Reportedly, most of the sales staff is now overseas

NutsAboutGolf

Sadly a sign of the times. My heart goes out to those who have lost their jobs. I hope my UK contacts are safe…

I guess if this is the case we will get loads more ‘basic’ question on CC as unknowledgeable reps encourage new cruisers to spend their cash…. 

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Sadly a sign of the times. My heart goes out to those who have lost their jobs. I hope my UK contacts are safe…

I guess if this is the case we will get loads more ‘basic’ question on CC as unknowledgeable reps encourage new cruisers to spend their cash…. 

Royal moved all its reservations staff out of the UK years ago and I was amazed when X didn't do the same. Depending on when you call X's system regularly puts you through to reservations in the Caribbean instead of the UK. I suspect the only staff who will remain in the UK office will not be handling general bookings. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

If it turns out to be true, at the end of the day it doesn’t affect that many people as because most would book online or use a TA

IMG_0445.thumb.png.4bd5829e6b4a20b0594780d6cb4c4756.png

We search for want we want to book online.. although not that easy on the Website. But we always call  in to book the  cruise. To date the reps in US or Jamaica etc , always  have been helpful and find great cabins and good deals.  Glad we booked recently before this apparent change.

We will be making final payment later this week on our Ascent cruise. Hope it can still be done by calling in to the reps. 

Next we may be forced to chat with bots..a useless endeavor.

Wonder if CAP CLUB reps were also let go.?.They usually assist in applying cred card  points to  OBC.  

Edited by hcat
  • Like 3

Nothing surprising.  This is what having a great TA makes you bypass.  Not a big box one.  Been using 2 different people for over 20 years. Only time I call celebrity is when I want to upgrade my Classic Pkg to premium.  I think they actually would do that for me also.  Never have had any discrepancies problems with reservations, I know it has happened but there has been need of no interaction with me as its handled by the TA.  The only thing I will book on my own is Air, and most of those call centers are overseas accept some of the local air ones I fly but usually can get it done easy enough online.  

• Like 5

Many have said a TA is the only way to go.  I couldn’t agree more. I have wondered why people book directly with the cruise line when more perks (obc) are often available via a TA. As @bikerunner pointed out, hard working, reputable TA’s will handle everything. Even big box TA’s have been invaluable to us in the past. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I tried a TA twice and did not have good results.

Same here - starting to wish I had a good one now. I don't want to deal with call centres overseas. 

My husband's entire department was outsourced to another country, shall we say the results are terrible. He also has to call Verizon to sort out lines for work and the help is in Asia - I hear him on the phone it takes a lot for him to get frustrated and he HATES calling because it never quick, never good answers and takes multiple times or hours to get anything done.

• Like 1

I usually book directly with Celebrity, while onboard the ship. I never have the booking(s) transferred to the TA on record. Then when I get home I call a couple of online TAs I've used to see who can sweeten the offer. Lost a great local (small independent) TA 2008. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, the penguins said:

... Depending on when you call X's system regularly puts you through to reservations in the Caribbean instead of the UK. I suspect the only staff who will remain in the UK office will not be handling general bookings. 

Yes, calling from Canada I've reached many agents in Jamaica.  While the agent was fine (great actually) the connection was terrible, the line kept cutting in and out and finally dropped totally.  Called back and got a different agent but it was again the same issue and and I surprised them by saying are you in Jamaica (as I knew from the first contact) because this second call was also extremely bad connection and kept cutting in and out, at least this time they took down my contact detail and called me back when it ultimately disconnected like the first call.  Maybe working in same office? ... not sure if they work from home.

My recollection is this was a bright and early call on my end from the East Coast (AST).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, the penguins said:

Royal moved all its reservations staff out of the UK years ago and I was amazed when X didn't do the same. Depending on when you call X's system regularly puts you through to reservations in the Caribbean instead of the UK. I suspect the only staff who will remain in the UK office will not be handling general bookings. 

We have always had named contacts to make our bookings with and to follow up any issues/concerns. Are you suggesting that Celebrity UK as a contactable source for UK cruisers may go?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I tried a TA twice and did not have good results. We lost our cabin once because final payment was not submitted to Celebrity.

That is unfortunate.  I can understand why you would be reluctant to use one again, especially if you have CVP.  

46 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

Same here - starting to wish I had a good one now. I don't want to deal with call centres overseas. 

I encourage you to try again.  Broaden your search.  Good TA's are out there and once you find one, it can be life changing...well maybe that's a little melodramatic 😊.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Check the HAL forums, apparently they are also outsourcing.

I prefer booking online so I can see exactly what I’m getting, why involve a middleman for a little extra OBC?

Plus the concerns of T/A’s financial stability.

I respect all others to choose to book however they wish.   I just wanted to point out a couple things from my personal experience.

1.  The financial stability of most  T/A's are not of concern as they book directly on Celebrity's System and all Credit Card Payments are process by Celebrity

2.  My agent offers in the range of 8-9% as a RF OBC and I often receive $1,500 - 1,800 OBC which I don't consider a "little extra"

Like others I usually book myself or while on board and then transfer to my agent for servicing.

Can you get an agent Yes.  Also I had an agent who I had used for over 10 years go bad on me after she got in financial trouble during and after covid and stiffed me on a B2B.     While it was unfortunate she forced me to fine the agent I've been using since cruising has resumed.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Check the HAL forums, apparently they are also outsourcing.

I prefer booking online so I can see exactly what I’m getting, why involve a middleman for a little extra OBC?

Plus the concerns of T/A’s financial stability.

T/A’s financial stability has near zero impact or risk. If the TA were to fold the reservation goes back to Celebrity. 

OBC can exceed 10% and tips can be included through the end of 2025 deployment. Also refundable deposits at no additional cost. That adds up quickly. 

• Like 2

Price transparency is the future of boards like this and others, as the cruise lines benefit for keeping it hard to pin down. 

Despite the cutbacks and riding on past reputation, many of the current deployments are full or close for Retreat where booking nuances may have come into play.  So it's a good time for them to have cut their staff.  They got about 1.5 or more years fairly loaded up. 

We used them, and generally would have not had better sweeteners had we found an agent in a hurry (about 5 weeks from first cruise in Retreat, and then subsequently a Retreat room that we ended up with an excess of OBC, but those days are over). 

For future travelers:  Big box pricing should always be a benchmark, as should looking at a portal that shows all fare classes for the same exact room.  That becomes a good way to start to disaggregate inclusions (if the company has them), and then see how the current promotion gets to the same price or close. 

Now with changes to pricing and inclusions, I expect to see less FCC, OBC, and other more complex nuances that people want to make sure made it in the booking.  TAs are a great deal for the cruise companies because they handle the customer service and help with online booking that some customers may not be comfortable with, but even that is becoming more commoditized.  And, who has the time to find and speak with a TA or any phone rep?  The process has got to become more efficient regardless of who is providing it. 

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Heard dogs barking, baby crying, and rooster crowing on more than one call.......yes, working from home IMO.

I mean I can't judge, I have dogs that like to join my meetings. Typically they are better behaved than my husband. I have to remind him, if the door is shut it means do not come in - this is after I was interviewing someone and he decided to my hide and seek with the dogs in my office 🙄

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, chemmo said:

We have always had named contacts to make our bookings with and to follow up any issues/concerns. Are you suggesting that Celebrity UK as a contactable source for UK cruisers may go?

I am not suggesting there won't always be a UK number to call but that doesn't mean the staff will be based in the UK.

Do you perchance book in a Suite? if so perhaps that's why you get a dedicated person to handle your bookings.

Regardless of the above X''s decision to only have an E class ship instead of an S class one in Southampton has already made it very unlikely that we will be cruising with X in 2024. The new prices (roughly double that of Princess) make it practically certain that we will be looking elsewhere.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cap_D said:

For future travelers:  Big box pricing should always be a benchmark, as should looking at a portal that shows all fare classes for the same exact room.  That becomes a good way to start to disaggregate inclusions (if the company has them), and then see how the current promotion gets to the same price or close. 

Big box pricing frequently (if ever?) doesn’t include group rates or accurately reflect what would be included. A site that shows you Group X pricing would be the benchmark. TA’s do not have the ability to create their own pricing. It’s either the prevailing rate or group rates. That’s it. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

This is an interesting discussion that I would not have been interested in 2 days ago. How does one go about finding a TA vs a big box store?  I know names cannot be mentioned but where do you start?

Asking frequent cruisers you may already know or that you meet onboard.  That is how I found the 2 that I currently have bookings with

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Asking frequent cruisers you may already know or that you meet onboard.  That is how I found the 2 that I currently have bookings with

1.  I thought it wasn’t permitted to mention TA names on Cruise Critic

2. I think Princess has done this outsourcing to India already and have had 2 bad experiences with them.  Reason is poor English comprehension and no authority to do anything in case of Princess screw ups

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I tried a TA twice and did not have good results. We lost our cabin once because final payment was not submitted to Celebrity. Started working with CVP and have been very happy with the service over 25 cruises. 

we had a good TA but cruised more than she did and  ended up knowing more about the ships ..she would call us for info.

Very happy with the Cruise Planners but may need to start with a TA..connected with someone new recently..we'll see what happens ahead! 

Not all.outsourced call centers are bad..but prefer ones in my time zone!

• Like 2