Another thread about tipping thoughts and customs - Not how much $$ people tip

Joker54

17 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

My view is that these staff work way harder and longer than I ever did for far less money (and I worked hard, for often long hours!) So I will always tip even more for the excellent service I normally get. I don't vary extra tip amounts by size of room or amount paid, but rather by service provided. 

So I first want to say that we always tip extra when the service warrants it, but it is not a huge amount like 100+ or something, but extra. We have even given a bartender an extra 10 at the end of a cruise for just being super nice and providing great service.

The thing that always bugs me is that they are being paid way less. Compared to what I make in the US, for sure. But we have talked to more than a few people, and some are working hard now to retire early, because their cost of living is so much lower where they live. We had a server that had owned one convenience store back home where his mom and wife worked at and planned to buy another and retire from active work in his 40s. I know I am not doing that. Could they be paid a bit more to lessen the tip burden, sure. Should they be paid the same wages as workers in the US, not sure there really is a good answer here.

15 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

So I first want to say that we always tip extra when the service warrants it, but it is not a huge amount like 100+ or something, but extra. We have even given a bartender an extra 10 at the end of a cruise for just being super nice and providing great service.

The thing that always bugs me is that they are being paid way less. Compared to what I make in the US, for sure. But we have talked to more than a few people, and some are working hard now to retire early, because their cost of living is so much lower where they live. We had a server that had owned one convenience store back home where his mom and wife worked at and planned to buy another and retire from active work in his 40s. I know I am not doing that. Could they be paid a bit more to lessen the tip burden, sure. Should they be paid the same wages as workers in the US, not sure there really is a good answer here.

I was a secretary in college making not much money.  Then in IT making not so much at first.   So I’m sympathetic but I also realize that compensation is not the same in every job.

The thing about wages on cruise ships, are any of these people forced to work with a gun at their back?  How much do we raise cruise fares to pay employees say $35/hour?

Edited by zitsky

32 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

Almost to a person, every crew member I have talked to tells me they can make more on their 6-7 month or so contract than they can working year round at home.  

• Like 2

I tip my steward always and the rest is dependent on service. Tipping culture is a little less crazy in Canada and I take into consideration my prepaid gratuities. My first cruise I had planned to tip my waiter but hated my experience in the MDR so much that I left no tip, this year the team was amazing and we made sure to tip them well. When the ship is busy I tip bartenders more just so I make sure I’m not being ignored. 

• Like 2

As part of Elite benefit we can enjoy complementary drinks from specific menu from 5 PM-7 PM.  If one does not tip does Celebrity offer any tip to the server as part of this offer?  We do tip each time but hope that the server does get something as many do not seem to tip.

Also we last sailed on Summit and had same table each night in MDR.  We ended up actually enjoying dining with the two tables next to us.   Past years when having same table each night we would all offer a tip at the end of the cruise.  On Apex we will be dining in different non-specialty dining rooms.  Should we tip the servers each night?  Last time we did not and am thinking this was not proper.

Any advice is appreciate.

I think people who worry about overtipping are needlessly concerned. If someone makes you happy, and if you like to make them happy in return, tip 'em and enjoy knowing you have helped them out.

Some posters in these types of threads seem intent to make sure nobody gets too much income compared to "back home" and reduce it because the crewmember's COL is low. (Not talking about OP, who is expressly not asking about amounts.) Kind of a reverse noblesse oblige: don't let "the help" go beyond their station. 

4 minutes ago, dazey said:

Past years when having same table each night we would all offer a tip at the end of the cruise.  On Apex we will be dining in different non-specialty dining rooms.  Should we tip the servers each night?  Last time we did not and am thinking this was not proper.

Assuming you're leaving your autogratuities in place, there's no "need" to tip every night. The food service tips appear to be pooled, so everyone shares. That is "probably" true of cash tips, although there are reports in this and other threads of people getting to keep cash handed directly to them, and by name gratuities on the additional gratuity form. If you want to give more, that's fine, but I wouldn't worry too much.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

Surely pre paid gratuities have been put in place to ensure staff are tipped.

We pay no extra as we’ve already paid.

That would be 100% correct.  There is no obligation to tip more. Do or don't, it is strictly voluntary and should be of no bother to anyone else.        

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Almost to a person, every crew member I have talked to tells me they can make more on their 6-7 month or so contract than they can working year round at home.  

Some even better than that, you are correct in this.  Yes it is very hard demanding work but they do it because where they live, and there family lives they are making so much more overall.  I know this from when I ran resorts and we had to bring in foreign contract workers to help over the different seasons.  We supplied housing meals for when they were working etc.  Forgot what country, a couple of my contract workers made for the 4 months more than they could make in over a year in there country.  

Edited by bikerunner
added info

4 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

I have an employee who's cousin worked on a cruise ship for a couple of years, he went home and bought 2 factories he now runs because of the money he had made in that time.

I'm not saying that happens for everyone but I think sometimes we're comparing apples to oranges (our pay and cost of living to theirs is not the same).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zitsky said:

I was a secretary in college making not much money.  Then in IT making not so much at first.   So I’m sympathetic but I also realize that compensation is not the same in every job.

The thing about wages on cruise ships, are any of these people forced to work with a gun at their back?  How much do we raise cruise fares to pay employees say $35/hour?

35$ an hour is a lot of money. I know a lot of young engineers that don't make that. Could be where we live too. Living in the midwest sucks, because you can't move east or west coast due to the change in cost of living. Coming from the coasts you can get some some great deals on houses and bank some money moving to the midwest. 

1 hour ago, Lena11033 said:

I have an employee who's cousin worked on a cruise ship for a couple of years, he went home and bought 2 factories he now runs because of the money he had made in that time.

I'm not saying that happens for everyone but I think sometimes we're comparing apples to oranges (our pay and cost of living to theirs is not the same).

Be careful if offers to sell you some land in Florida.

Edited by weregoingcruising
correction

There will always be someone making more than you or less.  True on a cruise ship same in life.  It would be nice if everyone had the same wage regardless of job but I’m not sure that is practical.

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1

We always tip the room steward, butler if we have one & waiters. Usually tip a bar steward or pool attendant if the service has been good. Likewise the sommelier if service is good. Not great amounts though.

At home usually tip hairdressers, taxis and waitresses. Never in a bar or coffee shop. 

Recently went on holiday to Italy with in-laws who were averse to any form of tipping.Found this uncomfortable. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mayleeman said:

I think people who worry about overtipping are needlessly concerned. If someone makes you happy, and if you like to make them happy in return, tip 'em and enjoy knowing you have helped them out.

That's the best post on " tipping ", and exactly what we do.

Being non-drinkers, and don't stay in a suite---- It's our pleasure to tip our cabin Steward, Waiter, Asst Waiter, and Maitre'd "if" he/she ( Maitre'd ) did something extra ( have a meal prepared for us that is not on the menu )--- never ahead of time, always on the last day of the cruise and thank him/her for their excellent service.

What's a few extra $$ in the overall cost of the cruise?

If I posted my thoughts about " I prepaid my gratuities and don't tip any extra ", or  " I remove the gratuities and tip who I want ", or " In my Country tipping is not , etc etc " my post would be deleted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, zitsky said:

There will always be someone making more than you or less.  True on a cruise ship same in life.  It would be nice if everyone had the same wage regardless of job but I’m not sure that is practical.

So you think a surgeon should earn the same as a ditch digger?  I don't think of that as "nice".  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mike45LC said:

So you think a surgeon should earn the same as a ditch digger?  I don't think of that as "nice".  

Did you completely miss the part where I said “I'm not sure that is practical”?

Call me when your sewer line breaks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/18/2023 at 5:07 PM, Mike45LC said:

I am glad that the cruise lines have increased the range of people included in the tip pool, as opposed to the old days when we were given four (?) envelopes for Cabin Steward, Waiter, Bus Boy and Maitre De.  Maybe Wine Steward as well?  Cooks and pool-side staff and others should share, in my never-humble opinion.  I know that many disagree.  

The Guest Services people still have envelopes for those of us who wish to tip additional cash to various people, and I almost always tip extra for the cabin steward.  My wife loves to sleep late while on vacation, and she often does not vacate the cabin until noon.  This interrupts the cabin steward's schedule, and we recognize this by tipping him extra.  If we have the same dining room staff several nights, the service is often such that we wish to tip extra.  These are tipped extra with cash in an envelope (addressed to the steward/waiter by name) and a statement "this is for you for all the wonderful care you've given us."  I've always thought that that is enough for the tip to go to the individual I am tipping, and I think Jim's information is in accord.

As to bartenders and cocktail servers, I tip cash as the service is rendered, and I do not know (or really care) if the tip is pooled or individual.  I live in a tipping environment and would never even think of not tipping a cocktail waitress.  Despite the 18% (or whatever the number is).  But the skimpy uniforms that the cocktail waitresses in Vegas wear are far more likely to generate tips!  

Personal choice, personal philosophy.  I am blessed to be able to afford to be generous.  So I reward great service above and beyond the auto-gratuities.  

Very interesting re the  envelopes. We have been told several times if the tip goes into an envelope, that person must turn it in to be pooled but  A discreet handling of cash given directly to a person, they could keep.   

On 10/18/2023 at 8:24 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Another thing we have done especially for a Host in Retreat is buy a nice local artisan silver or gold necklace from one of the ports.  

They have always loved the special gift.   One which we have sailed with many times, pulled it out of her blouse when we arrived and said did you see the lovely necklace one of my favorite guests gave me.... Then gave us a big hug and said she always thinks of us when she puts it on.

Very nice touch Jim!

We also like to do something in addition to cash. After a few days on board the DW have a discussion about those who go above and beyond. We will pick 1 or 2 crew members, try to find out which restaurant is their favorite. Then we approach the manger and see if we can arrange an evening where they can have some time off and we take them to dinner. It’s nice that you get some quiet time with them and learn about their home country etc. we have never been turned down. One cruise we were fortunate to have our favorite butler assigned to our suite and we took him to Murano. The 3 of us had a great time.

There was one retreat host who went out of her way to make our holiday the best so we bought her a gift certificate for the ship’s spa. The necklace might be the better gift as they have it forever and it sounds like you both really made her day great and that is awesome!

We assume (and hope we have it right) that most put the tip money away for something at home like buying a factory (mentioned elsewhere in this thread) and rarely spend it on something fun for themselves. Which is why we enjoy doing something outside of cash if that makes any sense.

We may change our tipping habits in the future, but will always do something special for a couple of crew members.

Cheers

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Joker54 said:

Very nice touch Jim!

We also like to do something in addition to cash. After a few days on board the DW have a discussion about those who go above and beyond. We will pick 1 or 2 crew members, try to find out which restaurant is their favorite. Then we approach the manger and see if we can arrange an evening where they can have some time off and we take them to dinner. It’s nice that you get some quiet time with them and learn about their home country etc. we have never been turned down. One cruise we were fortunate to have our favorite butler assigned to our suite and we took him to Murano. The 3 of us had a great time.

There was one retreat host who went out of her way to make our holiday the best so we bought her a gift certificate for the ship’s spa. The necklace might be the better gift as they have it forever and it sounds like you both really made her day great and that is awesome!

We assume (and hope we have it right) that most put the tip money away for something at home like buying a factory (mentioned elsewhere in this thread) and rarely spend it on something fun for themselves. Which is why we enjoy doing something outside of cash if that makes any sense.

We may change our tipping habits in the future, but will always do something special for a couple of crew members.

Cheers

We also found out our waiter loved Potato Chips -- so when in port we would always find some chips for him.  

During Covid we would always ask crew if we could bring back anything for them.  At the time they could not leave the ship for their entire contract.    We got some strange requests but always fulfilled them --- items included -  Cans on Sardines, a Tie Clasp, Toothpaste and Deodorant and KitKats. 

• Like 3

The OP asked for some observations from countries other than the US, so this Australian will offer an observation.  

When you raise the issue of tipping service staff many Australians get a little upset, because our wage system ensures that every worker is paid a minimum wage that we would consider a “living wage”.  

We are also not used to having additional charges added to the purchase price of any item - so in general whatever the advertised price of an item is that is the full price (as with everything in life there are some exceptions, I.e. state government stamp duty on property transactions, etc.)

For many years Australians objected to purchasing a cruise holiday then to find there was a daily charge once onboard for gratuities - many Australian’s view was “why don’t you pay your staff a proper wage?

At some point in the 2010s all cruise pricing for a cruise purchased in Australia became “all inclusive”, with gratuities included in the overall price.

In reality when we cruise (usually with Celebrity) we will provide a cash tip to serving staff who have provided us with service.  This is in recognition that they work extremely long hours for very poor remuneration; live in very cramped living conditions; and are at the mercy of short-term contracts that may not be renewed if they have had to deal with snarly passengers who like to complain.

For many Australians the whole idea of tipping is very alien to what we believe is our egalitarian ethos.  Make of this what you will.

Enjoy your cruising and be kind to every staff member you interact with.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, RichYak said:

Why aren’t you sure?

Because paying everyone the same wage so we never debate tipping again would probably require an increase in taxes which would not be supported by a majority of voters or lawmakers.

Hence it’s not practical.

Ok?

Tipping Officers - big NO on that one (they are salaried and make a nice living)

Tipping Room Steward and Wait Staff - Yes and we give extra tip by cash in an envelope with name on it (handed to them personally on the last day)

Tipping Bar staff - only if one seems to go out of their way to provide great service (otherwise they’re already getting tips from drinks)

As for pre-paid gratuities, we NEVER remove them as we know it’s part of their financial compensation, and they’ve all done their basic jobs well

Edited by Cruise till you drop
  • Like 1