Steamers?

At the risk of being “flamed” wondering if RCL is stricter than NCL in regards to small steamers?  I took mine on 5 cruises with NCL and never had a problem.  We dress up formal the 2 formal nights and dressy casual the other days and hate to be wrinkled!  I’m scared of irons (ships) because of the unknown quality but don’t relish my little steamer getting confiscated!  Before you judge I’m VERY dutiful and NEVER leave it unattended and cool, and put away before leaving the cabin.  Just opinions as I know it’s up to the X-ray scanner or whatever they use.  For anyone who cruises NCL and RCL.  

• Haha 2

Discussing if you can bring a banned steamer onboard .. might as well start can we smuggle booze. Same thing, can we get by with smuggling banned items. 

I've done ncl and rcl but dont smuggle, so dont know if you would be luckier on rcl. I would imagine it has to do with the port more than the line. Port workers dont work for the line specifically that will be doing the screening.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, sargemrs said:

At the risk of being “flamed” wondering if RCL is stricter than NCL in regards to small steamers?  I took mine on 5 cruises with NCL and never had a problem.  We dress up formal the 2 formal nights and dressy casual the other days and hate to be wrinkled!  I’m scared of irons (ships) because of the unknown quality but don’t relish my little steamer getting confiscated!  Before you judge I’m VERY dutiful and NEVER leave it unattended and cool, and put away before leaving the cabin.  Just opinions as I know it’s up to the X-ray scanner or whatever they use.  For anyone who cruises NCL and RCL.  

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

Me too. Why should you be any less wrinkled than the rest of us. Oh your clothes. The ships have a laundry service. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Why do people think that most of us worry about how wrinkled your pants or clothes are each night?? We are all on the same boat and are in the same situation. The rules are in place for a reason and trust me, you don't want to be the person to start a fire because you think the rules don't apply to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, sargemrs said:

At the risk of being “flamed” wondering if RCL is stricter than NCL in regards to small steamers?  

My good friend packed her steamer, one that did not look like an iron, on a Harmony of the Seas sailing. Her luggage was sent to the naughty room. What a pain. We waited in line for 30 minutes and when they opened her bag they of course found it. Had to fill out paperwork and they tagged it and  put it on a table full of steamers and irons, liqour bottles. At the end of the cruise in the terminal she did not pick it up because she wanted to get on her way. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Try Downey Wrinkle Release and hang in bathroom with shower running as hot as you can get it. And sit in there with steam and get a free sauna too. 😉

DWR and good packing habits are your friends.  I do the steaming shower hack when staying at hotels on business trips where nice unwrinkled suits are a must.  But never needed to do that on a cruise ship, especially with "formal nights" gone by the wayside.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sargemrs said:

At the risk of being “flamed” wondering if RCL is stricter than NCL in regards to small steamers?  

No steamers.
I pack our dressy/wrinkle-prone clothes on light hangers and place each in plastic from the dry cleaners.  Stack and trifold the lot onto one side of the open suitcase and zip the suitcase closed.  Minimal wrinkling.  I’ve been doing this for decades.  

teddie 

• Like 1

I do what a previous poster indicated.  I just leave them in the plastic I get them back in from the cleaners. At home, I typically have my collared shirts laundered so they are generally ready to go and I'll always have my suit freshly dry cleaned before a cruise.  Leaving them in the plastic makes a big difference in how they look coming out of the suitcase.

However, if need be and your clothes are clean the pressing only isn't that expensive and you don't have to mess with sprays or sneaking steamers onto the ship.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/laundry-service-price-list.pdf

• Like 4

Many many years ago I actually purchased a small travel iron onboard RCI. 

I brought it onboard until they went on the forbidden list....safety first had finally caught up to the cruise line.

• Like 1

Since I’m philosophically opposed to ironing, I’ve learned that there are many fabrics that absolutely will not wrinkle. I just returned from a conference that required business attire, resort wear and a formal. With careful packaging (I’m a roller), nothing wrinkled. I was staying in a hotel that provided an iron and ironing board but never would have thought about using them. One new cotton shirt had creases but I just dampened it and hit it with the hairdryer. Creases gone. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, gerif said:

I’ve learned that there are many fabrics that absolutely will not wrinkle.

All the clothes I travel with are like that. I wear Prana pants and shorts with their Zion fabric that does not wrinkle and my shirts are 60/40 blends. Eddie Baur is a good source for wrinkle resistant shirts. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sargemrs said:

If you don't want to use the ship's laundry services, (I have used them several times for pressing when sailing in a suite) Your best bet is to bring some Downy Wrinkle Releaser (Trial Size). Spray the clothes, and hang them in the bathroom with steam. Use a hair straightener for touch-ups... 

• Like 2

I’ve found two other couples that did this same thing when we first started cruising. 

Very first cruise, We plugged our travel iron into an old school ship with DC power.
Just call it a melted iron, but we didn’t burn down the ship. 

pay to have your clothes ironed, if you need the wrinkles out. (Wrinkle release and shower steamer does the job for us)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LilBlackDress said:

If you don't want to use the ship's laundry services, (I have used them several times for pressing when sailing in a suite) Your best bet is to bring some Downy Wrinkle Releaser (Trial Size). Spray the clothes, and hang them in the bathroom with steam. Use a hair straightener for touch-ups... 

Have never tried the Downy Wrinkle Releaser but guess I'm fixing to try it!!  My clothes are not the issue, but DH suit (for formal nights) and the occasional shirt might need a little help but I guess we need to not be so  OCD!!  So is there an iron for loan or use in a laundry room?  Do I understand that or will they let you use one and bring it back or what?  (that's if the previous suggestions don't work!)

12 minutes ago, sargemrs said:

Have never tried the Downy Wrinkle Releaser but guess I'm fixing to try it!!  My clothes are not the issue, but DH suit (for formal nights) and the occasional shirt might need a little help but I guess we need to not be so  OCD!!  So is there an iron for loan or use in a laundry room?  Do I understand that or will they let you use one and bring it back or what?  (that's if the previous suggestions don't work!)

No self service. No irons for guests.  Embrace the wrinkles. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sargemrs said:

No laundry rooms on any Royal ship.  Only way is to send out for them to press.

As others have said Downy Wrinkle Release and then don't worry about it.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, sargemrs said:

If you pack inside dry cleaner bags you should have no problem with wrinkles at all. When my husband was alive I packed a suit and a sports jacket for every cruise. Never had a wrinkle. As others have mentioned, no laundry room and no access to irons. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, akcruz said:

No laundry rooms on any Royal ship.  Only way is to send out for them to press.

As others have said Downy Wrinkle Release and then don't worry about it.

Serenade is adding a self service laundry for the world cruise. I hope they leave it afterward.

I for one would like if RCI started adding laundry facilities. I was very impressed with those on PCL but that was the only thing I was with.

4 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Serenade is adding a self service laundry for the world cruise. I hope they leave it afterward.

I for one would like if RCI started adding laundry facilities. I was very impressed with those on PCL but that was the only thing I was with.

Not likely. They will probably lock the room or remove it unless they have another world cruise. As for Princess if I am doing a cruise longer than 7 days I give them priority when considering long cruises because of the self service laundry. 

8 hours ago, sargemrs said:

Yup. Pretty strict. 

Wonder of the Seas

image.thumb.png.2154464447f5a7bc894ab45ee266bb72.png

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Yup. Pretty strict. 

Wonder of the Seas

image.thumb.png.2154464447f5a7bc894ab45ee266bb72.png

Yes, I saw that picture and didn't want my steamer like that and the inconvenience, etc. of having to retrieve it......well.....I guess we'll not be so fastidious!!!

• Like 1