The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday May 26th, 2023

richwmn

Good morning from a mostly sunny central Texas.  It 71F and heading to 84F this afternoon.  At least, I'll be working in the port out of the sun this afternoon.

Wishing all who celebrate a good Shavuot.

I was never good at making and flying paper airplanes.  Sally K. Ride was an amazing woman.  Our DDs elementary school was named for her.  My mother was a natural red head with thick auburn hair.

I always loved listening to George Burns.

We'll pass on the meal, drink and wine.

We have not been to Aqaba or Petra.  That port was on the two world cruises that were canceled.

The Model T definitely change the car world by allowing the average family to purchase one.  And you could get it in any color as long as it was black, according to Henry Ford.

3 hours ago, superoma said:

Good morning all. Sunshine high of 70 today but possible frost on low lying areas tonight. I will be out of touch until suppertime as we are across the county dealing with dad’s estate and I have no data on my phone. Hope everyone has a great day.

Eva, I hope all goes well today with your dad's estate.  I also hope you can avoid probate.

2 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning from Bar Harbor,  thanks for today's daily fleet report.  I'll pass on today's meal suggestion. We will be in the Canaletto tonight for our last dinner on the Zaandam.  Once immigration is finished we will get on a tender and walk around town.  

I forgot to mention that during yesterday's mariner event the host said that all ships eill have Starlink by the end of the year. They will keep the old system in place as a backup.

Also, a change from the past.  The mariner drink cards can now be used for any drink. Not just the special drink.

20230526_074405.thumb.jpg.11fa25dcca97833b789ebdd6c5f5df82.jpg

Jake, thanks for the information about Starlink and the Mariner drink cards.

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Fluff 💔She just passed at home in my arms.Thank you God for 9 years with our sweet girl

IMG_1209.jpeg

I'm sorry that Fluff has passed.  I'm glad she was comfortable her last days, and was with the person she loved when she passed.

25 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@smitty34877 Yes we did explore Vancouver.  We had made plans to go to certain areas each day, but based on the weather we changed plans.

We arrived on Wednesday night, and on Thursday decided to go to the Mariner Museum, the one that is south west of Granville Island.  We took a cab, and the driver said no one ever goes to that museum, he even wanted to drop us off at the science museum instead, but we declined, as we wanted to see the first ship that headed west too east (and back again) on the Northwest Passage.  The ship is there in it's entirety and on the hour they let people go aboard.  Seeing the size of the cabins, bunks, and the food they ate really made us appreciate modern cruising.  We took a water taxi over to Granville Island, had a not so great lunch at a German restaurant, and wandered the "farmers" market, we sampled, tasted, ate all afternoon, took the water taxi across the river, and got a cab back to the hotel.  

On Friday we were picked up at the hotel by a tour bus, which drove to the ferry, loaded on the ferry and we went to Butchart Gardens and Victoria.  In the rain.  The gardens were beautiful, all the tulips were in bloom, and even though DH couldn't walk far, we saw enough to say we had been there, and at the same time wish we had two days to spend there.  The bus then took us to downtown Victoria, and parked right in front of the the BC Museum, while others took off to explore, DH and I visited the museum, and found the most fantastic gift shop, just as the museum was closing.  (now you know what I did when our last port of call was Victoria)  We took the ferry back, and we got back to our hotel at 10 pm.   We found a Turkish sandwich shop a block behind our hotel and had one of the best meals in our lives!  

Off to run errands now.  More later.

Annie, I'm glad you enjoyed Vancouver and Victoria, but sorry about the rain.

345287197_1289060865025617_8550488551838742428_n.jpg.fcb6881dd878147d8a32b12319e16919.jpg

348567492_736948241506745_6069991474920118099_n.thumb.jpg.b96cbf0609309780846d51903fe0b438.jpg

348657090_778897223632735_3364402165607502723_n.jpg.ad8838ecdddb729367af5a2dbf76ad9e.jpg

349061141_262699026241220_133786785290113149_n.thumb.jpg.34813faad0af9c01a5a5c27bdcc2e954.jpg

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 17

Good morning everyone, happy Friday!

My thanks to the daily contributors to the R & D and all of other features included here...

World Redhead Day hits very close to home in my family; all of my siblings have red hair but I do not.

Both of my parents have red hair in their families and my Mom had red hair. I take after my Dad's side who also had blondes. I also inherited other things from him, like allergies.

@dfish so glad your surgery went well and you are home. Hope your uncomfortableness goes away quickly! 

@1ANGELCAT I am so sorry about the passing of your sweetie baby Fluff. Beautiful kitty! May your happy memories with her comfort you during your sadness.

@Denise T Bon Voyage and safe travels. Alaska is beautiful and is a good cruise vacation.

@Nickelpenny Congrats on your retirement! I am sure it is well deserved.

Prayers for all of us, especially for those struggling. Cheers to all celebrating anything, we need to celebrate when we can. 😊

Have a good Memorial Weekend (USA) all! Remember those who gave to our country.

Take care and safe travels

Caron

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all!

It's going to be a beautiful day here, sunny and low 70's.  Maybe I can catch up on the gardening.

Good collection of days today.  When I was younger I was a natural "strawberry blonde", that's as close to being a redhead as I got.  Our DGS got a book at Christmas all about making different styles of paper airplanes, he's gotten quite good at it.  I've always loved that quote from George Burns.  Miss him!  I'll pass on the drink, red wine and meal today and have never been to Petra but would love to go if I could take that heat.  Sandi @StLouisCruisers it amazes me that you could walk so far in that stifling heat!  Thanks for the amazing photos.  I noticed that in @Nickelpenny's photos people were wearing jackets -- so it must have been cooler then -- I'm all for that!  Thank you for your great photos too.  

@Denise T Safe travels!

@Nickelpenny Congratulations on your retirement!

@kochleffel Happy Shavout!

@1ANGELCAT I'm so very sorry that your sweet Fluff has crossed the Rainbow Bridge. Losing our fur babies is so hard.  You gave her a good life and she felt your love up until the last minute.  (((hugs)))

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Plenty of red heads in my family, my mother, two of my four sisters (the other two blonde) brother and I all had red hair, dear MIL had nice auburn hair. Now, blonder, whiter or more silver as we age. 🙂
Today, we travel to the great state of Washington for most of the summer. Looking forward to fun with grandchildren, shucking oysters, pulling crab pots, fishing, some sewing and needlework & hours of “niksen”, doing nothing (Dutch wellness).

Prayers for the care list, prayers for safe travels to Daily-ites on the move, thanks to all for sharing stories. Thanks and honor on Memorial Day and every day, to those who lost their lives in service to protect us. 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, 

It's a lovely day here in the Pacific Northwest with highs in the mid-70s. I can handle that. 

DS is a red-head and he keeps his hair long and his beard long (much to his grandmother's dismay). 

DH is making good progress. We had his Care Conference on Wednesday and he'll be in the rehab place for a few more weeks which is good. He's almost met the goal of standing for 2 minutes unassisted and to transfer from bed to wheelchair. His verbal skills have come back even better than before so that's good. Now we have to decide if we can do the cruise we have booked in September. I have another week to decide so we'll see how life goes. 

Have a Good Friday! 

Karen

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks all!  Wishing a good Shavout to all who celebrate,

Gotta love redheads, my dear aunt was one until her mid nineties! 
I would love to go to Petra, thanks for the photos Sandi!  
@1ANGELCATsorry to hear of the loss of Fluff,  hard to lose a faithful friend.

@Nickelpenny happy retirement!  Now a new chapter begins!  
@dfish one day at a time!  Hope you’re more comfortable soon!i

@luvteaching what great news! Hope DH gets stronger each day! 

@Denise Tsafe Travels! 

DSC_0170.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 3

It's believed that King David had red hair, although the Biblical source for it is open to other interpretations.

I would like the meal. Earlier this week I wanted to make a recipe that required dashi, but I could get neither dashi powder nor kombu. Dashi powder has probably never been available here; kombu usually is. I was perplexed by the drink but it seems that the kumquat is only a garnish. OK on the wine, if available. I haven't been to Aqaba or Petra. Years ago I attended a conference in Israel that had an option to add on a trip to Petra, but I was working in a state where school opens before the middle of August and I had to get home.

Many thanks for the Shavuot greetings. I'm teaching tonight at a study session that begins sometime after 9:00 p.m. These are supposed to last all night but our community has never gone past 11:30 p.m., which is actually pretty good for people who usually go to bed at 9:00.

tensuggestions.jpg.578147f05d7cd907e77f7d897602941e.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

Good Happy Happy Morning to All!!

Thanks for the info and pics.  I have been to Petra and actually got scammed by a cute young thing with 2 horses.  BUT I would do it again in a heartbeat.  Petra was amazing.  Spent 3 days driving around Jordan.  Thanks everyone for the "congrats" on my retirement.  🙂 Pictures4952.thumb.jpg.304b54a057c4262f1121f61bcdaa81f6.jpgPictures464.thumb.jpg.ee63fb93eb4cc46f0ddeef8f18a11b59.jpgPictures427.thumb.jpg.5a3d4ad7869fdebf956b9548c60d93d8.jpgPictures423.thumb.jpg.0d89b1457b7d934e2e9c2fb3fdb07ece.jpgPictures421.thumb.jpg.f31109d64b955482233f6cb5dc381b21.jpgPictures420.thumb.jpg.fc70d59530496934a98dcef5b2060353.jpgPictures407.thumb.jpg.8673a006152a85f161b27deedae62669.jpgPictures404.thumb.jpg.f43b7d109a54b34f44882118afb2976c.jpgPictures398.thumb.jpg.a74935a9ad0d635f5d394a6f7b52a53b.jpgPictures385.thumb.jpg.5583d68c2b182550bf1cd17f4d990ada.jpgPictures383.thumb.jpg.74c2c7828210625962ef809c60826a05.jpgPictures375.thumb.jpg.ea0747c7a4d0cb55ee6913bc1a909524.jpgPictures368.thumb.jpg.9c751ac19af49138c2c2d32a60c36ba7.jpgPictures342.thumb.jpg.19fff97600011c081ee75d6b04ee3608.jpgPictures3332.thumb.jpg.569dd994e63e0a57bb14de1945aed8a1.jpg

Congratulations on your long awaited retirement!  What month did you go to Petra?  Was it cool in the early morning there?  We went in October and it was hotter than the gates of H E double hockey sticks!🥵

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

And now back to Vancouver-if you don't want day 3-please skip. Day three, we are tired, long day on the bus/ferry/walking/ferry/bus. And a late dinner...now wanting another one of those sandwiches....So now we walked down to the Vancouver Art Gallery, which for some reason I thought was a museum, not really...turns out it is an area that shows exhibits from  modern/living/local artists.  And I might get confused a bit about one of the exhibits, but it was very powerful.  It was the life story, and her stories, of Alanis Obomsawin

Alanis Obomsawin, CC, GOQ, filmmaker, singer, artist, storyteller (born 31 August 1932 near Lebanon, New Hampshire). Alanis Obomsawin is one of Canada’s most distinguished documentary filmmakers.

She did a documentary about an incident where the town members of the Oka tribe resisted police arrest and eviction from their town.  She did not leave when the CBC did, as she felt that it needed to be documented. And stayed with the tribe until the day before they surrendered, and then she walked out on her own.  Her documentaries " shattered mainstream Canada's  illusions that the state's relationship to Indigenous Peoples was essentially benevolent". 

I actually could have stayed in that exhibit for a year.  Full length documentaries,  her art, videos' of her music, just wowed me.  But outside the gallery was a street market of marijuana.  Now I grew up in the 60's and 70's and smoked my fair share of mary jane in my youth, but to see it hawked on the streets was to me, disgusting.  If it's legal and sold in stores, and you know what you get, then why sell it on the street, when you dont know what you get. The police were everywhere around them, making sure they didn't cross the sales line (you could walk in past the sale line, but the seller could not walk out and try to sell his product.) Just remember too, that while legal in Canada and Alaska, it is not legal on the ship, as one poor sot found out...

And that night for dinner, we walked back to a Greek restaurant that we had had dinner in on our last night in Vancouver in 2016.  The walk seemed longer now, but the food was just as good.  And on the 4th day, we embarked, and it was a zoo!

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 23

5 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

@Denise T So excited for you!  Hope all the errands go well today. We often began with an overnight at an airport hotel, it was 90 minutes from home. One time we got there after finishing errands on the way and discovered we were missing a computer cable. We drove home to get it!  “Take 2” three hrs later but we slept better and used that cable a lot on the long, multi phased trip ahead through Europe for 2 months including multiple cruises. Will check in on your Live thread!  Packing patience is the best. Tomorrow shouldn’t be too bad a travel day, enjoy it all!  

@kochleffel Happy Shavuot!  May you enjoy some special foods that won’t make you feel ill.  

@Nickelpenny  Congratulations 🎉 on your retirement and the commencement of a new chapter. 

We have a Redhead granddaughter coming to visit today with her DH!  Feeling very excited and oh so blessed to have her in our lives. 

I think kumquat jam ruins the good bourbon. Green chiles can enhance just about everything, as I learned in my 40 yrs in NM. 

Yesterday I spent several hours emailing with my cousins and siblings. The cousin we lost in March, while we were on our family cruise on Rotterdam, was thoughtful enough to include all her cousins in her will. And now we don’t even get to say thank you….   She was 97 and a role model especially for my sister, her goddaughter, and me. I’m grateful DH and I got to visit her as often as we could in her Houston homes. We cruised in and out of there a few times, and spent 4 months there for radiation treatment in early 2020, so we saw her several times then before COVID erupted. Sending out positive thoughts to Eva @superoma and her sister as they continue dealing with their DF’s passing and his estate, make the process unfold smoothly!  

Graham @grapau27 I appreciate you sharing your insights about cruises from Britain. More of a possibility than us getting to Petra at this point!  
Thanks Sandi for all the photos!  We can tell you really had a grand time!  

Off to do the final chores before the “kids” arrive this afternoon!  

Honoring all who gave their lives serving their country and us as kick off Memorial Day weekend 🫡

Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope near and far. 
🥂 Cheers to all celebrating. Life is Good! 
Safe and smooth travels to all away!  

Maureen 

Celebrating Redhead IMG_1458.thumb.jpeg.a881ce7b85e5c07ba61d7493d5c140c4.jpegDGD and her DH’s anniversary on Rotterdam. 

Lovely couple.

Happy anniversary to them both Maureen.

anniversary-3.gif

• Like 11

Debbie @dfish I hope you can soon be comfortable.  Rest and recover - it takes time but you’re on the road to recovery 🙏🏻 

IMG_3632.jpeg.dab4aa8b1eb705c240646adb8382ed3f.jpeg

IMG_3631.jpeg.a99a0d0f6fe5e73064c02853be546cd8.jpeg

4 hours ago, luvteaching said:

DH is making good progress. We had his Care Conference on Wednesday and he'll be in the rehab place for a few more weeks which is good. He's almost met the goal of standing for 2 minutes unassisted and to transfer from bed to wheelchair. His verbal skills have come back even better than before so that's good. Now we have to decide if we can do the cruise we have booked in September. I have another week to decide so we'll see how life goes. 

Karen - this is such good news 👍. It sounds like your DH is making really good progress - I’m so happy to hear this.  

Listen to your heart on the cruise and use HAL’s cancellation insurance if you decide to book since pre-existing conditions don’t apply.

• Like 17