The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday June 28th, 2023

richwmn

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info for all the contributors.

National Insurance Awareness Day. One day late. Just got my yearly car insurance bill and went up 30% in one year! Told it was due to fraudulent claims in Florida mostly from last Hurricanes.

Also National Body Piercing Day. That day I will not celebrate. Can’t believe where some people put these metal things; and I am not talking about ears! 😳

• Like 22
  • Haha 3

Good morning, everyone!

It will be another smoky day here in mid-Michigan.  We had a trip to the zoo in Saginaw planned with my niece and her two littles, but with the air quality so poor, we don't want to have the kiddos outside all day.   We may substitute a trip to the Children's Museum in Mt. Pleasant.  

Today's meal sounds good to me!   And, I'll take the wine for today as well.  This easy chicken kebab recipe is glazed with a tantalizing blend of Asian chiles, ginger, and garlic. It’s easy to make and so delicious!  https://www.aspicyperspective.com/korean-chicken-skewers/

koreanchickenskewers1.thumb.jpg.9631a43a83ebece12d50074f26382dd5.jpg

Dakkochi is a popular grilled chicken on a stick. It’s often coated with thick, sticky, and addictive sauce. Some sauces are sweet and salty and some are sweet and spicy. In this recipe you will find both options, so you get to choose!  https://mykoreankitchen.com/chicken-skewers/

koreanchickenskewers2.thumb.jpg.49e080ed8b9cea465489511f83894e4e.jpg

Here is another variation:  https://amandacooksandstyles.com/korean-chicken-skewers/

koreanchickenskewers3.thumb.jpg.83145b790eb9b623a38f40ffafeb05fc.jpg

And this one looked just too good to pass up.  https://damndelicious.net/2018/08/19/korean-chicken-kabobs/

koreanchickenskewers4.thumb.jpg.926ec6587b208676b369379f488aa157.jpg

I hope everyone can find something in the above to interest them.  Remember, if you don't like heat, you can tone it down by not adding as much of the hot stuff.  Recipes can always be tweaked!  

Warm thoughts to @luvteaching Karen as she wakes up to her new reality.   Healing wishes go out to @smitty34877's Lou.  Glad to hear he is finally in his own room.  Thinking of all of the ailing Dailyites and spouses and wishing them healing and good health to come.  

Wishing everyone a good day.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 11

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  When I first got out of high school, I worked for an insurance company - that's where I became a pro at reading papers upside down, as the agents were so slow at giving me information.  Definitely not into body piercing - I have my ears pierced and that's quite enough, thank you.  We still get a daily newspaper (although some days it seems little more than a couple of flyer pages), and do look forward to some of the columnists.  

Not sure about Frank Lloyd Wright's quote, but  love his architecture - so much so that if we ever won the lottery, we said we'd build a house in his style.  We've been to Fallingwater in Mill Run, Pennsylvania  . . . such an amazing place.  I'd love to return some day just to go through it again, as we had a behind the scenes tour.

Well we have the house to ourselves again - our friend was finally discharged and they decided to head home.  What should have taken 4 straight hours of driving turned into more like 7 because our friend had to keep stopping for bathroom breaks along the way.  I'm sure their daughter was happy to drop them off and go back to her own home after that.  

Looking forward to today because we're finally getting a new front door and sidelights.  Our old one (which was new in 1972) no longer fit properly; we had a big frost buildup on the strike plate every winter, had to be sure to use a draft stopper at the bottom, and when it got very cold, we had to tug super hard on the door to close and lock it from the outside.  Really looking forward to the new one!

@luvteaching thinking of you this morning with love and prayers, knowing you've got major tasks ahead of you in the next few days.  Lean on your family and friends, as they will want to help in any way they can.

So many spouses and Dailyites with health issues, please know you're in my prayers for better days to come.

I like today's menu suggestion, especially when you can adjust the spice level.  I'm relieved of kitchen duty tonight because we have a bunch of leftovers that need to be eaten.  We'll have a smorgasbord of things to choose from that we'll be able to enjoy on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 30

Good morning Dailyites.

Morning prayers for Karen and family. @smitty34877 Glad DH got a room. Prayers lifted to all on our Daily list. 

We were in Cozumel in Dec/Jan on Rotterdam. Loved it.

I was certainly grateful when we had insurance on our 3 week Viking cruise. After Allen suffered heat stroke in Cuba we were sent by ambulance to hospital when we docked in Costa Rica. We were timely paid back every dime in medical expense. Now we keep our platinum insurance and blessed to have tricare and an umbrella coverage. 

image.png.4380fc5c322217274f1b8ce1f78b17c8.png

We have a restaurant we frequent who's manager wears a mohawk and face piercings. She is so friendly but gives me the Willie's. Especially the eyebrow piercings. (((Shiver)))

image.png.861d4ba95ecdb9f0fae536fc04022e55.png

image.png.c3fe986a53f0eeb9d7f918f05c918f88.png

Have a good day. Pray for a friend.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5

Sadly, this Columnists Day is the fifth anniversary of a mass murder at Annapolis MD's Capital Gazette.  Five columnists, Gerald Fischman, Rob Hiisasen, John McNamara, Rebecca Smith, and Wendi Wenders were gunned down.  RIP.

Roy

• Like 6
  • Thanks 21

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here! 

The painters are making good progress and finished the body of one side yesterday. We are very happy with our choice of color, and the painter.

What a coincidence for the port of the day as we just booked a 6-Day Rotterdam cruise that includes Cozumel before it heads to Europe for the 2024 season. I grabbed it the last few hours of HAL's 7-Day sale. Of course there is a new sale today! But we also caught our PCC on his last work day before leaving on vacation - for a cruise to Alaska! It will be my second time visiting Cozumel as it was the first cruise ship port I visited back in July 1997 with my then young family. The ex kept the photo albums for my daughters, but I at least kept a picture of the NCL Leeward. Amazingly I still have the NCL brochure which listed the price I paid for a Four-Day cruise that also included a stop in Key West. An Oceanview for four cost $1,355+ which is equivelent to $2,537+ in today's dollars! Probably considered a mid-size cruise ship back then it was only 492 ' long and carried 950 passengers. Smaller than even the Prinsendam. Amazingly it is still sailing for a Greek cruise company in Greece!

LeewardatCozumel.thumb.jpg.20c21cb9a648b07039bbe83f01836544.jpg

Stay Safe!

- Jack

• Like 29

Good morning and happy Hump Day!  Prayers for all on the Care list today and cheers for those celebrating. 

The meal looks good today.  We've been to Cozumel many times, staying on the island and once on a BHB post Covid in 2022.  Everything looked very different in the downtown area that day.  

We are going to 2 dance recitals tonite and tomorrow...dear grand daughters and dear daughter will be in one also.  One of her dance mom friends talked her into taking some classes, so they get to perform also.  Can't wait!  Have a great day, K

P2113399.JPG

• Like 28

Good Morning to All!!

Thank you for the information.  I am having issues with insurance (Medicare - Grrrr!!) and the trip to the SS office did not help!  Should learn more today but may need to go with plan B!!  Piercings - I have 6 - 3 in each ear.  First one I got using self-piercers when I was in high school.  The next one - my oldest said "Mommy, you go first" when I took her to get her ears pierced.  Boy did it hurt (done with the gun) and then she only got it done in one ear!!!!  LOL!!  Love the food and drinks mentioned and never been to Cozumel.

It is hot here.  I got up at 0530 and it was already close to 80.  Predicted to be around 106 today.  Yesterday drove up to Phoenix for a screening to see if I qualified for a research study (I love being a ginny pig).  Nope didn't qualify as I didn't have a fatty liver!!  (I knew I wouldn't qualify after I read the consent but they set up the appointment and I went!  🤭)  Good thing!!  But still got paid.  🙂 

Martina is being really clinging since I have been back.  That probably will last a couple of weeks.  Off to get my car serviced and wash all my clothes.

Thoughts to @luvteachingon the first day after losing her DH.  Thoughts to all on the care list and Happy cruising to those who are on a ship or getting ready to go.

Have a great Hump Day everyone!!

• Like 26

25 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here! 

The painters are making good progress and finished the body of one side yesterday. We are very happy with our choice of color, and the painter.

What a coincidence for the port of the day as we just booked a 6-Day Rotterdam cruise that includes Cozumel before it heads to Europe for the 2024 season. I grabbed it the last few hours of HAL's 7-Day sale. Of course there is a new sale today! But we also caught our PCC on his last work day before leaving on vacation - for a cruise to Alaska! It will be my second time visiting Cozumel as it was the first cruise ship port I visited back in July 1997 with my then young family. The ex kept the photo albums for my daughters, but I at least kept a picture of the NCL Leeward. Amazingly I still have the NCL brochure which listed the price I paid for a Four-Day cruise that also included a stop in Key West. An Oceanview for four cost $1,355+ which is equivelent to $2,537+ in today's dollars! Probably considered a mid-size cruise ship back then it was only 492 ' long and carried 950 passengers. Smaller than even the Prinsendam. Amazingly it is still sailing for a Greek cruise company in Greece!

LeewardatCozumel.thumb.jpg.20c21cb9a648b07039bbe83f01836544.jpg

Stay Safe!

- Jack

A ship we have in common.  I sailed her in 1998, chartered by a local travel agent for a unique itinerary.  The cruise was to Bermuda, from Alexandria VA.  It was strange timing as we had to leave very early in the afternoon to pass the Woodrow Wilson Bridge (I95 at Washington DC) before rush hour.  I'm sure there were still a lot of frustrated motorists as I expect the bridge opening.  Late afternoon we had minimal clearance under the Nice Bridge.  I don't think even Prinsendam could have made the trip because I don't think the river is terribly deep and Leeward has a 19-foot draft compared to Prinsendam's 24.

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

A ship we have in common.  I sailed her in 1998, chartered by a local travel agent for a unique itinerary.  The cruise was to Bermuda, from Alexandria VA.  It was strange timing as we had to leave very early in the afternoon to pass the Woodrow Wilson Bridge (I95 at Washington DC) before rush hour.  I'm sure there were still a lot of frustrated motorists as I expect the bridge opening.  Late afternoon we had minimal clearance under the Nice Bridge.  I don't think even Prinsendam could have made the trip because I don't think the river is terribly deep and Leeward has a 19-foot draft compared to Prinsendam's 24.

Roy

I liked sailing on it but unfortunately the Ex and older daughter got seasick so that ended cruising. My younger daughter and I had fun though! I had hoped to sail on the SS Norway (former SS France) next, but it was not meant to be. My "Latitude" number from 1997 still works. I checked a NCL sailing and just happen to put it in to see if it gave me a better offer. Deluged with emails and even a couple of phone calls after that!

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 21

Good morning to everyone. We are still in our hot and dry cycle and yesterday there was a small fire south of us on the Southern Ute reservation. Don't see smoke this morning so I am assuming they got it out. We are under a fire watch and red flag warning with winds expected this afternoon.

Today's comments on luxury reminds me of the comment my Mother heard years ago on a Baltimore bus. "It's getting so you can't afford all the luxuries you needs". It has become a catch phrase in this family when we complain about not having something.

Need to get to work on the kitchen. Today is my day to clear out and clean the frig and one of my cabinets - the one where everything works its way to the back. Lots of bending so it will be slow work as my back will not be happy.

Susan

• Like 23

We had a quick and smooth disembarking from the ship and our tour guide met us promptly. A Virtuoso member tour agency that we have used several times and provides unique tours.The first portion of our excursion was a boat ride for two hours on the Vecht River along beautiful and stately mansions. The tour consisted of our guide, our Captain and us. The boat a refurbished 128 year old tow boat was like riding on the African Queen. Besides the beautiful home we had the added benefit of hydrangeas at their peak flower. Simply a gorgeous experience. We then we’re dropped off for a lunch outdoors overlooking marina. I guess you could say the entire sailing was a marina as the banks were lined with various boats and houseboats.

After lunch we toured Slot ( Castle) Zuylen. The castle dates back to 1250 was destroyed once and later rebuilt and has had renovations over the years. It was lived in by a Baron and his family until 1952. One of the largest on River Vecht.

A fantastic finish to a great vacation.

It will be early to bed as we need to get up at 4:00 AM.

Thanks for the reports and post.

Bruce

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 8

Air quality here is not too bad, moderate orange. Hoping it clears out for everyone. 

Blessings to Karen @luvteaching and family. What a hard day, the beginning of a whole new chapter, and all the tasks. 💔 Prayers for strength and comfort. 

I did pool exercises yesterday and tweaked something wrong in the good hip side. Ugh. It was pretty bad last night but easier today. Has to be, I need to get groceries because DGD and her DH are coming tomorrow night for the weekend to help with projects. 🤞 Tonight our local church is having a presentation by the music department so supper will be early and easy sliced Turkey breast and salad. 

DH managed better yesterday on some extra Benadryl. Hoping that got on top of it and the itching eases up again. 

@rafinmd thanks for the explanation of Columnists Day. 🫡 to all journalists. 

First time to Cozumel we were on NCL Sun. It dropped off people on the mainland at Playa del Carmen for excursions before berthing on the island. We went to Tulum on a ship tour. Magnificent place to visit Mayan ruins on the sea with the turquoise waters. The tour brought us back to the ferry to get over to Cozumel. It was a great way to do it. 

Blessings to all the caregivers helping their husbands, and all those in need of healing, comfort or hope. 
Cheers to all celebrating, 🌈 Life is Good!  
Smooth travels to all away. 
m—

• Like 26

Good morning from a sunny and breezy central Texas, where it will be another hot day.  Since our humidity has been lower the last few days, walking in the mornings has not been too bad.  Our after dinner golf cart rides have been pleasant even with the temperatures still in the 90s.  We are trying to go out after 8 pm when the sun is almost down.  Last night, we could only see it briefly from the high point in one of our roads where no trees or houses blocked the view.  It was just a big, beautiful orange ball.

This morning I met another new neighbor when she stopped me to tell me she saw the scary incident that occurred on my walk yesterday.  Another neighbor started backing out of her driveway just as I was by the middle of it.  Fortunately, I saw her and could move out of the way in time before she backed into me.  I just stood there and watched her finish backing up and turning into the street.  She never looked to her left and never even knew I was there.  I started to knock on her car window, but decided I would scare her too much.  Now, I look at her driveway before I pass it, and if she's out, I'll move to the other side of the street or stop.  Somethings make you appreciate the dull moments in life.

We are aware of the need for insurance, and if we weren't there are enough ads on tv to remind us.  😁  The only piercings I have are my ears since I found clip on earrings caused too much pain, and I wear earrings almost every day.  Columnists who write op ed pieces give us a different perspective on the issues of the day.

I too disagree with today's quote, and agree if you have the luxuries, you also have the necessities for the most part.

The meal looks interesting, and I'll check out the recipes Debbie @dfish has found.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine.

Today in history ended a brutal war, but also set in motion the rise of Adolph Hitler and the *** Party.

We have been to Cozumel many times, both as trips to the island and on cruises, but not a BHB.  Our last time there was in 2002 on Rhapsody OTS with DH's brother and DSIL.  That day we did a snorkeling tour and never went into town.  These are the two pictures I posted on December 10, 2022.  They were taken from the catamaran of the shore line.

IMG_0732.thumb.JPG.1a50439c17ba357820c374a2180e7cc9.JPG

IMG_0733.thumb.JPG.1d7385ea64b6df8b9ddee8a117cfdf80.JPG

@grapau27  Graham, thank you for your pictures of Cozumel.  It has really changed since our first visit in 1987. 

@0106  Tina, we only started purchasing trip insurance in 2016, when we were going to be on a cruise for 122 days.  That was the only time we needed the insurance, and once I got all the paperwork in order, we were paid promptly without a hassle.  We still self insure for short cruises close to the US.

@GTVCRUISER  I will gladly celebrate National Alaska Day, and that wonderful state.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I hope BFF's MOHS procedure goes well and only requires the first cut.  Be careful when you are outside.

@kochleffel  Paul, I'm glad the kitties are eating, and I hope they feel more comfortable in their new home each day.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I hope you won't need to use the rescue inhaler again.  Thanks for more pictures of the lovely flowers.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm glad your DH was finally moved to a room yesterday afternoon, and that he was looking pretty good.  Get some rest and take care of yourself.  I know that's easier said than done.

@ger_77  Gerry, I'm glad your friends made it home safely, but I'm willing to bet they wished they'd waited until today to leave.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, I agree that some people's piercings are too much.  BTW, the two pictures sort of grossed me out.  🤣

@rafinmd  Roy, thank you for reminding us about the sad anniversary of the murder of the five columnists.

@Nickelpenny  Penny, that's good news that you didn't qualify for the study since you don't have a fatty liver.

@luvteaching  Karen, you and your family continue to be in our thoughts during this time.

348466018_2139124509812275_1035481179638565518_n.thumb.jpg.be0b0a00d28bb72c86fbbd9c8091d29f.jpg

355485982_6506568946072429_5796697458268052106_n.thumb.jpg.0b3447f0f91b3c182a764216c1314113.jpg

355632936_727238382739659_8565155182233508033_n.thumb.jpg.13b5e02ee5ad01289608ffea8e419acb.jpg

355670133_755385176590602_5094004558599867408_n.jpg.4d4a69d1776f7b1edfe1384edd37e2b3.jpg

355701178_644739524355725_1585252295838245274_n.thumb.jpg.449280df9e78e4bb10b15e662fbd7b13.jpg

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 11

I was just about to post when I was abruptly knocked off the internet.

Good afternoon as we leave beautiful Stockholm.

The Sail In this morning was absolutely stunning.  i got up at 5 am and watched the whole thing.  Jim slept through it.

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie and Ann for all you do to keep this thread going.

Special prayers for Karen @luvteaching as you handle all there is to do these next few days.  Know that we are with you in prayer and spirit.  Also prayers of thanksgiving that @smitty34877’s DH has a room and is recovering from surgery.  Hope all goes smoothly and he is home soon.

Prayers for all on the sick list and with troubles.

Cheers for those celebrating and cruising.

Will post some photos after I download them and if the internet allows me to do so.

Love to all and God Bless,

Terri

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Dailyites, and many thanks to all who post.  Those skewers look yummy!  My body piercings are only two - one in each ear; they almost closed up during Covid, I wore no jewelry at all for about a year I think, so it was a struggle to put earrings back in my ears, the ones with really thick posts I still have difficulty with.  I don't think we've been to Cozumel - is it on the Caribbean side?

Thinking a lot of @luvteaching today, I have her to thank, I believe, for putting me on the path to figuring out what was going on with Pat and getting him to the doctor.  We both had doctor's appointments yesterday, Pat's BP is going up a tiny bit, he has reduced his meds again, and the doctor quickly diagnosed me has having a trapezius muscle problem causing my "headache".  Never heard of a trapezius!  But I am being sent to a physiotherapist, and he could fit me in next week.  If it works, then the next time, I'll just head straight to the physio...  When I looked on line, there was a picture of the "headache" caused by it, just behind the right ear, and that is exactly where mine is.  So I'm "textbook"!

But Pat's infections are still a worry, and we are going to cancel our Fall cruise before final payment.  It's no use paying out a whole bunch of money and then only getting back a portion when we have to cancel last minute.  Better to get him well and then figure something out!  I had been looking forward to meeting @kochleffel!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone, 

Thank you so much for all the kind thoughts. DS Jeff, his SO Jodi, and I thank you all. Yesterday I didn't go anywhere - and that's the first time since May 5th that the car has stayed home! It didn't mean I was by myself though as people were in and out. Neighbors came down for tea in the morning (routine). Jeff picked up Phil's few belongings at the hospital and was here at 10:30. The hospital had given us a nice basket with a book, journal, some pamphlets (one a bullet pointed one on what to do over the next few weeks) and a floppy soft stuffed bear which DH had beside him the last two days. There were some phone calls and my almost 97 year-old mother let all of Canada know - that was her job! Later in the afternoon a good friend stopped in and she didn't leave until 7:00 so then I finally had a quiet house which I also needed.

I'm going into the funeral home today to make arrangements. DH is to be cremated and we'll have a Celebration of Life later in the summer. I'm thinking of doing a burial of some of his ashes off a ship next summer and not sure about the rest. Not a decision I need to make at the moment. He told me many times he wanted me to take him cruising and I may get a piece of jewelry or something made. We have the Westerdam paid for Sept. 3rd to Alaska and I'm thinking I'll go on that one - probably by myself. We moved two to next year so I have time to decide on those. 

Have a good day everyone! Oh - I have one piercing in each ear and that's it! 

Karen

• Like 15
  • Thanks 21

Good morning all!

I'm loving our weather this week, lots of sunshine and mild temps (low-mid 70's).  Perfect gardening weather.

I have a love/hate relationship with insurance.  On one hand we've had USAA for our home and car insurance for decades and are very happy with them, plus DH worked in the past as an adjuster for a major insurance company.  But travel insurance we've had less than stellar experience. Long story short, there's one company (highly recommended by cruisers online) that we will never do business with again because of their extremely poor customer service when filing claims. Terry @smitty34877said it right. "Be prepared to fight with them".  I will add "be sure you have a LOT of patience".  

I have one piercing in each ear and have no desire to have any anywhere else. 🤣 The wine sounds like the kind of Chardonnay I would like, the drink sounds good too.  And the meal -- I've printed off the first recipe, it sounds SO good and we'll be having that tonight.  Debbie @dfish I have to tell you, whenever I make one of your recipes (like the creamy lemon chicken piccata last night) DH many times will say "ooh, fancy food"!  LOL!!  I told him I'd let you know.  By the way, the creamy chicken lemon piccata was good, and he loved it, but I prefer the piccata without the cream.  It was nice for a change though.  

Rich @richwmn of course you know who I thought of when I saw that Cozumel is the port today.  Our dear mutual friend. 🙂  We have been there only once, in 2017 on the Koningsdam.  Too bad we were never there at the same time.  The day we were there we visited with our friends, had lunch with them, went to their home, and they took us to a beautiful beach.  So not any photos of Cozumel, but here's one from the beach.  I remember it was a hot, but windy day.

beachatCozumel.jpg.d555c845db0766a46ebf847353200db2.jpg

Karen @luvteaching Thank you for checking in.  Continued prayers for you and for your family and friends during this sad time.

Terry @smitty34877 I'm glad your DH looked good and that he finally got a room yesterday.

Gerry @ger_77 How exciting about your new door! I remember back when you said you'd be getting a new one.  

Jack @Heartgrove Good to hear that the painting is continuing well.  Please remember to post photos when it's completed.  

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Good morning and Happy Wednesday from sunny and hot Tucson where it’s 92F with 24% humidity and expected to reach 105F. Our poor new mint plant doesn’t look good after the beating it took yesterday with the wind and direct sun in the afternoon. I made a makeshift windbreak using our outdoor side tables but need to figure out something else or even move it until it’s a bit heartier. 

We have been to Cozumel 3 times, the last time was January 2015 on the Nieuw Amsterdam. It wasn’t our favorite cruise (we refer to this cruise as our ferry from hell cruise), we both prefer the Eastern Caribbean to the Western Caribbean, and secondly we will never go in January again due to the rougher seas. We did a great excursion to Rio Secreto outside of Playa del Carmen, very enjoyable BUT not fun to get to. Our PCC had recommended it to us and it sounded like fun. We both should have realized that the ferry was going to be rough when shore excursion staff started handing out Bonine. I had already taken one so at first declined but after repeated encouragement I decided to pocket a few “just in case”. I have never been so seasick!  It was horrible and the poor ferry staff had to walk around with barf bags and then dispose of used ones, yuck. Thank goodness I didn’t use one but almost the entire ferry was. Once we got to the mainland we were taken to vans for the ride to Rio Secreto, which was a rough dirt road. Once there we put on wetsuits over our swimsuits, put on swim shoes and were given walking sticks. Then we proceeded to the cave — WOW!  Amazing is all I can say. I am so glad that I purchased the CD of pictures taken by the staff because Craig actually lost his phone during the ferry ride. Those pictures are on the desktop and I’ll share in a separate post. BTW, the ride back on the ferry wasn’t as bad since we knew what to expect, and I focused on one object in front of me instead of watching the large screen TV monitor.  All said I would recommend this excursion but just be prepared in case you get seasick easily. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 25

Good morning again.  It was still not too bad out when we went to get the mail, and had a nice visit with a neighbor at the mailbox.  We also made a detour to check on the progress of a new house being built in our small community.    There are a couple of other new houses in the works, and a lot that has had16 large loads of dirt added to build it up for another new house.  It doesn't take much to entertain us.

2 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning to everyone. We are still in our hot and dry cycle and yesterday there was a small fire south of us on the Southern Ute reservation. Don't see smoke this morning so I am assuming they got it out. We are under a fire watch and red flag warning with winds expected this afternoon.

Today's comments on luxury reminds me of the comment my Mother heard years ago on a Baltimore bus. "It's getting so you can't afford all the luxuries you needs". It has become a catch phrase in this family when we complain about not having something.

Need to get to work on the kitchen. Today is my day to clear out and clean the frig and one of my cabinets - the one where everything works its way to the back. Lots of bending so it will be slow work as my back will not be happy.

Susan

Susan, I hope there are no more fires in your area.  I can sympathize with you on cleaning the frig after tackling ours yesterday.  I don't mind our bottom freezer except when having to take everything out and then put it all back in.

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

We had a quick and smooth disembarking from the ship and our tour guide met us promptly. A Virtuoso member tour agency that we have used several times and provides unique tours.The first portion of our excursion was a boat ride for two hours on the Vecht River along beautiful and stately mansions. The tour consisted of our guide, our Captain and us. The boat a refurbished 128 year old tow boat was like riding on the African Queen. Besides the beautiful home we had the added benefit of hydrangeas at their peak flower. Simply a gorgeous experience. We then we’re dropped off for a lunch outdoors overlooking marina. I guess you could say the entire sailing was a marina as the banks were lined with various boats and houseboats.

After lunch we toured Slot ( Castle) Zuylen. The castle dates back to 1250 was destroyed once and later rebuilt and has had renovations over the years. It was lived in by a Baron and his family until 1952. One of the largest on River Vecht.

A fantastic finish to a great vacation.

It will be early to bed as we need to get up at 4:00 AM.

Thanks for the reports and post.

Bruce

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Bruce, thanks for more lovely pictures from your day in The Netherlands.  Safe and on time flights tomorrow.

1 hour ago, RMLincoln said:

Air quality here is not too bad, moderate orange. Hoping it clears out for everyone. 

Blessings to Karen @luvteaching and family. What a hard day, the beginning of a whole new chapter, and all the tasks. 💔 Prayers for strength and comfort. 

I did pool exercises yesterday and tweaked something wrong in the good hip side. Ugh. It was pretty bad last night but easier today. Has to be, I need to get groceries because DGD and her DH are coming tomorrow night for the weekend to help with projects. 🤞 Tonight our local church is having a presentation by the music department so supper will be early and easy sliced Turkey breast and salad. 

DH managed better yesterday on some extra Benadryl. Hoping that got on top of it and the itching eases up again. 

@rafinmd thanks for the explanation of Columnists Day. 🫡 to all journalists. 

First time to Cozumel we were on NCL Sun. It dropped off people on the mainland at Playa del Carmen for excursions before berthing on the island. We went to Tulum on a ship tour. Magnificent place to visit Mayan ruins on the sea with the turquoise waters. The tour brought us back to the ferry to get over to Cozumel. It was a great way to do it. 

Blessings to all the caregivers helping their husbands, and all those in need of healing, comfort or hope. 
Cheers to all celebrating, 🌈 Life is Good!  
Smooth travels to all away. 
m—

Maureen, I hope the hip continues to improve.  I'm glad the Benadryl seems to be helping your DH.  Enjoy your weekend visit with your DGD and her DH.  It is nice they want to help you declutter.

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

The Sail In this morning was absolutely stunning.  i got up at 5 am and watched the whole thing.  Jim slept through it.

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie and Ann for all you do to keep this thread going.

Special prayers for Karen @luvteaching as you handle all there is to do these next few days.  Know that we are with you in prayer and spirit.  Also prayers of thanksgiving that @smitty34877’s DH has a room and is recovering from surgery.  Hope all goes smoothly and he is home soon.

Will post some photos after I download them and if the internet allows me to do so.

Terri

Terri, Stockholm is a lovely city that we've enjoyed visiting twice.  BTW, we wanted an old episode of Mighty Cruise Ships last night about the Oceana Marina.  What we saw of the public areas was beautiful.

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites, and many thanks to all who post.  Those skewers look yummy!  My body piercings are only two - one in each ear; they almost closed up during Covid, I wore no jewelry at all for about a year I think, so it was a struggle to put earrings back in my ears, the ones with really thick posts I still have difficulty with.  I don't think we've been to Cozumel - is it on the Caribbean side?

Thinking a lot of @luvteaching today, I have her to thank, I believe, for putting me on the path to figuring out what was going on with Pat and getting him to the doctor.  We both had doctor's appointments yesterday, Pat's BP is going up a tiny bit, he has reduced his meds again, and the doctor quickly diagnosed me has having a trapezius muscle problem causing my "headache".  Never heard of a trapezius!  But I am being sent to a physiotherapist, and he could fit me in next week.  If it works, then the next time, I'll just head straight to the physio...  When I looked on line, there was a picture of the "headache" caused by it, just behind the right ear, and that is exactly where mine is.  So I'm "textbook"!

But Pat's infections are still a worry, and we are going to cancel our Fall cruise before final payment.  It's no use paying out a whole bunch of money and then only getting back a portion when we have to cancel last minute.  Better to get him well and then figure something out!  I had been looking forward to meeting @kochleffel!

Ann, I'm glad the doctor found the cause of the headache and that a visit to the physical therapist is in order.  I hope Pat's infections are cleared up soon.  While it is always sad to cancel a cruise, it's better to do it before final payment.   

1 hour ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning everyone, 

Thank you so much for all the kind thoughts. DS Jeff, his SO Jodi, and I thank you all. Yesterday I didn't go anywhere - and that's the first time since May 5th that the car has stayed home! It didn't mean I was by myself though as people were in and out. Neighbors came down for tea in the morning (routine). Jeff picked up Phil's few belongings at the hospital and was here at 10:30. The hospital had given us a nice basket with a book, journal, some pamphlets (one a bullet pointed one on what to do over the next few weeks) and a floppy soft stuffed bear which DH had beside him the last two days. There were some phone calls and my almost 97 year-old mother let all of Canada know - that was her job! Later in the afternoon a good friend stopped in and she didn't leave until 7:00 so then I finally had a quiet house which I also needed.

I'm going into the funeral home today to make arrangements. DH is to be cremated and we'll have a Celebration of Life later in the summer. I'm thinking of doing a burial of some of his ashes off a ship next summer and not sure about the rest. Not a decision I need to make at the moment. He told me many times he wanted me to take him cruising and I may get a piece of jewelry or something made. We have the Westerdam paid for Sept. 3rd to Alaska and I'm thinking I'll go on that one - probably by myself. We moved two to next year so I have time to decide on those. 

Have a good day everyone! Oh - I have one piercing in each ear and that's it! 

Karen

Karen, I'm glad you have the support not only of Jeff and his SO, but of friends.  Not only did letting your DM make the calls to the family in Canada relieve you of some of the burden, but It helped her feel useful and being able to support you.  ((((HUGS))))

6 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

I'm loving our weather this week, lots of sunshine and mild temps (low-mid 70's).  Perfect gardening weather.

I have a love/hate relationship with insurance.  On one hand we've had USAA for our home and car insurance for decades and are very happy with them, plus DH worked in the past as an adjuster for a major insurance company.  But travel insurance we've had less than stellar experience. Long story short, there's one company (highly recommended by cruisers online) that we will never do business with again because of their extremely poor customer service when filing claims. Terry @smitty34877said it right. "Be prepared to fight with them".  I will add "be sure you have a LOT of patience".  

I have one piercing in each ear and have no desire to have any anywhere else. 🤣 The wine sounds like the kind of Chardonnay I would like, the drink sounds good too.  And the meal -- I've printed off the first recipe, it sounds SO good and we'll be having that tonight.  Debbie @dfish I have to tell you, whenever I make one of your recipes (like the creamy lemon chicken piccata last night) DH many times will say "ooh, fancy food"!  LOL!!  I told him I'd let you know.  By the way, the creamy chicken lemon piccata was good, and he loved it, but I prefer the piccata without the cream.  It was nice for a change though.  

Rich @richwmn of course you know who I thought of when I saw that Cozumel is the port today.  Our dear mutual friend. 🙂  We have been there only once, in 2017 on the Koningsdam.  Too bad we were never there at the same time.  The day we were there we visited with our friends, had lunch with them, went to their home, and they took us to a beautiful beach.  So not any photos of Cozumel, but here's one from the beach.  I remember it was a hot, but windy day.

beachatCozumel.jpg.d555c845db0766a46ebf847353200db2.jpg

Karen @luvteaching Thank you for checking in.  Continued prayers for you and for your family and friends during this sad time.

Terry @smitty34877 I'm glad your DH looked good and that he finally got a room yesterday.

Gerry @ger_77 How exciting about your new door! I remember back when you said you'd be getting a new one.  

Jack @Heartgrove Good to hear that the painting is continuing well.  Please remember to post photos when it's completed.  

Carolyn, I can understand the love-hate relationship with insurance.  So far we have been lucky and not had too many issues.  I learned early on to document everything and make sure the insurance company has copies of all documents when filing a claim.  I think once they paid quickly because I over whelmed them with paperwork.

4 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  When I first got out of high school, I worked for an insurance company - that's where I became a pro at reading papers upside down, as the agents were so slow at giving me information.  Definitely not into body piercing - I have my ears pierced and that's quite enough, thank you.  We still get a daily newspaper (although some days it seems little more than a couple of flyer pages), and do look forward to some of the columnists.  

Not sure about Frank Lloyd Wright's quote, but  love his architecture - so much so that if we ever won the lottery, we said we'd build a house in his style.  We've been to Fallingwater in Mill Run, Pennsylvania  . . . such an amazing place.  I'd love to return some day just to go through it again, as we had a behind the scenes tour.

Well we have the house to ourselves again - our friend was finally discharged and they decided to head home.  What should have taken 4 straight hours of driving turned into more like 7 because our friend had to keep stopping for bathroom breaks along the way.  I'm sure their daughter was happy to drop them off and go back to her own home after that.  

Looking forward to today because we're finally getting a new front door and sidelights.  Our old one (which was new in 1972) no longer fit properly; we had a big frost buildup on the strike plate every winter, had to be sure to use a draft stopper at the bottom, and when it got very cold, we had to tug super hard on the door to close and lock it from the outside.  Really looking forward to the new one!

@luvteaching thinking of you this morning with love and prayers, knowing you've got major tasks ahead of you in the next few days.  Lean on your family and friends, as they will want to help in any way they can.

So many spouses and Dailyites with health issues, please know you're in my prayers for better days to come.

I like today's menu suggestion, especially when you can adjust the spice level.  I'm relieved of kitchen duty tonight because we have a bunch of leftovers that need to be eaten.  We'll have a smorgasbord of things to choose from that we'll be able to enjoy on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Gerry, I forgot to mention that I'm happy your new front door and side lights are arriving today.

Lenda

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Carolyn, I can understand the love-hate relationship with insurance.  So far we have been lucky and not had too many issues.  I learned early on to document everything and make sure the insurance company has copies of all documents when filing a claim.  I think once they paid quickly because I over whelmed them with paperwork.

I think what frustrated us the most (besides getting a different answer each time DH called) was the fact that we had to send everything over and over.  Miraculously, weeks later, they always said they didn't get it so we'd send it again...and again. One person would say no problem, $$ is on the way, another would say we had no case!   A total mess but we finally were reimbursed.  DH is stubborn enough he wasn't going to give up, and it was a large claim. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Cruising/At Sea:

1 day for Oceansaway17 (Liberty of the Seas June 29 to July 8)

7 days for Loveandpeas (Volendam July 5 to July 12), celebrating 16th honeymoon anniversary

aliaschief (Azamara Journey to June 28), Cruzin Terri (Oceania Marina to July 23)

Thank you.

Hoping the open sea air will clear my sinus up from pollen, smoke from Canada etc etc.

Kinda of neat to be on a ship called Liberty for the 4th of July.

toodles

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Terri

The archipelago of Stockholm is amazing.

We sailed into Stockholm on 

RCL Serenade of the seas in May 2015.

We sailed from and to Copenhagen visiting Tallinn,St Petersburg and Helsinki as well as Stockholm.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1