But, all is well now!  Now, I can watch my shows and she can watch hers.  

Today's meal is one I've had before.  It is a nice change from regular chili.  This first recipe makes a nice, creamy chili due to the cream cheese and half and half.  https://www.thechunkychef.com/slow-cooker-creamy-white-chicken-chili/

whitechickenchili1.thumb.jpg.196d2aa8f68349cfb038cade8d1b3f97.jpg

The next recipe has a different spice blend.   Use a rotisserie chicken for greater ease in making this recipe.  I like the addition of lime and avocado.  https://www.cookingclassy.com/white-chicken-chili/

whitechickenchili2.thumb.jpg.e9daae430878eb4d34a423cc5d1fedef.jpg

Our last recipe is from the Food Network and it uses a broth rather than a cream liquid.  If you're watching calories, this is the one for you.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/patrick-and-gina-neely/white-chicken-chili-recipe-1922199

whitechickenchili3.thumb.jpeg.bf1d29d3709b17768af8943b4332a411.jpeg

Wishing everyone a wonderful day!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 12

Thank you Sandi, thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Eva, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here!

Stay Safe!

- Jack

• Like 22

Hi everyone,

Not much going on here. Spending a few days in FL for a small getaway. So far its been great. Much nicer weather than at home.

Continued appreciation to everyone who contributes here daily; there are lots of them. I read daily and it is always entertaining and often I learn.

Celebrating National Nurses and National Teachers week(s) ; have both in my family. All do a thankless but rewarding job, it is a calling IMO. 😊

Continued prayers for all.

Take care all, be safe.

Caron

• Like 25

Good morning from a clear and windy central Texas.  The sun is just beginning to make an appearance.  It is currently 70F and should reach 86F this afternoon.  There is no rain predicted until tomorrow afternoon.

This is also National Teacher Appreciation week in the US.

Iris are a favorite flower, but mine are past the blooming stage.  I will reward myself with a clean house at the end of the day.  With Harry S Truman, what you saw was what you got.  He did a good job that he inherited without being informed about a lot of what was going on at the time.

My bearded iris from a couple of years ago.

DSC09244.thumb.JPG.bc2e1ea07b10981fe9010480ae929d8d.JPG

Today's quote is so very true.

We'll pass on the meal and the wine.  I like today's drink and have always seen it listed as a Tequila Sunrise.

We have visited Martinique several times, but always in the pre-digital age.

VE day was an important day in history, and we should not forget the terrible war it ended in Europe.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, congratulations to the Jaguars and Ren.

@aliaschief  Bruce, it was nice of the other grandpa to give you both a small break yesterday.

@kazu  Jacqui, you have a busy day planned.  I hope the elbow doesn't give you any problems.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I'm glad you got some sleep last night.  I was wondering if a small course of low dose Prednisone before the booster would help prevent or lessen a polymyalgia flare-up.  I hope your DH's MOHS procedure goes well next week.  It shouldn't be this hard to settle an estate no matter how complicated.  Wishing you the best on that front.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good Monday morning, a morning of errands here then rain.   We got a bad report on the roads to our cabin so will delay until our neighbor goes in first on May 17.    Hopefully we can stay later this year but it depends on what the Ravens schedule will be when released soon.  We like to go to a game a year but we like September/ early October games.   

We had a beautiful afternoon yesterday and I got a lot done outside.  

Thanks for the Daily Reports Sandi and Rich.   VE Day is definitely a day we need to recognize.    Debbie's recipes today look almost Atkins friendly  but will pass on the sweet drink but the SB looks wonderful. Prayers for all on our care list, the victims of the tragedies in TX and the people of Ukraine. 

We were supposed to go to Martinique in 2022 but for some reason it was pulled off our itinerary.   I think it is on the books for next year so I look forward to photos.   Have a nice Monday!  Nancy 

In honor of Iris Day. 

A bevy of beauties '09.JPG

by alberta spruce.jpg

by stump 2.jpg

iris versicolor by dock.jpg

Lovely Rustler '12.jpg

dirigo red rocket '15.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone.  Thanks to all who keep this thread going.  Such a treat each day.

Dentist today for a cleaning.  Ugh!  But I am a baby with a low pain threshold and pay for the “laughing gas”.  It helps somewhat.  Will stop on the way home for takeout.

Should be a beautiful day and I am waiting patiently for my roses to bloom.  Seeing a lot of buds presently.

Safe travels to those on the road or on a ship.  Finally I feel like things are getting back to normal.

Enjoy your day.  Katherine 

• Like 25

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  My mom always had irises planted in our yard; I liked them, but they bloomed for such a short time.  I like the idea of rewarding yourself today - I'd better not let DH know, or he'll go out and buy something we really don't need!  

We've heard from our family in Japan - they made it safely and are already enjoying time with the in-laws.  The grandsons have 4 cousins they've never met, so they were getting together; it will be interesting to know how that went with the language difference.  Yesterday DS was taking the oldest DGS to the Akihabara district where all things technical can be found - I'm sure the young man's eyes were as big as saucers.

Today we're having lunch with a friend we haven't seen in a number of months.  Just after we returned from our January cruise, he left to spend several months at his brother's in Mexico.  It will be a great time to catch up on each other's lives.

Happy Nurse's Week - we know several and know they have difficult jobs.  

I like today's menu suggestion and will tuck it away for a cool day because instead of having our pulled pork last night, we ate at DH's daughter's.  We brought over some herbs we'd bought and spent time on their deck, when she invited us to join them for dinner.  She's a great cook, and last night was no exception - we dined on shrimp and scallop linguini in an alfredo pesto sauce.  Yum!   So tonight it'll be pulled pork sandwiches and coleslaw on the deck.  And wine.

Prayers for all who are in need, especially for the families of the victims of the senseless gun violence again in Texas.  Cheers to everyone with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry  

• Like 26

Thank you for all the beautiful photos on Iris Day.

We should celebrate Teachers and Nurses every week of the year.  IMG_7376.jpeg.f46103d5f27763d6cea912127e9c310f.jpeg
I actually received a gift card to Total Wine one year.IMG_7374.thumb.jpeg.8efbfc4950666b70ce585b1eb6ed4210.jpeg

The Rotterdam visited Martinique in February.  It was a dreary day but brought us a rainbow.IMG_6954.thumb.jpeg.8690f91aaefdd965727f11bf40af0ddd.jpegThe rain didn’t stop me from going on a snorkeling excursion.IMG_6960.thumb.jpeg.18f9225c7e9ef805d1178ef66ebc8c00.jpeg

We were able to snorkel inside this cave.

IMG_6963.thumb.jpeg.ac9f18832f3c7788ef3b54e85ccd242e.jpeg

IMG_6980.thumb.jpeg.3449322b46af19f4b9bf42c100caf3bb.jpeg

IMG_6982.thumb.jpeg.f5c3eeed2b2eced45cf167af7407abe5.jpeg

@ottahand7Go Ravens!

@kazuI can’t wait to see a photo of Ivan after grooming.

Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebration and cruising.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

HAL does this as well and it is helpful but not always in sight.

I used to have a morning newspaper delivered (at home, I mean) partly so that I could check it to be sure what day it was.

• Like 9
  • Haha 15

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

After a 1 week cruise we lose track of the days so it is understandable you lose track of time and days on a world cruise.

One of the nice touches on Royal Caribbean ships is the day of the week board on the floor in the elevators is changed daily.

But that only helps is you use the elevators, Graham!😉

• Like 7
  • Haha 12

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good Monday morning.  It looks like it will be a nice sunny day here.

i have been to Martinique but don’t have any photos. It appears that every time we have been there has been a Sunday and we ended up going to Mass at the Cathedral.  A beautiful church.  Most of the stores were closed.

Today we will continue to see what we can do to on getting the situation with DBIL’s estate cleared up.  I am sure that is going to take a good part of the day.  We have an attorney in NY working on this and now it seems we need another down here in SC.  I hope not.

Another thing making me nervous is that it is 5 weeks to our cruise and we are far from ready to go.

I have yet to know what we are going to do in the various ports.  i have about 5 of them organized and many where we are still wondering what we will do.

Wednesday the house gets power washed. Next Monday Jim has MOHS surgery on a spot on his head.   On the 17th they will attempt to deliver another dryer.  Still waiting for one that is not damaged.  

Adding to this we have decided to get another Covid booster before we leave.  I think we want to do this soon so that we can deal with any reactions we may have.  Note that aI usually have a polymyalgia flare-up after the vaccinations.  I originally had thought of not getting another shot but after seeing how many people have returned from cruises with Covid, I decided that i was better off getting the vaccination than not.  So we will do that at the end of next week.

I did manage to sleep last night.  I think I was so tired that nothing was going to keep me awake.  I slept about 8 1/2 hours, which is pretty good for me.  Went right to bed after watching the final episode of “Call the Midwife”. Love that program.

Thank you to all that make this thread happen.  @StLouisCruisers, @superoma, @dfish, @summer slope, @cat shepard.  What would we do without you!

Prayers for everyone on the Cares list.  It makes me realize that my problems are small in comparison.  

I hope everyone has a good day.

God Bless,

Terri

I hope the Mohs surgery goes well for Jim.  And let's hope your dryer gets delivered safely this time.  We're having our house power washed Thursday.  I don't think we need any exterior paint yet, but the deck could use a cleaning and some new stain.  I didn't realize last night was the final episode of this season of Call the Midwife, but we can always look forward to the Christmas episode in December.  We need more episodes per season though!

Good luck with the estate settlement problems, and your Covid boosters.

2 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

Moored in Fort-de-France (2019)

DSC_1174.thumb.JPG.6ec6cc20c998623a8504202a10468bfb.JPG

You wouldn't think you'd see such a tall building on a Caribbean island.  Thanks for posting it.

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a clear and windy central Texas.  The sun is just beginning to make an appearance.  It is currently 70F and should reach 86F this afternoon.  There is no rain predicted until tomorrow afternoon.

This is also National Teacher Appreciation week in the US.

Iris are a favorite flower, but mine are past the blooming stage.  I will reward myself with a clean house at the end of the day.  With Harry S Truman, what you saw was what you got.  He did a good job that he inherited without being informed about a lot of what was going on at the time.

My bearded iris from a couple of years ago.

DSC09244.thumb.JPG.bc2e1ea07b10981fe9010480ae929d8d.JPG

Today's quote is so very true.

We'll pass on the meal and the wine.  I like today's drink and have always seen it listed as a Tequila Sunrise.

We have visited Martinique several times, but always in the pre-digital age.

VE day was an important day in history, and we should not forget the terrible war it ended in Europe.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, congratulations to the Jaguars and Ren.

@aliaschief  Bruce, it was nice of the other grandpa to give you both a small break yesterday.

@kazu  Jacqui, you have a busy day planned.  I hope the elbow doesn't give you any problems.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I'm glad you got some sleep last night.  I was wondering if a small course of low dose Prednisone before the booster would help prevent or lessen a polymyalgia flare-up.  I hope your DH's MOHS procedure goes well next week.  It shouldn't be this hard to settle an estate no matter how complicated.  Wishing you the best on that front.

Lenda

I totally agree with your comments on Harry Truman.  They had little to no confidence in him when he took the oath of office after Roosevelt's passing.  But he was smarter than they thought he was.

Cheers to our teachers this week!  I had a long chat with DD yesterday and she was discussing the completion this week of the State testing.  She says every year they have many more students with learning difficulties.  Most of them are living with relatives other than their parents, and some have problems due to drug/alcohol use by the birth mother.  The teachers do the best they can but you never know how much the students can absorb and that's reflected in their test scores and their behavior in the classroom.  It's so sad how this problem has ballooned over the years.  So bless those hard working teachers!❤️

I'm also anxiously awaiting photos of the grooming makeover on Ivan!  

Thanks for your good wishes for Ren and the Jaguars.

1 hour ago, Nickelpenny said:

Good Morning to All!  Thanks for the updates.

It Nurses' Week and we will see if anything happens at work (doubt it!!  LOL!!)

Have a great day!

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 05.46.23.png

I hope they do something special for you at work this week.  It's a difficult job and you deserve the recognition!

Well, it seems I've finally finished one Shutterfly photo book, the one for the shortest cruise we took this past year.  It was the 7 day Caribbean/Mexico cruise we took in February on Sky Princess.  I decided I didn't want to start on the longest one, last summer's Covid cruise.  I'm working my way up.  Took me all week, especially since we had no internet for part of that time which delayed me a lot.  I'll keep it in my account ready to order when Shutterfly sends me a good deal, like a free 20 page photo book.  The past 3 years they've sent me daily emails with all kinds of good deals but I had no books to order.  I'm waiting, Shutterfly!!  In the meantime I need to get started on another cruise photo book.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 2

With respect to Nurses Week - this past weekend my DW (Lynne) along with more then 150 fellow classmates, celebrated their 50th anniversary of graduation from nursing school. She actually graduated in 1971, but because of Covid they (along with the grads of 1972 & 1973) were only able to do it now. They were bagpiped in, wearing their dark navy blue nursing capes and gold nursing caps – Quite to show! 👩‍⚕️

• Like 29

44 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

Oh, my gosh!!  I get these questions ALL the time!!  🙂 

I used to...then you give your opinion & they still go to the dr. - I wished they would skip the middle-person (me) & just go.  

• Like 19

Good morning, Dailyites!  Happy to know it's Nurses' Week - I think I'll take in a big box of Timbits for Pat's nurses this morning.  Will they thank me?  And my cousin is a nurse, so she's the one I call with those questions...

Pat is improving much too fast, I'm afraid he will want to come home any time now!  The first day after surgery his blood pressure was low, so they didn't give him his BP meds, then yesterday his BP was better, but his oxygen was down in the 80's, so he was on oxygen most of the day.  He was doing laps around the ward faster than the two nurses who were having to trail after him with the IV pole and the oxygen monitor.  I wonder how he will be today... (He's already bored.)  The TV in his room doesn't seem to be working, I will take him in some airplane magazines and a decaf latte this morning.  (He's not on clear fluids any more, but "full fluids") I've been going in alone in the morning, and DD goes with me in the afternoon.  With the driving, parking, etc., it seems to take up most of the day.  But I'm thinking of you all.  

My cruising AirTag is in Copenhagen today.  I hope it has fun!  OverheadFred, welcome home, I guess Herdy and Pram have not vacuumed under the bed yet!  

My irises are in bud, but not open yet, and the lilac is just starting to bloom.  But I have planted my sweet peas and Red Sails lettuce (our favourite).  Other than that, I think I'm going to take it easy in my little flower beds this year, just tackle the weeds...  It's supposed to get up to 30 by Sunday!  

• Like 26

@0106 Tina, sorry I forgot to mention your photos of Martinique.  That must have been fun to snorkel near that cave.  Thanks for posting them.

Ann @Vict0riann I'm glad to hear Pat is doing well now.  And I really wish someone would search your cabin to find your Air Tag!  How frustrating for you.  I'll keep hoping they find it sooner rather than later.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

What a great collection of days to celebrate!  Happy Nurses Week. DHs daughter is a hard working in-hospital RN.  She loves it but I think she works too many hours - 6 13-hr shifts a week!  Used to be 3 or 4 per week but that was pre-pandemic. There just aren’t enough nurses. 

Our NM mountain home was in an area where we’d get wild mountain iris. DH loved photographing them. Here’s one that’s on our wall. IMG_1594.thumb.jpeg.fc8566b8c5956df453d86157167947e2.jpeg

Hat’s off to “Give ‘em hell Harry!”  and his great desk plaque, “The buck stops here”.  
V-E Day gives me chills!  Can’t say anything that captures the profoundness. 

The white chili is a fun idea!  Thanks @dfish Debbie. 

Jacqui, can’t wait to see how grand Ivan will look when he’s out from under all the “toppings”. Amazing the vets could do in-home ultrasound. Hoping all his results are good. 🤞

We’ve been in Fort-de-France multiple times, most recently in March and that’s what’s on this phone, but its is a video of the port area from the ship. The others’ pictures are much more interesting!  Thank you!  Good memories. 

My heart 💔 goes out to Alberta!  Both the magnitude of the widespread fires, and the depth of each person’s angst being evacuated. Been there, done that!  It’s all grueling. Last I saw, close to 30,000 people have been evacuated. And last night fire-spread acreage was over 300,000 which is twice the size of the biggest fires I was involved in, although those were single landscape fires in my locale. Many days just living on adrenaline. Horrible trauma for everyone. Prayers for the safety of the firefighters - ground-pounders and air-attack - and clarity for the decision makers. 🙏.  And for rain. And for the winds to drop!  Makes me cry!  
m—

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

50 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

But that only helps is you use the elevators, Graham!😉

Unfortunately I think most of us need to use the lifts.

If not you can see the day board on the lift floor when the lift door opens when you are walking past as it is right at the front next to the door.👀.

I'm pleased to hear Pat seems to be recovering well Ann.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Today's sunrise is from a 2019 combination, Nieuw Statendam Fort Lauderdale to Amsterdam, and then Cunard QE/QM2 Kiel to New York.  May 8 was a free day in Kiel before boarding Queen Victoria on May 9.

dawn0508.jpg

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. Sunny here, high today supposedly up to the high 60's. It was 37F when dogs and I walked but felt warmer. My Iris are getting ready to bloom. They are the only flower the deer do not eat. They look much happier than they did last year. Our very wet winter evidently agreed with them. Will celebrate nurses and Harry T. Dad attended several meetings with him and said that Truman was always listening carefully  and always asked questions that seemed to focus on what you did not say.... a very interesting approach. He seemed able to read between the lines.

I think I would like the chili ... but tonight will be salad with some whitefish I found in the freezer that needs to be eaten.

Have heard from a couple of the Board members (already!!!). One was asking that since I was eligible, would I stay on as an appointment for one year.... the answer was a firm "no". But I found out the rationale behind that request. Another Board member who is supposed to be continuing is going to leave the Board the end of this month. There were 3 of us who did most of the work and we will all be gone including a lot of research on various issues. Sorry, but not sorry... I am tired and I think they can manage. I do feel sorry for the new Executive Director.

So..... off to clear. Today's focus is going to be on my file cabinet. I have cleaned up the shredder in anticipation of it seeing lots of action today.

Cheers to all. @Kazu (no blue bubble for some reason) - Don't you and Ivan overdo today.

Susan

Edited by durangoscots
  • Like 24

Good morning all!

It should be a nice day today, in the low 60's.  Interesting how the same weather app shows storms today on the daily page, but on the hourly page shows no storms, not even rain.  🤷‍♀️  It will heat up and lots of sun while we're away later this week. Up to the mid 80's F.   Thank goodness I have a good neighbor who (without my asking) looks after watering my pots when I'm gone. 

Thanks for all the Iris photos!  I do love them, and they make me think of my dear Dad who always grew them.  I don't have any in my yard, they always seem to attract thrips so I gave up on them.

Thanks Sandi @StLouisCruisersfor the fun fact that Truman has no middle name, hence no period after the S.  And congratulations to Ren and his team!

I immediately thought of my DSIL when I read the quote.  She's always talking about what she "should" or "wants to do" but it never, ever happens.

I'll pass on the drink and meal, but would love the wine I'm sure since it's a Marlborough.  I'm cleaning out the fridge, it will be meatloaf tonight.  

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Bearded iris is not yet blooming here. Is Truman Day about Harry S, or someone else?

The meal suggestion would only be OK for me in the broth version, and I have improvised something like it. I'd prefer to make the cocktail with gin. I'll be ready for the wine at about 6:30 p.m. Have not been to Fort-de-France.

I'm still waking up too early, but this morning I was able to get back to sleep.

I'm trying to avoid knowing anything about the search for someone to replace me, but the grapevine says that (a) the job posting is written so that no sane person would apply, (b) no sane person did apply, and (c) they are offering a half-time salary for full-time work.

dessertisland2.thumb.jpg.882a93bbaf9de59ec230a2905e7f28b0.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 18