No trays!!!!

Dennis Lindsey

Just a suggestion. But something has to give navigating the buffet lines now that most ships no longer provide trays.
You quickly run out of hands, plate space, pockets . Say you're walking down the serving  line and decide to get a carton of milk. Your plate is 80% full, because you embarrassed yourself at the mashed potato serving tray, in your other hand a cup of soup. Carp! At this point you're pretty much screwed.  Look for an empty table plop your plate down. Back to the serving line and try to reach in to grab a carton of milk. Hopefully without some knucklehead screaming: "The end of line is that way!" The buffet food is barely warm as it is. So by the time you gathered all the nuts and berries you want and if a staffer has not taking your plate away, Sit and enjoy cold food.

So chill

Edited by Dennis Lindsey
spell

9 minutes ago, Dennis Lindsey said:

Just a suggestion. But something has to give navigating the buffet lines now that most ships no longer provide trays.
You quickly run out of hands, plate space, pockets . Say you're walking down the serving  line and decide to get a carton of milk. Your plate is 80% full, because you embarrassed yourself at the mashed potato serving tray, in your other hand a cup of soup. Carp! At this point you're pretty much screwed.  Look for an empty table plop your plate down. Back to the serving line and try to reach in to grab a carton of milk. Hopefully without some knucklehead screaming: "The end of line is that way!" The buffet food is barely warm as it is. So by the time you gathered all the nuts and berries you want and if a staffer has not taking your plate away, Sit and enjoy cold food.

So chill

Can you only go through the buffet line once? 🤔

Do they not have wait staff that could bring you a carton of milk?

• Like 2

I agree that trays would make life easier for cruisers. My guess is the reason we don't have them is money.

It costs cruise lines more to provide them and yet more money to have cruisers shlep on a bunch of food that goes half-uneaten. 

I think there is a sanitation reason. I also think the trays make getting around the buffet when it’s crowded dicy. 
But mostly, it makes it feel like a cafeteria. Having lived in Vegas for a long time, I have mastered the buffet. 
First, make a pass round the entire buffet and decide what looks good. Grab your beverage, flatware and condiments and find your table. 
Second, get your first course, enjoy that. Sit for a bit. 
Third, main course choices. If you’re not sure- take a very little bit. You don’t want to take up valuable stomach real estate with food that’s not that good. 
Fourth, desert. Since they usually have the same dessert options every meal (this goes for everything at the Buffett) don’t feel like you have to have everything in one meal. Promise yourself to have the other one tomorrow night. Even if you go to the MDR, you can sneak to the Buffett for a treat, or take it back to your room for later. 

• Like 8

It's a great idea to visit the buffet multiple times to fully enjoy each course without overeating. Start with soup or salad, then return for more substantial main dishes. Save room for dessert. I appreciate buffets that allow guests to visit multiple times, as it promotes a leisurely dining experience where people can tailor their meals to their liking. Three trips through the line seems ideal to make the most of the tasty options available. An optional fourth trip could be for a takeaway to your room, if possible.
  • Like 2

The problem with making multiple trips is if you are by yourself. When the buffet is busy, If you leave a used plate on a table; it will be gone and the table will be taken by the time you get back. As long as you have someone else with you, you can take turns.  But I get what the OP is saying, I often have breakfast on my own because I'm an early riser.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Just a note, college dining halls seem to have eliminated trays too, I’m guessing for the same reasons, food waste, and the sanitation of trays. I haven’t seen a tray on a cruise ship in a long time.

You mean no more traying? We used to sled down the big hill in the middle of campus after bar time. 

• Like 2

I can see it being more of an issue for a single cruiser but DW will generally grab a table after getting our drinks while I go through the line. I like the buffets that are set up with action stations where lines are generally shorter, but even if that isn't the case if you just need to grab one thing (like milk) most people won't mind if you ask nicely (but most of the ships that I've sailed on the milk is in a separate area). At breakfast I'm by myself, but I'm also up before any appreciable lines form so getting my breakfast isn't that big of a deal. 

One hack that I've heard of is ordering something in the morning from room service and then keeping the tray to use later.

• Thanks 1

I often get up before my hubby and enjoy breakfast alone. I don’t eat that much that I can’t get it in one trip, except for juice and coffee. First, staff will often come around and offer to bring you those. Second, leave a sweater or something if little value at your table. Staff and passengers generally know that means Simone is there. I have also found if the food is untouched and silverware unopened and clean, no one will clear it. 

• Like 2

I learned a tip here on CC that has served me well when I've gone on solo cruises.  I make a table tent type sign that says "Be back in a minute" on both sides.  I also leave something of little value on the table.  It has seemed to work when I've gone back to the buffet for a quick trip.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, sanger727 said:

The problem with making multiple trips is if you are by yourself. When the buffet is busy, If you leave a used plate on a table; it will be gone and the table will be taken by the time you get back. As long as you have someone else with you, you can take turns.  But I get what the OP is saying, I often have breakfast on my own because I'm an early riser.

I'll be sailing solo for the first time in January.  While I do all of my reading on a kindle I plan to bring a paperback book so I can leave it at my spot when I go back up.  Either that or print some 5x7 cards that say "NOT DONE YET * STILL USING".

• Like 1

I often get up before my hubby and enjoy breakfast alone. I don’t eat that much that I can’t get it in one trip, except for juice and coffee. First, staff will often come around and offer to bring you those. Second, leave a sweater or something if little value at your table. Staff and passengers generally know that means Simone is there. I have also found if the food is untouched and silverware unopened and clean, no one will clear it. 

On 9/21/2023 at 6:09 PM, Dennis Lindsey said:

You quickly run out of hands, plate space, pockets .

When we "returned to cruising", I was worried about this because my husband has some minor mobility issues now.  It turned out to be no problem at all.  We have two methods: 

- Sometimes, especially if it's busy, we'll pick up our drink and silverware first, then find a seat.  One of us goes to fill a plate while the other sits with the drinks.  We do not drink things that've been out of our sight, even for a moment. 

- If the place isn't busy, we'll go together to fill our plates.  Then I'll go fetch drinks and silverware.  

- We tend to eat our main meal first, then go back for dessert.  Sometimes we'll go one at a time to get dessert, sometimes we'll peruse the offerings before we sit down, and I'll go pick up for both of us.  

On 9/21/2023 at 6:09 PM, Dennis Lindsey said:

The buffet food is barely warm as it is.

I haven't had a problem with this.  

On 9/22/2023 at 7:21 AM, sanger727 said:

The problem with making multiple trips is if you are by yourself. 

Sometimes we end up splitting up for breakfast or lunch.  I usually tuck my silverware into a pocket, and I carry just one plate and a glass.  If I want something else (like a doughnut after my sensible breakfast), I usually pick it up "to go" back to the room.  A staff member is usually hovering around clearing and cleaning, so -- if I need to leave the table; like for a second drink -- I ask that person nicely to keep an eye on my table and not to clear my food.  If that staff person offers to bring it to me, I say yes and thank them -- but I never ask them to do anything extra.  Have had no problem with this.  

Oh, one more thing.  I never carry a purse or bag that can't just sling over my wrist.  And often I just tuck my Ship ID into my pocket and don't carry a bag at all.  

On 9/22/2023 at 2:23 PM, MBMGWM said:

I learned a tip here on CC that has served me well when I've gone on solo cruises.  I make a table tent type sign that says "Be back in a minute" on both sides.  I also leave something of little value on the table.  It has seemed to work when I've gone back to the buffet for a quick trip.

I have something similar that I've made (and laminated) for my pool chair -- just for when I take a bathroom break or go to fetch a drink.  I don't know why I don't have such a thing for tables in the buffet; I'll have to change that!  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 2