Rudi’s is going away

kirkc

5 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Have you tried Chef Morimoto lobster?? Enjoyed it 2 nights ago in MDR. $2520231129_174316.thumb.jpg.0a995d41daa46c566bb2cea3fef5492b.jpg

I had it on the Rotterdam.  Had to try it in the interest of science 😉   It was good but after a few bites became ok - the spice overtook the lobster and the coating was too rich with the lobster IMO.  It was good but too rich for me - the lobster in Sel de Mer was superior.

Yours looks less “treated” than mine was.  Hopefully it is being perfected ship wide.  glad you enjoyed it.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, kazu said:

I’ve done Rudi’s (pop ups & regular) a number of times.  Other than Koningsdam, it has consistently been my favourite specialty dining.  Food has been good and the Fruits de Mer is to die for.  Cooked perfectly (and I’m a Maritimer).

I will miss that appetizer a lot.

I agree with others - I think this is a mistake to replace it with Morimoto.  The menu is not that appealing for me and not different enough from Tamarind.

Put in a nice French restaurant like Jacques on Oceania or some other equivalent.

I'm with you 100%.  We looked at the menu and there was very little that appealed to us.  The Fruits de Mer appetizer was wonderful!   

• Like 4

During a conversation with the CO hostess on our recent cruise I mentioned how the menus in the speciality restaurants pale now in comparison to how they use to be.  I mentioned how Tamarind used to have so many more options and she replied that yes, it was like that and that the new chef Morimoto will be taking over for Rudi and that things will be changing.  Goodness knows that the speciality dining restaurants need a well-overdue overall.  They have become stale. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, albingirl said:

Agree. I loved it.  Maybe if HAL put in a restaurant like NCL has, Le Bistro, French, they would have a winner.  We are frequent NCL cruisers, as well, and they do have a wide variety of offerings.

Or......HAL could return to the traditional theme nights in the MDR. French night, Italian night, etc. They're festive and crowd pleasers, with the appropriate menus as keepsakes (I have many from past cruise lines). Wine selection reflects the nationality of the evening. Tables decorated with national flags,  No need for a new restaurant ! 

• Like 13

4 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

I think the term Asian food is too broad.

Agree.  It's like saying that "it is a European Restaraunt"

Big differences between French, Italian, and German food.....

🙂

The Morimoto By  Sea idea is way too similar to Tamarind.  This makes no sense. French, Mediterranean or possibly Latin would have been a better choice. Or non Asian themed fish restaurant since the want to highlight the fresh fish on board. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Rudy Sodamin also now has a restaurant on some Carnival Cruise Line ships.  I think they started sometime in 2021. It's called Rudy's Sea Grill.  I haven't sailed on Carnival but have read some blogs from people who were on board.  The food shown in the article looks really good.  So far Morimoto looks okay but as everyone mentioned it's redundant if they keep Tamarind.

Review: Rudi's Seagrill Restaurant on Carnival's Mardi Gras (cruiseradio.net)

~Nancy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/news/2023/november/news-1122023-holland-america-line-to-open-new-restaurant-morimoto-by-sea

Holland America Line is gearing up to open Morimoto By Sea, a new, exclusive dining experience aboard Nieuw Amsterdam opening on the ship’s Dec. 16, 2023, voyage, and the first stand-alone restaurant at sea for Chef Masaharu Morimoto. The restaurant will offer delicious, Asian-inspired dishes and beverages from Chef Morimoto, the cruise line’s “Fresh Fish Ambassador.” The menu will emphasize fresh fish dishes to reflect Holland America Line’s new Global Fresh Fish Program. Morimoto By Sea underscores Holland America Line’s commitment to providing guests with unforgettable gastronomic experiences on every cruise.

Morimoto By Sea will be located adjacent to the Tamarind restaurant on the Observation Deck. Guests dining at Morimoto By Sea can enjoy a multi-course meal that celebrates the cruise line’s fresh fish program and highlights the cuisine of Chef Morimoto. The menu also will include a selection of beef, chicken, vegetarian and vegan options. Guests who want to enjoy Morimoto By Sea can make reservations on Holland America Line’s Navigator App or on board. The restaurant carries a cover charge of $55 per person, plus an additional 18% gratuity ...

• Thanks 2

$64.90 per person for the new Morimoto By Sea.  At that price, I'm hoping it will be really special with impeccable service!!

I'll be watching for reviews.  🙂

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

I have a NA cruise in late February. Reservations can now be taken. Here is the sample menu file.

morimoto-by-sea.pdf 94.66 kB · 43 downloads

Thanks 🙂. I had seen the menu a bit ago.  I suspect I will pass.

A lobster’s taste overtaken by a curry sauce holds little appeal for me.

From the menu - Angry Lobster Pad Thai
maine lobster, rice noodles, Thai red curry sauce

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

The HAL press release says that Morimoto By Sea will be added to the Nieuw Amsterdam by Tamarind.  It would fit nicely as a replacement to the Tamarind Bar which, as I recall from some years ago, was extremely pleasant but very underused.  You can do a Google Images search for Nieuw Amsterdam or Eurodam Tamarind Bar for pictures.

There is no mention of it replacing Rudi's Sel de Mer on the Pinnacle ships, which seems to be just a rumor.  Granted, Rudi's is underutilized compared to when it opened, but that would change quickly if they dropped the price back.  That's a volume versus profit margin business decision.

2023-12-03_110545.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

No great loss for us. Ate there twice on the Nieuw Statendam this past Jan. and Feb. First time was pretty good, but the second time was a disaster because of a horrible waiter. He was more interested in waiting on the table next to us so he could speak French with them. Some of our food arrived cool as he didn't pick it up on time. It was embarrassing to us because we had friends with us and we had said it was worth the price in Jan. The Maitre'd got an earful on our way out

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well I think this is all going to take time to play out. Like others, I'm not sure there is a need for 2 Asian themed extra cost restaurants. If they are going to move on from Rudi's then whatever they put there should have a wide appeal, people will pay extra for unique tastes beautifully presented. Everything on the menu should be included in the cover charge, no upcharge items. I mean really, they are charging extra for lobster or steak or anything else on top of a $55.00 cover charge? You can get a lobster in the MDR for $25.00? a "Pinnacle" steak for $20.00. Our only HAL cruise didn't have Rudi's or Tamarind and if Pinnacle wasn't part of our HIA package I would have been totally underwhelmed at what we received if we had paid the normal cover charge. If you are charging $50.00 or more per person (above and beyond the meal in the MDR included in the fare) for a specialty dinner you better be able to cough up an outstanding meal with impeccable service. What exactly are you getting for the cover charge? Do they pay the staff more? Do they use better ingredients? (wouldn't those be covered in the cover charge?). There comes a point in time when the meal served should reflect the upcharge, if it doesn't you end up with empty restaurants.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

On 12/2/2023 at 1:57 PM, crystalspin said:

Just because the chef has a Japanese name, doesn't mean the offerings will be Asian-Fusion like Tamarind.

9 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

I stand corrected.

This will not take the place of Tamarind for us. Will not be paying even more for fewer choices that appeal to us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/2/2023 at 12:57 PM, crystalspin said:

Agree, I had been seeing and hearing that Morimoto (and Morimoto upsells in MDR) were in the seafood realm and therefore more in competition with Sel de Mer -- now it makes sense.

Just because the chef has a Japanese name, doesn't mean the offerings will be Asian-Fusion like Tamarind.

Have you seen the menua few posts back? It was definitely Asian

Jim

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 2:04 PM, cbr663 said:

During a conversation with the CO hostess on our recent cruise I mentioned how the menus in the speciality restaurants pale now in comparison to how they use to be.  I mentioned how Tamarind used to have so many more options and she replied that yes, it was like that and that the new chef Morimoto will be taking over for Rudi and that things will be changing.  Goodness knows that the speciality dining restaurants need a well-overdue overall.  They have become stale. 

I humbly disagree about the specialty venues.

Jim

On 12/2/2023 at 11:07 AM, Seasick Sailor said:

Have you tried Chef Morimoto lobster?? Enjoyed it 2 nights ago in MDR. $2520231129_174316.thumb.jpg.0a995d41daa46c566bb2cea3fef5492b.jpg

I was on Rotterdam and had this but it looked nothing like yours. There were four lobster tails, a small carrot, a piece of asparagus and I received a large bowl of plain rice along side of it. It was good but I would not order it again for twenty five dollars. Wonder why it was so different.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Niagarawine said:

I was on Rotterdam and had this but it looked nothing like yours. There were four lobster tails, a small carrot, a piece of asparagus and I received a large bowl of plain rice along side of it. It was good but I would not order it again for twenty five dollars. Wonder why it was so different.

Welcome home! Miss you here on the ship.

The lobster was very good. I was surprised see so many vegetables hidden under the tails. I was also given a bowl of rice. Kinda weird yeah?

• Like 1

Hi I miss talking to you too, yeah is weird that they just put plain rice with it. Kids looked like the vegetables on the entrees in main dining. I really liked the mount of lobster I was given. Got to say Canaletto was my favourite. I am unable to fit into my jeans now.

• Haha 2