From Where Do *You* Order Foreign Currency Online?

Rick&Jeannie

My local bank (somewhat small town) *can* order foreign currency,  It usually takes 2-3 days before I can pick it up.  Plus, they have a processing fee (no surprise) and whet I feel are strict rules.  (Must order US $200 worth of currency per order, and you cannot "mix" currency types to make up that $200.)  So, any amount of a given currency is going to cost me a minimum of $200 + the fee.

I'm getting a bit perturbed at this inflexibility.  I know there are places to order online...but I'd like to hear from those that have done so and their experience.  It may very well not be any better than what I'm getting now...

I don’t know what currency you need.  We usually use our debit card when we arrive at a country if we need cash.  You will get a small fee for the ATM.  So many countries now use credit or debit card for taxis and restaurants.  If you are only in a country for a day on a cruise $200 is more than you will need    If it’s a country that uses Euros then they are useful for multiple stops. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

My local bank (somewhat small town) *can* order foreign currency,  It usually takes 2-3 days before I can pick it up.  Plus, they have a processing fee (no surprise) and whet I feel are strict rules.  (Must order US $200 worth of currency per order, and you cannot "mix" currency types to make up that $200.)  So, any amount of a given currency is going to cost me a minimum of $200 + the fee.

I'm getting a bit perturbed at this inflexibility.  I know there are places to order online...but I'd like to hear from those that have done so and their experience.  It may very well not be any better than what I'm getting now...

In the past we've bought what they call a "tip pak" from AAA.  It's typically a small amount just so we had some money when we got into a foreign country.  Then we find an ATM once incountry to get more, if we need it.

We have found there are usually ATMs right in the port entry and exits. Not everyone takes cards. Usually the drivers and guides we find want cash. The airports all have ATMs too.
Does anyone know what currency the ATM machines on board usually give?

I appreciate all of the answers given so far...but none of them address what I'm trying to do. I prefer to have the foreign currency "in hand" as I step off the plane so that I don't have to deal with trying to find a bank or ATM. (That's just how I'm wired!)

Maybe *nobody* orders currency pre-trip...IDK. 

I know you're saying we aren't answering your question, but you are right that it's increasingly rare these days. I have another vote for ATMs. I basically spend my life traveling internationally for work, and I almost never bring cash. I usually bring a couple hundred US Dollars or Euros to exchange in an emergency (which has happened, for example when an ATM I have used 100 times in Brazil suddenly decided my card wasn't valid), but it's exceedingly rare. Between ATMs for cash and using my card itself, there is very little need to bring local currency unless you're in very underdeveloped parts of the world (and even then...). 

I have spoken to a few people who have ordered through their bank with the associated fees and delays, but even they have admitted that it was just a waste of time and money in hindsight. 

• Like 1

From where do we order our currency online?  We never do, and we are out of the country more than 6 months a year.  Ordering online means you will pay a premium for any currency.  We simply use our ATM/Debit cards to get whatever currency we need, when we are in any country.  Our Credit Unions do not charge any extra fees (that is one of our criteria for dealing with banks) and we simply send them (along with our credit card companies) travel notifications....a few days before we leave the country,

One other thing about ATM/Debit cards.  Since we do a lot of foreign travel, DW and I have 3 different ATM cards, each drawn on a different bank account.  That gives us 2 back-ups in case a card gets rejected, lost, etc.  It also means we can withdraw from multiple accounts on the same day in the event that we need a lot of cash and would exceed the daily withdrawal limits (often $300 - $500 per day).

Hank

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I appreciate all of the answers given so far...but none of them address what I'm trying to do. I prefer to have the foreign currency "in hand" as I step off the plane so that I don't have to deal with trying to find a bank or ATM. (That's just how I'm wired!)

Sorry but I thought my post #7 answered for you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

We do. Not much, since so many countries are virtually cashless now, but we like to have some local currency for those few places where we may need it. 

Our bank will order what we need, and we don’t pay a fee. It usually takes a few days to a week. There’s also the option of AAA. 

14 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Our bank will order what we need, and we don’t pay a fee. It usually takes a few days to a week. There’s also the option of AAA. 

I just called AAA...they don't do foreign currency any longer, even though it is listed on their website!

3 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

We do. Not much, since so many countries are virtually cashless now, but we like to have some local currency for those few places where we may need it. 

We also like to have just a small amount of local currency with us when we arrive.  Even if there is a surcharge for buying the currency locally, for a small amount, the surcharge is quite small indeed.  And usually there has not been any fee.

Then we don't need to worry about finding an ATM at the airport.  As time goes on, we need local currency less and less, but there are usually at least a few times when it comes in handy, and especially where tipping isn't considered inappropriate.

And if we do need a bit more local currency, we can get it after we have checked in and rested, etc.

Over the years and after trips to a variety of countries/currencies, we ended up with a "selection" of currencies, with most of them being a relatively small amount.

It doesn't make sense to convert them back to USD, and later maybe need to buy more local currency of the same type.  So what we do every so often, IN a foreign country where we want a bit more local currency, we go to a regular currency exchange (for better rates and also handling more outside currencies) and convert our odds and ends into the local currency of choice/need.

As for the initial starting amount of local currency, we also have a small account with Bank of Americe (in part because there is a branch very close to us).  We just order it, and they send it to us.  The first time, I was very worried about whether the "envelope of foreign cash" would really show up.  It did; no problem at all.  For a few key currencies, we could drive to another branch where they keep some on hand, but this was so easy...! 🙂 

GC

• Like 1

American Express used to offer travelers checks in foreign currency. I don’t know if they still do. I would think, if you know you can get local currency on the ship, that should put your mind at ease. 
But I get it if you are flying into another country or spending any time at all precruise. Not EVERYONE takes ccs. Especially cabs, and small local places. But every airport has multiple atms and currency exchange offices. So if you can’t get what you need from your bank, don’t stress. 

10 hours ago, Szt said:

American Express used to offer travelers checks in foreign currency. I don’t know if they still do. I would think, if you know you can get local currency on the ship, that should put your mind at ease. 
But I get it if you are flying into another country or spending any time at all precruise. Not EVERYONE takes ccs. Especially cabs, and small local places. But every airport has multiple atms and currency exchange offices. So if you can’t get what you need from your bank, don’t stress. 

We found in Amsterdam, not every place takes the local currency. They only take credit cards and debit cards, Visa or Master Card.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I just called AAA...they don't do foreign currency any longer, even though it is listed on their website!

Their currency bundles were marked way up anyway...

I think others have posted what the available options are, more or less:  either order through a bank or credit union; use a change bureau (bad rates) or ATM at the airport, or use an ATM on arrival.

Many ATMs in airports have been replaced by machines that provide local currency BUT are associated with change bureaus. Don't use them as they give the same lousy mark-up. Look for ATMs associated with local banks (you can google in advance where ATMs are located in various airports....)

I don't think anyone in Europe even knows what a traveler's check is anymore, and I have found European hotels and banks are much more reluctant to exchange currency than they once were.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2023 at 7:15 AM, Rick&Jeannie said:

every major airport has a currency conversion kiosk before you get to baggage claim ( you can find it as you are walking out of the plane).  The exchange rates are horrible, but if you want quick local currency in hand, that would be the place to do it.  

• Like 1

I think the issue is that this is so uncommon that very few places offer the service, and therefore those that do, can set their price. It sounds like your bank is more unflexible than most. I've pre-ordered currency once from PNC and while I had to pay a fee, I didn't have the currency restrictions you did. If this is something you do often, you could set up a free checking account at another bank with a minimal deposit so you can order cash from them. But I agree with the other posters that bringing currency and converting it the airport is probably a comparable solution. But we mostly do ATMS and credit cards when we travel.