Done with Celebrity

Topless23

So, we've just completed our 66th cruise. this minor review is about 6 months late, so forgive me for that.

This was #12 on Celebrity, This will be our last on this line. 

The reason may sound silly, but it's the little things that drive one nutty.

Sometime in Feb '23, while we were onboard X in an aft suite and without any kind of advance notice, Celebrity started charging $13 for room service. Didn't notice it til I checked the onboard fees a week later. Shocker!  Went to the desk to ask WTH and was informed it was a fleet wide change.

Now, we're not cheap, but after paying close to $8k for the cruise, it just irks me to have to pay $13 to have a burger delivered to the room. I don't mind the additional charge for the speciality restaurants, or for top shelf booze (on top of the included drinks package). Those are givens. 

But charging for room service is just wrong. If it's that important to the bottom line, just charge more up front. 

After the Celebrity cruise, we spent 15 days on Regent Splendor (livin in the lap of real luxury) and we just got back from 14 days on Princess. Regent doesn't charge for anything, while Princess does if you order from the TV or room phone, but if you order off the Princess app on your cell (on Medallion class ships), there is no charge, and they find you and deliver it to you wherever you are on the ship.

So, I'm done with Celebrity. It's not any better onboard than Princess or HAL, but I just can't take the cheap.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

The degradation of Celebrity continues.

Seems like complimentary room service was taken from suite passengers to give to the paying Premium Access (formerly known as Celebrity Pass (Xpass)) passengers.  I don't order room service but it was a nice option.

There is no value for the prices being charged.  There should be a pinned post of the Celebrity cutbacks with the year of the lost. 😂.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

Seems like complimentary room service was taken from suite passengers to give to the paying Premium Access (formerly known as Celebrity Pass (Xpass)) passengers

Suite passengers still get complimentary room services.   Aqua rooms and below do not. 

i would not want it wrapped into price as i never use room service. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Topless23 said:

So, we've just completed our 66th cruise. this minor review is about 6 months late, so forgive me for that.

Sometime in Feb '23, while we were onboard X in an aft suite and without any kind of advance notice, Celebrity started charging $13 for room service. Didn't notice it til I checked the onboard fees a week later. Shocker!  Went to the desk to ask WTH and was informed it was a fleet wide change.

Now, we're not cheap, but after paying close to $8k for the cruise, it just irks me to have to pay $13 to have a burger delivered to the room. I don't mind the additional charge for the speciality restaurants, or for top shelf booze (on top of the included drinks package). Those are givens. 

But charging for room service is just wrong. If it's that important to the bottom line, just charge more up front. 

After the Celebrity cruise, we spent 15 days on Regent Splendor (livin in the lap of real luxury) and we just got back from 14 days on Princess. Regent doesn't charge for anything, while Princess does if you order from the TV or room phone, but if you order off the Princess app on your cell (on Medallion class ships), there is no charge, and they find you and deliver it to you wherever you are on the ship.

So, I'm done with Celebrity. It's not any better onboard than Princess or HAL, but I just can't take the cheap.

To be fair, Princess charges a one time $15 activation fee to use their app to order food or drinks. Both fees are waived if the passenger has the Plus or Premier package.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

To be fair, Princess charges a one time $15 activation fee to use their app to order food or drinks. Both fees are waived if the passenger has the Plus or Premier package.

Ours was not honoured last year on the Plus package as it was the ‘old’ one apparently. If we wanted the room service activation on the medallion, we needed to pay an up-charge fee and you were not grandfathered in. Many unhappy pax complained to GS after boarding as they were not informed before the sailing. Basically, all the cruise lines are doing the same.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Topless23 said:

6 months late? You say you cruised in Feb of 2023?

Unfortunately there had to be some miscommunication onboard your sailing. Yes, Celebrity now charges a room service delivery fee (except for continental breakfast) but suites are excluded from that fee and you said you were in an aft suite. You were given wrong info which is not surprising as Celebrity has tried too many different changes at once which in turn confused many crew members. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, CruisersTimesThree said:

6 months late? You say you cruised in Feb of 2023?

Unfortunately there had to be some miscommunication onboard your sailing. Yes, Celebrity now charges a room service delivery fee (except for continental breakfast) but suites are excluded from that fee and you said you were in an aft suite. You were given wrong info which is not surprising as Celebrity has tried too many different changes at once which in turn confused many crew members. 

The way Celebrity keeps changing its policy you never know what may have been in effect. Maybe a butler rental fee lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

and by a brand new poster. With an interesting name for a supposedly mature adult.

23 and topless…color me interested…at that age most of them look pretty good. 🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Topless23 said:

Bye.

• Thanks 1

I suspect someone is calling a regular cabin a suite.  All kinds of wrong info out there.  I was in a conversation recently with someone who told us that their TA said their concierge cabin came with a "butler", their words.  I had to explain to them the difference between concierge and a suite.

• Like 1

If it wasn’t for misinformation, people might actually understand cruising better, but then sometimes the purpose is just to use words to get someone to do, or like something.  It is always difficult to tell the actual purpose of things written, but maybe that adds to the conversation.  

It is your money and your choice to use it to make you happy!  Life is short!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

and by a brand new poster. With an interesting name for a supposedly mature adult.

For those who leave,  some will stay and more will come aboard! that's the cycle!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So the OP waited a year after her cruise to join CC for the purpose of making a grand exit announcement from X. Well almighty then. We are all properly devastated at the loss.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, hcat said:

For those who leave,  some will stay and more will come aboard! that's the cycle!

we are the new ones coming aboard next month. I hope we like it because I just booked 2 more for next year, cruise unsailed (like sight unseen).

But then - we don't order room service.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mom says said:

So the OP waited a year after her cruise to join CC for the purpose of making a grand exit announcement from X. Well almighty then. We are all properly devastated at the loss.

I didn’t even realize that was their first post!
OP, 66 cruises and you just found these boards?? 

You post a year after your cruise to complain about $13? 
I’m suspecting you were not in a suite, so OP please tell us what cabin # you stayed in so the record could be set straight! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CruisersTimesThree said:

OP, 66 cruises and you just found these boards?? 

I can believe it. Our first cruise was in 1991. Didn't hear or know anything about CC until 2001(10 years  later) when I accidently fat fingered a google search. 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, doghog said:

I can believe it. Our first cruise was in 1991. Didn't hear or know anything about CC until 2001(10 years  later) when I accidently fat fingered a google search. 

In fairness though, it wasnt founded until 1995 as a feature of AOL and certainly would have taken sometime to really build into something. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, georgiaguy said:

In fairness though, it wasnt founded until 1995 as a feature of AOL and certainly would have taken sometime to really build into something. 

Joined CC in 2001. Not my point! OK, 6 years for me. 🤣

Edited by doghog
  • Haha 1