The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday August 30th, 2023

richwmn

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Yesterday I had some kind of bug (?) and stomach issues, couldn't hold anything down.  Thankfully it lasted only a few hours.  I still don't have much of an appetite and stomach hurts a little, but much better now. I did NOT want a repeat of the flu (?)  I had last fall and it wasn't.  

Glad to hear you have improved.  Hope you are 100% tomorrow 🤞 

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

The injured places hurt less today.

That is good to hear.  Hope you continue to improve 🤞 

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

The birthday party on Monday was a success.  The birthday boy was confused, but on his best behaviour, and managed to read some of his cards out loud.  He seems smaller than he was, but healthy.  His wife was a bit teary, it's hard to watch.  There were 9 of us at the party, I really don't think he remembered any of us, even family, but he cracked a few jokes and seemed to enjoy the attention, and definitely the chocolate birthday cake.

So glad it all went well, Ann. 👍 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Right now not much going on.  We live about 20 miles north of Savannah.  Some rain, heavy at times with gusts of wind, but the worst is yet to come.  

Savannah is slated to start getting hit about 3 to 5 pm and last into the evening.  The big problem will be the storm surge both in Savannah and here where we live in Bluffton and in Hilton Head.  Very low-lying areas due to a combination of high tides and full moon and lots of rain.  

i am dreading another flood.

That is the situation here right now.

Terri

Terri, thanks for keeping us updated.  I hope you are high enough that the storm surge does not reach you.

12 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Please count me as safe, lucky and thankful! I am close to the intracoastal waterway here in St Petersburg. We actually needed the rain, but no winds or flooding. Our community was spared, although others were not as fortunate.

Our pond at our condo looking full again.

16934196188959008884202436759857.jpg

Glad you are both safe and not affected by the storm.

6 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, our doctor said the latest news on the new shots show October timeframe.  He also said to wait til mid or late Sept for this years flu shot. I want us to be fully vaccinated by the time we leave on Thanksgiving day.  We will be cruising for 50+ days. Any help is appreciated!!

Joy, I hope it's sooner rather than later for the Covid booster.  Because of DH's surgeries last October, I got my last booster about the end of September.  I am trying to be careful, but with all the doctor visits DH is having, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  I haven't heard or read of many cases of the new variant in our area yet, but there are some in the greater DFW area.  I'd planned to wait until later September or sometime in October for the flu and RSV shots.

1 hour ago, HAL4NOW said:

It stopped raining and we were able to stay dry on our walks around Anne properties.

IMG_1891.thumb.jpeg.7bb9a0717180b31331173af214e00fdd.jpeg

IMG_1886.thumb.jpeg.ad381df7f4a65b096225e6512c6c8dc5.jpeg

IMG_1868.thumb.jpeg.1d145871854ce89c4dff1ca995daadd4.jpeg

IMG_1872.thumb.jpeg.7966fc1e6bd1302c37104d52b92f1b5e.jpeg

Tony, I'm glad the weather improved and you enjoyed your day on PEI.  It is a very pretty and interesting island.

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

@ger_77Gerry, I've been dealing with the positional vertigo for over 30 years (yikes-didn't realize it had been that long). It comes and goes, luckily not often but still tired of it. When it gets very bad, the physical therapist helps with exercises and I'm good to go. Hate the feeling though, going through them. Sort of stomach churning-ugh. Hopefully your DH has the one episode and is done with it.

Sun is back and not enough rain yesterday. 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

@Cruzin Terri, please let us know if you have decided to evacuate. According to Accu weather app, the flooding can be life threatening. Stay safe.

They have not issued an evacuation order for us at this time.  We do not intend to evacuate.

We are a good bit inland and hoping for the best.

Thank you for your concern.  They are saying to shelter in place.

Terri

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

Idalia definitely gave us a miss. We still have a few hours left of wind & strong gusts, but we have not had much rain. And do not expect much more.

And we have had hours of hazy sun.

Lots of small branches down, and Bindi &  I rescued a bunch of recycle bins that the wind gusts blew into the street.  They would have made an excellent & challenging obstacle course. 

Truly blessed. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

@ger_77Gerry, I've been dealing with the positional vertigo for over 30 years (yikes-didn't realize it had been that long). It comes and goes, luckily not often but still tired of it. When it gets very bad, the physical therapist helps with exercises and I'm good to go. Hate the feeling though, going through them. Sort of stomach churning-ugh. Hopefully your DH has the one episode and is done with it.

Sun is back and not enough rain yesterday. 

Me, too.. I do the Epley now that I know what to do...haven't had an attack for quite a while.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Happy to say I’ve heard that my nephew’s trailer in Crystal River did not flood!  Thank you all for your concern. 

@Cruzin Terri Sending blessings that no flood waters reach you. Looks like high tide might be 8pm-ish, so that is of concern too.  Keep us posted.

m—

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

@JazzyVThe shoes I have on order are a premade brand but for the life of me I can not remember which one. Will let you know. I hope they will be ok...... I have a high arch and need a high and wide toe box. I have found some regular shoes that are comfortable for every day as long as I am not doing a lot of walking ... Easy Spirit... which no one around here carries. I order on line. But they let me try them and return... and so far so good. I just need some really good, well padded walking shoes. Foot problems can influence so many other parts of the body. And at my age I am starting to feel all muscles and bones.

Susan

• Like 22

Hello all. Today we don't have the landfall of the storm and for that I am gratefull but we are having winds and high tides with the tide surge from the storm and a blue moon. Many are having to move boats and lawn furniture and such. But it has now gone done slightly so I am happy. Hope those in the path of the storm are ok. My prayers are with you.

• Like 25

24 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

@JazzyVThe shoes I have on order are a premade brand but for the life of me I can not remember which one. Will let you know. I hope they will be ok...... I have a high arch and need a high and wide toe box. I have found some regular shoes that are comfortable for every day as long as I am not doing a lot of walking ... Easy Spirit... which no one around here carries. I order on line. But they let me try them and return... and so far so good. I just need some really good, well padded walking shoes. Foot problems can influence so many other parts of the body. And at my age I am starting to feel all muscles and bones.

Susan

Thanks, Susan. I mainly live in good athletic shoes or walking shoes, with orthotics put in, as I pronate a lot. My issue is finding a nice looking flat shoe for being a bit dressier, that has some support, not those ballet type shoes. We have a store here that carries SAS shoes, which are supposed to have a wide toe box, removable insole, etc. They're handcrafted and pretty expensive. I'd like to try on a pair. They're not "cute" shoes, but at this point I'm not looking for cute. 

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 19

28 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

Happy to say I’ve heard that my nephew’s trailer in Crystal River did not flood!  Thank you all for your concern. 

@Cruzin Terri Sending blessings that no flood waters reach you. Looks like high tide might be 8pm-ish, so that is of concern too.  Keep us posted.

m—

Maureen, I'm glad your nephew's trailer did not flood.  

I hope all Dailyites in the path of Idalia fare as well too.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Thanks, Susan. I mainly live in good athletic shoes or walking shoes, with orthotics put in, as I pronate a lot. My issue is finding a nice looking flat shoe for being a bit dressier, that has some support, not those ballet type shoes. We have a store here that carries SAS shoes, which are supposed to have a wide toe box, removable insole, etc. They're handcrafted and pretty expensive. I'd like to try on a pair. They're not "cute" shoes, but at this point I'm not looking for cute. 

I have a couple pairs of SAS that I can wear.... just not for walking and for long. I have pair sketchers I plan to wear for dressy (as dressy as I ever get).

• Like 14

4 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:
Good afternoon all , I am very late today and good thoughts and wishes for all my Cruise Critic friends on this Daily get together . 

We arrived in Haifa , Israel on October 24th , 2016  thanks to Captain Jeroen Schuchmann while on the Prinsendam with blue skies .

Our friend Paula had organized a small group tour on a mini bus to go to Tel Aviv - Jaffa and Caesarea which is a full day and first drove to the top of the hill to see the gorgeous Baha’i Gardens.

DSCN0726.thumb.JPG.33c55adef27457491803f53fe4990a56.JPG

DSCN0723.thumb.jpg.40156f8bd3226705e68b3c66809b3985.jpg

The Elegant Explorer .......The Prinsendam  ! 

DSCN0724.thumb.JPG.1858fdd212af52926f880ba99e54fae2.JPG

From there we drove to the Caesarea’s National Park with the Roman Theater 

DSCN0732.thumb.JPG.3511d0334ca292e18a915855ec08e656.JPG

DSCN0734.thumb.JPG.813f9e780abda1979d0e19626a7dfb43.JPG

Hey , I see some very good friends here , Ann and Pat and their DD Cathy and Dear Martha 

DSCN0736.thumb.JPG.323b1eba55443fd3c16086cdbf33180e.JPG

From there we walked to the Caesarea Harbour built by King Herod and which area is still being excavated for additional buildings and treasures . At the time King Herod build this large harbour and started this large Port . 

DSCN0744.thumb.jpg.f9b4b591c0c01dc8a12f5720afdd86ba.jpg

DSCN0749.thumb.JPG.54760629bbf69497854d9006eca5172d.JPG

The public bath house 

DSCN0753.thumb.JPG.e9129593588c07b78ba3449d9060feca.JPG

DSCN0756.thumb.JPG.2000e8c447dba0e15f60c81fbdab16ba.JPG

DSCN0758.thumb.JPG.1cdf02efa063381b4ce7221942a25a6d.JPG

From there we went to Tel Aviv where we saw the spot where the former Prime Minister of Israel Yitzhak Rabin was murdered in 1995 
DSCN0763.thumb.JPG.d584dc6a919421b8ae6d5444a4160f0e.JPG

DSCN0767.thumb.JPG.ef9404c40b33fbf211e29cf068524241.JPG

Our next stop was going through the Gardens of Jaffa for a nice long ….......walking tour and going over the Wishing Bridge , I first had to move a tree that was in our way ........

DSCN0776.thumb.jpg.d88d357207f57da0b1516a8625eb2e95.jpg

DSCN0780.thumb.JPG.a1f26ce2ec2482736b795e0b6799fbc7.JPG

IMG_4865.thumb.jpg.9cbe61b4f9b25401831756aff8f0fa3a.jpg

We will have to ask Cathy if her wishes came true
DSCN0782.thumb.JPG.b4ca75d3481e7927fd4aa858e10e1953.JPG

DSCN0783.thumb.JPG.abad0ea1a59500c40bd04b13c7c8f5e6.JPG

DSCN0788.thumb.JPG.6b8b899e1472a8bfdaa6d842988a31c8.JPG

DSCN0786.thumb.JPG.fe546d4c72d39b542400662676fbf249.JPG

Beautiful beaches 

DSCN0796.thumb.JPG.843ff5b7e0ac872325dd55c57e97c8d2.JPG

Time to get back to port , captain is waiting he is ready to leave by the time we got back  ……........ plus I  now need my 3rd cup of coffee and these are enough pictures for today 

DSCN0803.thumb.jpg.123fe62945e0673b843ecdd36c79c09d.jpg

Tony 😄😄

Excellent photos of a special place.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

SAS has great shoes. A podiatrist friend recommended them. Yes they are expensive but sometimes happy feet are worth it.

• Like 16

Hello all, still praying for all who are in the path of the storms.  It's good to hear that folks are OK so far!  We were to Israel for a land tour a while back.  We landed in Tel Aviv from Athens.  We went with our pastor, and a group from church.  It was a special trip!  The pictures today remind me of great memories from those days!  The fish tacos today sound yummy, so does the drink of the day!  I just got home from donating blood, and I'm feeling a bit "poorly" just now.  My bp was 93/70, but I know it will be ok again soon!  DH is going to be in charge of dinner while I rest with my feet up!  LOL!  @JazzyV& @durangoscotsI hear you when it comes to shoe issues...my New Balance shoes are my favorite, it's hard to find something to wear that's sort of dressy!  I found some Vionic gold sandals for our winter cruise.  Have a great evening!  Karen

• Like 22

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good day and thanks all!  Grief is often what we don’t talk about, yet it is life changing.   I worked with a number of students who had lost their parents,  truly the most important work I did. 

@dfish love those fish tacos!

Thanks for the port photos, Lenda, Sandi and Tony!  
I hope everyone stays safe! 
@ger_77 agree you did the right thing!  
my mom had the inner ear issue and the exercise really helped her.  

@Cruising-along hope you feel better soon! 
@Seasick Sailor what a touching story! 

Love beaches! 

IMG_2201.jpeg

IMG_1434.jpeg

B0255D1D-FFEB-4365-8104-84C4798EF4A8.jpeg

IMG_1475.jpeg

IMG_3129.jpeg

Nice beaches.

Would you please share where they are?

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, highscar said:

@aliaschiefi like the fit of SAS for my wide feet. I have a pair of SAS sandals that my friend calls “snow shoes”. 

I wore SAS while I was teaching. My problem with sandals is that my toes need to be covered since they are pretty bad looking due to several surgeries. I used to have a wonderful pair of SAS sandals that did cover the toes but they fell apart a few years ago.  I think I am ok for the cruise with dressy shoes since I won't be wearing them for long periods or walking for long and so far the Sketchers are comfortable. And while eating my feet are under the table. What I don't need is to be traveling with a lot of shoes.... those suckers get heavy. Of course, with my luck, I will be leaving Durango wearing snow boots which, I guess, I could mail home from San Diego.

Susan

• Like 18