The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday May 8th, 2023

21 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Bearded iris is not yet blooming here. Is Truman Day about Harry S, or someone else?

The meal suggestion would only be OK for me in the broth version, and I have improvised something like it. I'd prefer to make the cocktail with gin. I'll be ready for the wine at about 6:30 p.m. Have not been to Fort-de-France.

I'm still waking up too early, but this morning I was able to get back to sleep.

I'm trying to avoid knowing anything about the search for someone to replace me, but the grapevine says that (a) the job posting is written so that no sane person would apply, (b) no sane person did apply, and (c) they are offering a half-time salary for full-time work.

dessertisland2.thumb.jpg.882a93bbaf9de59ec230a2905e7f28b0.jpg

Yes, Truman Day is because today was Harry S Truman's birthday.  Ironic that he had both his birthday and the surrender of the Germans to celebrate in 1945.  And all happening less than 4 weeks as President.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

wBearded Iris started blooming in the front yard a few days ago.

IMG_0909.thumb.jpg.355e85406bf0eefe84b81858db3edc93.jpg

Quite a few blooms yet to open up.

I liberated these small lavender colored ones from my mom's yard some years ago.  It turns out they really like the Diamond Bar microclimate.  I have some other ones with much more spectacular flowers--similar to the ones pictured by @ottahand7 and @Quartzsite Cruiser--but they don't seem to do as well.  I am pretty sure the the very dry winters that we have had the last few years inhibited them,  That being said. the very wet season that we had this year may encourage some of those other ones to bloom. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Well, it seems I've finally finished one Shutterfly photo book, the one for the shortest cruise we took this past year.  It was the 7 day Caribbean/Mexico cruise we took in February on Sky Princess.  I decided I didn't want to start on the longest one, last summer's Covid cruise.  I'm working my way up.  Took me all week, especially since we had no internet for part of that time which delayed me a lot.  I'll keep it in my account ready to order when Shutterfly sends me a good deal, like a free 20 page photo book.  The past 3 years they've sent me daily emails with all kinds of good deals but I had no books to order.  I'm waiting, Shutterfly!!  In the meantime I need to get started on another cruise photo book.

Sandy,

I just finished my Shutterfly book for our 39 day cruise(s)....I had to rush it because I had a coupon for free unlimited pages that expired on Sunday!  They're submitted, just waiting to receive them. (I had to do it in 2 books because they have a maximum of 110 pages, and at that point I still had 6 days to go!!)

Laura

+

Edited by kplady
  • Like 17

Good morning and thanks all! I will gladly celebrate nurse and teachers!  I am grateful to have had an angel to check on me since surgery.  Not all angels have wings!  DD is a teacher and I also taught for many years. 

The situation is dire, praying for rain!  

Source Courtney Theirault

Alberta wildfire hectares burned by year: 

2017- 49,133
2018 - 59,780
2019 - 883,411
2020 - 3,269
2021- 50,047
2022- 130,858
2023- 408, 971 (through midday May 7)

Our irises are at least a month away.

IMG_5550.jpeg

IMG_5549.jpeg

IMG_2235.jpeg

IMG_2238.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 5

39 minutes ago, kplady said:

Sandy,

I just finished my Shutterfly book for our 39 day cruise(s)....I had to rush it because I had a coupon for free unlimited pages that expired on Sunday!  They're submitted, just waiting to receive them. (I had to do it in 2 books because they have a maximum of 110 pages, and at that point I still had 6 days to go!!)

Laura

+

I hope you receive them quickly and are pleased with the finished results.  I think I've made at least 3 books at the limit of 110 pages.  Once I had to split up into two books - 4 cruises booked together in Australia-Tasmania-Papua New Guinea-New Zealand.  Right now I have 51 cruise photo books, and then I'll have these 3 to add to them when I get finished making them.

Those unlimited pages coupons/promos are really helpful for saving money when you have many pages in a book, aren't they?

• Like 17

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

My cruising AirTag is in Copenhagen today.  I hope it has fun!  OverheadFred, welcome home, I guess Herdy and Pram have not vacuumed under the bed yet!  

I did track down Herdy and Pram before we disembarked. They said they looked for the AirTag but could not find it. I was not able to get into 5050 to look for it myself. We did alert the front desk about it but they weren't particularly helpful. They basically just pointed us to the lost & found website https://www.chargerback.com/

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Hi friends! A beautiful day here today, and warm - finally!

Yesterday I checked off something on my bucket list that I didn't even know was on the list! My church choir sang the National Anthem before a local AA baseball game. Lots of fun, and stayed to watch the game -- my first minor league game ever!

Prayers for all who need them, and cheers to everyone celebrating!

• Like 25

Good afternoon from a mostly sunny, windy and warm, 84F, central Texas.  The house is clean, and I'm now catching up on come computer work while the first load of towels dry and the second load washes.

There is a quote credited to Bess Truman that may or may not be true, but it sounds like it could be true.  Supposedly, either a friend or their daughter, Margaret, asked Bess if she could get Harry to say fertilizer instead of manure.  Bess is reputed to have replied, "It took me 30 years to get him to say manure".

5 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  My mom always had irises planted in our yard; I liked them, but they bloomed for such a short time.  I like the idea of rewarding yourself today - I'd better not let DH know, or he'll go out and buy something we really don't need!  

We've heard from our family in Japan - they made it safely and are already enjoying time with the in-laws.  The grandsons have 4 cousins they've never met, so they were getting together; it will be interesting to know how that went with the language difference.  Yesterday DS was taking the oldest DGS to the Akihabara district where all things technical can be found - I'm sure the young man's eyes were as big as saucers.

Today we're having lunch with a friend we haven't seen in a number of months.  Just after we returned from our January cruise, he left to spend several months at his brother's in Mexico.  It will be a great time to catch up on each other's lives.

Happy Nurse's Week - we know several and know they have difficult jobs.  

I like today's menu suggestion and will tuck it away for a cool day because instead of having our pulled pork last night, we ate at DH's daughter's.  We brought over some herbs we'd bought and spent time on their deck, when she invited us to join them for dinner.  She's a great cook, and last night was no exception - we dined on shrimp and scallop linguini in an alfredo pesto sauce.  Yum!   So tonight it'll be pulled pork sandwiches and coleslaw on the deck.  And wine.

Prayers for all who are in need, especially for the families of the victims of the senseless gun violence again in Texas.  Cheers to everyone with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry  

Gerry, I'm glad your family arrived safely in Tokyo and are having a good time.  

5 hours ago, 0106 said:

Thank you for all the beautiful photos on Iris Day.

We should celebrate Teachers and Nurses every week of the year.  IMG_7376.jpeg.f46103d5f27763d6cea912127e9c310f.jpeg
I actually received a gift card to Total Wine one year.IMG_7374.thumb.jpeg.8efbfc4950666b70ce585b1eb6ed4210.jpeg

The Rotterdam visited Martinique in February.  It was a dreary day but brought us a rainbow.IMG_6954.thumb.jpeg.8690f91aaefdd965727f11bf40af0ddd.jpegThe rain didn’t stop me from going on a snorkeling excursion.IMG_6960.thumb.jpeg.18f9225c7e9ef805d1178ef66ebc8c00.jpeg

We were able to snorkel inside this cave.

IMG_6963.thumb.jpeg.ac9f18832f3c7788ef3b54e85ccd242e.jpeg

IMG_6980.thumb.jpeg.3449322b46af19f4b9bf42c100caf3bb.jpeg

IMG_6982.thumb.jpeg.f5c3eeed2b2eced45cf167af7407abe5.jpeg

@ottahand7Go Ravens!

@kazuI can’t wait to see a photo of Ivan after grooming.

Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebration and cruising.

Tina, thank you for the pictures of Martinique.  It is a lovely island.

4 hours ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

With respect to Nurses Week - this past weekend my DW (Lynne) along with more then 150 fellow classmates, celebrated their 50th anniversary of graduation from nursing school. She actually graduated in 1971, but because of Covid they (along with the grads of 1972 & 1973) were only able to do it now. They were bagpiped in, wearing their dark navy blue nursing capes and gold nursing caps – Quite to show! 👩‍⚕️

What a lovely and unique entrance to the 50th reunion.

4 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites!  Happy to know it's Nurses' Week - I think I'll take in a big box of Timbits for Pat's nurses this morning.  Will they thank me?  And my cousin is a nurse, so she's the one I call with those questions...

Pat is improving much too fast, I'm afraid he will want to come home any time now!  The first day after surgery his blood pressure was low, so they didn't give him his BP meds, then yesterday his BP was better, but his oxygen was down in the 80's, so he was on oxygen most of the day.  He was doing laps around the ward faster than the two nurses who were having to trail after him with the IV pole and the oxygen monitor.  I wonder how he will be today... (He's already bored.)  The TV in his room doesn't seem to be working, I will take him in some airplane magazines and a decaf latte this morning.  (He's not on clear fluids any more, but "full fluids") I've been going in alone in the morning, and DD goes with me in the afternoon.  With the driving, parking, etc., it seems to take up most of the day.  But I'm thinking of you all.  

My cruising AirTag is in Copenhagen today.  I hope it has fun!  OverheadFred, welcome home, I guess Herdy and Pram have not vacuumed under the bed yet!  

My irises are in bud, but not open yet, and the lilac is just starting to bloom.  But I have planted my sweet peas and Red Sails lettuce (our favourite).  Other than that, I think I'm going to take it easy in my little flower beds this year, just tackle the weeds...  It's supposed to get up to 30 by Sunday!  

Ann, I'm happy Pat is recovering well, and I wish him a continued and speedy recovery.

2 hours ago, XBGuy said:

wBearded Iris started blooming in the front yard a few days ago.

IMG_0909.thumb.jpg.355e85406bf0eefe84b81858db3edc93.jpg

Quite a few blooms yet to open up.

I liberated these small lavender colored ones from my mom's yard some years ago.  It turns out they really like the Diamond Bar microclimate.  I have some other ones with much more spectacular flowers--similar to the ones pictured by @ottahand7 and @Quartzsite Cruiser--but they don't seem to do as well.  I am pretty sure the the very dry winters that we have had the last few years inhibited them,  That being said. the very wet season that we had this year may encourage some of those other ones to bloom. 

My mother also grew iris, purple and yellow.  After we moved here, I tried to buy some iris bulbs at the local nursery.  I was told they didn't sell them since most people got theirs from friends when they thinned the iris.  I still had to buy mine, all different varieties of purple, but somehow over the years most of the different iris were given away to neighbors.  I think all of the purple iris in our little community came from my yard at one time or another.  If I find some different ones this fall, I may add them to the flowerbeds.

Lend

Lenda

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, 0106 said:

Thank you for all the beautiful photos on Iris Day.

We should celebrate Teachers and Nurses every week of the year.

I SO agree with this.  Teachers and Nurses are invaluable ♥️ 

@Vict0riann so glad to hear that Pat is recovering well 👍.  And yes, he needs to stay there to recuperate until the doctors say he is ready to come home.

I fear you will be following you air tags travels for some time to come 😔 

@durangoscots good for you on standing firm to return to the board.  It’s one thing to help out with a bit of advice now and then - another to be working for another year.  You don’t need it.  They knew it was coming and should have been recruiting or preparing to step up.  (Can you tell I’ve been down that road?  LOL).  Have fun shredding - you will be amazed at how cathartic it can be 🙂 

@Cruzin Terri best of luck with dealing with the estate, lawyers and all.  Not a fun time for sure 😔. Praying that Jim’s surgery goes well next week.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

I did track down Herdy and Pram before we disembarked. They said they looked for the AirTag but could not find it. I was not able to get into 5050 to look for it myself. We did alert the front desk about it but they weren't particularly helpful. They basically just pointed us to the lost & found website https://www.chargerback.com/

Thank you, Fred.   I’m not too worried, I just hope it’s having a good time, as long as the battery holds out!  

• Like 9

Eye update: Had a pressure check this afternoon. It’s lower 👏 so the glaucoma drops are working. Doc says to keep doing what I’m doing (use both eye drops, canNOT lay on my back, tip my head back and look up, or go higher than 2k feet in elevation). He’ll see me again in 4 weeks. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

6 hours ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

With respect to Nurses Week - this past weekend my DW (Lynne) along with more then 150 fellow classmates, celebrated their 50th anniversary of graduation from nursing school. She actually graduated in 1971, but because of Covid they (along with the grads of 1972 & 1973) were only able to do it now. They were bagpiped in, wearing their dark navy blue nursing capes and gold nursing caps – Quite to show! 👩‍⚕️

Finally got a picture of Lynne in her gold cap and RAH cape.

image.thumb.jpeg.50e774a09d3920c29fafbc8ee2fe1c42.jpeg

The RAH stands for Royal Alexandra Hospital. She entered the RAH School of Nursing in 1968 and graduated from their 3-year program in 1971. After graduation, they wrote their RN exams and she became a RN in August/71. The students stayed in the school residence and were considered hospital employees, as they had to work at the hospital. Fairly cheap labour, as they received no pay for the first six mouths, $9/mth for the remainder of the first year, then $12/mth for the 2nd year, and $15/mth for the 3rd year. She retired in 2012 (44 years), spending most of time in ICU/CCU and the last three quarters of her career as the Cardiology Instructor.

Edited by GeorgeCharlie
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 6

14 minutes ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

Finally got a picture of Lynne in her gold cap and RAH cape.

image.thumb.jpeg.50e774a09d3920c29fafbc8ee2fe1c42.jpeg

The RAH stands for Royal Alexandra Hospital. She entered the RAH School of Nursing in 1968 and graduated from their 3-year program in 1971. After graduation, they wrote their RN exams and she became a RN in August/71. The students stayed in the school residence and were considered hospital employees, as they had to work at the hospital. Fairly cheap labour, as they received no pay for the first six mouths, $9/mth for the remainder of the first year, then $12/mth for the 2nd year, and $15/mth for the 3rd year. She retired in 2012 (44 years), spending most of time in ICU/CCU and the last three quarters of her career as the Cardiology Instructor.

A lovely  picture, thank you. I started working as a PT in 1977 and the nurses then wore caps and had capes as well. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

Good Morning to All!  Thanks for the updates.

It Nurses' Week and we will see if anything happens at work (doubt it!!  LOL!!)

Have a great day!

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 05.46.23.png

No kidding! One year when I was working in a hospital, we got mugs,  paid for by the hospital and they had a raffle for 1 prize (can't remember what is was but nothing overly immprssive) for about 1500 nurses employed there. So I get what you mean. Kinda sad.

Pizza for lunch paid for by the Nurse manager, not the Docs or the hospital.

It does really go with the lack of respect for the profession, IMO.

Hope you had a great day!!!

Edited by Cruisercl
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dobiemom said:

Eye update: Had a pressure check this afternoon. It’s lower 👏 so the glaucoma drops are working. Doc says to keep doing what I’m doing (use both eye drops, canNOT lay on my back, tip my head back and look up, or go higher than 2k feet in elevation). He’ll see me again in 4 weeks. 

Good news on the eye pressure!  
I once was told no looking up or down for 6 weeks due to neck disc issues. DH had to wash the dishes!  We had to make some changes in the kitchen so I could keep cooking, and he bought me an adjustable music stand so I could continue studying for my EMT class!  But I was much younger then and more adaptable!  Wishing you the best!  

@Vict0riann happy to hear Pat is doing well!  While he’s being well cared for, you need to take care of you!  When he gets home there’s a lot more work!  
m—

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Happy Monday!  It was a quiet day here, yesterday was 80 and sunny, today 50's and rain.  I did more sorting and strip cutting today with my fabric piles.  I think I'm almost done!  Our school principal asked for some covers for the PreK kid nap mats.  My quilting group and I have around 25 made so far.  Our irises are up, but not blooming yet.  We have a park with beautiful gardens close by...might have to go there soon to check out what's blooming.  The flowering crabs have been popping the last few days.  The white chicken chili sounds good!  @Cruzin Terrihoping your estate issues can get settled soon.  @dobiemomgreat news that your eye pressures are good!  @GeorgeCharlieGreat picture.  Many years ago, our hospital made this week "caregivers" week...everyone was acknowledged.  We usually got a small token during the week.  During that week, they had a party for the people celebrating 5, 10, etc. anniversaries.  Those were always fun to go to.  They started doing it at Am Fam Field, the Brewers Baseball stadium.  That was a fun event with tours and lots of fun food!  

We put out grape jelly for the orioles yesterday, and did see 3 today!  

Have a good rest of your day!  Karen

• Like 16

I'm late to the party, but I wanted to comment on Nurses week.  Having just stayed 11 days in Hilo Medical Center, I depended more on my Nurses than I did on my Doctor.  I tried to always treat them well and say thank you, I appreciate that, and you are making a difference, even though I was in pretty poor shape.  I got to know some of them quite well:  The Nurse who had a 1year old boy who cried when she left for work early in the morning.  The nurse whose Dad moved the family to Hawaii when she was a little girl against the families advice and learned to love to surf, fish, cultivate her own garden and follow a healthy lifestyle.  She recently inherited the 9 acres her Dad left her.  Nine acres near Hilo is worth a fortune!  I asked why at almost 60, she was still working?  Her answer:  I know that I am needed here. Amen.  Lastly the lady from just north of New York City.  She came across20230428_091053.thumb.jpg.9e64f2437e1d67ec890111869e904760.jpgas rather tough, no nonsense type.  When I asked how she ended up living in Hilo, she responded that her husband wanted to enjoy their retirement and he had asked her to try it, which she did.  She told me that after 35 years of marriage, they were the happiest they have ever been.  She melted and told me not to worry, I would come back just fine.  

• Like 22

I may be receiving a bonded pair of cats, although not any of those from the shelters.

Do you remember my adult student who is having a Jewish wedding on Friday and a Bar Mitzvah on Saturday? The following week he moves to California for a new job. He and his husband have a number of pets and could not find a place to rent where they could have all of them. Among their menagerie are two cats who are littermates, and I'm going to meet them (the cats, I mean) on Wednesday.

• Like 17

10 hours ago, 57redbird said:

I used to...then you give your opinion & they still go to the dr. - I wished they would skip the middle-person (me) & just go.  

I get it the opposite a lot of the times.  They go to the doctor first and THEN come and ask me.  Their reasoning: "I want to see if the doctor is right!"  LOL

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

Thanks for the Holland America Line Fleet locations and the Daily.  Have  not visited today's port, thanks for the port photos.

Treated myself to a colourful floral arrangement after my annual CT scan this morning.

@superoma  Thank you for your concern, I have been reading the Daily but decided to have a break from posting for a few days.

.@Vict0riann   Thanks for your report on Pat's post-operative progress. Hope he continues to do well.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

Good evening.  I guess I shouldn't drink red wine when I'm tired.  I hit the bottom of the glass and managed to get wine on my shirt and short, plus the chair and the floor.  The chair at least is a dark red, so hopefully the wine will blend in to some extent, and the floor is sealed tile.  As for the clothes, I'll know more tomorrow after I do the laundry.  

During the past year, I've gained an even greater appreciation for nurses.  They are the backbone of the medical profession.  Not only did they take great care of DH, they also took care of me, especially during the most stressful times.  It was a nurse who after all test came back negative, researched and found the cause of DH's night time fevers was a rare side effect of each of the four post op drugs.  Once he was off the drugs, the fever dissappeared.  Being on the front line, they have a better insight into their patients.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 13

35 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Thanks for the Holland America Line Fleet locations and the Daily.  Have  not visited today's port, thanks for the port photos.

Treated myself to a colourful floral arrangement after my annual CT scan this morning.

@superoma  Thank you for your concern, I have been reading the Daily but decided to have a break from posting for a few days.

.@Vict0riann   Thanks for your report on Pat's post-operative progress. Hope he continues to do well.

Good to hear from you!

• Like 9