Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

Even though we cruise a lot, I have always gotten seasick.  In fact, until last September, I took a Dramamine every day, whether I needed it or not.  In July 2023, I had a problem with my eyes and was diagnosed with closed-angle glaucoma.  I had never even heard of that before and apparently, have had it all along.  Prior to corrective surgery, I was instructed not to take several drugs, including anti-nausea meds.  Yikes!  

Although it should not be a problem anymore, I have avoided taking Dramamine since the surgery, and during 46 days of ocean cruising since August, I have not been seasick.

So far, so good, but I have Dramamine with me and will not be afraid to take it if I need to!  Fingers crossed!

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

@CSHS1979

Let John know I was thinking of him today.  Ever since he gave the advice to put the dough in the oven for a minute before preparing, I've been doing it and it works great!

image.thumb.png.cf105e9be45624e713a674f59898505d.png

That looks delicious!  I thought Bucky’s pizza looked amazing too!

IMG_1045.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, sunset seekers said:

Thank you Paula for posting these photos. We are enjoining following along with everyone.  Looking forward to seeing more when you have the time.

Thanks Rose!  Only two stops so far!  We love to see everyone’s posts, especially pictures too!  Pat has a great thread going!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

@CSHS1979

Let John know I was thinking of him today.  Ever since he gave the advice to put the dough in the oven for a minute before preparing, I've been doing it and it works great!

image.thumb.png.78e57c562ea46c101f425e8a5d0269c9.png

image.thumb.png.cf105e9be45624e713a674f59898505d.png

That’s exactly how we make pizza…..bake the dough for a few minutes before assembling it.

And we just had it last night as a matter of fact….we don’t buy pizza, we always make it at home, including the dough.

We're from NY and just can’t find good pizza in Florida where we live

• Like 5

1 minute ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

That’s exactly how we make pizza…..bake the dough for a few minutes before assembling it.

And we just had it last night as a matter of fact….we don’t buy pizza, we always make it at home, including the dough.

We're from NY and just can’t find good pizza in Florida where we live

I seldom like pizza other than what we make.  I grow garlic and tomatoes and use them to make the pizza sauce.   I also like roasting tomatoes and adding them to the pizza.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I seldom like pizza other than what we make.  I grow garlic and tomatoes and use them to make the pizza sauce.   I also like roasting tomatoes and adding them to the pizza.

We don’t even use pizza sauce anymore, we actually prefer just using a 14.5oz can of Cento crushed tomatoes that I buy online from Cento, they’re just the right consistency and very sweet and not acidic. Then we put our toppings on and lastly I sprinkle a seasoning on top that I got in Florence that I can’t get here and that adds just the right flavor.…..now I’m hungry again 😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CSHS1979 said:

Depends on how you count full. But way more than half

At double occupancy she holds 2000. We are at 1600. Royal told us months ago they were keeping occupancy at no more than 1800

Serenade of the Seas Ship Profile & Stats

• Cruise Line: Royal Caribbean International
  • Ship Type: Cruise Ship
  • Line Class: Mainstream
  • Registry: Bahamas
  • Year Built: 2003
  • Year Last Refurbished: 2012
  • Capacity: 2,476 passengers
  • Decks: 12
  • Gross Tonnage: 90,090
  • Length: 965 ft
  • Beam: 106 ft
  • Average Speed: 25 knots
  • Inside Cabins: 249
  • Outside Cabins: 824
  • Nationality of Officers: Norwegian
  • Nationality of Crew: International
  • Number of Crew: 884

1 hour ago, CSHS1979 said:

Depends on how you count full. But way more than half

At double occupancy she holds 2000. We are at 1600. Royal told us months ago they were keeping occupancy at no more than 1800

Yes but it's way easier to be negative if you don't use actual numbers.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Which is why I posted the actual numbers.😉

You posted Max capacity, that is lifeboat capacity.  The ship is full when all staterooms have passengers. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

You posted Max capacity, that is lifeboat capacity.  The ship is full when all staterooms have passengers. 

And according to RCL's own data their ships only generate a profit when 90+% of the cabins have an average occupancy of at least 2 passengers in them. The WC may be cash flow positive, but it is more than 500 passengers short of being profitable.

Edited by orville99

16 minutes ago, orville99 said:

And according to RCL's own data their ships only generate a profit when 90+% of the cabins have an average occupancy of at least 2 passengers in them. The WC may be cash flow positive, but it is more than 600 passengers short of being profitable.

I am not sure that the average figures hold true for this cruise.  While RCL included many items for full WC and 1/4 segment cruisers [drinks, grat, etc], the cost of the cruise was substantially more than typical.  . . . and as some proved you could buy the segments and the add-ons and save money. 

Also, they are going to lots of ports that passengers are not familiar with. If you pay this much for a cruise around the world, why would you skimp on excursions? 

There have been numerous comments by pax that while they usually DIY excursions, they do not feel comfortable doing it in some of these places.  Some of the excursions have been very spendy. i.e. the $1600/person for the trip to the falls from Buenos Aires.  Pax that took independent tours to the falls said theirs was much less. 

I feel comparing this cruise to typical cruises is apples to oranges.  JMHO

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas
  • Like 9

5 hours ago, orville99 said:

One of the two things I no longer have to shovel since we moved to Florida and retired😇

We have a shovel just to push off an inch or so of snow but sold our snow blower when we moved to Texas. 

5 hours ago, island lady said:

We are taking a beating...but not really that bad yet.  Getting my sea legs I guess.  😉

Hang in there. Thanks for updating us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

Ridiculously overblown.

The poster knew about it in advance, and it had to do with Brazillian immigration. Saw him on pier in Rio. He's back on ship now

FWIW, he wanted to spend extra time in Rio, his choice 

Media sites are using Tik Tok videos to write stories. I'm sure they all appreciate the extra views.

https://www.businessinsider.com/ultimate-world-cruise-passenger-reboards-after-days-brazil-trip-2024-1?amp

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Hang in there. Thanks for updating us.

Tomorrow mornings weather looks rough for them,  heading right into 35mph winds with 45 mph gusts Waves 17 ft.  38 degrees

Double up on the Meclizine.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

If @ace2542 is referring to the person in the BI article, he is not a TikTokker.  He is a regular full UWC cruiser who PREPLANNED to leave the ship for about a week, and then return.  He has returned. 

My I Phone newsfeed said he was a tik tok guy I am sure he is as well

14 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Cool, you will have a good view as to what is going on, Please take plenty of pictures. 🙂

John is headed to Thermal Spa soon. Great views up there

• Like 4

12 hours ago, orville99 said:

Which is why I posted the actual numbers.😉

12 hours ago, bretts173 said:

Yes but it's way easier to be negative if you don't use actual numbers.

The amount of single passengers booked is astonishing. Not like there are empty cabins all over the ship. 

Plus many cabins are being used for storage, additional staff, lecturers, medical, etc...

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Tomorrow mornings weather looks rough for them,  heading right into 35mph winds with 45 mph gusts Waves 17 ft.  38 degrees

Double up on the Meclizine.

Traveling around the ship is a challenge, especially for John, but no motion sickness so far

• Like 6

4 hours ago, pspercy said:

Anyone know ship's Lat/Lon ?

AIS stuff two days old & out of range anyway.

Not 100% sure, Google maps thinks we're in Buenos Aires,  but here is an approximate position based on another app we use

Screenshot_20240111_072805_Maps.thumb.jpg.e3967d7ea4ad1073e057da9ae5ab70c6.jpg

Screenshot_20240111_062535_Life360.jpg.f7443c9bba3a1d72331f1daa781d1d5e.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Rock and roll time gang!  😉  

So, here is one explanation of the rolling high seas...position.  Now at the very end of the tail.  Outside decks closed again.  Hang on Bucky!!!

20240111_043015.jpg

20240111_051046 (1).jpg

20240111_050939.jpg

• Like 23