My Thoughts On My Retreat Experience........Celebrity Beyond 1-19-24 Sailing

BACON227

Sorry to hear about your experience but I am not really too surprised.  We were on the same sailing but in a OV down in the bowels and came home less than happy.  We did point out some of our problems to the guest relations staff and got a  lot of "oh, gee we are so sorry" and little else in the way of follow up.  In the end they did give us a small FCC.  I found it strange that Captain Kate is so great, she really is but some other parts of the ship have issues.  Like you I filled out the survey just because but nothing came from it.  I finally wrote to Celebrity's executive offices and  detailed our issues and about 3 weeks later got an email asking me to call or provide a number they could all me at so I called.  Actually had a good conversation with a nice lady who actually listened to me and did some more in the way of compensating us.

We were in the MDRs and found the service nice but by and large, after day one the food was not so good.  A lot os it was way over salted and often over coked.  

We did Bermuda on the Summit last summer and the food was good every night so yes, there has been a decline.

Iceland is next in August and seriously considered just canceling it and tossing the deposit but once we got home from the Caribbean I found the Iceland price had dropped over two grand so I just re-booked at the lower price and they get one more chance....Oh, we are Elite so we are well verserd in Celebrity.  This one was not the Celebrity we knew and loved in the past.

• Like 2

After a terrible experience in a Celebrity Suite on Summit last march we cancelled our 12/23 cruise on Reflection.  We left a very small deposit on the table.  X provided compensation in the form FCC’s of a significant amount.  We have moved on to Oceania (2 cruises booked) which was a non-brainer.  Our PH on Oceania (10 days) cost less than an 8 day on Reflection and included free wifi, shoreex credit and OBC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyler414 said:

Just to understand, you are comparing a guarantee cabin on a 14 day Seabourn vs. a week cruise with Celebrity in a suite?    What class is the Seabourn?   A suite as well?   Thanks. 

Yes, 14 days in August. Athens RT.

It's a veranda cabin guarentee on the Seabourn Encore. Comparable in size to a Sky Suite. Stocked with two bottles of whatever alchohol we want, refilled if we finish them. Includes tips, wifi and drinks. I paid $3300 before tax, Infinity was $3k before tax, but did not include gratuities. 

I have not traveled on Seabourn before, but have been on other small, luxury ships. I would say the expereince in all cabins is equivalent to retreat class, likely better. 

I had to pay 100% up front and it's non-refundable,  so maybe not apples to apples, but close enough. I was shocked.

• Like 2

Celebrity prices are crazy , as already stated a couple thousand more than a year ago . Luminae has declined in quality. My future cruises will be MSc yacht club or rccl . However we will continue our music charters on Celebrity since there isn’t anything like that on other lines. 

• Like 2

Thanks to the OP for your review and for the subsequent comments by others.  I will be on the Edge for a transpacific on April 14th and have been contemplating a move-up bid from a veranda to a sky suite.  As a solo traveler, I pay double for the move-up bid, but a bigger room and Retreat access sounded tempting.  I'm definitely rethinking my bidding.  Anyone remember when the bids for upgrades used to come to you personally by email?  I did that once successfully and went from a veranda to a sky suite back when you got the butler.  The upgrade for a 10-day cruise was $600 as a solo cruiser.

• I have Elite Plus with Celebrity and have noticed the decline in the quality of the brand recently, and the prices are so high that this will probably be my last cruise with them.  They are certainly not solo cruiser friendly, and they don't have enough solo rooms on the Edge ships, as they sell out very quickly.
  • Like 1

Suite prices on Celebrity are absurd now. Was pricing the PH and Iconic Suite on next year's Apex 13 night TA due to two bedrooms (for 4 adults). PH is $45,000 and IC is almost $80,000 !!! Do people actually pay the price of a new high end car for one 2 week cruise ????

• Like 2

On 2/25/2024 at 1:00 PM, islabahia said:

After a terrible experience in a Celebrity Suite on Summit last march we cancelled our 12/23 cruise on Reflection.  We left a very small deposit on the table.  X provided compensation in the form FCC’s of a significant amount.  We have moved on to Oceania (2 cruises booked) which was a non-brainer.  Our PH on Oceania (10 days) cost less than an 8 day on Reflection and included free wifi, shoreex credit and OBC.

We just did Oceania's newest ship (for 11 nights in Concierge level) the Vista and immediately transferred  from Miami to Port Everglades for a week in a Sky Suite on the Ascent. We enjoyed both. Nice that butlers have returned to Sky Suites on Celebrity...they are correcting the mistake of removing them. Luminae, even with its limited menu, was better than Oceania's Grand Dining Room, although Oceania's specialty restaurants with no surcharge meet or exceed Celebrity's in quality. Of course Oceania's Terrace Cafe (their version of a buffet) is outstanding. Entertainment pretty good on both ships. Sadly, will not sail on Oceania's new Vista again due to extremely thin walls. I could only sleep when my neighbor's TV was off, and he was cooperative, keeping his volume very low. Such a contrast to much more solidly built Ascent where noise from neighbors or even hallway noise was not a problem at all. We have done 15 cruises on Celebrity and 10 on Oceania...will continue to enjoy both, but will avoid Oceania's thin walled new ships.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TommyD3 said:

Suite prices on Celebrity are absurd now. Was pricing the PH and Iconic Suite on next year's Apex 13 night TA due to two bedrooms (for 4 adults). PH is $45,000 and IC is almost $80,000 !!! Do people actually pay the price of a new high end car for one 2 week cruise ????

Agreed, it's gotten crazy.  In late 2022 I did a TA on Edge for 14 nights in the Edge Villa, it cost us $14.1K.  I priced the EV for the Apex TA in March 2025 and it is now just over $30K.  Ended up booking the Sunset Aft Suite and even that was a little over $9K.  Will be my last crise for a while, though I don't expect the prices to fall back.  

• Like 1

On 2/17/2024 at 6:05 AM, CTCruiser76 said:

We have been considering booking retreat level Bermuda cruise for 2025....these reviews have me seriously reconsidering.

Bermuda,

Why sail there for 5 days (2 going and 3 coming back)  unless you really like sea days ...

In keeping with what some others have posted, I just did a South Caribbean cruise comparison with Celebrity and Regent Seven Seas for a February cruise.  Granted they’re one year apart, but Celebrity hasn’t released their 2026 itineraries yet.

Regent Seven Seas Grandeur (2023) eight ports for 14 nights, has 746 passengers at capacity with 1.37 passenger/crew ratio.

four ports for 11 nights, has 3,260 passengers at capacity, with 2.32 passenger/crew ratio.

Grandeur 561-626 sq. ft. Penthouse suite with personalized premium liquors in suite and around ship, daily laundry, Wi-Fi, four specialty restaurants, gratuities and excursions in every port included in price. $743 pp/pn. 

BTW the everyday menu in the main dining room is far superior to Celebrity’s food offerings. They include Prime steaks, scallops, lobster, shrimp and more besides the daily special menus.

Beyond 501 sq. ft. Celebrity Suite. Specialty restaurants, daily laundry, premium liquor package and excursions NOT included. $1,034 pp/pn.

Why would someone select a Celebrity suite over a Regent suite based upon this?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Bermuda,

Why sail there for 5 days (2 going and 3 coming back)  unless you really like sea days ...

Sea days are the best..so relaxing..

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

In keeping with what some others have posted, I just did a South Caribbean cruise comparison with Celebrity and Regent Seven Seas for a February cruise.  Granted they’re one year apart, but Celebrity hasn’t released their 2026 itineraries yet.

Regent Seven Seas Grandeur (2023) eight ports for 14 nights, has 746 passengers at capacity with 1.37 passenger/crew ratio.

four ports for 11 nights, has 3,260 passengers at capacity, with 2.32 passenger/crew ratio.

Grandeur 561-626 sq. ft. Penthouse suite with personalized premium liquors in suite and around ship, daily laundry, Wi-Fi, four specialty restaurants, gratuities and excursions in every port included in price. $743 pp/pn. 

BTW the everyday menu in the main dining room is far superior to Celebrity’s food offerings. They include Prime steaks, scallops, lobster, shrimp and more besides the daily special menus.

Beyond 501 sq. ft. Celebrity Suite. Specialty restaurants, daily laundry, premium liquor package and excursions NOT included. $1,034 pp/pn.

I  would be bored stiff on the regent.  Choices are good, is there a Regent board you could post on? Why would anyone post on a Celebrity board when obviously it is a sub par product in your mind..I’m not on the Regent board running them down..

We know how to price other cruises..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's amazing to see the differences in experiences and perceptions.  We were in a CS on the Apex earlier this month, and it was just wonderful.  Service throughout all of the Retreat areas was fantastic, the staff was delightful.  Luminae food was just fine for a cruise ship...I don't expect to have the best meals every night on ship with 2500-3000 passengers, regardless of the cost of the cruise. 

Yes the prices have gotten high, but for the two times a year we cruise, it's worth the splurge to us.

It's odd to me that the OP is under the impression the pool staff knows or cares what level suite you're in...it never occurred to me that they would.  Maybe they do...but I'd personally be surprised if that's the case.

Lastly, I do agree with those who say the Retreat isn't really worth the cost on non-Edge class ships.  I am pretty sure we will stick to E-class going forward.  We booked another on the Apex when we were on board, and we will be on the Beyond later this year.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, CruisinShips said:

It's amazing to see the differences in experiences and perceptions.  

Lastly, I do agree with those who say the Retreat isn't really worth the cost on non-Edge class ships.  I am pretty sure we will stick to E-class going forward.  We booked another on the Apex when we were on board, and we will be on the Beyond later this year.

I agree with all of this..

• Like 1

On 2/17/2024 at 9:30 AM, RichYak said:

Retreat fares on Eclipse sailings to Bermuda from NJ are currently as low as I've seen them. Still not cheap, particularly for Eclipse, but at least not completely insane.

If I were planning Bermuda from NY in 2025, I would strongly consider Oceania. The itinerary includes Newport RI, Hamilton and St George's. No King's Wharf. Much better IMO for probably same or less cost.

Newport is nice for a day with a tour and lunch;   not much going on in St George's these days ; and we like stopping at Kings Wharf  It is way out,  but easy to go elsewhere including Hamilton and beaches,   and  there's fun stuff right there! 

Not familiar with O ships but will look at ECLIPSE reviews!  Either way  BERMUDA is great!

1 hour ago, CruisinShips said:

It's amazing to see the differences in experiences and perceptions.  We were in a CS on the Apex earlier this month, and it was just wonderful.

Multiple things can be true at the same time. Your cruise in a CS on Apex was wonderful. There are other options that can be even more wonderful at better prices. Both true.

One can choose to splurge while also seeking the best value. I think for many in this thread, the Retreat experience, while it still may be good, is no longer of value.

• Like 5

On 2/17/2024 at 3:12 AM, BACON227 said:

Let me start off by giving some information on my cruising history.  I have sailed in the Retreat 7 times, have done the NCL Haven Twice and the MSC Yacht Club once.  Our Retreat experience has always been fantastic, until this sailing.  I took the same exact cruise last year and paid half of what I paid this year.  What did I get for double the price, no butler (When I reserved the cruise it was advertised I would have a butler), was told that the two bottles of Evian water that were in our cabin on embarkation day were all we got for our 10 day cruise, and pretty much non-existent service on the Retreat Pool Deck.

Let me start with the Retreat Pool Deck, on our previous Retreat experiences you pretty much never had to leave your chair for a drink.  On this cruise over the course of 10 days I was maybe asked if I wanted a drink by a server a half a dozen times.  For the most part, if you wanted a drink you were bellying up to the bar like your were on the regular pool deck.  My wife loves the umbrellas on the Retreat Pool Deck.  On our first sea day we had two chairs with an umbrella in between.  I asked one of the pool attendants if they could open the umbrella and was told that he would check to see if it was allowed.  Within a couple minutes the pool attendant returned and said that they were not allowed to open any of the umbrellas.  I bought to his attention that not even 5 feet from where we were, a couple had their umbrella open, his response was "yes" and he quickly walked away.  I'm guessing that the couple that had their umbrella open must have been staying in a higher category suite than we were, if you book an entry level Sky Suite prepare to now be treated like a second class citizen.  We spent our day in St. Lucia onboard.  We went up to the Retreat Pool Deck which was pretty much empty.  I asked another pool attendant to open the umbrella and was told that all the umbrellas were broken.........................but you don't say, the couple that had their umbrella open (obviously not in an entry level Sky Suite) on the first sea day again were enjoying the shade of the umbrella.  At this point I had enough and went to the Retreat Lounge to speak to the concierge.  Within minutes of speaking to the Retreat concierge a pool attendant came and opened our umbrella.  Why did it have to be that difficult, when you pay the price for the Retreat you expect top notch service, it was far from that.

On our first night in Luminae there was nothing on the menu I wanted to eat.  On our previous 7 Retreat experiences filet mignon was not on the menu, but was available every night................so I asked for a filet mignon, I was told that Filet mignon was not on the menu.  When I mentioned that on our previous cruises it was available every night, the waitor answered, yes we stopped that a few months ago.  Again more cuts, but alot more money out of my pocket.

This was the first time that we did not book another cruise while onboard.  I'd be willing to pay the high Celebrity prices if the experience was the same as years past, but Celebrity has now cheapened their product all the while sending their prices through the roof.

Will I sail Celebrity again, probably not.  This experience left a really bad taste in my mouth.  I will be spending my money elsewhere.

Does Celebrity care, I'd have to say no.  Does Celebrity actually read the surveys at the end of the cruise, I'd have to say no.  It's been nearly 3 weeks since I submitted my review of my sailing.  I simply put in the comments section, this is probably my last Celebrity cruise, if you care to know why please call me and I provided my phone number, I haven't heard from anybody.  Deliver a message to Celebrity, do not book their cruises anymore.  My experience in the MSC Yacht Club a few months prior to this cruise was far superior than any of my Retreat experience for less than half the price.

You've been warned, now take a stand!!!!!!!!!!!

Consider ourselves warned 👍. To be honest none of the things that annoyed you would us. Irritations maybe some of them, others to us no deal at all, but bottom line is we’re on hols and they are never perfect, but we wouldn’t let stuff like this spoil it. We are all different I know. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Multiple things can be true at the same time. Your cruise in a CS on Apex was wonderful. There are other options that can be even more wonderful at better prices. Both true.

True, but MY opinion is the one that matters.  To me. 😄

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Thank you kindly for your analysis.

I have the same question. I presume there are many "obedient consumers" who will not change their purchasing habits.

Humans are repeaters and do not generally like change.

So people will continue to book a cruise, hotel, hang with family they do not like to avoid conflict/change.

When one moves from the mass lines to the premium and luxury, there is a significant difference, one of which is entertainment. The mass lines have much of this, the premium and luxury not so much. If a consumer is into being entertained at night, I can understand they might want the glitz of the mass lines - not for me.

I find the costs of the Celebrity retreat ridiculous, but others do not.

What I do know there are many Celebrity guests that have left Celebrity and moved up to the premium level, they are called "Celebrity Refugees".

It it everyone's own $, spend it as you wish. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We are peasants who did a move-up to a lowly SS on Ascent at the end of January. We mostly wanted the bigger room and balcony, but were prepared to suffer the horrors of having to go to Luminae and enjoying the Retreat deck. Oh the pain!  I read the indignant Butler threads here and was prepared never to see a butler. We did see him, but never utilized his services because like I say we are basically poor, low-class plebeians. Also he was running his feet off for the high-and-mighty ones on our deck. 

I liked the Retreat deck mainly because it was quieter than the steerage pool decks. The only time we couldn't avail ourselves of an umbrella was when it was too windy. Drinks were offered by exceptionally pleasant and helpful servers on a regular basis. Perhaps we got good service despite  being the scum-of-the-earth occupants of a SS, but because we were polite and friendly to the servers? I dunno...it's hard to tell? although watching some of the entitled, unbelievably rude people there treating the staff like lowly peons was horrifying and illuminating. 

We did go to Luminae on the first night, and listened to the woman next to us criticizing the food, berating the staff and then wondering aloud to her husband if Future Cruises would be able to cancel their next booking in the Emperors Suite (or whatever) and move them to Silver seas (or whatever) It really spoiled the experience for me, although I enjoyed the food and the service. The rest of the time we did speciality dining or went to the MDR. We went to Luminae for breakfast on disembarkation day and it was so good. I wish I hadn't  let Lady Muck ruin it. 

I like to balance value with style. I would definitely use Retreat again if the price was right, but am also happy to stay with the lesser classes in basic staterooms. 

• Like 18

On 2/16/2024 at 10:12 PM, BACON227 said:

I'm guessing that the couple that had their umbrella open must have been staying in a higher category suite than we were, if you book an entry level Sky Suite prepare to now be treated like a second class citizen. 

I’d guess that pool attendants neither know, nor care, what suite category people are in. More likely they either opened it themselves or had a pool attendant who didn’t ask.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MagPie60 said:

We are peasants who did a move-up to a lowly SS on Ascent at the end of January. We mostly wanted the bigger room and balcony, but were prepared to suffer the horrors of having to go to Luminae and enjoying the Retreat deck. Oh the pain!  I read the indignant Butler threads here and was prepared never to see a butler. We did see him, but never utilized his services because like I say we are basically poor, low-class plebeians. Also he was running his feet off for the high-and-mighty ones on our deck. 

I liked the Retreat deck mainly because it was quieter than the steerage pool decks. The only time we couldn't avail ourselves of an umbrella was when it was too windy. Drinks were offered by exceptionally pleasant and helpful servers on a regular basis. Perhaps we got good service despite  being the scum-of-the-earth occupants of a SS, but because we were polite and friendly to the servers? I dunno...it's hard to tell? although watching some of the entitled, unbelievably rude people there treating the staff like lowly peons was horrifying and illuminating. 

We did go to Luminae on the first night, and listened to the woman next to us criticizing the food, berating the staff and then wondering aloud to her husband if Future Cruises would be able to cancel their next booking in the Emperors Suite (or whatever) and move them to Silver seas (or whatever) It really spoiled the experience for me, although I enjoyed the food and the service. The rest of the time we did speciality dining or went to the MDR. We went to Luminae for breakfast on disembarkation day and it was so good. I wish I hadn't  let Lady Muck ruin it. 

I like to balance value with style. I would definitely use Retreat again if the price was right, but am also happy to stay with the lesser classes in basic staterooms. 

Love your response.  

• Like 4

On 2/17/2024 at 6:30 AM, RichYak said:

Retreat fares on Eclipse sailings to Bermuda from NJ are currently as low as I've seen them. Still not cheap, particularly for Eclipse, but at least not completely insane.

If I were planning Bermuda from NY in 2025, I would strongly consider Oceania. The itinerary includes Newport RI, Hamilton and St George's. No King's Wharf. Much better IMO for probably same or less cost.

We did Bermuda on Oceania in August 2023.  The ship was very small( Insignia) and very boring.  Food was not as good as our first O cruise in Feb 2022.  We were supposed to go to St. George's, that didn't happen due to weather.  We spent 2 nights in Hamilton.  We were there on a Sunday, so everything was closed.     The weather coming back was pretty bad and a lot of people were sea sick.   I did vlog that trip if anyone wants to read it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry, really.  I had to stop at the umbrella story.  I've only been in Retreat once so I'm not a frequent cruiser.  These umbrellas?  Were they that complicated and unsafe that you couldn't just reach up and open it yourself?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3