The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday July 19th, 2023

richwmn

Good morning again.  It was really pleasant when I took my walk shortly after 6:30, and it was still nice when I went to the store.  I was there by 7:30 and was almost too late.  They only had three left of what I went to get.  The ecoupon was for five, and I knew if I used it for three, it probably would not work for two more later.  I wound up getting two more slightly different items covered by the coupon.  

Just as I was working on this post, DH said it was time to take the car into the shop.  I quickly shut the computer down, and off we went.  On the way home, we were just in time for a drive thru breakfast before they stopped serving breakfast.  I think we are in for the day, as it is at least 96F according to the computer, and it's not even 11:45 am.  I was pleasantly surprised to see the post was still here.

5 hours ago, Denise T said:

Good morning, everyone. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports.

Hot and humid today. I will be working from home today. 

I hope to be meeting the dog I would like to adopt on Saturday. If everything goes well, we will have a new family member I will make sure that I post pictures. 

Thinking of everyone on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

happy wednesday - Imgflip

Denise, I hope the meeting with the dog goes well on Saturday.

3 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone! 

It is a beautiful start to the day here in mid-Michigan.  We have the drain company coming at 10 and Sue is mowing the grass today.  I'm installing a new thermostat to replace the one that isn't working.  We have zone heating in this house so each zone has its own thermostat.  The one for the middle level is the one that isn't functioning.   We also have pedicures today in preparation for our cruise.  

Today's meal sounds delicious to me!  I love gyros and especially the tzatziki sauce.  I think it is the garlic that I like. This first recipe advocates making your own pita bread.  If  you are so inclined, here is the recipe.  https://www.aheadofthyme.com/quick-and-easy-pita-bread/

pitabread.thumb.jpg.4c6467875507e3e64e32fbd19d983e8e.jpg

And now for what to put in them!  https://www.aheadofthyme.com/easy-greek-chicken-gyros-with-tzatziki/

chickengyros1.thumb.jpg.5a2defe0c6e4d7a5743a1651576ae243.jpg

This next recipe says there are 47 g of carbohydrates in the meal.  That is high for me, so I would probably just leave off the pita bread and eat it like a salad.  You still get the important tasty part of the meal.   https://www.recipetineats.com/greek-chicken-gyros-with-tzatziki/

chickengyros2.thumb.jpg.e0669039ce7cb8256c32249bb027ed85.jpg

Oh, that looks so good!  This last recipe is slightly different.  Actually, the differences between them is very small.  But worth looking at.  https://somuchfoodblog.com/greek-chicken-gyros/

chickengyros3.thumb.jpg.eb004dfe626ac99c6c43b30089b1aaf4.jpg

I am pleased to announce that Tina @0106 will start posting the MOD on Friday and will do so while I'm gone.  This is a major contribution because I will be gone so long.  Thank  you to Tina!

I'm hoping this finds you all well.  Wishing you all a wonderful day.

Debbie, I hope this time the drain people can solve the problem so this won't happen again.

3 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Good Wednesday Morning Dailyites!  Our weather person seems to be continuously wrong, so I will be doing the weather for today.  It's hot, and hazy.  If you are lucky you might get rain, it might clear out the smoke, or at least make the grass wet.  Or if you like the heat, and haze, then I'll give it a 10.  It's summer.  I do think that while I see on the TV how to plan your summer vacation, that it's too late if you live in the south.  Our county school system starts in two weeks. And they are short 150 bus drivers.  Someone said on the news last week, that they will try to make this work but apparently they are not hiring to fill those empty spots.

I love the quote, it's probably from Fahrenheit 451.  I love gyros, so can't wait to see how to make one.

As of last night at 11, Chuck had not been able to get an earlier flight.  He said he would try this morning, and then give me a call.  There is still hope.

My mother (and trust me, we were drinking buddies, but never friends)always got nervous when I was around, and so when I would go visit, I would stay in a hotel somewhere near them, but not with her.  It got to the point where she just said don't come back.  And I didn't, until she passed away.  My dad, and I got along quite well, once I was an adult , and he was always glad to see me, and have me stay with him.  We never know what secrets our parents have to hide.

New friends day, well, when I found the daily I found a whole lot of friends!  I met a woman on a cruise years ago who said that making a new friend when you are older is harder.  The older we get, the busier our lives get, and it's hard to find the time to nurture a new friendship.  Make sure we cherish every new friend that we make. 

I would love to try a raspberry cake!  While DH has been out of town, I watched a Professional British baking contest,, raspberries showed up a lot with cake.

Well I guess it may screw up my back, but I need to vacuum, so that when DH comes home he wont think I have been a lazy bum.  Have a great day!

f779e454b647090b8019327ac4874371--kliban-cat-feeding-birds.jpg

Annie, I hope Chuck has better luck today getting an earlier flight.  While doing the exercises from now on doesn't sound like fun, it can make a big difference.  After my father had back problems when he was about 35, he did exercises everyday and never had any more back problems.  Hope that is the case with you.

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  We enjoy making new friends and almost do so on every cruise - it's funny when you start talking with people and you just click with them.  While I haven't made a raspberry cake, I have done raspberry muffins using a cake mix, so I'm halfway there.  Haven't played Words With Friends, there's always something else to take up my time.

We've had rain!  Glorious, wonderful rain!  The skies clouded in around 10AM and by noon the sprinkles started; we weren't sure if they would continue, but the skies got even darker and the rain continued to come down throughout the afternoon, evening, and it was still raining gently as we went to bed.  This morning there are puddles on the street, the smell of smoke is gone, and it looks like the grass has grown 2 inches overnight.  My only hope is that the farmers and firefighters who really needed it got rained on as well.

Not a lot on the agenda today, just heading across town to DH's son's house to check on his plants while he's away for a couple of weeks.  Will likely stop and pick up some groceries and have lunch out.  I know we'd both love today's menu suggestion, so while we're getting groceries, I think I'll pick up what's needed (including the pita breads) so we can enjoy chicken gyros on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Gerry, your rain yesterday sounds wonderful.  We're past our rainy season, and we really need rain.

3 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

Good Morning to All!  I have made some very nice friends since I started cruising last year and it is wonderful when I get to see them again on subsequent sailings.  I am inherently an introvert/loner and enjoy my own company so meeting new friends is hard.  But it gets me out of my comfort zone.  Anything raspberry is wonderful.  Not sure I would play Words with Friends.

I love gyros and have actually make my own pita bread and frequently make Tzatziki.  I have heard of Sloe Gin Fizz but never had it; wine sounds good but it looks to expensive to me.  I am going to Devil's Island on my Amazon cruise next Feb so the pictures have been so inspiring!  Thanks.  (Oh, and I already have my YF vaccine; found the little booklet from China where I got it!!)

What can you say about the summer weather when living in AZ - sunny and hot with a chance of thunderstorms.  It didn't repeat the deluge we got Monday night unfortunately but we all are crossing our fingers!  There was some damage to homes and downed trees and power lines.  It was really a doozy!

Not much on the agenda for today.  I impulsively got my hair cut yesterday from a salon that is a 5 minute walk from me.  I am not a hair aficionado but I do not like my curls.  So I asked for my usual from the new hairstylist (something like Jamie Lee Curtis) and she really cut it short.  Thats okay with me as I have been toying around with just shaving my head!!  It doesn't look like the other times I have had it done but I am okay with that.  Hair will grow out and this is super easy to take care of - really don't have to do anything!  I will go back to her; they are closer and 50% cheaper than my previous person!!

Thoughts to those on the care list and cheers to those celebrating.

Have a great Hump Day everyone!!

Penny, I'm glad the new stylist and salon worked out, and was less expensive.  I found out yesterday, my stylist will be changing salons next month.  I've been considering changing to another stylist where I go now, but was not sure how that would work.  This may be the answer if I don't follow her to the new salon.

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites. 

Finishing up my chores this morning. A nice breeze outside, but warm.

I took Oliver out several times during the night and the weather was wonderful. So far Oliver has been a good boy. He had an oops while I was making his breakfast. I should have kept him out a bit longer. He is ok with his collar, but no way wanted the leash! I just held him for a bit with it on. Tomorrow is another day.

Prayers lifted to all on our care list. Celebrations tonight!

It is so miserably dry here in Central Texas. We just got off a no watering warning onto a 1 day a week schedule. Our yards look so sad and brown. I'm praying daily for rain. I'm happy Gerry got some, and Roy. Please send some to Texas!

Allen has an eye appt today, so will see how Oliver does in his playpen.

Wishing everyone a blessed day. Remember you are loved.

Joy, Ollie looks like he's settled in nicely and has a lot of toys too.  And those big eyes!  How much more will he grow?

4 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning. Daughter and family will be arriving early afternoon. Frustrating evening last night as I saw a clothing item on-line that appealed to me and when I purchased it I soon had multiple transactions. So called bank, my card has been cancelled and new card will arrive Friday. First time this has happened in a long time. Fortunately, I caught it in time.🤬

The ribs have been absorbing my homemade dry rub since ten AM yesterday and we will start the cooking process early afternoon. Baby Back ribs so shorter cooking time. Granddaughter has already requested corn on the cob as a side dish. So bring on Lana Jane and Artemis Jade for special times.❤️❤️

Thanks for the Fleet Report and special feature post. Good hearing from all of you every day. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.138a394796ed7d5ad4f683ddeb23b97c.jpegimage.jpeg.836d5cf625afaccd2eee9da421443f20.jpegimage.jpeg.7e639fb490386ef887277bd18c44e02a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.cfc8b6023a4e49d285a8de9c88e3d60f.jpegimage.jpeg.1df60d70345f35b3064486640dd7a5d7.jpegimage.jpeg.1bca7baad69c1adebddda1604be23e82.jpegimage.jpeg.88f41ff5fdc6fd8d4794f7b7fbb00133.jpegimage.jpeg.b4dabfb189ce6c55480c6c74d5e12d05.jpeg

Bruce, I'm glad you caught the error with the credit card quickly and it has been resolved.  Enjoy your visit with DD and the DGDs.

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

New friends are nice, and I've made many here on the Daily. I've never had raspberry cake and never have played Words with Friends. True quote. The meal sounds good, pass on the drink, and yes to the wine. The launch of the SS Great Britain is to be saluted. I haven't been to Devils Island.

It's cloudy here today, going up to 85F and humid. I slept fitfully last night for some reason. I thought about mowing the lawn, but I took Benadryl earlier in preparation for my shot, so I'll be drowsy soon. I'll see how I feel later, if its' not too hot. I also turned down a lunch with BFF and another friend, as I don't like to drive soon after taking the Benadryl, and don't want them to come here to pick me up. I'd hoped that after a year on these shots that the injection site reaction of hives would go away. I do take less antihistamines than I used to. If no mowing today, then tomorrow, or else the weekend, as we're to have storms tomorrow afternoon, with 50 mph winds.

@Lady Hudson Happy Anniversary! 

@grapau27 Thanks for the explanations of today's days.

@rafinmd I'm glad your appointments went well.

@StLouisCruisers Excellent photos. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Nice pictures.

@kazu Your flowers are lovely.

@aliaschief Oh no on the credit card issue; glad you caught it quickly. And enjoy the family coming today. The ribs sounds yummy!

@0106 Thanks for stepping in while Debbie enjoys her cruise.

@marshhawk I hope Chuck can get home earlier, since he has an appointment tomorrow morning.

@Seasick Sailor It sounds like Oliver is a nice addition to the family. Cute photo of him!

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to the Celebration List.

Vanessa, I'm sorry you are still having to take antihistamines for your shots, but I'm glad the amount has decreased.

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. It is grey and humid(85%!) with storms coming.It will get up to 85 or so with the smell of wood smoke in the air.

I play words with friends with my SIL most days.We have done this for quite a few years.

My DB turned 75 today.He told me when I spoke with him earlier that they have sold their home in New Mexico and will be in their Connecticut  home by August 31.It will be so nice to have them only an hour and a half from us.He finally retired  for the second time  about a month ago.

I got the ingredients  to make the Greek chicken and just have to make something  vegetarian  for two of our six.Thank you Debbie for all of your efforts.

@Seasick Sailor, Joy. that little pup is so very cute.Enjoy him!

Thanks to all for the Daily.

Terry, I hope the coming rains don't cause more flooding.  Please wish you DB a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY for us.  I hope his move to Connecticut goes smoothly.

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good evening from the Baltic.  

We had a lovely day in Riga, Latvia.  i really like this city.  We took a HOHO Bus for a 90 minute around this beautiful city.

Tonight we are going to enjoy a Baltic Buffet in the Terrace Cafe.  There are lots of interesting choices.  The Chef went shopping today just for this.  We’ll see!

Thank you to Rich for the Daily and Fleet Report.  

Prayers for all on the Cares list and Cheers to those celebrating Birthdays and Anniversaries.

Hope everyone is doing okay with the heat wave.  We are escaping that here.  We will be going home to that next week.

Hope everyone is having a good day,.

God Bless,

Terri

Terri, I'm happy you enjoyed your day in Riga and the Ho-Ho bus.  I'm still looking for cruises that stop there.

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Today and tomorrow are heating up from the 70's to the 80's then will cool off again on Friday.  Fine with me!  On Friday we'll be going to the zoo with the youngest grandson, then after picking up the other DGS from camp we'll be with them late into the evening while DD and DSIL have a night 

Interesting days -- instead of raspberry cake, I would choose chocolate cake with raspberry filling -- yum.  I'd like the drink but pass on the red wine.  And yay on the meal, one of our favorites.  I printed off the 2nd recipe and would just add some feta.  Hope to make it soon!  Have never been to the port, thanks for the excellent photos Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser and Sandi @StLouisCruisers.

Today I need to get my hair cut (seems a lot of us are doing that this week!)  

Last week I had a scare at the ATM machine, one I've used many times.  When I inserted my card it kept saying "cannot read card" but it wouldn't go in further and wouldn't come out.  I could see it, but no amount of pulling on it worked.  Hitting "cancel" didn't help either.  It just stayed there, stuck.  Thankfully the credit union was open another few minutes so I dashed over there and they canceled that card (whew) and gave me a new one.  Now I'm nervous about using that machine again.

Have a great day everyone.  Prayers for all on the care list and big cheers for everyone on the celebration list.

Carolyn, I know you will enjoy seeing the zoo through your DGS's eyes, and the evening with both DGSs.  I'm glad you could get the problem with your ATM card solved easily.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

@Seasick SailorWhat type of dog is Oliver?  He's very cute, and I know that DH will want to know!

I want to know too, but whenever I tell him someone has a new furbaby he always wants to know what the furbaby is.

Well I vacuumed and cleaned the kitchen floor, and I'm done,  the dust will just have to stay where it is.

I will tell my therapist what I did, and she will ask how did I feel afterwards.....hmmm..... Yup I hurt. .Again she stressed I do not have a pinched nerve in my elbow.  Just so much damage done over the years that was left unattended.  They plan on keeping me a long time, and I must continue to do the exercises til the end of my days.

Good morning! Oliver will be 1 on August 9th. He is chihuahua and yorkie. He was kept in a cage for almost 10 months with 3 other dogs til the sanctuary rescued them. He is so sweet and follows me everywhere, wants to hold me with his little paws. Makes me cry that he was locked up so long.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Today and tomorrow are heating up from the 70's to the 80's then will cool off again on Friday.  Fine with me!  On Friday we'll be going to the zoo with the youngest grandson, then after picking up the other DGS from camp we'll be with them late into the evening while DD and DSIL have a night 

Interesting days -- instead of raspberry cake, I would choose chocolate cake with raspberry filling -- yum.  I'd like the drink but pass on the red wine.  And yay on the meal, one of our favorites.  I printed off the 2nd recipe and would just add some feta.  Hope to make it soon!  Have never been to the port, thanks for the excellent photos Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser and Sandi @StLouisCruisers.

Today I need to get my hair cut (seems a lot of us are doing that this week!)  

Last week I had a scare at the ATM machine, one I've used many times.  When I inserted my card it kept saying "cannot read card" but it wouldn't go in further and wouldn't come out.  I could see it, but no amount of pulling on it worked.  Hitting "cancel" didn't help either.  It just stayed there, stuck.  Thankfully the credit union was open another few minutes so I dashed over there and they canceled that card (whew) and gave me a new one.  Now I'm nervous about using that machine again.

Have a great day everyone.  Prayers for all on the care list and big cheers for everyone on the celebration list.

I like your version of today’s cake.  Chocolate and raspberries yum!

• Like 19

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

I got the ingredients  to make the Greek chicken and just have to make something  vegetarian  for two of our six.Thank you Debbie for all of your efforts.

Could you marinate and grill up some tofu?  I know some varieties can be grilled.  

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

I was skimming rapidly through the Daily and thought this post was @Seasick Sailorresponding to @marshhawk asking what kind of dog Oliver is.

Answer:  A Lovely Joy.  (A working breed? lol)

He is a lovely joy!

That's funny, Maxine!

Well, the drain people still aren't here yet for our 10 am appointment.  They are now coming out after we get back from our pedicures.  Fortunately, the toilets and showers don't seem to impact the laundry room drain.   Just the washer and the kitchen.  We do have clothes that need to be washed and a kitchen full of dirty dishes.  Sigh......

@Seasick Sailor Oliver is a cutie pie!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Wow!  Thank you.  I haven’t been on here for a bit.  54 years!  Katherine 

Katherine, I don't deserve the thanks.  Vanessa, @JazzyV is the one who remembered and mentioned your anniversary in her post.  She is very good at keeping tract of all our happenings, birthdays and anniversaries.

Hurray on 54 years!

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 20

12 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

FB_IMG_1689764800080.jpg.cd0eae54f6a25c3d7feb2c2f3e6339e9.jpg

Greetings to all. I don't know where this picture came from, but the dog looks just like our PoohBear that we lost a few ago.  He was the kindest soul, and loved kids. He had a 48" chest and weighed in at 138 lbs. He would drag you across the street to say HI to a child.  Every kid in the neighborhood knew him.  Paula and I were PoohBear's parents.  He truly was a great dog, and the kindest of souls.

• Like 29

Okay, Dailyites - I need prayers for my dear friends in Florida. Denny had back surgery two weeks ago. Despite being in a lot of pain, he was sent home on the 8th. Early this morning he had a massive stroke with a brain bleed. He's now in ICU. His wife Bonnie is frantic, naturally. Please pray for both of them!

Thank you!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 17

9 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Okay, Dailyites - I need prayers for my dear friends in Florida. Denny had back surgery two weeks ago. Despite being in a lot of pain, he was sent home on the 8th. Early this morning he had a massive stroke with a brain bleed. He's now in ICU. His wife Bonnie is frantic, naturally. Please pray for both of them!

Thank you!

🙏🙏🙏

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Thank you!

Oh, I am so sorry.  Thoughts are being sent.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

First of all, Happy Anniversary @Lady Hudson  to you and your DH; 54 years, what a lot of memories you've been able to make together!!!

Happy Birthday to @smitty34877's DB.

Prayers for @NextOne's friend Denny that he's able to pull through this, and for his DW Bonnie as she watches over him.

@Quartzsite CruiserI thought of you as soon as I saw this:

May be an image of windmill and text

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 11