The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday February 2nd, 2024

kazu

Feb 2

Slow cooker beef stew

I cut my meat and veggies into smaller pieces than either of these recipes show. I don’t like big chunks. I do cook my stew low and slow.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/14685/slow-cooker-beef-stew-i/

image.png.b36766f9145246abe40749a7cbffdc83.png

https://bellyfull.net/slow-cooker-beef-stew/

This recipe calls for the beef to be browned before putting it in the slow cooker. An extra step, but it does change the flavour and texture somewhat

image.thumb.png.f9e21787f79ef95a874df0b777e587c2.png

Edited by superoma
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 14

2 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Neither did RedneckBob!  So y’all have another year of me on this CC site! 😀

I think we can handle it.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Jacqui, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

I have been busy the past few weeks with buying a new car. The car market currently is in a real upheaval and it has moved to being a Buyer's Market. I finally made the first step the other day by selling my current car to Carvana. It was a '17 Subaru Outback purchased as a "Certified Previously Owned" car that now had 89K miles. Besides needing tires, it was approaching some thorough, but pricey, scheduled maintenance. It has been a very good car for the five years that I owned it. The only costs have been a battery needing replacement and routine maintenance. Interesting living with having only one car (Sue's Subaru Forester) in the household. A bit more scheduling is involved. But next week I will be making the rounds of the local Subaru dealers for a new one.

Yesterday we made reservations for the Pinnacle Grill on our upcoming Rotterdam 6-night cruise in April. It is the last cruise from FLL before it leaves on the Transatlantic for Summer 2024 deployment. Spots were going fast probably because it is not a full week cruise.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

IMG_1181.thumb.JPG.f495676fadba7e99cde897166a0ebe84.JPG

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Happy Ground Hog Day to all and thanks for the daily and fleet report.  I am a fan of Ayn Rand, never heard of Bonza Bottler Day but after the explanation 😆 , but no bubble gum for me.  The meal looked so appetizing this morning but not sure about the drink, yes to the "wine" and never been to Greenland.  LOL on the quote and some interesting days in history.

ScreenShot2024-02-02at06_03_59.thumb.png.578eef763e4309db22a91ec7bba10313.png

Yesterday was such a busy day I am hoping for a more calm one today.  We will have rain most of the day and much cooler temps from yesterday - high of only mid 50s.  Right now it is 49F.  I have my last day with the 8th grade science class but they have a test today so not much talking and hopefully not much walking around.  

ScreenShot2024-02-01at05_08_47.thumb.png.3a8c7c38e1dfbb648993cbdc50892698.png

The pain doc appt was - "you agree with the next injection" and he showed me what the surgeon sent him.  I thought the surgeon recommended 4 shots but it was only 2.  I see the surgeon next week and then the next injection right before I go over to CA before flying out to Miami.  I look at my schedule in the next week and a half and I hope I keep everything straight.  I have so many appts for PT, docs, research studies, etc.

IMG_4156.thumb.JPG.147a3c00d5a9a2e93f00ed11b2d8cda5.JPG

Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers for those celebrating.

Have a great Friday everyone!

Edited by Nickelpenny
fix
  • Like 25
  • Haha 7

Good morning.  Phil has spoken here in PA — early spring!  We shall see.

Woke up yesterday to a leak in our basement.  Verdict—new water heater being installed today.  Ugh!

Packing for our cruise on Vision of the Seas next Thursday.  I am determined to be finished before Wednesday.  Have a great day.  Katherine 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Happy Groundhog day!  The groundhog at our zoo died last year, so this year penguins are going to predict how much longer our winter will be!  There is no sun now, so we shall see what they say at 9am.  We've had a very mild winter so far, hoping it continues.  The ski areas are not happy.  There isn't much snow "up north" either.  The lakes have barely enough ice for ice fishing.  

The beef stew sounds good today!  i'm not sure about the drink or the wine.  Haven't been to the port, but I'm ready to look at pictures today. 

We'll be on a BHB soon, and I'm starting to get things ready to pack today, getting excited!  

Thanks to everyone who cares and shares here.  K

• Like 31

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Happy Groundhog Day everyone - I hope your local rodent forecasts a nice, early spring.  I had to look up Bonza Bottler day - and yes, every month should have at least 1 party, don't you think?  Bubblegum, hmm, I haven't had that in ages.

Yesterday was frustrating, trying to get through to the cardiologist.  I left a detailed message and a couple of hours later the receptionist called back asking why I'd called.  I reiterated what the issues were and her response:  "Well, what do you want me to do?"  Seriously?!?!?!  I asked to speak with the cardiologist who was again not in, and would not be in tomorrow, so I asked to get in to see him next week only to be told he was totally booked up with appointments.  Argh.  I became quite a *B* word saying something to the effect that "Then I might just as well make an appointment with the undertaker, as he's slowly dying in front of me."  and I hung up.  

I proceeded to call our family physician and was told they'd had a cancellation for late in the afternoon, so we went to see him.  He examined DH, listened to his heart and lungs, did his pulse ox and sent him off for another chest x-ray as he didn't like the sound of his lungs.  He also prescribed a stronger diuretic to help relieve the swelling in DH's legs.  I asked at the time if it was possible he had  pulmonary edema or congestive heart failure, as I'd witnessed those same symptoms in my Dad years ago.  He indicated it was a distinct possibility, so he wanted an x ray to check things out.  We're expecting a call from him some time today, but he said if he gets worse, to get him to emergency at the hospital, rather than waiting for any appointments.  Noted.  Sorry for my ranting, but our medical system is becoming increasingly more frustrating with the delays, and incompetent individuals.

@bennybeara little delayed, but I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your friend; it's always hard to lose someone who has been in our lives so long.

@AroundWithMAPTravelsto answer your query yesterday, yes, I do have a glass of wine with dinner every evening . . . purely for health reasons.  Sure.

@marshhawkI'm sorry to hear you're feeling so poorly; I hope the oxygen will help in that respect.  And thank you for being such a kind soul to help Bubbles cross the Rainbow Bridge; you have such a good heart.

@Pushka welcome to the Daily, one of the most caring and supportive places on the boards.

I do hope our Daily friends on their way to Hawaii are feeling better after all the rocking and rolling last night - if I were there, I'd have been popping Bonine like they were PEZ candies!  LOL

Nothing really on the agenda today, just hanging around, so I think I'll start another blanket using up some of the scraps of yarn I've got (there are tons!).  DH is still engrossed in his book and between naps and meals, that keeps him busy.  I'd pass on the drink of the day (bourbon), would really like the Prosecco, and I do make a good slow cooker stew, but like @superoma, cut the ingredients into smaller pieces.  Of course it's Friday night, pizza night here, so this afternoon we'll see what appeals to us and will place an order for delivery to enjoy at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Groundhog.thumb.jpg.f7ee62786fdea48876faf45586707653.jpg

Prayers offered for everyone who is in need, in poor health, in pain, and in grief.  Cheers to all with celebrations happening today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 9

Just want to add a couple more pix from Paaimut, also from the Seabourn Quest, but in 2022. We also enjoy the small, less visited ports.

The first is of some carvings in a stone embankment.PaamiutGreenland(11).thumb.jpg.20084097f9900dd101d68fa14718b417.jpg

And the second is just reflections along the walkway into the village.PaamiutGreenland(32).thumb.jpg.2c742b85faa02a700c6831ec7d471572.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5

Gold Rush

The Gold Rush isn't one of those classic pre-prohibition drinks: it originated at the beginning of this century at Milk & Honey in New York City as a whiskey sour made with honey syrup instead of sugar syrup. (To my ear, that sounds like old-fashioned cough medicine.)

It's best made with a bourbon that is neither too old (more oak) nor too raw, say 4 to 8 years of aging. The honey is first made into a syrup of 3 parts honey to 1 part warm water because it resists mixing, even in a shaker.

Recipe-Article-Modern-Classic-Gold-Rush-Bourbon-Cocktail-500x688.jpg.9200c0343f4973ed20fdf0b6edd2079f.jpg

2 ounces bourbon

3/4 ounce lemon juice, freshly squeezed

3/4 ounce honey syrup

Garnish: lemon twist

Add the bourbon, honey syrup, and lemon juice into a shaker with ice and shake until well-chilled. Strain into a chilled rocks glass over one large ice cube. Garnish with a lemon twist.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 19

Good morning. I will pass on the days but do love a good beef stew. I looked up when the city I was born in was incorporated and found it was around the same time as New York City. Thanks to Sandi for her pictures of the port.

@ger_77, Thank goodness you could get into your doctor yesterday but the situation sounds very hard to deal with. I hope the medication change helps with the symptoms. It is so difficult to deal with the so called health care system in either of our countries.

@marshhawk, Annie, I hope you are able to seek medical help for yourself. We have taken the strays around here to the vet when the time was right also. I don’t understand why your original vet won’t take care of strays.

We all have various stages of this nasty cold going on now. DD and DSIL are feeling better since they got it first. I am worried about Tana  but try not to show it. 
I remember our Hawaii cruise had two days of bumpy rides. I was grateful for bonine. It got much better by the fourth day at sea. It was so nice to see the picture of the Dailyites all together!

Have a good day everyone 

• Like 33

55 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Jacqui, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

I have been busy the past few weeks with buying a new car. The car market currently is in a real upheaval and it has moved to being a Buyer's Market. I finally made the first step the other day by selling my current car to Carvana.

I sure wish we had Carvana here.  It sure would make life simpler for me.

Gerry @ger_77 I am so sorry to hear of the difficulty you are going through to get your DH the medical care he needs.  Ridiculous. 😡. Thank heavens, you are persistent.

41 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Woke up yesterday to a leak in our basement.  Verdict—new water heater being installed today.  Ugh!

Ugh is right.  Good thing it happened now and not while you were away though.  (Just trying to find the silver lining).

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

What a collection of days! The meal sounds good, would try the drink (once I know what it is( and the wine, not been to the port.

Hoping the new meds do their job quickly on this sinus infection, ugh!

Currently 59° headed to rainy 66°. Yard guy checked in yesterday to see if he could come mow - nope, too wet, silly boy, but thanks for asking.

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 

20240202_074451.thumb.jpg.c5f913ed33a07044fc625ab03d4b5977.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

The beef stew would be OK with me. As I said, the drink sounds like old-time cough medicine. For the wine I'll nominate the 2021 Beta Series Sparkling Rosé from Sheldrake Point. I haven't been to Paamiut.

1653 New Amsterdam becomes a city (later renamed New York)

And the first Jews in what would become the United States arrived the following year, coming from the former Dutch colony at Recife, Brazil.

1922 James Joyce's "Ulysses" first published by Sylvia Beach in Paris (1,000 copies)

British publishers refused it because of, well, prudery; respectable printers in the UK would not typeset some of the language. Sylvia Beach, owner of a bookstore in Paris, had it printed by the firm of Darantière in Dijon. There is a persistent tale that the French typesetters set the entire book without a single error, but Beach wrote in her autobiography that this was not even remotely true. She also wrote about getting traveling friends to smuggle the book, a few copies at a time, into England and the US.

oversleepgroundhog.thumb.jpg.582d4ce37e3bd2cc3633c09b1e7b56f7.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 12

Good morning Dailyites from a foggy 61 degree morning warming to mid 60's. Expecting rain later. The cardinals are eagerly eating their seeds and singing away.

Hoping all the folks in San Diego are safe after the rain and flooding. Prayers lifted for so many. Sandi I'm sorry to hear your friend is down and Gerry I'm so thankful you were able to get into your primary. Don't hesitate calling the ambulance! Jacqui, looks like our comments were wiped out last night, but @marshhawk we are hoping Bubble's finds peace today.

Yesterday, Allen's appointment went well. "See you in a year" Last night was fun at game night,  although I did not win. My girlfriend makes a creamy mushroom, onion, and tiny potatoes dish that I could eat every day. We also ordered pizza, fried mushrooms, fried shrimp and burger's! Another friend brought ginger cookies. I'm still full.

Yesterday I was able to get everything out of the 3rd bedroom and boxed up. This was stuff from a friend who wanted to have a sale here last June. Last night after our game, we packed her SUV full and was able to jiggle the last box in it. Done! A friend will come by later and help me put together the heavy storage rack for the garage. Things are moving along!

Remember Bazooka Joe bubble gum with the silly comic wrapped around it? I saved those comics for years.

image.png.f3452ec452ab9bc8b20aa2e981549bda.png

Wishing you a blessed day, a healthy and happy weekend. Be kind!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, kazu said:

I sure wish we had Carvana here.  It sure would make life simpler for me.

I was very happy with the whole "selling" experience. The only negatives with Carvana were their location was a 4+ hour roundtrip drive to drop it off. I chose the option of them picking it up which occurred one week later. With that they charged me $590 for the pickup.  I was still ahead from the other companies (CarMax, etc.) offers, dealer trade-in, or doing a private sale. The only apprehension I had was the car market is so volatile right now that I worried they might go out of business before concluding the sale.

If the price was right, I would use them again. Now I don't have to haggle with a dealer over a trade.

• Like 23

Good Friday Morning Dailyites.  DH and I had an argument last night about the oxygen.  I told him to let me use the smaller equipment that was sent to  me, not him, and yes I used it last night.  He kept saying it's your COPD!  I'm thinking that COPD does not cause a clogged up/runny  nose, a sore throat, a headache, and general malaise.  But, I could be wrong. Today we both have off, it's walk the dog, take Bubbles to St. Francis, and then go visit the Science museum (we are members) .  I asked for a membership for my birthday last year, and we haven't been since.  But I feel so crappy, I would rather stay home and sleep. 

Have you ever wished for a day., when someone else got up and made the coffee.  Fed the cats. Let you sleep? I dont think that I have had a day like that for more than 8 years.  So when I got an email from Firefly yesterday about the accommodations- I really smiled.

from Firefly-

Your Cottage:
Each cottage is appointed with many of the items you would expect in a hotel, and some you might not. Kitchens and kitchenettes are outfitted with dishes and cutlery, cookware in the larger cottages, and glassware. We provide bottled water for our guests and ice upon request. We also have many items that might make your stay better: hair dryer, iron and ironing board, ice chest; we can provide for the asking. We provide the coffee and equipment for you to make an excellent pot of coffee each day, delivering coffee each day. Your cottage will be stocked with bottled water, ice, cream, accessories for coffee (sweeteners) and assorted teas.

Now does that mean I get fresh ground coffee for me to make, or are they actually delivering coffee each day..
  • Like 25

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily updates.  Looks like the groundhog is predicting a short winter although they haven’t really amounted to much lately anyway.  The quote sounds like a bad dad joke.  The meal sounds delicious and something I might try over the weekend.  Not sure on today’s drink.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for those on our prayer list.  Cheers to those of you who are celebrating happy events.  Happy Friday!

• Like 23

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  I woke up 10 minutes late today and have been hurrying to catch up ever since.  The weather here is 38F and we expect to rise to possibly 68 with sunny skies today.  Excellent weather for Groundhog Day!  Expect 6 more weeks of winter, I always say, no matter what the groundhogs prognosticate.

Thank you Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for the Fleet Report and Daily plus the fleet maps.  I can appreciate Ayn Rand, Bonza Bottler day and bubblegum.  Someone is always making up a new day and why not Bonza Bottler, though why that name I'm not sure!  Funny quote!  The beef stew sounds nice and if gold came with the Gold Rush, I'd try it.  I'll also try the prosecco.  Good days in history though a sad one for Queen Victoria.  I'm glad I got to tour and see St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle because now when something big happens there I can picture where it is and what it looked like.  Thanks to Eva @superoma, Paul @kochleffel and Ann @cat shepard for the food and beverage reporting.  I'm sad to hear some of our cruisers on the Koningsdam are feeling unwell due to seas.  This has been a particularly rough ride on the Pineapple Express this week.  Feel better!

Prayers were said for my family and friends with extra ones for Scott.  His wife says he had a mini TIA yesterday and she is very concerned for him.  The doctors said since he could smile and raise his arms afterwards that he is doing okay.  I think I'd want further examination after it but that's just me!  So he was first on my prayer list.  I also prayed for everyone here on the Daily and hope that there is improvement in each of your situations.  Then I included the people in Israel and Ukraine at war and for the hostages still not home.  We can't forget the military members who have already lost their lives and the remainder of them still dodging missiles, rockets and drones every day.  Frightening!  🙏🙏  Annie @marshhawk I was sorry to hear it is time for Bubbles to be free from pain but know you are making the right decision.  I also hope you are feeling better and hope you are using your oxygen.  For all those celebrating happy events and cruising I wish you congratulations, smooth seas and following winds.  Especially the Koningsdam cruisers! 🚢🥂🎂

The port this morning is a brand new one which is exciting.  Paamiut, Frederikshab, Greenland!  Therefore there will be no link posted.  I won't have any photos for Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser so if she has any on her tablet she can post them today.  I have been there once in 2018 on Seabourn Quest so will have to start at the beginning and that may take a little time.  But I'll get it posted as soon as possible.  

I was kept pretty busy yesterday and didn't get to come back to post later in the evening but will try to keep up today with you.  We will get groceries and DH might wash my SUV.  I won't let the dealer wash it since they don't use a brushless automated car wash.  Then we should prune the crape myrtle tree and cut back the ornamental grasses perched at the top of the slope this month and today is surely a nice enough day to do it.  We shall see!

Meanwhile, have a great day today everyone and please try to stay safe and keep well.

Sorry to hear Scott had a mini stroke Sandi.

Hopefully a Statin and blood thinner medication will prevent any more mini strokes.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

It’s still gray in north NJ but tomorrow is supposed to start a sunny trend 🤞. At least it’s not snowing. I’ll enjoy spring when it comes. 

Thanks for the port pix!  Haven’t been to Greenland and not expecting to anytime soon. 

DH is making progress on some “settling in” chores - yesterday he ordered a shade for the guest room window. We’ll experiment with that room first. He’s decided he wants room-darkening shades for the bedrooms. Maybe today I’ll get to a new activity… we tried History Club Wednesday night which was interesting. I’m not in a hurry but would like to explore some of the offerings here. Mostly I’m just tired… took a long nap yesterday afternoon, unusual for me but I guess I needed it. 

Hoping for better days soon for @marshhawk, @smitty34877 and household, and our Circle Hawaii cruisers. (We use Sea Bands mostly but I bring the Bonine too. DH is more likely to feel queasy before I do.). 
@ger_77 Gerri, good for you for pushing the system to get some help for Maurice!  Enjoy that pizza tonight! And wine 🙃
@Lady Hudson Katherine, I’m amazed you can get that hot water heater job done today!  And then back to fun stuff, packing for a cruise! Yay!

@Nickelpenny Yikes, busy times but vacation is coming!  

@kochleffel Trusting you are healing ok. I agree with your impression of the Gold Rush -cough medicine, or for me it’s a way to ruin nice bourbon. 

Blessings to all in need, and cheers for all celebrating. Smooth travels to all away. Thanks all for being here, especially to all the contributors of the Daily.
 Maureen 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Good Friday Morning Dailyites.  DH and I had an argument last night about the oxygen.  I told him to let me use the smaller equipment that was sent to  me, not him, and yes I used it last night.  He kept saying it's your COPD!  I'm thinking that COPD does not cause a clogged up/runny  nose, a sore throat, a headache, and general malaise.  But, I could be wrong. Today we both have off, it's walk the dog, take Bubbles to St. Francis, and then go visit the Science museum (we are members) .  I asked for a membership for my birthday last year, and we haven't been since.  But I feel so crappy, I would rather stay home and sleep. 

Have you ever wished for a day., when someone else got up and made the coffee.  Fed the cats. Let you sleep? I dont think that I have had a day like that for more than 8 years.  So when I got an email from Firefly yesterday about the accommodations- I really smiled.

from Firefly-

Your Cottage:
Each cottage is appointed with many of the items you would expect in a hotel, and some you might not. Kitchens and kitchenettes are outfitted with dishes and cutlery, cookware in the larger cottages, and glassware. We provide bottled water for our guests and ice upon request. We also have many items that might make your stay better: hair dryer, iron and ironing board, ice chest; we can provide for the asking. We provide the coffee and equipment for you to make an excellent pot of coffee each day, delivering coffee each day. Your cottage will be stocked with bottled water, ice, cream, accessories for coffee (sweeteners) and assorted teas.

Now does that mean I get fresh ground coffee for me to make, or are they actually delivering coffee each day..

I hope you feel better soon and contine with your "Rome to Home" pictures and stories. I was enjoying your unique perspective. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

Gold Rush

The Gold Rush isn't one of those classic pre-prohibition drinks: it originated at the beginning of this century at Milk & Honey in New York City as a whiskey sour made with honey syrup instead of sugar syrup. (To my ear, that sounds like old-fashioned cough medicine.)

It's best made with a bourbon that is neither too old (more oak) nor too raw, say 4 to 8 years of aging. The honey is first made into a syrup of 3 parts honey to 1 part warm water because it resists mixing, even in a shaker.

Recipe-Article-Modern-Classic-Gold-Rush-Bourbon-Cocktail-500x688.jpg.9200c0343f4973ed20fdf0b6edd2079f.jpg

2 ounces bourbon

3/4 ounce lemon juice, freshly squeezed

3/4 ounce honey syrup

Garnish: lemon twist

Add the bourbon, honey syrup, and lemon juice into a shaker with ice and shake until well-chilled. Strain into a chilled rocks glass over one large ice cube. Garnish with a lemon twist.

I suppose those ice cubes are nuggets. 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 7