The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday May 8th, 2023

Today is Iris Day, Reward Yourself Day, and Truman Day

While we are postponing, life speeds by. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Meal Suggestion for today - White Chicken Chili
Drink of the Day - Sunrise
Wine of the Day - Greywacke Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough 2021
Destination of the Day - Fort-de-France, Martinique

Today in History:
1945 V-E Day: World War II ends in Europe after Germany signs an unconditional surrender

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 22:00

Koningsdam

Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska 09:00 - 09:30

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Kodiak, Alaska eta 10 May

Nieuw Statendam

Ceuta, Spanish Morocco 08:00 - 16:00

Noordam

At Sea Destination Sitka, Alaska eta 5-09 

Oosterdam

Lisbon, Portugal 07:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Copenhagen, Denmark 0700-1600

Volendam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 5-09 

Zaandam

Halifax, Nova Scotia 09:00 - 18:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Port Everglades eta 5-12

image.thumb.png.85f8aed2f92c0a83c0ea5eade8c4fa0d.png

image.thumb.png.8fbf874690e726a6e329b407855c7e9e.png

Sandi for Rich

• Like 19
  • Thanks 14

Thank you for today's daily reports Sandi and Rich.

It is raining and 50°F here.

3 interesting days today.

A very true quote.

Nice food and an excellent wine choice today.

I hope everyone is safe and well and looking forward to today.

Screenshot_20230508_100555.jpg

Screenshot_20230508_100621.jpg

Screenshot_20230508_100641.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Good morning friends!  It is 68F with a high of 83 and rain sometime today.  My three weather apps are arguing about not only the precipitation but are wildly different on the current temperature. Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report information for all of us.  Also thanks for noting this special day in history - V-E Day in 1945.  What a brutal war in Europe that was!  Let us never forget it.

Today we shall celebrate Iris Day, Reward Yourself Day, and Truman Day.  The iris is a popular flower with our Gardening Club.  I expect to see some photos of yours today.  And how about Reward Yourself Day?  I'm sure most of us deserve a little reward for things we have been dealing with so try to figure out some way to reward yourself.  And today is also Truman Day.  It is President Harry S Truman's birthday and he was residing in the White House when the surrender with Germany was signed due to the unfortunate passing of President Roosevelt less than one month earlier in Warm Springs, Georgia.  So let's all honor our President from Missouri!🏛️  Fun fact on President Truman is he had no middle name, just the letter S therefore technically there should be no period after the letter S in his name.

The statement made in the quote is oh so true!  Debbie @dfish will have a wonderful recipe and photos of our meal suggestion, white chicken chili.  Yum!  The drink is called Sunrise 🍹and the wine is a Sauvignon Blanc.  Sounds good to me!  I hope Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard had no problem with researching them.  Thanks to you three ladies for that work you put forth.

Thank you in advance Eva @superoma for the Care and Celebration Report.  We shall send our prayers and/or best wishes to those in need of them and still healing from those recent surgeries.  🙏  For everyone on the Celebration list, a salute to each and every one of you.  🎉  Hoping for good things to happen for all of us.  So cheers!🥂 

The port of the day is Fort-De-France, Martinique.  We saw it here once before on November 4, 2021 so I have the link below for those who need it to retrieve their photos.  I haven't journeyed to Martinique before so have none to offer.  Thank you in advance for your photos though!

Ren's Jaguars beat the Wolves yesterday 3 to 1.  Ren facilitated 2 assists to his teammates who then scored.  One was supposedly pretty spectacular so I hope DS has a video for DH and I.  Next weekend is the big tournament in Maryland.  Games Friday, Saturday and Tuesday so they will be there a while.

Wishing all of you a super Monday.  Stay safe!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

I just saw this on a FB page. It really fits me right now!

"People who ask me what I'm doing tomorrow probably assume that I even know what day of the week it is."

• Like 15
  • Haha 24

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info SLC.

Famous quote by Harry Truman.

”Show me a man (or woman added by me) that got rich by being a politician and I will show you a crook”. Or something like that.

• Like 17
  • Haha 5

38 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It is 68F with a high of 83 and rain sometime today.  My three weather apps are arguing about not only the precipitation but are wildly different on the current temperature. Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report information for all of us.  Also thanks for noting this special day in history - V-E Day in 1945.  What a brutal war in Europe that was!  Let us never forget it.

Today we shall celebrate Iris Day, Reward Yourself Day, and Truman Day.  The iris is a popular flower with our Gardening Club.  I expect to see some photos of yours today.  And how about Reward Yourself Day?  I'm sure most of us deserve a little reward for things we have been dealing with so try to figure out some way to reward yourself.  And today is also Truman Day.  It is President Harry S Truman's birthday and he was residing in the White House when the surrender with Germany was signed due to the unfortunate passing of President Roosevelt less than one month earlier in Warm Springs, Georgia.  So let's all honor our President from Missouri!🏛️  Fun fact on President Truman is he had no middle name, just the letter S therefore technically there should be no period after the letter S in his name.

The statement made in the quote is oh so true!  Debbie @dfish will have a wonderful recipe and photos of our meal suggestion, white chicken chili.  Yum!  The drink is called Sunrise 🍹and the wine is a Sauvignon Blanc.  Sounds good to me!  I hope Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard had no problem with researching them.  Thanks to you three ladies for that work you put forth.

Thank you in advance Eva @superoma for the Care and Celebration Report.  We shall send our prayers and/or best wishes to those in need of them and still healing from those recent surgeries.  🙏  For everyone on the Celebration list, a salute to each and every one of you.  🎉  Hoping for good things to happen for all of us.  So cheers!🥂 

The port of the day is Fort-De-France, Martinique.  We saw it here once before on November 4, 2021 so I have the link below for those who need it to retrieve their photos.  I haven't journeyed to Martinique before so have none to offer.  Thank you in advance for your photos though!

Ren's Jaguars beat the Wolves yesterday 3 to 1.  Ren facilitated 2 assists to his teammates who then scored.  One was supposedly pretty spectacular so I hope DS has a video for DH and I.  Next weekend is the big tournament in Maryland.  Games Friday, Saturday and Tuesday so they will be there a while.

Wishing all of you a super Monday.  Stay safe!

Well done to Ren and his team.

As usual your post is comprehensive and very interesting Sandi

@StLouisCruisers

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

We've got a foggy morning, but the weather forecast says we should have a sunny afternoon and a high of 17°C. 

A nice collection of days.  I have irises planted in my garden, but it will be awhile before they bloom here.  I'm not sure what I'll reward myself with, but everyone deserves a treat once in a while.  I don't know much about Truman.

I like the quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing recipes.  I hope the drink and wine are tasty too. 

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a good day.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I just saw this on a FB page. It really fits me right now!

"People who ask me what I'm doing tomorrow probably assume that I even know what day of the week it is."

After a 1 week cruise we lose track of the days so it is understandable you lose track of time and days on a world cruise.

One of the nice touches on Royal Caribbean ships is the day of the week board on the floor in the elevators is changed daily.

• Like 14

Good morning! Waking up to another week of being responsible for something other than ourselves. We got a little relief yesterday as SIL’s Dad, Grandpa had an extra ticket to hockey game playoffs and took the seven year old to game. Sue and I treated ourselves to a NY Strip and baked potatoes accompanied with a glass of red wine.

I was in charge of bathing and little one and I had a fun time. 
Thanks Sandi and all who contribute.

Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.a36f1f8bdbe997bb07e04780b190c881.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4f1d9f3ea0f402862f68606b9f61b13f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c288ff9679982eb1945d26705886e178.jpegimage.jpeg.f50d079db47966f869b66304d8962d55.jpegimage.jpeg.c1e3840a4f45ac18fc6d0f61aa2b8d50.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Haha 19

Sunrise cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Hornitos® Reposado Tequila
2 parts Orange Juice
2 dashes Grenadine
Orange Twist

Instructions
Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass, add ice, shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with an orange twist.

Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 6.22.44 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 1

Good morning everyone.  Thank-you for the daily report.  A nice collection of days, reward myself, can’t go wrong with that one.  The irises should be starting here soon.  I really like today’s quote.  The meal suggestion sounds very tasty, I’ve never had it before.  I’ll pass on the drink and stick with coffee today.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our list today.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!

• Like 21

24 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

One of the nice touches on Royal Caribbean ships is the day of the week board on the floor in the elevators is changed daily.

HAL does this as well and it is helpful but not always in sight.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Sandi.

Nice collection of days.  I like Irish Day but it’s too soon for my irises here, sadly.  I’ll reward myself somehow if I can get Ivan in the car to the groomer and settled there 😉 

That quote by Seneca is so true.  I like part of the meal suggestion but not sure about the chili 😉. And YAY,  white wine today.  Somehow I feel I should know it.  I’ll wait for @cat sheparddescription.  Fort de France is a nice stop and change from a lot of other spots on those itineraries.  @StLouisCruisers Congrats to Ren and his team.

1572EA25-13DC-47D4-AD65-5BB222DED544.thumb.jpeg.6717214a93eb05c09c00a03f17ee2458.jpeg

A lot on my plate today (well, for me and my elbow anyways).  Mainly bringing up stuff for pick up for donations and prepping stuff no one would want downstairs for garbage day along with Ivan errands - license, return treats he doesn’t like and replace, etc.  It will be a lot easier without Ivan here as he follows me everywhere.  LOL.

36CAB8FB-62D8-4608-973A-065D4A0054AF.jpeg.b58b13063a5996b50a9a533fdc88383a.jpeg

It’s supposed to be a nice day - but my little weather station says rain.  I guess we’ll see.  Depending on how my elbow is - maybe some more babies will get in the ground 🤞 That’s the extent of my excitement for the day.  LOL

4B13C966-B21F-4347-8DC4-BE4FB8E05B95.thumb.jpeg.825a7a36c4ee82af8074e37a632c09d1.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & those that need them and cheers 🥂 to those celebrating.

A8EAF519-0339-447B-ABEE-445EF84DD9C3.jpeg.3faaf6b211e8250fd4c6b229c91e4c39.jpeg

Have a great Monday everyone!!!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

Sandi & Rich thank you for bringing us today’s R & D! It is already Monday here in Florida! And just 59 here this morning, but we should see the return of the humidity this week. 

Eva, thank you for keeping up with all of our happenings. It is not an easy task. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores etc. Maybe some pool time. Irises are one of my favorite flowers, though African Irises are the only ones that thrive in my area. 

IMG_1274.jpeg.75abb80d1c8aef9e140a101b152c3e1b.jpeg

IMG_1277.jpeg.4c2005b1063baefcf32d326ba1facf10.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who celebrating! Go Ren & the Jaguars! 

Get well & stay well everyone!

Greywacke Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough 2021

Another spectacular New Zealand wine! But this one is NOT elusive. Wonderful reviews from consumers and critics.  A decent number of online and brick & mortar distributors with prices starting at $21.98.

Winemaker Notes

#13 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2022

A delightful fusion of ripe summer fruit and delicate floral perfume – Golden Queen peaches and poached yellow pears; baked apples, mango and rock melon; mingled with apple blossom fragrance and a twist of lemon sherbet. Succulent and crisp, with a delicate fennel-like herbal quality and a dry, textural palate. Quintessentially Marlborough, but a deliciously subtle, ripe interpretation of the classic style.

WS94 Wine Spectator

This stunning white is aromatic, fresh and intense, with notes of lemon curd, yuzu, peach, ripe melon and honeysuckle that are effortless and mouthwatering, backed by lemongrass and candied ginger notes on the long, expressive finish.

V93 Vinous
The 2021 Sauvignon from Greywacke is classic yet classy. It is richly aromatic yet not flamboyant, with good purity of fruit: expect flavors of black currant and nectarine alongside subtle tropical fruit and citrus. Due to a naturally low-yielding season, it offers impressive concentration and a ripe, succulent midpalate. The fine, mouthwatering acidity provides length and line on the zesty, passionfruit-infused, lightly structured finish. Delightful in youth, but it will evolve and provide a different Sauvignon experience in five to seven years.
JS93 James Suckling

An aromatic nose of white flowers, peaches, sage and a hint of banana leaf. Medium-bodied with silky texture and a crisp finish. Refreshing and tasty, showing a lot of restraint and class. Drink or hold. Screw cap.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 6

53 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

28 minutes ago, richwmn said:

HAL does this as well and it is helpful but not always in sight.

I once sailed HAL over April 1st. All of the day-of-the-week rugs were a different day! 😄

• Like 7
  • Haha 25

Happy Monday and Happy Heavenly Birthday President Truman.  Thank you Rich, Sandi, Eva, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann.  Irises are beautiful and we all deserve to reward ourselves.  The Seneca quote is so true.  I have never been to Martinique.  We do have a great day in history.  I think I'll pass on the chili.  I have never been on a BHB between the dates of May 6 and May 14 so I'm winging it a bit.  Today's alternative is Fruit Salad with Yogurt and Honey, Orange and Radiccio Salad and Beechers Macaroni and Cheese which would have been my choices 4/22/14 if I had not been in Canaletto that day.

Roy

• Like 28

Monday May 8 care and celebration list

Erewon Mia?

Jodiesme1 mother and Her DH with Covid in Guatemala 

Crabby Patti caring for DF  who is no longer ambulatory

Jazzyv with terrible knee and back pain

Cunnorl recovering from surgery 

Cruzn single recuperating

Vict0rian’s DH Pat recuperating 

Tupper10 with post op pain but doing ok

Alberta wildfires, 25000 evacuated

Too many shooting victims every day- Dallas mall 9

Citizens of Ukraine and the Sudan 

From the rotation:

Status of St. Louis Sal(6/29/22) and JAM37 (6/20/22)

Status of irishjim (10/31/22)

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Celebrations

National nursing week May 8 to 14 in Canada

Tana responding to medication

Cruzn single stepson with successful non cancerous tumour removal

NextOne not needing any procedures, July cruise is on!

Luvteaching DH making progress on mobility

Surgery date for smitty34877 DH

Father David on a pilgrimage for 3 weeks (May 21)

Bennybear feeling better

Mamaofami’s dh pneumonia free

Mamaofami with good oncology report

Ocean sounds in London for coronation 

Rafinmd fleshing out September and November cruises

RMLincoln good eye report  surgery date for other eye

Good news on surgery for vict0rian’s DH Pat

St Pete cruiser home

Ivan settling in with kazu and getting groomed 

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming

7 days SusieKIslandGirl (Nieuw Statendam 5/14 to5/28)

Cruising

Lazey1 (volendam to 5/10)

Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/12), 

Sharon in AZ (Volendam to 5/17) at sea

Marshhawk (Nieuw Amsterdam to 5/21)

Jazzyv cruise Germany vacation to 5/28

Cruising sister (Nieuw Statendam to 5/28)

• Like 15
  • Thanks 14

Good morning everyone. Thanks for the Fleet Report and all the great information. 

Sunny start for today. Maybe I will take the laptop outside today and work from there.

Just a little sore today from clearing the planting beds but it was enjoyable work. 

20 days until my cruise. Getting closer!

Thinking of you all. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

• Like 21

Good Monday morning.  It looks like it will be a nice sunny day here.

i have been to Martinique but don’t have any photos. It appears that every time we have been there has been a Sunday and we ended up going to Mass at the Cathedral.  A beautiful church.  Most of the stores were closed.

Today we will continue to see what we can do to on getting the situation with DBIL’s estate cleared up.  I am sure that is going to take a good part of the day.  We have an attorney in NY working on this and now it seems we need another down here in SC.  I hope not.

Another thing making me nervous is that it is 5 weeks to our cruise and we are far from ready to go.

I have yet to know what we are going to do in the various ports.  i have about 5 of them organized and many where we are still wondering what we will do.

Wednesday the house gets power washed. Next Monday Jim has MOHS surgery on a spot on his head.   On the 17th they will attempt to deliver another dryer.  Still waiting for one that is not damaged.  

Adding to this we have decided to get another Covid booster before we leave.  I think we want to do this soon so that we can deal with any reactions we may have.  Note that aI usually have a polymyalgia flare-up after the vaccinations.  I originally had thought of not getting another shot but after seeing how many people have returned from cruises with Covid, I decided that i was better off getting the vaccination than not.  So we will do that at the end of next week.

I did manage to sleep last night.  I think I was so tired that nothing was going to keep me awake.  I slept about 8 1/2 hours, which is pretty good for me.  Went right to bed after watching the final episode of “Call the Midwife”. Love that program.

Thank you to all that make this thread happen.  @StLouisCruisers, @superoma, @dfish, @summer slope, @cat shepard.  What would we do without you!

Prayers for everyone on the Cares list.  It makes me realize that my problems are small in comparison.  

I hope everyone has a good day.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  It’s a beautiful day and the sounds of newly hatched babies are coming from the gourds.  It’s too soon for irises here but when they bloom they are beautiful.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds really good.  Yesterday I mostly packed for the Zaandam cruise but wasn’t as successful for the work trip.  I also managed to weed a section of the yard.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.thumb.png.b3273833c3f410e0e56b0767101944c2.png

• Like 21
  • Haha 9