Have you done Northstar? Opinions, please.

I realize the Northstar ride is very popular on

certain Royal Caribbean ships that have it. Is it really”all that”?  It seems to me that most of the time you wouldn’t see a whole lot more at the highest level than you would see from the highest deck. I am especially thinking of when the ship is at sea (assuming it operates at sea) or particularly as the ship cruises through the inside passage in Alaska.

Perhaps I am wrong, but it seems like where the ship is at the moment you do it would have a huge bearing on what you could really see from being up higher than the top deck of the ship.   

The current price to do it is $19 per person. So $96 for a family of five.

Did you think it was really fun? Mildly fun? So -  so? 

We have done both the paid and the free version and very much enjoyed both. 

The free version is exactly that - free - so it won’t cost you and your family any money at all. The reservations for the free spots do fill up fast, so get on the app, reserve your free time, and give it a try. 

Agree...the ride is not "all that" but we have only done the free rides. Perhaps someone who paid will chime in.

It's one of those things you try just to say you've done it. It's unique but save your money and book the free rides.

* Now the IFly...this is fun...always the highlight of our cruise.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, we haven't made it on one of those yet.  We've cruised on the Anthum to Bermuda and it was broken.  We cruised on the Ovation and they said it was broken.  I actually think it wasn't broken on Ovation, the ship was seriously understaffed and I think they just didn't want to staff it.  That's my SWAG!  But, I'm looking forward to it one day.  I think it would be a good opportunity for some good photography.  

Edited by Ret MP

Thanks for the replies everyone.bonsai3s, I have a feeling my take on these things will be the same as your’s.

Our cruise is just a couple of weeks away. Our daughter’s family will be going and they are especially anxious to do these rides. The cruise before our’s  allowed booking these things 30 days prior to the cruise. Bookings for our’s didn’t open until, I believe it was, Tuesday. Probably late morning or afternoon. They weren’t available on the app but only on royalcaribbean.com. Only day 2 & 6 were offered.  Of course, word spread like lightning they sold out nearly immediately. The next day they appeared on the app, and there was a bit of availability  - until you tried to book! Then no availability.  

Our dd’s family is very interested in booking these rides. We booked in March & the excursions my daughter’s family really, really wanted to do were already full. Both through RCI and  through independent tour booking sites. They really don’t want to miss doing these rides (our gs especially wants to do I fly (me,  too!), and it’s making everyone anxious to grab whatever spot comes along. I guess partly because so many things posted have turned out not to be accurate (even though they may have been in the very recent past)

thanks again for the input & info.! 

I have rode it several times including most recently earlier this year on Odyssey. I prefer riding it on a sea day since the ride is longer and it swings out over both sides of the ship. The views of both the ship and the surrounding area are awesome. It also provides the ability to take some incredible pictures, even for a novice like myself who just uses my iPhone. 

• Like 1

Suggestion: book the paid ride for later in the cruise and then try and book the free one for earlier in the cruise. If you manage to get the free one, you will know whether or not you like it enough to go back for the paid one. If you do, great, you've got your slot locked in. If you don't, cancel the paid one. The cost will revert to your account as OBC. You just need to be mindful of the deadline for cancelling. I'm not sure what that is, but probably at least 24 hours before.

I've done the free ride twice, once on Odyssey and once on Anthem and IMHO it's OK. I'm doing the paid one on my upcoming Anthem cruise because DD wants to do it.

• Like 2

Don't forget everyone saying  they did the free one did a very short ride... the paid ride is longer and takes you over the edges of the ship and goes on a bit longer. So like mentioned above, maybe booka paid one later, try the free one and if it's something you think everyone will want to do for longer, then you have the paid one ready to go. 

I did the free version on Odyssey over CocoCay and it was awesome. Looked like we went up higher than the expensive hot air balloon ride. While it was fully booked, there's a good chance you can walk up and ask if there are any cancellations -- if you're lucky like I was you're in.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

We did it on Anthem two different cruises.  Back when it was completely free and you just had to reserve a spot.  Was it cool? Yeah.  Would we pay for it?  No.  Both times we were at sea.  What was cool was how you could look down and see the deck and see farther out across the water.   First time, they swung us out a bit, second time, not at all.    First trip, they weighed each person, second time they didn't.  

Edited by BND

We thought it was definitely fun to do the free one, at least once. Can't see paying for it just to go over the side, and doing it again at all would probably depend on the port and what there might be to see.