LAFFNVEGAS Live from the Nieuw Statendam December 10, 2023

LAFFNVEGAS

27 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

We didn't receive any port information during our cruise last month.  I think that's been axed to reduce paper consumption.

On our 11-day cruise last month, we did receive port information for three of the islands. 

I was told "confidentially" that it depends on how many local businesses pay for the right to be included in the port map given to passengers. If they can make money on it, they print it, if not, they don't. As with everything else, it all has to do with generating revenue. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Years ago on the Veendam, the daily program included the name of port agent and phone number.

The port agent in Halifax at that time was a big help to my family. If my memory is correct, I don't think the port agent's contact info was included in the daily programs in the last few years. 

• Like 2

I run my photos through ImageShrink before  posting.  It gets them down to a lower resolution (XGA, usually) and prevents the issue CC has with large image files.  ImageShrink is an Android program, but there's bound to be an iPhone equivalent,

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cbr663 said:

We didn't receive any port information during our cruise last month.  I think that's been axed to reduce paper consumption.

We received zero printed port info on NS for either of the cruises just before and after drydock. We really made use of the maps (disregard the stores on them) finding them helpful for getting a lay of the land and a big picture of where we dock to judge travel distances.

Without the maps, we had to rely on the live port talks, which were very crowded. I took pictures when the maps were displayed during the talks.

• Like 4

As you can see we were up early to is morning watched us sail into Grand Turk.

Had a very good massage with a therapist who has been at the Spa for over 13 years and husband is in the Engineering Department for even longer. Her name is Maricel 

After the massage I walked through the Lido was surprised to see a section that would make up your yogurt parfaits. They had one that was a Chia seed with mangos which as excellent but I then added extra fruit and nuts and too it back to our stateroom where I made up a coffee from the espresso maker in the room.

Then we took off so see the shops at Grand Turk. It has grown quite a bit since we were last here it was on the Nieuw Amsterdam March  of 2011. That cruise we went to St Maarten instead of St Thomas.

After some looking around we headed back to the ship for some Dive In Burgers and fries, a beer for Tom and a Mango Margarita for me.

Tonight we have reservations at Tamarind.

Too funny just a bit ago saw James Cielen who is the Magician on board who is performing tomorrow night and Saturday night. 
He sat down with us for a while. We met in many years ago and have many mutual friend plus he lives not very far from us in Vegas.He is just on the Nieuw Statendam this week then to Seabourn for 3 weeks to Antarctica.

It was fun catching up with him.

IMG_5169.jpeg

IMG_5170.jpeg

IMG_5171.jpeg

IMG_5172.jpeg

IMG_5174.jpeg

IMG_5175.jpeg

IMG_5176.jpeg

IMG_5177.jpeg

IMG_5178.jpeg

IMG_5179.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Internet was down again but just came back up. 
I started with the Wasabi Cocktail, then had the Lobster and Shrimp Potstickers, then I had the Crispy Duck and The Trio of sorbet. I have to say I was very pleased with the Duck, I had this last on the Rotterdam in July last year and was not impressed. This was totally different and very delicious. 
Tom had his usual of two appetizers, the Tempura Shrimp and the Chinese Five Spice Baby Back Ribs, then had the Filet with out the Wasabi and he also had the Sorbet Trio.
I am also adding pic of Marcia’s dessert.

Overall we had a very good meal everything was very good this evening.

IMG_5184.jpeg

IMG_5185.jpeg

IMG_5187.jpeg

IMG_5188.jpeg

IMG_5189.jpeg

IMG_5190.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Since this is all wishful thinking on my part, I'm going to go all out. 😅

I'll start with a Cucumber Mojito,

Then a glass or two of Villa Maria SV with dinner

Shrimp Tempura,

Jewels of the Sea

Mongolian bbq lamb chops w/Dungeness crab fried rice on the side

and finish with the Exotic Fruits.

And now I'm stuffed. 😂

• Like 4

Greetings from Holland America Nieuw Statendam as we are approaching San Juan PR

Very rough seas and high winds, we have had this since last night. The Christmas Winds are a blowing. 
We all met for Club Orange Breakfast this morning but have to admit I am not impressed, my yogurt dish I always order with the chia seed and mango was not at all cold , actually warm and the yogurt did not come taste good. Then ordered French toast that was cold, the syrup was molasses and the ham and sausage was also cold and the French Toast all dried out. 
I am tempted to just eat in the MDR or Lido. 
Could not get them to give us a second mimosa or flag someone down to get it, nor to get second cup of coffee. We are far from impressed with Club Orange. 
We plan to have lunch in the Lido once the crowds disembark in San Juan. We are just staying on board.

As you can see from the pics some rough seas and very hazy.

IMG_5198.jpeg

IMG_5199.jpeg

IMG_5200.jpeg

IMG_5201.jpeg

IMG_5202.jpeg

IMG_5203.jpeg

IMG_5204.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Sorry @LAFFNVEGASyou are having a sub-par experience in CO dining room. We only ate breakfast there once & dinner twice as it was just too cold and the service was slow. But the food was good. For us, the food did not make up for the snail-paced service and nothing was making us forget the teeth rattling cold, so we mostly ate in MDR and specialty w/an occasional Lido thrown in.

I hope your experience improves and you are still able to have a great cruise.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Have you spoken to the manager? Commented on the Navigator App?  You have been very patient with the Club Orange dining room but your experience is not acceptable and someone who can do something needs to know about it.

• Like 5

Unless the $$$ makes sense for upgraded cabin I am inclined to use monies toward specialty restaurants especially with 50 percent discount.  Thoughts?

We are currently on the Koningsdam and had one breakfast and one lunch in DR.  On sea days we are having lunch in the Pinnacle.  The rest of the days NY deli or similar.  We have not been having dinner.  The exception is Tamarind on first evening and have Caneletto booked for tomorrow evening.  I understand skipping dinner doesn't work for all.  It is our attempt at TRYING not to gain too much weight. 

Lisa, I am wondering if the majority of future cruises will be on another line?  Enjoying your live report.  Thanks for posting.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Greetings from Holland America Nieuw Statendam as we are approaching San Juan PR

Very rough seas and high winds, we have had this since last night. The Christmas Winds are a blowing. 
We all met for Club Orange Breakfast this morning but have to admit I am not impressed, my yogurt dish I always order with the chia seed and mango was not at all cold , actually warm and the yogurt did not come taste good. Then ordered French toast that was cold, the syrup was molasses and the ham and sausage was also cold and the French Toast all dried out. 
Could not get them to give us a second mimosa or flag someone down to get it, nor to get second cup of coffee. We are far from impressed with Club Orange. 
We plan to have lunch in the Lido once the crowds disembark in San Juan. We are just staying on board.

As you can see from the pics some rough seas and very hazy.

That is a simply awful dining experience.  When we were on the Koningsdam they brought a pot of coffee to each table.  Are they not doing that for you?

• Like 2