Which restaurant should I choose for my daughter’s birthday?

hjz77

I’ll be traveling next month on Anthem of the Seas, my daughter’s birthday falls into one of the cruise date, I was thinking Wonderland, but anyone know if they had better birthday experience at other restaurant? My daughter will be 5

Do you have traditional dining in the MDR? If you do and you tell your servers that it's going to be your daughter's birthday they will go out of their way to make it really special for her, probably more so than at one of the speciality dining venues. You can order a birthday cake and they'll bring it to your table and sing happy birthday to her.

Obviously, I don't know your daughter but I would think that at 5, the food is unlikely to make or break the occasion for her so I'm not sure that paying extra for the speciality dining just for that reason is really necessary. In fact, I'm inclined to agree with @Mum2Mercury's suggestion.

If your daughter goes to the kids' club, be sure to let them know as they'll have all the kids sing Happy Birthday to her for sure.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, hjz77 said:

I’ll be traveling next month on Anthem of the Seas, my daughter’s birthday falls into one of the cruise date, I was thinking Wonderland, but anyone know if they had better birthday experience at other restaurant? My daughter will be 5

We enjoyed Wonderland but not sure it is a great choice for a 5 yr old birthday.  The venue is smaller and they really didn't have many in costume.  I wouldn't do Sorrentos either, that is a very busy venue with lots filling freestyle cups or passing through to Cafe Promenade.  I would pick Jamies.  That is a larger venue and you could see about bringing decorations that you could coordinate with the restaurant.  They have an outside area that isn't used much that might be an option or there are tables that are on the Via that they could set you up.  A lot depends on what your daughter likes to eat too.

3 hours ago, FionaMG said:

Do you have traditional dining in the MDR? If you do and you tell your servers that it's going to be your daughter's birthday they will go out of their way to make it really special for her, probably more so than at one of the speciality dining venues. You can order a birthday cake and they'll bring it to your table and sing happy birthday to her.

Obviously, I don't know your daughter but I would think that at 5, the food is unlikely to make or break the occasion for her so I'm not sure that paying extra for the speciality dining just for that reason is really necessary. In fact, I'm inclined to agree with @Mum2Mercury's suggestion.

If your daughter goes to the kids' club, be sure to let them know as they'll have all the kids sing Happy Birthday to her for sure.

We dine in specialty restaurants quite a bit. I have seen many birthday celebrations with the waiters singing to the birthday guest. There is a cake too that is presented in the specialty restaurants.

thank all for the 2 cents, I don’t plan go for specialty dining just for the special occasion, I was already tempted to try the wonderland anyway but I figure maybe I’ll pick the jamies or mdr. How’s jamie? we as asian family have never eaten any italian food besides pizza or pasta lasagna , any recommendation on particular mesmerizing dishes?

Edited by hjz77

16 minutes ago, hjz77 said:

thank all for the 2 cents, I don’t plan go for specialty dining just for the special occasion, I was already tempted to try the wonderland anyway but I figure maybe I’ll pick the jamies or mdr. How’s jamie? we as asian family have never eaten any italian food besides pizza or pasta lasagna , any recommendation on particular mesmerizing dishes?

I never like lamb chops until I had them at Jamie's...now I order time every time.

On 10/20/2023 at 10:10 AM, FionaMG said:

The wait staff will usually ask on the first day if you are celebrating any occasion while on the cruise. We quite often are on a cruise for my wife's birthday so we mention that. On more than one occasion, without any further discussion, a birthday cake has shown up at our table on her birthday. If you want to guarantee a cake will be there, order one but there is a chance one will show up anyway. At least in my experience.

17 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

The wait staff will usually ask on the first day if you are celebrating any occasion while on the cruise. We quite often are on a cruise for my wife's birthday so we mention that. On more than one occasion, without any further discussion, a birthday cake has shown up at our table on her birthday. If you want to guarantee a cake will be there, order one but there is a chance one will show up anyway. At least in my experience.

Yes, that is true, although the only time we had an actual cake show up was when I ordered (and paid) for one. On the other (admittedly few) occasions, we've had a slice of cake with a candle. 😂

To be very honest, that's usually plenty for us and would probably do the trick nicely for the OP's little one.

24 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

A full cake showed up in CK on Wonder for my MIL's b-day in June (and we even only asked our server for a candle in a slice early in the cruise).

5 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

Yes, that is true, although the only time we had an actual cake show up was when I ordered (and paid) for one. On the other (admittedly few) occasions, we've had a slice of cake with a candle.

That's more commonly what we have experienced.

On 10/20/2023 at 2:46 PM, hjz77 said:

I second @Ourusualbeach's lamb... I wasn't a fan until I tried it at Jamies.  The lasagna is phenomenal and DW loves their salmon.  It is her go to dish at Jamies.

If Anthem has a Mad Hatter in theirs, that is the one.  She'll love it.  Would a 5 yr old really care about the food?  The cake is the star and then the entertainment.  And if you ask, I'm sure they would go get some pizza, no problem.

Edited by BecciBoo