No Buffet Seating

WestCoast505

20 hours ago, Tronoboy said:

Regarding use of tables in the "Lido" area, is this referring to the tables within the restaurant/buffet area or is it also tables within the area that is outside by the pool, on the Lido deck?

If within the buffet restaurant (which in many ships is on the "Lido" deck) then it would seem appropriate that the tables be used only for eating meals and not for passing the time in whatever manner during mealtimes (or maybe whenever).

But if the tables are outside, in the pool area, as many are, then what? I think that those are dual-purpose tables and can be used both for meals and non-meal activities. Then I say, stay as long as you wish to occupy the table, even if not eating. However, if we are going to require that these outside tables be considered part of the buffet restaurant during mealtimes and therefore not for other purposes, then those times would have to be specified by the ship or by consensus wouldn't they?

Maybe we should tackle the issue of poolside chair-hogs before the non-meal users of the "Lido tables" - after all, at least the table users are actually using the tables while the chair hogs are.....

(just occurred to me, there are times when the chair-hog is using a buffet table at the same time as a poolside lounger!)

In the end, I do like to live and let live - this sort of "misbehavior" I can deal with, as many in this thread have pointed out. It can be irritating however, of course.

I wouldn't think that tables out by the pool would be considered buffet tables.  But I've never experienced the crowding that I read about here.  I can't imagine how a ship could enforce 'varying hours' usage ... that could cause a lot of justified pushback.  But it all boils down to 'what areas are available for a large group to gather for several hours?'  You can't kick 'em out of an area without giving them a nice alternative to spend time together.  

Edited by jsn55
grammar
  • Like 1

Just use common sense. Tables on lido are usually multi purpose. Nothing wrong with a group sitting there and enjoying cocktails. 

Playing games inside the buffet restaurant at a table is totally void of common sense. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I see it differently.

The groups that do this are usually hard working families who when they get together at home, it’s around a table playing games with food and drinks nearby, out of the sun, with the kids outside playing.

Transferring these activities to a cruise ship is just the norm.

Inconvenient for some? Yes

Worth thinking the world is coming to an end? No

Now the many keyboard warriors might be sounding upset but they would never voice their opinion directly.

• Like 2

We only go to the buffet on any ship, much more choice for vegan/vegetarian. We have seldom found it too difficult to find a table, but when it has been crowded we have asked to join a table, and have offered to share a table. We have never seen tables full of folks who were not eating, I guess if we did we would ask to share.

If they get enough complaints about buffet "table hogs" management will do something about it. If no one complains they won't. Complaining on web forums might make you feel but better doesn't solve the problem. 

If something bothers you that much then complain in the moment to the people who can implement a solution. If you don't complain at the time then it really wasn't that big of a problem in the first place. 

• Like 2

On 6/24/2023 at 8:40 PM, klfrodo said:

Just my opinion, but I would think it all comes down to money. 

Are you Joe Schmoe and just want the table. Management's not going to do anything to disrupt a family who has every right to enjoy their vacation as does anyone else. Are they going to possibly start a huge fight to kick these people out? No

Are you a Saudi Prince who has booked all the suites for your family? Sorry canasta family, you're outta here.

No, I've never complained. None of my business. I may have had difficulty finding a place to sit during the busy hours, but I've always found somewhere to sit. And, if it's that busy, I just adjust my schedule.

Do you ask the staff to adjust their schedule too? Do you ask the speaker to delay the start of their talk, ask the ents staff to give you a bye to the final of shuffleboard, do you ask to delay the tour bus? Adjusting your schedule is not always possible. And eating at specific times and/or intervals can be vital to some.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FangedRose said:

And eating at specific times and/or intervals can be vital to some.

How many meals did this "person" miss?

With all the various options and places to eat on the ship, I would imagine that answer to be none.

Everybody on the ship has challenges in life. Some, a little more than others. I would think that all of these people have to manage their accommodations. If someone got ill, or worse, because they didn't eat at a specific time, cause a family was taking up a table for some family together time, there's bigger issues.

I mean really? There's 3000 people on the ship and 0.2% of the ship (1 family) is occupying a table, you're going to blame that table because someone missed their eating schedule. I would counter that the 1 person not eating on time is showing a higher level of entitlement than the people playing cards.

4 hours ago, K32682 said:

If they get enough complaints about buffet "table hogs" management will do something about it. If no one complains they won't. Complaining on web forums might make you feel but better doesn't solve the problem. 

If something bothers you that much then complain in the moment to the people who can implement a solution. If you don't complain at the time then it really wasn't that big of a problem in the first place. 

Celebrity seemed to be aware of the problem hence the signs on every table asking people to move on once they finished eating.  I think even if all the "table hogs" moved on, that buffet would still have issues with seating regardless.  Seemed more like an overall capacity issue.   Celebrity could extend the buffet hours also to accomodate more guests.  They could also make the lunch choices better in the MDR to entice more people to go there.  The buffet was excellent for lunch and many people seemed to be aware of that.  MDR was maybe at 30% capacity for lunch.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WestCoast505 said:

Celebrity seemed to be aware of the problem hence the signs on every table asking people to move on once they finished eating.  I think even if all the "table hogs" moved on, that buffet would still have issues with seating regardless.  Seemed more like an overall capacity issue.   Celebrity could extend the buffet hours also to accomodate more guests.  They could also make the lunch choices better in the MDR to entice more people to go there.  The buffet was excellent for lunch and many people seemed to be aware of that.  MDR was maybe at 30% capacity for lunch.   

Good points — of course extending hours is not the only tack.  In the past couple of decades.  mass market lines have expanded passenger capacity  from 2,000 on a then “large” ship to 5,000 and    mor e on today’s “large” ships.   They have not come close to comparably expanding  the capacity of non-revenue producing common areas:  lido’s, theatres, card rooms, etc. Libraries no longer exist on many ships - without spaces such as libraries and card rooms, buffet area dining tables will be required to serve double duty.    

It seems to work for the lines,   so we should expect to see more crowding in the future. 

16 hours ago, klfrodo said:

I see it differently.

Now the many keyboard warriors might be sounding upset but they would never voice their opinion directly.

Yes you do see it differently.  It is astounding that you would defend such execrable behavior.

And no, people would not voice their opinion directly because their idea of enjoying their vacation does not include getting into confrontations with inconsiderate and discourteous louts.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, klfrodo said:

I see it differently.

The groups that do this are usually hard working families who when they get together at home, it’s around a table playing games with food and drinks nearby, out of the sun, with the kids outside playing.

Transferring these activities to a cruise ship is just the norm.

Inconvenient for some? Yes

Worth thinking the world is coming to an end? No

So, what you're saying is, there is nowhere else on a cruise ship to sit down and play table games?  Hogging a dining table, preventing other people from being able to sit down and eat, is their best and only option?  And because there are other dining options, diners are supposed to acquiesce to game players in the dining area?  

Uh, no.  That is backwards logic.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, K32682 said:

I hope we don't see a rule about buffet table hogs.  If that happens it likely would go well beyond banning game playing.   Next there will be complaints about things like people lingering over coffee.  

While I agree finding a table can be frustrating and I agree there may be other places for board games, I doubt these folks are really a significant cause of the crowded buffet.  

As mentioned earlier, I've only been on one cruise (out of 40+) when it was very difficult to find a place to sit at lunch.  And, that wasn't because tables were being used by game players.   Other's experience apparently are different.   But I can only speak for mine, and for me this is simply not a huge issue.   

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

We are on the Celebrity Solstice now and have found the exact some thing except it almost every meal time except maybe later on at dinner. We’ve been on 12 cruises before and almost always eat at the buffet (kids etc). We’ve never had this problem. Really spoils the experience to be going in like hunger games every meal to find a table for a family of four as the food is fantastic. I think if they did away with maybe 30-50 of their what seems to be an unhealthy obsession with deck lounges they could put some more outdoor seating to help the problem.  

1 hour ago, Foxamara said:

Really spoils the experience to be going in like hunger games every meal to find a table for a family of four as the food is fantastic. 

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I have not sailed on Celebrity, but a strategy that sometimes works is to flag down a crewmember and ask them to find you a place for four. It may end up being four seats at a six-top, but at least you will be seating together.

• Like 1

Many people are used to eating in fast food places  & the idea of sitting in the dining room for  1-2 hrs being served  it too much to handle   so they head to the buffet

A friend of ours will only eat in the buffet  because he can snorkel his meal down in less than 20 -30 mins 

We prefer  the dining room & having  the waiter serve us

personal choice

• Like 1

This sounds like a problem without an easy solution. 

The large family group that wants to play games, where exactly are they to go? If they go to an inside area they will either be stuck in an empty lounge with no drink service; or be clogging up tables in whatever room they are in. I don't personally see an issue with people using buffet tables to congregate, I've never been on a cruise where there wasn't sufficient seating if you were willing to go outside. 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2023 at 12:11 PM, Aquahound said:

So, what you're saying is, there is nowhere else on a cruise ship to sit down and play table games?  Hogging a dining table, preventing other people from being able to sit down and eat, is their best and only option?  And because there are other dining options, diners are supposed to acquiesce to game players in the dining area?  

Uh, no.  That is backwards logic.  

I see.

I guess if what that family is choosing to do goes against your customs and culture, then THEY must be the backwards logic ones. THEY are wrong and infringing on YOUR rights.

I can see how we got where we are AGAIN!

19 hours ago, klfrodo said:

I see.

I guess if what that family is choosing to do goes against your customs and culture, then THEY must be the backwards logic ones. THEY are wrong and infringing on YOUR rights.

I can see how we got where we are AGAIN!

I see it as a matter of basic courtesy and consideration.  The buffet is for dining; if the ship doesn't have enough seating for everyone, pax can be considerate to people who are hungry.  How hard can it be to find a nice spot for a group to use for several hours?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I do not get it!  The "Lido" is a buffet dining area, not a card room, game room, lounge, etc.  It is a place intended for folks to eat or perhaps grab a cup of coffee, iced tea, etc.  That is it!  Period!  Over the years we have seen all kinds of strange things in lidos.  My favorite happened on one Princess cruise when DW and I sat down at a table to enjoy breakfast.  When we sat, there was another couple at the table (that had seating for 6).  The other couple finished and departed and we were alone at the table of 6 in a pretty empty lido as it was about 10am.  A lady came to our table and asked us to move because, she said, this was the table for her small knitting group.  Really?  I will not type what we told that lady, but suffice it to say that we stayed at that table another half hour to finish our breakfast and enjoy our coffee/tea.

We have cruised on more than 70 different cruise ships (over about 50 years).  Each of those ships had areas where folks could sit, relax, read, etc.  Most ships have some areas where game players can find chairs and a table.  

We seem to be in this era of "me me me" where folks believe it is their right to do as they please, when they please, where they please...with no consideration of others or rules.  Some cruise lines will actually close their lido for various periods of time for cleaning (and also to rid the place of lingerers).  Other lines (such as Princess) will generally keep the Lido open for extended hours so folks can relax with a cup of coffee, snack (if available), etc.  It is a dining area!  

I do think the reality is few care if folks push the envelope and use the Lido for games or knitting clubs..during quiet hours when there are few folks in the area.  But otherwise, those folks using a dining area for their activities are simply being selfish and rude.  Some ships have limited lido space, and folks have trouble finding seats/tables during busy meal times.  Also keep in mind that folks do not own the tables.  If you are playing cards and there are empty seats I would be well within my rights to invite myself to one of the empty seats.  And if a glass of iced tea accidently got spilled on the table (and the cards or board game)....well....oops!

Hank

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I do not get it!  The "Lido" is a buffet dining area, not a card room, game room, lounge, etc.  It is a place intended for folks to eat or perhaps grab a cup of coffee, iced tea, etc.  That is it!  Period!  Over the years we have seen all kinds of strange things in lidos.  My favorite happened on one Princess cruise when DW and I sat down at a table to enjoy breakfast.  When we sat, there was another couple at the table (that had seating for 6).  The other couple finished and departed and we were alone at the table of 6 in a pretty empty lido as it was about 10am.  A lady came to our table and asked us to move because, she said, this was the table for her small knitting group.  Really?  I will not type what we told that lady, but suffice it to say that we stayed at that table another half hour to finish our breakfast and enjoy our coffee/tea.

We have cruised on more than 70 different cruise ships (over about 50 years).  Each of those ships had areas where folks could sit, relax, read, etc.  Most ships have some areas where game players can find chairs and a table.  

We seem to be in this era of "me me me" where folks believe it is their right to do as they please, when they please, where they please...with no consideration of others or rules.  Some cruise lines will actually close their lido for various periods of time for cleaning (and also to rid the place of lingerers).  Other lines (such as Princess) will generally keep the Lido open for extended hours so folks can relax with a cup of coffee, snack (if available), etc.  It is a dining area!  

I do think the reality is few care if folks push the envelope and use the Lido for games or knitting clubs..during quiet hours when there are few folks in the area.  But otherwise, those folks using a dining area for their activities are simply being selfish and rude.  Some ships have limited lido space, and folks have trouble finding seats/tables during busy meal times.  Also keep in mind that folks do not own the tables.  If you are playing cards and there are empty seats I would be well within my rights to invite myself to one of the empty seats.  And if a glass of iced tea accidently got spilled on the table (and the cards or board game)....well....oops!

Hank

You have been busy this last 6 months going on cruises!  

5 hours ago, ldubs said:

You have been busy this last 6 months going on cruises!  

True.  Once cruises restarted, after the Covid shutdown, we were out the door.  In 2023 we managed to cruise 101 days, which actually pales by comparison to some folks we met on our recent Princess cruise.  Summing up those 2023 cruises (HAL, Seabourn, Explora Journeys, and Princess) we had a lot of bad weather (i.e. rain and rough seas) with the exception of the EJ1 cruise which was about as expected (weather wise).  2024 will find us doing a lot less cruising (about 70 days) but only on Premium and Luxury Lines.  I will admit to being envious of those that spend 200-300 days (a year) on cruises but that is not only very expensive but also plays havoc with one's schedule.  During on recent Westerdam cruise we met a surprisingly number of fellow cruisers who told us that they had sold-off their homes and spent the entire year cruising/traveling.  Perhaps that would be another fun topic to start here on CC.  "Folks who travel all year and have no home."

One lesson that became clear is that folks should never book a cruise with a major factor being an itinerary with calm seas.  Many of us warn those who ask, that one can never predict (when booking) what kind of sea conditions will happen on your cruise.  Two weeks in the Caribbean (Sky Princess) gave us one week of near-perfect weather and one week of really lousy weather (lots of rain, wind, 3-4 meter seas that truly rocked the ship).  Many folks book the Caribbean thinking the large ships will get you a calm ride.  Quite a few on the Sky Princess were queasy or worse, for at least 2 days of that 2nd week.  

Getting back to the Lido topic. although our Sky Princess cruise was packed to near-capacity, we never had a big problem finding seats in the Lido.  I think this is mostly due to the fact that the "Royal Class" ships have a very expansive Lido with lots of seating.  The cruise line that, over the years, has caused us the most problems with Lido seating has been HAL.  Our theory is that HAL does attract an older, well-traveled, clientele many of whom spend all their days inside the ship and the Lido.  On HAL it is common to see folks sitting in the Lido playing cards, knitting, reading, etc.  While there are other places around the ship with comfy seating, many seem to prefer being near coffee/tea.  On HAL this means staying in the Lido or heading to the Crows Nest.  On the Sky Princess, there are quite a few places with coffee drinks (Princess Live Bar, International Cafe, Catch by Rudi, or the Lido).

• Like 2