The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday March 3rd, 2024

kazu

Today is 33 Flavors Day, Caregiver Appreciation Day, and International Ear Care Day

My one regret in life is that I am not someone else. - Woody Allen

Meal Suggestion for today - Slow Cooker Butternut Pear Soup
Drink of the Day - Copperhead
Wine of the Day - Cocchi-Storico-Vermouth-di-Torino 
Destination of the Day - Arrecife, Lanzarote, Canary Islands

Today in History:
1861 Alexander II of Russia signs the Emancipation Manifesto, freeing serfs and granting them the full rights of free citizens [O.S. Feb 19]
1887 Anne Sullivan begins teaching 6 year old blind-deaf Helen Keller
1921 Toronto's Dr Banting & Dr Best announce discovery of insulin
1956 Dutch swimmer Cockie Gastelaars breaks 20-year old world record for 100m freestyle (1:04.2)

Ship Locations

Eurodam

St Thomas Island USVI, Charlotte Amalie, US Virgin Islands 08:00 - 16:00 

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Raiatea Island, Uturoa, French Polynesia eta 03-05

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos eta 03-04

Nieuw Statendam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 7:00-15:00 

Oosterdam

Montevideo, Uruguay 08:00 - 18:00 

Rotterdam

Panama Canal, Colon, Panama 06:00 - 07:00 ,17:00 - 21:00 

Zaandam

Parintins, Brazil Amazon 08:00 - 17:00 

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Burnie, Tasmania Australia 11:00 - 18:00 

Volendam

At Sea Destination Fiordland National Park, New Zealand eta 03-06

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Shanghai, China eta 03-05

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Hakata-Fukuoka City, Japan Fukuoka eta 03-05

• Like 16
  • Thanks 20

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Another spring-like day in the forecast, should get up to 12°C (54°F) this afternoon.  Normal is about 1°C (34°F).  We'll enjoy it while we can.

Three good days to celebrate.

I'm not sure what to make of the quote.  It's very sad.

I'll pass on the meal, not sure about the drink or the wine.

I haven't been to today's port, but I'd love to someday.

Prayers for our world.  I hope there are lots of celebrations.

Have a peaceful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 26

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP

Cat Shepard’s DSis post emergency stomach surgery, off vent, out of bed

RMLincoln’s DSIL transferred to Rehab, with treatments

RIP former Prime Minister Brian Mulroney

Fires in the Texas panhandle and OK

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; loss of US military members

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

StLouisCruisers’ DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

Seasick Sailor’s friend Ron with multiple medical issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage 0106 (Tina)!

Welcome home Lady Hudson!

Lazey1 feeling better and getting stronger daily

Rafinmd’s PSA showing improvement

JazzyV with improved leg pain and numbness after spinal injection

RMLincoln’s DH Richard doing well after his eye procedure, tapering drops

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy out of ICU!

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

LAFFNVEGAS (Winstar Wind Surf to Mar 9) 7d Classic Caribbean, Nickelpenny (Zaandam to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer, Mtn2Sea (Zaandam to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer,0106 (Nieuw Statendam to Mar 17) 14d W/E Caribbean, w/BFF, USN59-79 (Seabourn Sojourn to Mar 24) 33d Sydney to Taipei + 17d in Taipei, Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap(Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 14
  • Thanks 25

Copperhead cocktail:

Introducing the invigorating "Copperhead" cocktail - a lively libation that fuses the crispness of vodka with the zing of ginger ale. Named after the daring snake, this cocktail embodies a sense of excitement and flair. With its refreshing and effervescent qualities, the Copperhead cocktail is an ideal choice for those seeking a dynamic and enjoyable drinking experience. Whether enjoyed at a vibrant gathering or as a personal indulgence, this concoction promises to awaken your taste buds and infuse your moments with spirited delight.

2 oz. vodka
1/2 oz. lime juice    
4 oz. ginger ale

Ina tall glass with ice cubes pour in the vodka and fresh lime juice.
Stir gently to mix the ingredients, then top off the cocktail with ginger ale.
Garnish with a lime wedge perched on the rim of the glass, adding a hint of citrus aroma (optional)

Screenshot 2024-03-03 at 6.43.08 AM.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 19

Good morning friends!  Happy National Anthem Day!  It's a foggy morning and 52F.  High today will be 68 and mostly cloudy.  Yesterday's mostly cloudy prediction turned out to be 50-50 sun and clouds.  I looked outside the front door at 6 a.m. and saw a lone deer standing under the pin oak searching for acorns on the ground.  DH has been cleaning them up to discourage the chipmunk who seems to have burrowed a little hole in the mulch and tunneled under the driveway.  He's very persistent but has to go!  So there's not a lot out there to eat right now.🦌

Thank you Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the fleet location maps.  The date 3/3 has a lot of special days to recognize!  It's 33 Flavors Day which is a good time to try out a new flavor of ice cream.  Also Caregiver Appreciation Day which is extremely important and many here know exactly what I'm talking about from personal experience.  Also International Ear Care Day which I'm sure helps to spread the word on how important ear care is.  What an odd quote by Woody Allen!  I think I'll pass on the soup, drink and wine.  The four days in history are all very important but my favorite was Helen Keller learning to read and write Braille and use hand signals.  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for the reports this morning.

Prayers for my DB, DGD, and friends Scott and Susan, the people at war in Israel and Ukraine, the 134 hostages still alive and being held, our troops on bases and at sea in danger at all times, and very importantly, the people of the Daily on the Care list.  I mention names to direct my prayers specifically so I hope for improvement and healing for all.  Very good news from Lorraine @cruising sister that Baby Murphy has gone home from the hospital!  Hurray!  Cheers for all on the Celebration list! 🎉🥂  I wish you all the best and happy cruising to the extensive list of us on a ship.  🚢  Safe travels as well! ✈️  Speaking of lists, thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for presenting the list each day even during the worst of times.  You do a great job! ❤️

The destination of the day is Arrecife, Lanzarote, Canary Islands.  We have been there a few times and it's lovely there.  It was the port here before on Feb. 24, 2022 and April 26, 2023.  Here are the links so don't forget to post your photos today!

Hoping you all enjoy a wonderful day!  Stay safe and keep well!

10+ National Anthem Day Images, Pictures, Photos

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)

Good morning.

It is 46°F and sunny here.

We had a nice church service and Father David mentioned my late dad's memory during prayers.

On Tuesday March 5th it will be my late Dad's 12th memory.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

3 good days.

Silly quote.

We have been to Arrecife Lanzarote many times most recently January when we took a tour to Costa Tequise market then last November when we took a tour to Playa Blanca.

I hope everyone is well.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 25

Today's port of Arrecife on Lanzarote, Canary Islands is a very nice stop. Many Brits go to the Canary Islands for holiday to get some warmth and sunshine.  Just ask Graham!  We were there in 2014 on Celebrity Constellation and in 2018 on Prinsendam.  From Nov. 11, 2014 on the Constellation.  We took a stroll through Arrecife both times we've visited there.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKvUXZp-NAZLmDzqYHVvP9X?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779408

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLbujJwwe2KMpEhkL13IKqT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779411

We walked by a unique history museum which appeared to be housed in an old fortress.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJnZZzc7R01-hz5ykPp2yTE?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779414

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIrbaU3XLuJ5am4AI_-CS7I?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526127132

Many people probably come here to lie in the sun on a nice sandy beach.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKF-2EU_o5-kbut3ipa6cBv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779422

While others come to shop or eat in restaurants.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIn2YSsMObyL76RAQn05QPD?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779440

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI9d8X5wTgLQ5xKFB-TKp45?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779440

Here is the Church of San Gines00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKj-1yZVwE3o9nWCs6gwBuC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779428

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIm2Ry3B1ugDypraaamXC0k?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779434

Nice Spanish architecture00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIYxLAGqWZu1J2fPg6TfJnJ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779425

Docked behind the Constellation was the Sea Cloud II, a cruise ship with the feel of a tall ship.  Of course we had to walk back there to take a picture or two.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJaokuDYzmHByyhRrOlrL4P?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779452

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIc37cZ5769WHDkCYeyedMG?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779457

I wouldn't want to have to help raise the sails!  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 9

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Today's port of Arrecife on Lanzarote, Canary Islands is a very nice stop. Many Brits go to the Canary Islands for holiday to get some warmth and sunshine.  Just ask Graham!  We were there in 2014 on Celebrity Constellation and in 2018 on Prinsendam.  From Nov. 11, 2014 on the Constellation.  We took a stroll through Arrecife both times we've visited there.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKvUXZp-NAZLmDzqYHVvP9X?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779408

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLbujJwwe2KMpEhkL13IKqT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779411

We walked by a unique history museum which appeared to be housed in an old fortress.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJnZZzc7R01-hz5ykPp2yTE?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779414

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIrbaU3XLuJ5am4AI_-CS7I?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526127132

Many people probably come here to lie in the sun on a nice sandy beach.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKF-2EU_o5-kbut3ipa6cBv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779422

While others come to shop or eat in restaurants.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIn2YSsMObyL76RAQn05QPD?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779440

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI9d8X5wTgLQ5xKFB-TKp45?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779440

Here is the Church of San Gines00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKj-1yZVwE3o9nWCs6gwBuC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779428

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIm2Ry3B1ugDypraaamXC0k?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779434

Nice Spanish architecture00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIYxLAGqWZu1J2fPg6TfJnJ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779425

Docked behind the Constellation was the Sea Cloud II, a cruise ship with the feel of a tall ship.  Of course we had to walk back there to take a picture or two.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJaokuDYzmHByyhRrOlrL4P?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779452

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIc37cZ5769WHDkCYeyedMG?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416779457

I wouldn't want to have to help raise the sails!  

Nice photos Sandi.

Arrecife shuttle drop off is about 20 minutes walk to the main shopping street which has gone downhill since the pandemic.

There is a new shopping Mall 5 minutes away in a taxi if you want to do some shopping.

The promenade is a nice walk.

The main tourist areas in Lanzarote are.

Playa Blanca.

Puerto del Carmen.

Costa Tequise.

These are well worth a tour.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 7

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui. Roy, thank you for our maps. 

Vanessa, you are one of the few bright spots in my last week. Your progress gives me hope for my Sister. Thank you for sharing it with us. Thank you for keeping up with all of us. We have a lot going on. 

My Sister had a rough day yesterday.  They took her for an X-Ray which exhausted her physically, because she had to stand for it. They wanted to get a clearer view of the partially paralyzed diaphragm. They discovered that her left lung was partially atrophied- most likely related to the diaphragm issue.  So she is still on oxygen and needs to gain strength before she can even start PT. But she is eating good, solid food and we are hoping that a good night’s sleep will help. Her Son is on his way back to Boston as I type this, and her Daughter heads down from Boston around 8:30. So again, I thank you all for your prayers and well wishes. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Terry, thinking of you & Tana. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Cocchi-Storico-Vermouth-di-Torino

I rarely think of Vermouth as a wine, but it does qualify. It sounds like a great choice for mixed drinks though. Readily available with online prices starting at $19.99.

Winemaker’s notes

Vermouth di Torino is a collective heritage of Piedmont, which sees in the royal Savoy court as first big promoter of a product which, mainly starting from the late XVIII century, generated a flourishing industry which led Piedmont to become the Kingdom of Vermouth.

Storico Vermouth di Torino is still produced according to the original recipe of Giulio Cocchi. This vermouth belongs to the category of the sweet vermouths, or Italian vermouths, sweet and amber as indicated in the manuals of the late XIX century.
Storico Vermouth di Torino Cocchi has been the protagonist of the international rebirth of the top-of-the-range vermouths and the renovated interest of the great barmen for the denomination Vermouth di Torino so that it is also familiarly denominated “Cocchi Torino”.

In a very short time, it’s become one of the top-of-the-range Vermouths chosen in the best bars of the world.

CHARACTERISTICS 

The original recipe of Giulio Cocchi calls for the use of herbs such as Cinchona and rhubarb which lightly colour of brown the beautiful clear wine. In order to emphasize its amber tone, the addition of sugar browned on fire emphasizes its amber tone, giving together with colour also a special note to the taste: crunchy and cotton candy able to round all the bitter tastes without using vanilla.
A thrilling vermouth, rich in sensations: among the herbs and the aromatizing spices, Artemisia and citrus are the protagonists with their balanced bitter and citrusy notes which characterize Cocchi style.
A rich taste with vibrant notes of cocoa and bitter orange. From the infusion of some noble and balsamic woods, we have in the end light aromas of camphor and rosemary notes. Among the minor ingredients, herbs and woods with unique perfumes such as sandal, musk, myrrh and nutmeg.

HOW TO DRINK 

Delicious when pure on ice and a small lemon zest, but also an essential base for the creation of the most classic cocktails from Negroni to Manhattan.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 15

Good Morning from Ft Lauderdale!  It’s wonderful to be in warmer weather.  We are at Hyatt Place on 10th Avenue, one block off 17th.  It is a nice hotel that I booked through ValueTrips because of the price.  (There are many pilots and flight attendants at the breakfast bar which I always think is a good sign.). We walked to the Boatyard for dinner last night.  Excellent setting next to the intercostal, excellent seafood but a bit pricey.  Plan on Ubering to the Nieuw Statendam about 10.  I did request a wave for Sailaway.  We will be on deck 5 in an aft cabin. 

Wishing everyone the best possible Sunday.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Good morning and thank you for the HAL FR & D.  Cemetery and 3 grocery stores are on the agenda today. 

2 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Hello from the Volendam.  I just got word that Baby Murphy went home. She will have to be on CPAP at home and will get 40 hours of nursing help.  I will update as I hear.  Have a great day!

Great news! 🙂🙏

Thank you all for caring and sharing.  Prayers 🙏 for everyone who needs them.  Cheers 🎉 for all the celebrations. 

• Like 25

Happy Sunday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

There is this bright yellow orb in the sky. Wait. It's the sun! Expecting 65 degrees today. I will be opening up the windows. The daffodils continue to open. Clocks spring forward next Sunday, March 10. 

Relaxing today as I am preparing for three intense days of training coming Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

27 Funny Sunday Memes That Are Perfect for Lazy Sundays

• Like 22
  • Haha 2

Good Sunday morning everyone.  Nice collection of days - I will celebrate Caregivers.  they are priceless and put those they are caring for above themselves ♥️ 

IMG_1616.thumb.jpeg.6dd5fc088fb9e5cbb5af069a39734953.jpeg

Some days I agree with the Woody Allen quote 😂. The soup sounds interesting and Dixie @summer slope today’s drink sounds really intriguing - especially on a warm day.  I’m writing this one down.  👍 

IMG_2185.thumb.jpeg.eb47ce380ac3a493d229967cdaad0d04.jpeg

great days in history indeed.  One of Canada’s best gifts to the world was the discovery of insulin IMO.  Vanessa @JazzyV I am so glad that your procedure has given you some relief and pray for your continued improvement 🙏 So grateful for the excellent news on Baby Murphy 👍 

IMG_1626.jpeg.7adb5c0a1d16bebec340a940955e88e0.jpeg

Raining here and we are back to above freezing.  I don’t think we need to worry about a snap freeze 🤞 Mother Nature is being kind until the forecasted big storm on Thursday. A good day to work on more boxes for pick up and my (ugh) exercises.

IMG_1631.jpeg.15f1a83ab82bd9ef8251fd42baa620ed.jpeg

prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health issues, worries & those that need them 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Good morning, everyone!

We have a cloudy start to the day, but it is supposed to clear up and be warm - about 63F.  Definitely unseasonably warm, but I will enjoy every minute of it.  We walked Dow Gardens yesterday for the first time this year and enjoyed the sunshine and warmth.  We may head out to Chippewa Nature Center today or City Forest.  

Great news about Baby Murphy!   I'm sure her parents are more than thrilled.  @0106 Tina, have a wonderful cruise!  @cat shepard Healing thoughts to your sister.  I hope today isn't quite as hard on her.  @StLouisCruisers Sandi, I chuckled about your chipmunk friend.  Sue has several who come up on the deck and tell her what's what on a regular basis.  It is funny to watch because they'll come up there, look at her, and start jabbering away at her.  Your cross stitch is gorgeous!  I don't have that patience.  @kazu I agree the drink sounds interesting.  I'd like to try it.  I'm making a list for the next time I'm on a BHB.  We had such fun the day we got together and tried the Chocolate Chicken.  

I know we won't have the soup tonight.  We have left overs that need to be eaten before they go bad.  But I did chuckle when I saw butternut squash.  This Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup with sweet pears a hint of ginger is vegan and dairy-free and so simple to make. Great as a starter or serve it as a meal with a salad or a sandwich.  https://www.skinnytaste.com/slow-cooker-butternut-pear-soup/

butternutandpearsoup1.jpg.32c9b8e5ec16ba400f52fea0610db685.jpg

One of the best things about squash is that it can take on both sweet and savory flavors. You can combine it with caramelized onions and spicy garlic sauce, or mix it with tons of cheese, or even top it with a casserole of sugary candied pecans.  If it is cooked down until tender, with a few chopped Royal Riviera Pears, the result is a delicious sweet and savory soup.

Garnished with a few drops of cream and some super thinly sliced scallions, this gourmet soup is the perfect winter meal.  https://www.harryanddavid.com/blog/pear-and-butternut-squash-soup-recipe

butternutsquashsoup2.thumb.jpg.54f84aa8497ce91f64e02495e5c372a9.jpg

This one gets rave reviews.  One reader suggests adding a touch of cinnamon to the soup.  I'm sure that would work beautifully.   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/butternut-squash-pear-soup/

butternutsquashsoup3.thumb.jpg.44bb636057f0d116d8651253d9cdf4c8.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 19

Good sunny morning. It’s going to be a beautiful day.

What wonderful news about Baby Murphy ❤️🎉. She truly is a fighter.

Still no posting from @Crazy For Cats. I hope he is okay. I miss his cat memes.

Today is the official start of the Iditarod. Prayers for a safe race.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 26

Good Morning from a warm but cloudy at the beach

Good selection of days. As I am the caregiver for my DD, I know how hard it is. It is something that involves you emotionally, physically and financially. But she is my heart . She has taught me what is truly important in life and not to sweat the small stuff.  

@cruising sister Excellent news on Baby Murphy!

@cat shepard    Glad your DS is able to eat. Hopefully with more rest and time, she will regain her strength.

@0106 Have a wonderful trip!

Heard yesterday that Port Canaveral is taking land by eminent domain to build another terminal. Some upset people. They really need to improve the access roads to the port. It is a red hot mess there somedays. 

Not much on my agenda today . Have to post the tee times for Fridays tournament.  

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui. Roy, thank you for our maps. 

Vanessa, you are one of the few bright spots in my last week. Your progress gives me hope for my Sister. Thank you for sharing it with us. Thank you for keeping up with all of us. We have a lot going on. 

My Sister had a rough day yesterday.  They took her for an X-Ray which exhausted her physically, because she had to stand for it. They wanted to get a clearer view of the partially paralyzed diaphragm. They discovered that her left lung was partially atrophied- most likely related to the diaphragm issue.  So she is still on oxygen and needs to gain strength before she can even start PT. But she is eating good, solid food and we are hoping that a good night’s sleep will help. Her Son is on his way back to Boston as I type this, and her Daughter heads down from Boston around 8:30. So again, I thank you all for your prayers and well wishes. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Terry, thinking of you & Tana. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Cocchi-Storico-Vermouth-di-Torino

I rarely think of Vermouth as a wine, but it does qualify. It sounds like a great choice for mixed drinks though. Readily available with online prices starting at $19.99.

Winemaker’s notes

Vermouth di Torino is a collective heritage of Piedmont, which sees in the royal Savoy court as first big promoter of a product which, mainly starting from the late XVIII century, generated a flourishing industry which led Piedmont to become the Kingdom of Vermouth.

Storico Vermouth di Torino is still produced according to the original recipe of Giulio Cocchi. This vermouth belongs to the category of the sweet vermouths, or Italian vermouths, sweet and amber as indicated in the manuals of the late XIX century.
Storico Vermouth di Torino Cocchi has been the protagonist of the international rebirth of the top-of-the-range vermouths and the renovated interest of the great barmen for the denomination Vermouth di Torino so that it is also familiarly denominated “Cocchi Torino”.

In a very short time, it’s become one of the top-of-the-range Vermouths chosen in the best bars of the world.

CHARACTERISTICS 

The original recipe of Giulio Cocchi calls for the use of herbs such as Cinchona and rhubarb which lightly colour of brown the beautiful clear wine. In order to emphasize its amber tone, the addition of sugar browned on fire emphasizes its amber tone, giving together with colour also a special note to the taste: crunchy and cotton candy able to round all the bitter tastes without using vanilla.
A thrilling vermouth, rich in sensations: among the herbs and the aromatizing spices, Artemisia and citrus are the protagonists with their balanced bitter and citrusy notes which characterize Cocchi style.
A rich taste with vibrant notes of cocoa and bitter orange. From the infusion of some noble and balsamic woods, we have in the end light aromas of camphor and rosemary notes. Among the minor ingredients, herbs and woods with unique perfumes such as sandal, musk, myrrh and nutmeg.

HOW TO DRINK 

Delicious when pure on ice and a small lemon zest, but also an essential base for the creation of the most classic cocktails from Negroni to Manhattan.

Ann, sorry to hear of your sister's struggle with her lungs but she sounds strong and has a lot of support from you and her son and daughter.  Good luck to her with her PT and recovery!  She's in our prayers. 🙏

37 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Good Morning from Ft Lauderdale!  It’s wonderful to be in warmer weather.  We are at Hyatt Place on 10th Avenue, one block off 17th.  It is a nice hotel that I booked through ValueTrips because of the price.  (There are many pilots and flight attendants at the breakfast bar which I always think is a good sign.). We walked to the Boatyard for dinner last night.  Excellent setting next to the intercostal, excellent seafood but a bit pricey.  Plan on Ubering to the Nieuw Statendam about 10.  I did request a wave for Sailaway.  We will be on deck 5 in an aft cabin. 

Wishing everyone the best possible Sunday.

Tina, we've stayed at Hyatt Place on 10th Avenue twice.  It's a nice place to stay, and close to so many important things like restaurants, grocery, wine, and shopping.  Once we booked it on ParkSleepHotels.com and added car parking for 8 days.  The other time through their website.  Definitely more trouble going through a third party site but it eventually worked out thanks to due diligence in checking/calling the hotel.  We used the hotel shuttle lady for a ride to the ship both times and she gave us her card.  Avanti Shuttle (Debora Rojas) 954-655-1376.  It wasn't too high for a ride to the ship.  Uber can't be much either since it's so close (we don't do Uber since it's been practically non-existent in our county).  We will look for you at sail away.  What color are you wearing?

6 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

We have a cloudy start to the day, but it is supposed to clear up and be warm - about 63F.  Definitely unseasonably warm, but I will enjoy every minute of it.  We walked Dow Gardens yesterday for the first time this year and enjoyed the sunshine and warmth.  We may head out to Chippewa Nature Center today or City Forest.  

Great news about Baby Murphy!   I'm sure her parents are more than thrilled.  @0106 Tina, have a wonderful cruise!  @cat shepard Healing thoughts to your sister.  I hope today isn't quite as hard on her.  @StLouisCruisers Sandi, I chuckled about your chipmunk friend.  Sue has several who come up on the deck and tell her what's what on a regular basis.  It is funny to watch because they'll come up there, look at her, and start jabbering away at her.  Your cross stitch is gorgeous!  I don't have that patience.  @kazu I agree the drink sounds interesting.  I'd like to try it.  I'm making a list for the next time I'm on a BHB.  We had such fun the day we got together and tried the Chocolate Chicken.  

I know we won't have the soup tonight.  We have left overs that need to be eaten before they go bad.  But I did chuckle when I saw butternut squash.  This Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup with sweet pears a hint of ginger is vegan and dairy-free and so simple to make. Great as a starter or serve it as a meal with a salad or a sandwich.  https://www.skinnytaste.com/slow-cooker-butternut-pear-soup/

butternutandpearsoup1.jpg.32c9b8e5ec16ba400f52fea0610db685.jpg

One of the best things about squash is that it can take on both sweet and savory flavors. You can combine it with caramelized onions and spicy garlic sauce, or mix it with tons of cheese, or even top it with a casserole of sugary candied pecans.  If it is cooked down until tender, with a few chopped Royal Riviera Pears, the result is a delicious sweet and savory soup.

Garnished with a few drops of cream and some super thinly sliced scallions, this gourmet soup is the perfect winter meal.  https://www.harryanddavid.com/blog/pear-and-butternut-squash-soup-recipe

butternutsquashsoup2.thumb.jpg.54f84aa8497ce91f64e02495e5c372a9.jpg

This one gets rave reviews.  One reader suggests adding a touch of cinnamon to the soup.  I'm sure that would work beautifully.   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/butternut-squash-pear-soup/

butternutsquashsoup3.thumb.jpg.44bb636057f0d116d8651253d9cdf4c8.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Debbie, how would Sue like another little chipmunk friend?  We could trap and send him up to you two.  Though he might be unprepared for really cold weather so you might have to invite him inside.  😂

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5