The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday September 28th, 2023

richwmn

37 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Annie, thank for your to well wishes and the hugs.

Denise, I hope you continue to feel better.

Vanessa, thank you for putting DH on the care list today.

It's time to get the last things in the bag and get ready to head to Dallas.

Lenda

Safe travels and best wishes for dh and his shunt placement

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning from a windy and cloudy day at the beach

I have wonderful neighbors. We try to look out and help each other. Very fortunate. I dont drink beer. 

@rafinmd Safe travels today. Hope you have a wonderful journey.

@Quartzsite Cruiser  Hope everything goes smoothly today for your DH. Safe travels to Dallas.

I have a meeting at the library this morning. Then have to count the money from the copier and prepare the monthly deposit. Will keep me busy for awhile today.  

Was scheduled to play golf yesterday but the rain took care of that. Tomorrow does not look much better  

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Happy Thursday!  This information about National Public Lands Day is copied from the National Park Service website. 

Established in 1994 and held annually on the fourth Saturday in September, National Public Lands Day is traditionally the nation's largest single-day volunteer effort. It celebrates the connection between people and green space in their community, inspires environmental stewardship, and encourages use of open space for education, recreation, and health benefits.

Thank you for the wonderful pictures of Bergen.  We will be there next summer.  For those of you who have traveled to Norway, there are 2 ports that I can’t find much information, Fredrikstad and Farsund. Has anyone been there?

Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Sort of on the way.  I got out of the house early but realized there were some backup copies of reservations I had not printed so I just got off the copier in the fire house .

Checked train status and it is showing on time.  I plan to leave the fire house soon to allow plenty of time for traffic delays.

Roy

Ready to read both your threads. Enjoy your trips

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Sort of on the way.  I got out of the house early but realized there were some backup copies of reservations I had not printed so I just got off the copier in the fire house .

Checked train status and it is showing on time.  I plan to leave the fire house soon to allow plenty of time for traffic delays.

Roy

Have a great trip, Roy.  Hope both voyages go well for you.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Bon Voyage! 

bon-voyage-49 (1).gif

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all. Three more sleeps before I start my journey.  I am now doubting all that I packed.  Do I need something else, should I repack and add this or take out this? I know I'm fine but now my mind has time to dwell on it. I hope that the government does not shut down but even if they do I should be fine.  I will just enjoy not having to worry about politics for the time I'm gone.  I look forward to finding out how a legendary journey differs from a grand voyage. 

• Like 29

Good morning, everyone!

It is another dreary day here in mid-Michigan with temperatures only in the mid 60s.  That's ok.  The leaves here are really starting to turn and they are falling at a faster rate than we like.  I guess I just need to get out there with the leaf blower.  

@Quartzsite Cruiser Wishing you all the best for your DH's procedure today.  I hope all goes well and it makes the difference you are looking for.

@rafinmd Bon Voyage!

bon-voyage-card-vacation-illustration-headline-flat-mosaic-style-52335720.thumb.jpg.43e8db70c7e3e18a42b62084955f3b25.jpg

We were in Bergen last summer on our Norway cruise.  We took the funicular up to the top of Mt. Floyen.   There are hiking trails of various lengths and difficulties.  This will surprise @StLouisCruisers Sandi, Sue and I went communing with nature and ended up at this beautiful lake.  

Bergen1.thumb.jpg.71bbea0a71a258f95f9fc0468dd2ea35.jpg

Bergen2.thumb.jpg.ae831e4fba068c9fd5ee3921908506c2.jpg

Bergen3.thumb.jpg.de212a38bc9f5fe55157ed5913f22bc8.jpg

Today's meal is a good one.  I know I would like this. Someone on here has Swedish ancestry and may be able to help us out with the recipe.  I can't remember who it is, but possibly @ger_77 or @smitty34877?  I'm probably way off, but hope that person chimes in.  In the meantime, here's the first recipe to get us started.   https://therecipecritic.com/the-best-swedish-meatballs/

swedishmeatballs1.thumb.jpg.3cd49a9dbaa6398314393cb3cbad48c1.jpg

The sauce in this next recipe is more involved and sounds very flavorful to me.  Several of the recipes say that using allspice and nutmeg in the meatballs themselves is the key to getting the special flavor Swedish Meatballs have.   https://thecozycook.com/swedish-meatball-recipe/

swedishmeatballs2.thumb.jpg.3b4edfe83057a2e24d6545d76a9aabf4.jpg

Swedish meatballs are often served over mashed potatoes or some type of pasta.  They would be low carb if you substitute riced cauliflower.  https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/swedish-meatballs/

swedishmeatballs3.thumb.jpeg.eae0000f380973f6b0a50676f344db6e.jpeg

Some recipes call for cream for the sauce and some call for sour cream.  This one uses cream.  I think sour cream might change the flavor too much.   https://themodernproper.com/swedish-meatballs

swedishmeatballs5.thumb.jpg.259fd8e8998bfe80a5505360a12a23ac.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 13

Good cloudy and cool morning. I’m not a beer drinker but will celebrate the fact that the oldest brewery in the US is about an hour away from me. DB Yuengling is located in Pottsville Pa and is still family owned. 
  I am not fond of Swedish meatballs but buy them occasionally at the IKEA store.

We are leaving for Hershey around 11:30, hopefully no traffic , the appointment is for 2:00. I wish it was over. 🤞

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 29

36 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Happy Thursday!  This information about National Public Lands Day is copied from the National Park Service website. 

Established in 1994 and held annually on the fourth Saturday in September, National Public Lands Day is traditionally the nation's largest single-day volunteer effort. It celebrates the connection between people and green space in their community, inspires environmental stewardship, and encourages use of open space for education, recreation, and health benefits.

Thank you for the wonderful pictures of Bergen.  We will be there next summer.  For those of you who have traveled to Norway, there are 2 ports that I can’t find much information, Fredrikstad and Farsund. Has anyone been there?

Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

Tina, those are two Norway ports I've never seen much less heard of.  They must be off the beaten path tourist wise which is a good thing!  I would love to see them!

Here is a good place to learn a little more about Fredrikstad.

https://www.visitnorway.com/places-to-go/eastern-norway/fredrikstad/

And Farsund.

https://www.visitnorway.com/places-to-go/southern-norway/listings-lister/farsund-tourist-information/221999/

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for today's daily reports.

Beer day is good.

Pass on good neighbour and today's food and drink.

We have been to Bergen a couple of times on cruises.

It was the first port in June on our Norwegian Fjords cruise but it was on a Sunday and most things were closed and there was no shuttles from the ship.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

IMG_20230928_104736.jpg

Screenshot_20230928_114517.jpg

Another great photo. It looks like that bacon or ham sandwich is sticking its tongue out at me. Also how did you get that picnic table in your car?

• Like 8
  • Haha 18

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Instead of having wine tonight, I think we'll have beer.  We try to be good neighbours and are blessed by having a lot of them.  We are fortunate that our city has many public lands that can be enjoyed by all; one of them at the end of our block.  Holey moley, speaking of the park at the end of our block - a large hot air balloon just went by - it must have taken off from the park, as I can hear the burner going to lift it above the trees!!!

It's a cool, clear morning out there but the forecast is calling for showers later in the day.  I'm going to get into the back yard with the leaf blower to collect all the leaves and then scoop them into the compost bin before they get all wet and soggy.  Then it'll be dragging them around with the rake, which I'd rather not do.  I'll get DH involved with the leaf blower (he loves playing with that thing), and I'll do the scooping, making it a quicker task before the rain starts.

@Quartzsite Cruiserprayers for you, DH, and his medical team for today; I hope the shunt does exactly what it's supposed to.

@rafinmdsafe travels today and Bon Voyage for tomorrow!

@dfishsorry, no Swedish ancestry here!

I'm sure I'd like the drink of the day if it had rum instead of bourbon, and know it would make a great drink in a punch bowl at Christmas time.  I'm going to pass on the wine, and although I do like Swedish meatballs, I'm not a fan of the dish at IKEA.  I've made them a few times but when using sour cream, to me it tastes more like beef stroganoff.  Today I've got a couple of pounds of ground beef thawing that I'm going to make up into porcupine balls for the freezer, but will leave some  out for us for dinner.  It's looking like we'll be enjoying porcupine balls, parmesan potatoes and green beans on the deck tonight.  And beer.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good morning,

The weather is heating up and we will be in the 90’s for the next 5 days. At least the humidity is low. They finally came and worked on the yard yesterday. Fingers crossed it will work. 

Lots of travelers and Bon Voyage Roy.

@Quartzsite Cruiser prayers shunt goes well. DeniseT I hope you continue to improve. 

I was in Bergen this past May and did a walking tour in the rain of course. My Gore-Tex. Brooks tennis shoes really worked. 

They used a laser on my face yesterday. It was irritating more than painful. No numbing cream used as it interferes on how deep it goes. The spots look darker today but that is what they said would happen. Hopefully they will go away. 

Prayers for all on the care list and have a great day. 

Here are some pictures from the fish market area and other spots on the tour  I found a local artists shop and bought to small pictures to add to my collection  IMG_1122.thumb.jpeg.fcf54c885ed3930c2ab167c48331d2a2.jpegIMG_1120.thumb.jpeg.1afd332ab8c65b03a24e4483d426edf6.jpegIMG_1118.thumb.jpeg.2e2d66715f6e405f80515f560301c085.jpegIMG_1117.thumb.jpeg.dd3db1cf3b6337e86d15d44f6719fabc.jpegIMG_1116.thumb.jpeg.69cb31ec04a8a6ee6600252bb01abb08.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

I don't think that people need any special encouragement to drink beer, but I'm in favor of good neighbors and public lands, although Public Lands Day is always on a Saturday.

A few years ago I developed a recipe for making kosher Swedish meatballs: use a mixture of ground beef and ground turkey, and for the dairy ingredient, use tofu sour cream. I would like Yule Nog well enough if the eggnog were lactose-free, but it's not exactly in season. At least it doesn't call itself a martini. I have some Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand but not that one. From the Finger Lakes I might substitute the 2021 from the Hosmer Estate Winery, although it's probably more aromatic.

I haven't been to Bergen, but when I was studying Norwegian, I learned (and have since forgotten) about some of the distinctive Bergen ways of speaking. I think that Johannes (kirken) would be John, not James.

Today I need to buy groceries and mow the lawn (both urgent), and attend class. I have some sweet peppers that I want to sauté the Greek way, but no idea what I might put with them.

I may be a little sad later, because I'm about to discard a favorite cabin bag that I bought in 1981, but which has become too dilapidated to use.

martinicone.thumb.jpg.86ec0c019e26a2e439faaf21777e659a.jpg

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 23
  • Haha 12

Good morning Dailyites. 

A beautiful morning in Georgetown. 

Roy, Bon Voyage. Have a great time. Looking forward to reading about your journey. 

Lenda prayers lifted for DH shunt installation. Always prayers for Baby Murphy and Terri and family. Were you able to get a new aide for Tana? Prayers to all on the prayer list so well kept by Vanessa.

I really liked the quote today. I looked up at my books and knew they are waiting for me.

We have good neighbors except the one next door.. his son has been living with him for 15 months. He sits on the patio smoking and talking so loud on his phone, it is maddening. He had a job one month. He quit because he did not like his supervisor. 

image.png.b65568f72b5bbea4b417b2b703522dfe.png

I do not drink beer but have it in the fridge for our friends. 

image.png.b9deeaccd6675efed4286f9606517f87.png

And for Redneck Bob:

image.png.e3d1d2947c7461b2dafce6f3b5684cb8.png

Today the guy from Lowes will be over to measure our door for a new screen door with doggie door. Oliver will be proud. Today is also bath day for him. Tonight is girls game night. I need to move along to the market. 

Wishing you blessings and happiness this 28th day of September. 

Edited by Seasick Sailor
Misspell
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 6

@ger_77 Beer?🙀

@Denise THope you feel better soon. I am finding out the hard way that with my new diabetes meds, if I eat just one thing that I shouldn't, my tummy goes the Hades in a handbasket...

It is currently cloudy, 63 degrees and quite windy.  Bacon is in the oven, and now I can start my real day.  Back to season 7 of Midsomer Murders.

I did just read that Michael Gambon  passed away.  He was quite the character in real life, but he did make a wonderful Professor Dumbledore.  

• Like 26

56 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

It is another dreary day here in mid-Michigan with temperatures only in the mid 60s.  That's ok.  The leaves here are really starting to turn and they are falling at a faster rate than we like.  I guess I just need to get out there with the leaf blower.  

@Quartzsite Cruiser Wishing you all the best for your DH's procedure today.  I hope all goes well and it makes the difference you are looking for.

@rafinmd Bon Voyage!

bon-voyage-card-vacation-illustration-headline-flat-mosaic-style-52335720.thumb.jpg.43e8db70c7e3e18a42b62084955f3b25.jpg

We were in Bergen last summer on our Norway cruise.  We took the funicular up to the top of Mt. Floyen.   There are hiking trails of various lengths and difficulties.  This will surprise @StLouisCruisers Sandi, Sue and I went communing with nature and ended up at this beautiful lake.  

Bergen1.thumb.jpg.71bbea0a71a258f95f9fc0468dd2ea35.jpg

Bergen2.thumb.jpg.ae831e4fba068c9fd5ee3921908506c2.jpg

Bergen3.thumb.jpg.de212a38bc9f5fe55157ed5913f22bc8.jpg

Today's meal is a good one.  I know I would like this. Someone on here has Swedish ancestry and may be able to help us out with the recipe.  I can't remember who it is, but possibly @ger_77 or @smitty34877?  I'm probably way off, but hope that person chimes in.  In the meantime, here's the first recipe to get us started.   https://therecipecritic.com/the-best-swedish-meatballs/

swedishmeatballs1.thumb.jpg.3cd49a9dbaa6398314393cb3cbad48c1.jpg

The sauce in this next recipe is more involved and sounds very flavorful to me.  Several of the recipes say that using allspice and nutmeg in the meatballs themselves is the key to getting the special flavor Swedish Meatballs have.   https://thecozycook.com/swedish-meatball-recipe/

swedishmeatballs2.thumb.jpg.3b4edfe83057a2e24d6545d76a9aabf4.jpg

Swedish meatballs are often served over mashed potatoes or some type of pasta.  They would be low carb if you substitute riced cauliflower.  https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/swedish-meatballs/

swedishmeatballs3.thumb.jpeg.eae0000f380973f6b0a50676f344db6e.jpeg

Some recipes call for cream for the sauce and some call for sour cream.  This one uses cream.  I think sour cream might change the flavor too much.   https://themodernproper.com/swedish-meatballs

swedishmeatballs5.thumb.jpg.259fd8e8998bfe80a5505360a12a23ac.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

My grandparents were from a small farming community near Goteburg. Mormor never gave exact measurements for any of the traditional food she made so I learned by doing it with her. The first recipe is the closest to hers but we always added finely chopped sautéed onion. One small one. Always cream too.

I brown meatballs in the oven these days for 15 min at 350 but she would not have agreed with that change. Thank you Debbie, it was nice to think of a wonderful woman this morning.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Wow! Slept in and now in a rush. Have appointments for our Covid boosters this morning. We have been to Bergen enough times that we have no strong desire to return.

@rafinmdHave a safe trip and wonderful cruise. I believe it’s just what the doctor ordered. Bon Voyage!

Thanks for the reports and list. Off to CVS. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.0cb832676bbf586bf6760cd789f0d6ee.jpegimage.jpeg.d76ff019f6a227dcf2c8c77b43e69986.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.30e8a263277d1faa1aa70063a4914ffc.jpegimage.jpeg.e072ac8575a8fb06b281e8ba3a93bff1.jpegimage.jpeg.372d623a10db37f95cbdc86cf02340ab.jpegimage.jpeg.611577527c7d03fa6f119c0b9dea518c.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Haha 20