The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday June 6th, 2023

richwmn

18 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

It's graduation on Friday for our local high school and I'm working on tracking down my grads (kids I had in 6th grade) so I can send them cards

What a wonderful idea. I hope you hear back from some of them.  I had my seniors write letters to themselves.  I told them to write about their hopes and dreams, their friends and enemies, their likes and dislikes.  Then I had them address the envelope care of someone they thought would be at the same address in 5 years and would be able to get the letter to them.  The best part of the experience was when they wrote back to me.  It was wonderful to find out how they were doing.

We our looking forward to our Overlord Tour during our visit to LeHavre on our TA in October. We will visit Omaha Beach, the American cemetery and the Visitor Center.  When returning to the ship we will stop in Bayeux & Honfleur. If anyone has any tips or insights, they would be appreciated.

Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 23

16 minutes ago, 0106 said:

What a wonderful idea. I hope you hear back from some of them.  I had my seniors write letters to themselves.  I told them to write about their hopes and dreams, their friends and enemies, their likes and dislikes.  Then I had them address the envelope care of someone they thought would be at the same address in 5 years and would be able to get the letter to them.  The best part of the experience was when they wrote back to me.  It was wonderful to find out how they were doing.

I love this idea! In our district the grads are bused back to their elementary schools, this year the day before grad. If you didn't go to elementary in the district you go to a friend's elementary. At the elementary schools the grads are treated as stars, meet former teachers, get some sort of send-off, etc. In our case we had them be in the gym, they got the mike and told about their best memory of our school and what they are planning on doing. They all wear their caps and gowns. It's quite something for the younger kids to see and even more meaningful for the siblings of the grads. 

I wish I'd hear back from more of them. I usually only get a couple of thank you cards and I do get a few grad announcements. It's a smaller community so I often see them at the local grocery store, the big box store, etc. Somehow they've changed since 6th grade! 

Karen

• Like 21

After returning from our 10,000 step walking tour we took a rest then went to the Den Lounge for libations followed by dinner in MDR. Meals and service was spot on. We watched the guest violinist who was an outstanding performer. 

Here’s some pics of today’s tour in Malaga.

The palace, Roman Theater ruins, Cathedral and beautiful city of Malaga, Spain.

image.thumb.jpeg.061de240c3a39d09deb77f790ad627f1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bca1f9033cbbc94cc4505704cf528b15.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c9a1cffc3cc3553bd3009a78b091ff67.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3dd83df9fb8c2986d79eb8eef3894735.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fca75eac5ed44a172ba9e9523596fcce.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.cf5a18a142f5113edf74daaed5bf864f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.abca3dddbf62031c02ff05b34f5a0140.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.950bbce66651143436baca6519e82da0.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Happy Tuesday and thanks for all of the news here.  Had lunch with my Red Hat friends today.  Sadly, 1 of our group who was about to turn 100 next month died last week.  It was a sad lunch today, but we shared happy memories of her. 

I'm sharing a picture of my straw bale garden.  This is the 3rd year doing this, we've had some good results.  We'll see how this year goes, the plants are perky today because its a little cooler.  They aren't real happy with the 80+ degree temps.  

Have a great rest of the day.  Prayers and hugs for all who need them.  It's another fish fry tonite.  DH and his buddy caught a lot yesterday!😀  (how do you rotate a photo? LOL)

20230606_162535.jpg

• Like 20

Good Evening,  thanks for today's report.  It was a very busy in office day with meetings throughout the entire day, I even left late.  Heading home the temperature was 78F. Heading home I went through a downpour and was 64F by the time I got home.  I'd like today's meal suggestion if someone else is cooking.

Mona rarely let's me get a picture but she did last night.  She's such a sweet girl. 

20230605_191029.thumb.jpg.a0a61bd8968caa6890f24a65da145a73.jpg

• Like 20

I worked in higher education for 20+ years, which gave me a jaundiced view of it. This is from working mostly in administration and dealing with rogue presidents.

No air-fryer-anything here. Not sure about the cocktail. Might like the wine; I thought it would be fairly sweet but the description doesn't say that. I haven't been to Japan.

One of my friends here was invited a few years ago by the French government to a memorial ceremony at the military cemetery from Operation Dragoon, the second allied landing, which took place in Provence in August 1944. It had been planned to be simultaneous with the Normandy landing, but wasn't feasible then; it later became clear that the Normandy ports didn't have sufficient capacity to supply the allied forces, and they needed to liberate Toulon and Marseille. His uncle died there and each year France tracks down a few relatives of the soldiers buried in the south of France and invites them to the ceremony. He has video of the ceremony and it was very moving.

We have had an air-quality alert since yesterday, and it will last at least through tomorrow evening. Yesterday afternoon there was some haze and today there is enough smoke that it is unpleasant to be outside.  I'm thinking of how much worse it must be closer to the fires.

I've made a hotel reservation for Moab, Utah, for May 2024. I was planning to rent a cottage, but every cottage seemed to have something wrong with it and a good hotel cost less than any of them. Most of them had only mini-fridge, microwave, and coffeemaker, and the hotel room has all of those. The air travel will be with a credit that I have to use soon, but it's still too early to book for that time.

thosewhowail.thumb.gif.86c159ae67e6be74785eff58984dfa8c.gif

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I worked in higher education for 20+ years, which gave me a jaundiced view of it. This is from working mostly in administration and dealing with rogue presidents.

No air-fryer-anything here. Not sure about the cocktail. Might like the wine; I thought it would be fairly sweet but the description doesn't say that. I haven't been to Japan.

One of my friends here was invited a few years ago by the French government to a memorial ceremony at the military cemetery from Operation Dragoon, the second allied landing, which took place in Provence in August 1944. It had been planned to be simultaneous with the Normandy landing, but wasn't feasible then; it later became clear that the Normandy ports didn't have sufficient capacity to supply the allied forces, and they needed to liberate Toulon and Marseille. His uncle died there and each year France tracks down a few relatives of the soldiers buried in the south of France and invites them to the ceremony. He has video of the ceremony and it was very moving.

We have had an air-quality alert since yesterday, and it will last at least through tomorrow evening. Yesterday afternoon there was some haze and today there is enough smoke that it is unpleasant to be outside.  I'm thinking of how much worse it must be closer to the fires.

I've made a hotel reservation for Moab, Utah, for May 2024. I was planning to rent a cottage, but every cottage seemed to have something wrong with it and a good hotel cost less than any of them. Most of them had only mini-fridge, microwave, and coffeemaker, and the hotel room has all of those. The air travel will be with a credit that I have to use soon, but it's still too early to book for that time.

Moab is stunningly beautiful, but pricey!  Looking forward to hearing about your visit! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.  Today, DH had a follow up appointment after a ultrasound scan of the veins in both legs last week.  They wanted the scan since it has been more than six months since the blood clot and he is off the blood thinners.  The scan showed no problems with the veins.  It's always nice to get good news from a doctor.

9 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites. Thanks Rich for our Daily. 

Goodness what is happening in our world of news!! Floods, hurricanes,  tornadoes, crashes, clashes, murders and thieves. Praying for Ukraine as the dam burst and people in harm's way. Prayers for Ren's teammates and to all on our cares list. My toe is not broken thank you! The nail is broken down past the quick and I have a soak routine, so I am already on the mend.

Our dog walk this morning was much calmer although we were BOTH on the lookout for critters!  

I used to play yo-yo but loved spinning the top. Also loved paddle ball.

image.png.9b23c3f63a61c696a59596f22079a1b6.png

Meeting friends for lunch today and perhaps a few more walks with my house guest. 

Wishing you all a blessed day!

My sweet nephew at 6 mos

mitene4CC2D80A-11BD-492B-BD1B-8A1DFEE61090.thumb.jpeg.2f57bed86e70b57a6331dc69cd4f5ff0.jpeg

Here's what happens when you come back from the bathroom and someone steals your spot..

06062306382.thumb.jpg.f2f27e59fb33ad1129d13fae6eaf27bf.jpg

Joy, in my haste to get ready to head to Waco, I forgot to mention your nephew is adorable and such a happy looking baby.  You have every right to be a proud aunt.

6 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning, 

It's another lovely day in the PNW. DS is not on the roof today - or tomorrow - due to heat, but he is working on getting our new roof on. 

For the cookie bakers I just took out the last sheet of oatmeal butterscotch. I take some cookies or treat in to the staff at DH's facility on a daily basis. I do take requests and they are waiting for the new treats to arrive! 

DH continues to improve. We tried getting into the car on Thursday but he couldn't do it. However it allowed the therapists to break the task down and now they are working on pivoting, etc. If he can get in and out of the car fairly independently it opens up so many things for us. I also paid for our September Alaska cruise on the Westerdam. I have it totally insured so if we can't make it we'll be ok. It's a powerful incentive for him to keep working so it's worth it. 

I'm not a gardener and DS will mow the lawn this week. I did do ok with the yo-yo and we had the Yo-Yo Man do assemblies at school for a few years. 

It's graduation on Friday for our local high school and I'm working on tracking down my grads (kids I had in 6th grade) so I can send them cards. So far, out of 27, I sent off 20 cards (with $5.00 Starbucks cards enclosed) yesterday. I have one in Pennsylvania, one in North Carolina, one in Montana, and one in Wyoming. It's fun to catch up with them. I also have 4 that I taught their parents! 

Enjoy the day!

Karen

Karen, I'm glad your DH is continuing to improve.  The attempt to get in the car was not a complete failure, since it helped the therapists know what areas need work.  I hope you are able to go on your cruise.

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Evening,  thanks for today's report.  It was a very busy in office day with meetings throughout the entire day, I even left late.  Heading home the temperature was 78F. Heading home I went through a downpour and was 64F by the time I got home.  I'd like today's meal suggestion if someone else is cooking.

Mona rarely let's me get a picture but she did last night.  She's such a sweet girl. 

20230605_191029.thumb.jpg.a0a61bd8968caa6890f24a65da145a73.jpg

Jake, Mona is a real beauty.

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

Paul, I'm happy you have reservations for Moab next year.  The scenery in the area is spectacular.  Plan to spend at least one day in Arches National Park, and if possible, try to try to travel several of the backroads along the Colorado River.  Dead Horse State Park is also worth checking out.

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good evening, everyone.

I had my surgical follow up visit this morning and I am all set to go.  When I asked if I could go back to weight lifting, I thought he might choke, so I said I was joking.  I'll give it another couple of weeks.  Then, I went to the endocrinologist.  The surgeon wanted me to follow up with him, so I did.  I have graduated from the endocrinology practice since all of my issues have now been resolved.  At least we think so.  

Painting continued today and there is a first coat on everything and a second coat on the hard stuff.  Tomorrow we put the second coat on and do the touch ups.  I went and got samples of the green for the flashing and we did test swatches.   

IMG_2399.thumb.jpg.482a407e2d69818f400093aea9767d8a.jpg

We're leaning towards the darker green one.  In the sun the lighter one looks yellow.  

IMG_2405.thumb.jpg.653369d4c64df8d993539d815fd20e72.jpg

• Like 18

47 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good evening, everyone.

I had my surgical follow up visit this morning and I am all set to go.  When I asked if I could go back to weight lifting, I thought he might choke, so I said I was joking.  I'll give it another couple of weeks.  Then, I went to the endocrinologist.  The surgeon wanted me to follow up with him, so I did.  I have graduated from the endocrinology practice since all of my issues have now been resolved.  At least we think so.  

Painting continued today and there is a first coat on everything and a second coat on the hard stuff.  Tomorrow we put the second coat on and do the touch ups.  I went and got samples of the green for the flashing and we did test swatches.   

IMG_2399.thumb.jpg.482a407e2d69818f400093aea9767d8a.jpg

We're leaning towards the darker green one.  In the sun the lighter one looks yellow.  

IMG_2405.thumb.jpg.653369d4c64df8d993539d815fd20e72.jpg

Looking good.  I can't wait to see it with the trim painted.

Lenda

• Like 7

Sorry I haven’t been around for a few days.  Things have been a little hectic around here and I have not been feeling well.  

Trying to get everything done before we leave for London on June 17.  We drive to JAX on Friday afternoon and then fly out the next day.

Too much to do and need to feel better.

Hopefully will be in better shape tomorrow.

Terri

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I lasted just one hour tonight before the coughing at a patron started happening, and I bowed out from calling.  Boss, says get better.  Trying to, but I am tired.

cat6.gif

1sb193.jpg

e571ff186764e772f754638dfc383d11.jpg

I hope you all have a good nights sleep!  

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 15

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

Moab is stunningly beautiful, but pricey!  Looking forward to hearing about your visit! 

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I'm happy you have reservations for Moab next year.  The scenery in the area is spectacular.  Plan to spend at least one day in Arches National Park, and if possible, try to try to travel several of the backroads along the Colorado River.  Dead Horse State Park is also worth checking out.

Thank you. The current plan is to start the trip on May 1 -- I'd like it to be a little earlier, but that's Passover. The purpose, aside from the pleasure of being somewhere new, is to visit Arches and Canyonlands. Others have tried to persuade me to add Bryce and Zion, but it results in more driving than I want to do; I've lived in the West and know that distances can be great, but I don't intend to spend most of the trip in a car, and I envision wanting to visit Arches more than once.

• Like 9

56 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Where are the wildfires raging at in Canada, BC?

I THINK mostly Alberta and Quebec.  It's the Quebec fires now causing the issues on the East Coast.

Roy

• Thanks 2