The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday November 4th, 2023

richwmn

Good morning from a mostly cloudy central Texas where it is 56F and feels like 55F.  The weather app says the humidity is 100% with a dew point of 56F.  Our high today should reach 75F with light winds and no rain.  I'm not exactly sure what will be on the agenda today, but hopefully we should be able to watch at least part of the Texas v Kansas State game.  HOOKEM HORNS! 🤘

I am not looking forward to the time change tonight.  I wish we would just do like Arizona and stay on standard time all year.

We will both celebrate candy day.  Community service is good, and using common sense is even better.

It's good to know that wasting time isn't really wasting time. That's one less thing to worry about.  😉

Chicken pot pie sounds good, but it probably won't be on our dinner menu today, even though I don't know what we'll be having.  I feel about the same with all the different mojitos as Paul @kochleffel does about the pseudo martinis.  Just quit messing up a good drink.  The red wine also sounds nice.

We visited Horta once in 2002 on Noordam III.  I'll retrieve my pictures in a few minutes.

Three good days in history.  We think it's a long drive from central Texas to Quartzsite, near the California border.  I can't imagine what it was like in 1841 going from Missouri to California by wagon train.

Hats off to Thomas Elkins for patenting the Refrigerating Apparatus.

Howard Carter's discovering King Tut's tomb in 1922 has always fascinated me.  We were lucky to see some of the treasures from the tomb in the Cairo Museum in 2003.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, good luck to Ren and the team today.  I hope everyone gets back home safely after the game.

@kazu  Jacqui, I'm glad you taught Ivan "home" and that it worked.  That must have been scary.

@seagarsmoker  Thanks for the beautiful sun rise pictures.

392925709_715180203978323_7409341629884615646_n.thumb.jpg.e0af8014a0aee7284e73e2eb1ec6987b.jpg

394358650_122118103736068261_4386118530481461225_n.thumb.jpg.febc379da5b058b8d2c93ebc5625a613.jpg

395367741_297821093066006_548670053670734267_n.jpg.e609101c467cbfbc6b4cd3b41d040e02.jpg

396325865_743140461159895_499519415426834354_n.jpg.04dd887f7f08bbb504e2059cc38e1f82.jpg

394569780_298684759599366_1127815036204802713_n.jpg.464ed771f2d0990ace8e59fe035ebe7f.jpg

396973701_1762522490855705_9067743439994455910_n.thumb.jpg.ac826cbfbd8979b40cb5aba204cb3ed2.jpg

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 17

Happy Saturday!  I salute community service day!  We all must do our part to make the world a better place.

I thought of my grandmothers when I saw the meal of the day.  Both of them were PA Dutch and made extraordinary chicken pot pie but probably very different from the recipes Debbie @dfish will post.  I don’t use a recipe but found one that is similarPA Dutch Chicken Pot Pie.  The homemade noodles and rich chicken broth make a perfect meal for a cool fall day.  I have seen a similar dish called Slippery Noodles in the south.IMG_8562.webp.9ef703bca5f3b8d9fea1375d6878a815.webpPositive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone!  

It is a nice morning here in mid-Michigan with a temperature of 45F and partly cloudy skies.  The high today is supposed to be 54F.  I'll take that!  We are dedicating today to being six years old.  We'll paint rocks for the fairy garden and go on a shopping spree to Claire's.  Aunt Jodie is coming over with her dog, Rita, to visit.  Last night we had an early birthday celebration with cake and presents.  Miss River was very surprised and loved all the attention.  We may go to a hayride and outdoor activities at a local church and then, we might not.  

@cat shepard Thank you for the maps of Hawaii.  I have been wanting to go there for decades.  I love the cruise idea as it eliminates a long, torturous plane ride.  We are going to have a blast!

Today's meal is a great one for cold weather.  I think I'd like @0106 Tina's better, but that is just me.  Sometimes I'm in the mood for pie crust.  To get started we'll take a look at Ree Drummond's recipe  https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a11686/pot-pie/

chickenpotpie1.jpg.72037080960a430cf5ab3ca0ba264adb.jpg

I think the Cognac in this recipe would be a nice touch.  https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/chicken-pot-pie.html

chickenpotpie2.jpg.95284424deda883ea4519959181a5eb7.jpg

Lastly, we have an offering from Ina Garten.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/chicken-pot-pie-recipe-2014304

chickenpotpie3.thumb.jpeg.78299b5c8681ea8b594cad672f586b50.jpeg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 11

Happy Saturday to All and thanks for the daily and fleet reports.  Great collection of days BUT I don't really eat a lot of candy so I must maybe not celebrate it as much as the other 2 days.  I have a hard time doing the quote but I try.  Not a fan of pot pies or messing around with Mojitos, wine might be good and never been to the Azores.  Wow, 3 interesting days in history!!

image.thumb.png.0debfc9095f6a539a63dde1acad50085.png

Living in AZ for probably 3/4 of my life, I have a hard time with "Spring forward, Fall back" stuff!  When I live in South Dakota, I was early for work once because I just couldn't get the stupid thing.  Now I just have to remember when I drive over to Cali that they are an hour behind us.  SMH!

Busy day today after an "exciting" day yesterday.  Going to a travel show so I hope to win something!!  (I never do).

Off to the gym.  Thoughts to the world and all on the care list.  Cheers to those celebrating.

Have a great Saturday everyone!

• Like 25
  • Haha 4

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  We don't spring forward or fall back, we just stay the same all year 'round and get used to the fact that in winter, we go to work/school in the dark and come home in the dark.   Our family in the province next to ours, does fall back, so we have to remember that if we want to phone them.  We don't have much candy in the house - we're into salty treats, and chocolate.  Both 
DH and I have done much community service over the years, and still contribute in different ways now that we're retired.  Common sense just isn't that common any more.

Another grey, cloudy morning out there for us and according to the forecast there's a 45% chance of rain or sleet at some point.  Looks like another day we won't be trying to put the Christmas lights on the house.  I really like today's quote.

@LAFFNVEGAS Bon Voyage; have a great time!

@JazzyVI hope you had a bit more rest last night.

@smitty34877 thinking of you and your family as you gather for your DH's celebration of life.

Not a lot happening here today, just picking up some groceries for tomorrow's dinner.  I'm cheating and buying a couple peach pies for dessert, as I just can't do a proper pie crust - I'll bake them up today so it frees up the big oven for the turkey tomorrow.  

I'd like to try the drink of the day, it sounds quite refreshing, am sure I'd like the wine, and to me any pot pie sounds like stew in a crust.  LOL  Because I'm making a big meal tomorrow with lots of cooking, I've decided we're having a simple dinner tonight - just grilled ham and cheese sandwiches and soup at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for all who are in need, especially those innocents involved in wars.  Cheers to everyone with celebrations.  

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 32

Good morning Daily-ites. 

Woke at 4 thinking about silly packing things. I have a detailed list so I don't know why I was worried about forgetting something. 

Prayers for those on Vanessa's well kept list. Sandi wishing Ren safe travels and a successful game. Roy I am excited to hear about your upcoming Rotterdam experience. I believe I saw @Himself on the 1st leg of our sailing. 

After going through our calendars for November it was decided to move our Christmas party to January. Just too much happening before we leave. Our friends all agreed so that will take a 2 day prep off my calendar,  but we still have Thanksgiving here on Tuesday for the 10 of us. 

It's fairly windy this morning but the sun is due out and we should make the Farmer's market and lunch without weather worries.

Wishing you a great weekend. Blessings to you!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  Slightly warmer at 38F this morning, while expecting 71 and more sunshine!  Beautiful daytime weather here.  Isn't it @SusieKIslandGirl who was going to her DS's house in Atlanta for a week?  Except for cold nighttime temps for a bit she is having wonderful weather and I hope she enjoys her weeklong visit to Georgia

Thanks Sandi-Yes, we're here in Newnan, GA, enjoying the wonderful sunshine. A nice change from the rain we endured on the way to the airport Thursday. We were quite wet by the time we reached the light rail station from the passenger ferry. It's funny though. It's 59F at home right now (3 hours earlier) but seems much warmer (54F) here. And I finally get to visit the aquarium on Tuesday. I can't wait to see the whale shark!

Have a great weekend everyone!

• Like 20

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

Daylight Saving Time Ends Tonight

Today is National Candy Day, National Day of Community Service, and Use Your Common Sense Day

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.--Marthe Troly-Curtin, Phrynette Married

Meal Suggestion for today - Chicken Pot Pie
Drink of the Day - Strawberry Lemonade Mojito
Wine of the Day - Marchese di Borgosole Brindisi Riserva DOC
Destination of the Day - Horta, Faial Island, Azores (Portugal)

Today in History:
1841 First wagon train arrives in California after a five and a half month and 1,730 mile journey over the Sierra Nevada from Missouri
1879 African American inventor Thomas Elkins patents the Refrigerating Apparatus
1922 Howard Carter rediscovers the intact tomb of the Pharaoh Tutankhamun in Egypt

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Basseterre St Kitts, Port Zante 08:00 - 17:00

Koningsdam

San Diego, California, San Diego, California05 Nov 16:00 - 22:59 07:00 ,16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Split, Croatia

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Bari, Italy eta 11-05

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Las Palmas, Spain eta 11/5

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Bonaire eta 11/6

Volendam

At Sea Destination Rarotonga Island, Avarua, Cook Islands NZ eta 11-05

Zaandam

Ushuaia, Argentina 14:00 - 20:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Salalah, Oman eta 11/5

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Norfolk Island, Australia 07:00 - 16:00

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Manila, Luzon Island Philippines eta 11-06

1104World.thumb.png.d4295278627884c003c824b87dd2ba35.png

Rich:  The Nieuw Amsterdam is in Ft. Lauderdale today.  I split from Split four weeks ago yesterday.

• Like 7
  • Haha 8

Bon Voyage @LAFFNVEGAS🍾

Bon Voyage Nautical Images – Browse 205 Stock Photos, Vectors, and Video |  Adobe Stock

Thanks for the daily and fleet reports @richwmn.  I will celebrate today with some sugar free candy.   An exciting day in history when King Tut's Tomb was opened and another blessing was the invention of refrigeration.   A good quote.   Thanks for the photos of today's port @StLouisCruisers and @Quartzsite Cruiser.   It looks like a beautiful destination.   I love chicken pot pie and the recipes Debbie found look delicious, we are having steak tonight.   I will pass on the minty cocktail but today's vino looks good. 

@JazzyV I hope you are getting some relief from your pain.  Thanks you for being so faithful with our Cares and Celebrations list.   @smitty34877 thinking of you and your family today with the remembrance for your late DH.  @kazu what a scare to start your morning.  I am so glad Ivan returned HOME!   Prayers for everyone needing them and for those in war zones, Israel, Ukraine and the innocents in Gaza. 

I am decorating the Christmas tree today while watching the Breeder's Cup.   A rare day for me I finished way ahead when I picked the winner of the Juvenile at odds of 19-1.    Have a nice Saturday.    Nancy 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Daily-ites. 

Woke at 4 thinking about silly packing things. I have a detailed list so I don't know why I was worried about forgetting something. 

Prayers for those on Vanessa's well kept list. Sandi wishing Ren safe travels and a successful game. Roy I am excited to hear about your upcoming Rotterdam experience. I believe I saw @Himself on the 1st leg of our sailing. 

After going through our calendars for November it was decided to move our Christmas party to January. Just too much happening before we leave. Our friends all agreed so that will take a 2 day prep off my calendar,  but we still have Thanksgiving here on Tuesday for the 10 of us. 

It's fairly windy this morning but the sun is due out and we should make the Farmer's market and lunch without weather worries.

Having your Christmas party in January sounds like a good idea.  Hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving meal with friends!  Thank you for the good wishes for Ren and team!

17 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Thanks Sandi-Yes, we're here in Newnan, GA, enjoying the wonderful sunshine. A nice change from the rain we endured on the way to the airport Thursday. We were quite wet by the time we reached the light rail station from the passenger ferry. It's funny though. It's 59F at home right now (3 hours earlier) but seems much warmer (54F) here. And I finally get to visit the aquarium on Tuesday. I can't wait to see the whale shark!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Ahh, Newnan!  Nice town down here south of Atlanta like we are.  You should see nice temperatures all week long.  You will enjoy the Atlanta aquarium.  We took the grandkids when they were younger (still young enough to live at home with Mom) and we really enjoyed it.  The highlight was the Dolphin show so I hope you can be there at the appropriate time for that.  One of the DGD's is studying Marine Biology now in Tampa, graduating next May so it may have been one of the reasons she decided to study it.  Enjoy your family visit!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
spelling
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Daily-ites. 

You ars so right.  I hope to meet you.  I am NOT the chaplain. I will be eating in Club Orange.

• Like 11

We are back from shopping in St Kitts. It is a very nice modern port and shopping center.  Only issue we encountered was non stop peeps wanting us to take a tour. Very nice breeze and mostly sunny all morning. 

I forgot to mention we went to the magician show last night.  Worst entertainment I have seen on a Holland ship. We left within ten minutes....

Updates - a couple of days ago I mentioned the ship stopped for about an hour. We found out that a passenger received a call that a family member had passed,  so they took them back to port so they could fly home.  

Yesterday, a passenger drowned in St Lucia.  

This has been the nicest port we have stopped at as of now. I will check in later. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 12

Morning all.  I have dug out my Cher outfit for tonight.  Just in case you are wondering what that is about.  Here in the midwest, there is not a lot of entertainment so for fun every year we all dress up as Cher, so we can sing, "If I could turn back time," while we are setting our clocks back for the year.  I just wish I didn't have to get up at 2 to do it.  You would think that they could pick a better time for us to do that.

• Like 4
  • Haha 20

Good morning from a sunny, chilly and boring Durango. There is certain sameness to the days.... but that probably is a good thing. It will be in the mid to high 60's today and this morning the dog walk felt positively balmy at 38. I am beginning to pull things together for my cruise.... will clear the back bedroom bed today so I can put somethings out where I can see. And I need to double and triple check my lists including all the things I have to do here in the next month or so. And, more stuff to be loaded for the thrift store.

Jacquie... I am glad Ivan knows "home". When Bandit pulled that stunt a few weeks ago I nearly had a heart attack and he found his own way home while I was out searching.

Susan

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

For those who have occasional motion sickness such as moi let me tell you about my motion sickness preventer.

I first learned about them when my daughter had morning sickness during her pregnancy and her nausea ended when her Doctor told her to get an Eme Term. Eme Term is an electrical device that you wear like a wristwatch. It’s FDA approved and works in over 86% of people who wear one. It is not recommended for people with certain conditions so one needs to read up. If I remember right one wouldn’t wear if one had a pacemaker.

Seeing I very rarely but on certain conditions have experienced sea sickness I purchased one for the World Cruise. I have only been able to try it a couple of times but it has worked.

Worn around the wrist with a dab of conducting gel you get a little electrical pulse on your wrist which sends a message to your brain and the brain tells the stomach not to get sick.

You charge like  any other electrical product.

So far it has worked for me.

Just FYI as an alternate to other motion sickness aid and devices. Just search Eme-Term for more info. I have no affiliation with this company or product. B.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 6

Good morning, 

@LAFFNVEGAS Bon Voyage! Have a wonderful trip. 

We're having a rather balmy day here with lots of wind and rain over the weekend and to start the week. Yesterday DS came over and we had a nice visit as well as knocked most of the jobs off the "son-do" list. The outside Christmas lights are up, hummingbird feeders filled, fans put away, and recycle was loaded in the car. I'm also invited to Thanksgiving dinner with my DIL's side of the family so that will be nice. After he left I made a trip to recycle (we don't get pick-up) and it was a pretty afternoon for a drive. Now it's time to get tea made for the neighbor coming down and to make myself presentable. I'm hoping to have the car stay parked in the driveway for the weekend and to get a few things done around the house. It's a never-ending job! 

Karen

• Like 21

Good morning all!

We've had a LOT of rain this morning.  At one time it came down so hard it reminded me of the "river of rain" named by the weathermen last year.

All good days, but today is also National Bison Day!  So in honor of my favorite Yellowstone animal:

NationalBisonDay.thumb.jpg.60c75d8fc2f7243a59fed88902780fb0.jpg

I would like the drink, pass on the red wine, and Chicken Pot Pie is one of my favorite meals.  I never use a recipe and always make homemade pie crust.  But not tonight, we've had a lot of chicken this week.  Horta will be our first port on our 42-day Ultimate Med and Atlantic Passage next fall.  Thank you Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser and Sandi @StLouisCruisers for the photos.  We haven't been there yet.   As of now we have a tour to a volcano planned.

DST has never bothered us, especially since we retired.  I guess we don't pay a lot of attention to what time it is.  🤣 

Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for putting our DGS on the Care list.  I hope you had a fairly good night, or at least better with the muscle relaxants. 

DD told us that there was barely a scratch on his wrist after the fall, but he seemed to be babying/favoring that arm so DSIL took a look at it and said it could be broken.  He put a splint on it and the x-rays showed it is broken.  So now we're waiting for the swelling to go down so they can put a cast on it.  

• Like 22

Good morning, again.  We went out for a drive-thru breakfast, followed by a stop at the auto parts store to get two engine batteries for the motorhome.  With very careful planning, including backing the car up as close to the motorhome as possible,  some how, I managed to get the batteries to the compartment.  With a boost from DH, we raised them a couple of inches and onto the tray.  They way about 60 pounds each.

We are relaxing now and watching the Texas v Kansas State game.  At halftime, we'll probably hook the batteries up.  Before DH moves the motorhome back in place, I'll get out the blower and blow the leaves and dirt from where the motorhome sits.

It has warmed up to 66F, and the sun is trying to come out.  It was very foggy, which explains the 100% humidity earlier.

@smitty34877  Terri, we'll be thinking of you and your family as you celebrate Lou's life.

@ger_77  Gerry, I hope your Ukrainian family enjoys the Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow.

@Seasick Sailor Joy, I bet you'll enjoy the Christmas celebration more in January when things aren't so busy.

@seagarsmoker  Thanks for the explanation about why the ship stopped for so long.  Losing a family member when your away is bad enough.  Glad the ship was able to help the family get home.  Sorry to read about the passenger drowning.  As a general rule, I skip the magicians and jugglers.

@luvteaching  Karen, it's nice you had a good visit with your DS, and got things checked off the to do list.  It is nice of your DDIL's family to include you at Thanksgiving.

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1