The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday September 30th, 2023

richwmn

Today is National Mud Pack Day, Hug a Vegetarian Day, and International Translation Day

If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.--C.S. Lewis

Meal Suggestion for today - Lasagna Soup
Drink of the Day - Fancy Bourbon Punch
Wine of the Day - Matahiwi Estate Sauvignon Blanc
Destination of the Day - Suva, Viti Levu Island, Fiji

Today in History:
1846 Anesthetic ether is used for the 1st time, by American dentist Dr William Morton who extracts a tooth
1980 Ethernet specifications published by Xerox working with Intel and Digital Equipment Corporation
1950 Radio's "Grand Ole Opry" is broadcast on TV for 1st time

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Seattle, Washington d1500

Koningsdam

Vancouver, Canada d1600

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, Canada eta 10-01

Nieuw Statendam

Piraeus (Athens), Greece 0700[+1]2300

Noordam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, Canada eta 10-01

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Santorini, Greece eta 10-01

Rotterdam

Helsinki, Finland 0700-1700

Volendam

San Francisco, California 0800-1700

Westerdam

Victoria, British Columbia 2000-2359

Zaandam

Bar Harbor, Maine 0800-1700

Zuiderdam

Quebec City, Quebec d1700

0930World.thumb.jpg.9a7050b398fd2b1bd2c024f650caeac1.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 17
  • Haha 1

Fancy Bourbon Punch cocktail:

Ingredients
4 parts Maker's Mark® Bourbon
1 part Sugar, Granulated
3 Lemon
3 Orange
4 parts Tea
1 part Champagne
Fresh Nutmeg

Instructions
Peel the oranges and lemons, keeping the peels. Juice the oranges and lemons. Combine sugar and citrus peels in the bottom of a punch bowl. Muddle together until sugar starts to clump together. Let sit for about 2 hours (while not necessary, this does add a little complexity).
Brew the tea for about 30 minutes, remove loose tea or tea bags and allow to cool. Add the juice of the peeled fruit, tea and bourbon. Stir. Top with champagne just before serving and stir gently.
Top with freshly grated nutmeg and serve.
*If you cant grate fresh nutmeg, dont use the prepackaged powdered stuff. It will turn your punch into a paste. If fresh isn't possible, garnish with citrus wheels or fresh fruit.

Screenshot 2023-09-30 at 6.34.45 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 15
  • Haha 2

Thanks for our Saturday Daily, Rich.

and thanks to Debbie, Dixie, Ann & Vanessa.

Interesting collection of days.  I think of the 3, I will celebrate international translation day.  Here in Canada, it’s our National Day of Truth and Reconciliation.

Love the quote by C.S. Lewis but I’m a fan 😉 Truly memorable days in history today.  And, I do believe I see another white wine ♥️ I’m going to need some by the time this day is done.

IMG_1224.jpeg.d33bd365860de89fa551694830dd0cb1.jpeg

My friend and I had a nice, weepy (at times) visit.  Today, I will see what I can get done bulb & garden wise and the rest may have to wait until I get back depending on how things go and how dry the bulbs are.

IMG_1114.jpeg.b4a01b498a3b8fa38fd186577d07303d.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, health issues, worries and those that need them 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

IMG_1222.jpeg.c46adf7ae52c7f3425c19bea10bd68da.jpeg

Have a good Saturday everyone.

• Like 27
  • Haha 14

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

It's still dark and the moon is very bright.  We should have a nice sunny day, this afternoon's high is forecast to be 22°C (72°F), not bad for the last day of September.

I don't think I'll do a mud pack, I'll hug a vegetarian if I see one, I thank translators.  It's National Day of Truth and Reconciliation here in Canada, prayers for all those affected by the residential schools.

Interesting quote.

Not sure about the meal, I'll wait until I see a recipe.  The drink sounds good.  I'm sure I'll like the wine.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Enjoy the day!

• Like 33

Good morning.

It is partly cloudy and 56°F with rain forecast for this afternoon.

Thank you for today's daily fleet reports.

Language Interpreters do an important job.

Today's food and wine sound good.

I hope everyone is safe and well with prayers 🙏 offered where needed.

Never been to today's port so photos gratefully received.

• Like 26

Good morning friends!  What a beautiful moon out in the sky today!  It is 58F here and clear.  Later we will see 84 and sunny skies.  A great Saturday!

Thank you Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  Not sure I'd like a mud pack and I don't personally know any vegetarians to hug.  Good for the translators, they have their own day!  An interesting quote by C. S. Lewis.  What is lasagna soup?  That is the question dear Debbie @dfish will answer for us.  I hope someone will enjoy the bourbon punch because I don't think I would.  The sauvignon blanc wine would probably be nice.  Congrats to the Grand Old Opry.  Funny the other two days in history refer to ether and ethernet!  Thanks to Debbie, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for their F&B reports.

Prayers for our Care list folks especially Baby Murphy and family, Steve and Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser, and all the spouses of Dailyites who are in poor health.  That goes for the Dailyites, too.  Also for DB and friend's DB Mark. 🙏 It is that friend's birthday today so happy birthday wishes to her. 🎂 Three cheers to the Celebration list folks and I hope the cruisers are having a wonderful time.  🥂🚢  Good luck to everyone preparing for a cruise, too.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for keeping the lists updated for us. 

Our port this morning is Suva on Viti Levu Island, Fiji.  We've had that port three times previously on Nov. 26, 2021, March 25, 2022 and September 6, 2023, only 3 1/2 weeks ago.  However due to unknown reasons the September 6, 2023 Daily and Fleet Report was removed from Cruise Critic and we no longer have it to post a link to.  That is unfortunate because that was my wedding anniversary and I received so many lovely warm wishes from everyone and I will never get to re-read that day here on the Daily.  I have no photos from Suva as I haven't been there before.  Here are the links to the first two dates mentioned above.

Hoping everyone here stays safe and well, and that you have a wonderful weekend.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors.

Port of call is Fiji.  Never been there but have drinkin plenty of their water! 😀

And it’s National Mud Pack Day. Tried this once but instead of mud tried a cement/mortar mix. That was a mistake. Had to use a jackhammer to remove it.

• Like 12
  • Haha 12

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! Another wet morning. Bindi has resigned herself to not being able to wait for a dry spell. So we walk in the rain - as long as it is not a torrential downpour. I certainly haven’t had to add water to the pool this week & surprisingly the temp is still 85! Getting a bit cool, but tolerable. 

Vanessa, thank you for finding & sharing our happenings. Praying that you will find an answer to your pain. I have lots of things to do to keep me busy today. Friends are joining me for dinner this evening. Luckily most of the prep will be under cover. I just need 5 dry weather minutes to get out in the backyard & cut a flower for the table. 

IMG_1787.jpeg.99a0cf4229f8942da35faafd6e5c99c0.jpeg

IMG_1781.jpeg.1908642a739982cbf2f3d0b813a9a6d1.jpeg

IMG_4022.jpeg.4d3159806c62a57fa737f855093f4701.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @smitty34877 Terry, at the risk of this sounding “routine”, keeping you, Tana, your extended families & support teams in my prayers. I hope you find a new aide SOON. And it is a great one that stays.

Cheers to all who are celebrating. @Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, I hope you & Steve got a great night’s sleep and that every day is better. 

I hope we each find something to bring a smile to our face today. 

Matahiwi Estate Sauvignon Blanc 2022

I used the 2022 vintage of this New Zealand SB, because it will be easiest to find & had the most info available for me to use. I definitely need to try this one, it sounds delightful. And I believe I can find it!  Available from a decent number of distributors with prices starting at a reasonable $12.99.

Vintner’s notes

This vibrant, aromatic wine has flavours of gooseberry and limes, with a lively finish. We love to drink it with seafood and pasta dishes and delicious summer salads. No cellaring required.

We have several different blocks of Sauvignon Blanc where we use various canopy management techniques to provide us with a range of complex flavours from the grapes.

The focus in the winery is to capture the pure fruit flavours that come from the vineyard whilst adding complexity through our winemaking efforts to provide a multi-dimensional wine. This is achieved by tank fermenting the juice using yeasts that are able to ferment to low temperatures – preserving the essential fruit flavours.
Awarded 94pts Points by Cameron Douglas MS
Awarded 90pts by James Suckling
Awarded 92pts  Points by Wine Orbit

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 6

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Baby Murphy post-surgery, on vent, unstable

HAL Sailer’s DH hospitalized with pneumonia and afib

Quartzsite cruiser’s DH Steve’s post-shunt placement

Lady Hudson’s DH Bill with bronchitis

Tbay’s DH recovering from pneumonia

RIP Diane Feinstein

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Recovery from Wildfires in Maui, Canadian/US wildfires

Citizens of Ukraine

From the Rotation:

Catmando with cancer recurrence, on immunotherapy

StLouisCruiser’s friend’s DB Mark with bile duct cancer

Tana with pulmonary issues, needing more oxygen

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Cruzn Single (Mary Kay)!

Bon Voyage Ichiban Nekko (Cat & Dave)!

Bon Voyage WannaSea (Sue)!

Cruzin Terri feeling better

RMLincoln getting an apartment in a new retirement community

Mamaofami’s DH Sam home from the hospital

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Nickelpenny (Noordam Oct 1 to Oct 8, Wine Country & PNW)

1 day for Live4cruises (Westerdam Oct 1 to 28, N.Pacific crossing & Japan Collector)

2 days for Lindaler (Volendam Oct 2 to Nov 22, Tales of the South Pacific)

7 days for Kazu (Rotterdam Oct 7 to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn)

7 days for 0106 (Rotterdam Oct 7 to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn)

7 days for Cunnorl (Zaandam Oct 7 to Dec 19, 73d Grand South America & Antarctica)

Haljo1935 (Carnival Venezia to Sept 29, B2B, NY/Canada/NE), SusieKIslandGirl (Noordam to Oct 1, Great Alaskan Explorer), tupper10 (Noordam to Oct 1, Great Alaskan Explorer), Oceansaway17 (Celebrity Summit Oct 2, Boston, Maine & Canada), ocean sounds (Royal Princess to Oct 2, Vancouver to Honolulu), Vmax1700 (Rotterdam to Oct 7, Jewels of the Baltic), WannaSea (Koningsdam to Oct 7, AK Inside Passage), Mr. Boston (Oosterdam to Oct 8, Med Tapestry, Greece & Adriatic Antiquities), Ichiban Nekko (Zuiderdam to Oct 10, The Atlantic Coast),  Cruzn single (Zuiderdam to Oct 10, The Atlantic Coast) and Rafinmd (Queen Mary 2/Crystal Serenity to Oct 13, NE, CA/Quebec City to NY)

• Like 24
  • Thanks 15

26 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

IMG_4022.jpeg.4d3159806c62a57fa737f855093f4701.jpeg

I LOL’d at this one.  It’s exactly what happened to me when I was looking for Ivan after getting the couch cover.  It’s the same colour as him, nearly.  😂 

@cruzn single @Ichiban Nekko @WannaSea Bon Voyage!

have a great cruise and a WONDERFUL time 🙂 

IMG_1205.thumb.jpeg.530a732266a5468f204fbf1520b0366f.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  3 great days but I'll especially celebrate National Truth and Reconciliation Day making me pleased to be headed for Canada.

Love the Lewis quote.  3 great days to celebrate and where would we be without the ethernet.

I know I've been to Suva on Crystal.

Thinking especially of @HAL4NOW,

The lasagna soup sounds interesting.  My alternative is Chilled Banana soup, Lamb chops, and Lemon Torte, my first dinner last night in the Princess Grill.

dishes29.thumb.jpg.632af42fdfcbaa9b6e3350451a921c3c.jpg

I'll probably be less engaged in the Daily as more of my internet will be with my current trip.

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3

Good morning. Currently 70 degrees and will reach 91 later on. Our front door and entryway looks so much better. We found a gem in this painter and have already asked him to do some other projects around the house.

image.thumb.jpeg.fae04cf265216bf3c26b28d40bbba838.jpeg

A neighbor is coming over at 9:00 AM to help put a new outdoor fan on our patio. So we are doing some sprucing up around here The houses in the neighborhood that go on sale usually sell within 48 hours. Hard to comprehend that our house would sell now for three to four times more than what we paid in 1995. Florida gets approximately 1,200 new residents per day so housing is in demand. In our area they are running out of land to build as so much land is military bases.

It’s getting nearer to our Seabourn cruise and we are excited for a new cruising experience. Trying something new has really enhanced our cruising experience. 

Last night we enjoyed two small grilled fillets and we split a baked potato along with a salad. Oh did I mention a fine bottle of red.

Thanks for the Fleet report. I feel the need for a cruise. Have a great weekend everyone. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.186f869ff99e585c4932483886c61a4c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.24b1b371b417d7c5110402c44b6c4913.jpegimage.jpeg.5358a4e7e89d9ad61fe7337502193a19.jpegimage.jpeg.3f95d5e0319037e5e2395a619491bee2.jpegimage.jpeg.92043975d78864391932f70f3cd4fe0b.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 28

Good morning,

It will be another warm day with a high of 92.  I will do my walk this morning and go to the morning flag football game. DGS likes it ok but loves his soccer. He is in a great soccer league that concentrates both on fun and skills. At 5 and 6 fun should front and center. 

I think we will be going to todays port on the GA cruise. There are so many ports and some changes. I need to pull out my itinerary and work on that some more. 

I wish I knew more about Murphy. I usually get an update on the weekends. There has been debate about weaning vent before weight gain. Prayers for others in need. 

Happy cruising to all and have a great day. 

• Like 26

Good morning.   So many of our group with illness and other problems so prayers for them.   @Quartzsite Cruiser  I hope that your DH had a good night and you both got some rest.   @smitty34877 Prayers for your DH and for Tana.  Prayers for you so that you can stay strong through this and can find an aide for Tana.   @JazzyV  So sorry to read you are dealing with health problems, prayers for a pain free day.   Prayers for baby Murphy and her family.   Prayers for @marshhawk for your DH and for you to stay well through your trials.   Prayers for the people of Ukraine.  

I look forward to today's photos of Fiji, a place I would love to visit.   We are going to have a day of yard work, it has dried out and I can work on dividing iris and potting some for the 2024 plant sale,   I hope my neighbor takes some.   He was diligent coming over in May to taking photos of what they look like.  When I planted them they were little pieces I brought back from the cabin several years ago.   We have a lot of warm days coming up so I hope that they can root properly for the winter.   Everyone have a nice day.   Nancy 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful day here. Cool in the morning and will warm to 90 this afternoon. ONE more sleep before I fly out of Mobile to San Diego. This will be a long day. All the chores are done and plants are taken care of. I had dinner at a new place last night with my sons and will talk to my daughter tomorrow before I head to the airport. Thanks for the well wishes. I really hope it's a peaceful trip. If the internet is as good as some are saying I should be able to check in fairly often. 

• Like 26