The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday March 6th, 2024

kazu

Today is Alamo Day, Day of Memorial And Respect For Veterans, and Discover What Your Name Means Day

Only the very weak-minded refuse to be influenced by literature and poetry.--Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel

Meal Suggestion for today - Slow-Cooker Beef-Barley Soup with Red Wine & Pesto
Drink of the Day - Hurricane
Wine of the Day - Cava Flama d’Or Brut 
Destination of the Day - Hilo, Hawaii, US

Today in History:
1836 Battle of the Alamo: After 13 days of fighting 1,500-3,000 Mexican soldiers overwhelm the Texan defenders, killing 182-257 Texans including William Travis, Jim Bowie and Davy Crockett
1869 Dmitri Mendeleev presents the first periodic table of the elements to the Russian Chemical Society
1899 "Aspirin" (acetylsalicylic acid) patented by Felix Hoffmann at German company Bayer

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 7:00-15:00 

Koningsdam

Raiatea Island, Uturoa, French Polynesia - 17:00 

Nieuw Amsterdam

St Thomas Island USVI, Charlotte Amalie, US Virgin Islands 07:00 - 16:00 

Nieuw Statendam

Georgetown, Cayman Islands 

Oosterdam

Buenos Aires, Argentina - 18:00 

Rotterdam

Grand Cayman Island, George Town Harbour 07:00 - 16:00 

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Port-of-Spain, Trinidad eta 03-10

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Port Arthur, Tasmania Australia 10:00 - 17:00 

Volendam

Dunedin, Port Chalmers, New Zealand 08:00 - 18:00 

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Kagoshima City, Japan Kagoshima eta 03-08

Zuiderdam

Shanghai, China 08:00 -

• Like 15
  • Thanks 20

Good morning from the beach where it is 43°F and cloudy but our banana breads and coffee/ hot chocolate is nice.

Thank you Roy and Jacqui for today's daily.

3 good days.

Meal sounds okay.

Good history days.

We have been to today's port on our Hawaiian cruise on Grand Princess in November/December 2019.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

IMG_20240306_100525_BURST001_COVER.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Happy Hump Day. 

Thanks for the Report.  Love the maps.

Cool and cloudy here today, but no snow, at least for a few days.

We have lots of respect for veterans.  Thank you for your service.

I agree with the quote.

The meal sounds interesting.  I'm sure the drink and wine are wonderful too.

I haven't been to today's port, maybe someday.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 24

Today’s Care List:

Cat Shepard’s DSis post emergency stomach surgery, slowly improving

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck’s arterial surgery yesterday

Ottahand7 post skin cancer removal 

Fires in the Texas panhandle and OK; snow in CA and CAN

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; loss of US military members

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Haljo1945 with a frozen shoulder, PT for now

Atexsix’s DD now in hospice care

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

StLouisCruisers’ DGD Morgan finding a safer place to live

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy discharged to home!

Rafinmd’s oncologist pleased with his PSA numbers

RMLincoln’s DH Richard doing well after his eye procedure, tapering drops

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

LAFFNVEGAS (Winstar Wind Surf to Mar 9) 7d Classic Caribbean, Nickelpenny (Zaandam to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer, Mtn2Sea (Zaandam to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer,0106 (Nieuw Statendam to Mar 17) 14d W/E Caribbean, w/BFF, USN59-79 (Seabourn Sojourn to Mar 24) 33d Sydney to Taipei + 17d in Taipei, Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap(Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 17

Hurricane cocktail:

The hurricane cocktail is a sweet alcoholic drink made with rum, lemon juice, and either passion fruit syrup or fassionola. It is one of many popular drinks served in New Orleans. It is traditionally served in the tall, curvy eponymous hurricane glass. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Rum
Ingredients: Half part Over proofed rum, Lemon juice, One part Dark rum, One part Light rum, Passion fruit syrup
Preparation: Shake the rums, passion fruit syrup, and lemon juice with ice, then pour into the glass and serve over ice.
Served: "On the rocks"; poured over ice
Drinkware: Hurricane glass

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 6.39.49 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 15

Good morning friends!  Well, it's still raining off and on and that's what this day will be like.  Temp is 59F and the high will only be about 65.  I wish we could send some of this rain to drought areas because I've seen enough!

Thanks to Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for posting the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the fleet location maps for Rich @richwmn.  We appreciate it!

Today let's recognize the Alamo, our veterans, and our name meaning.  It is also Dentist Day.  We're giving our slow cookers a workout lately aren't we?  Should be interesting to see the recipe for the Beef Barley soup.  I try to avoid Hurricanes and need to hear some details on the wine of the day.  Again, today is all about the Alamo, not to mention the periodic table in Russia and aspirin.  Thank you to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for the F&B reports!

Prayers for our Care list here on the Daily, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, our troops on ships and bases in the war areas, my DB and friends Scott and Susan.  I hope Chuck @catmando and Annie @marshhawk had a good night's rest and he heals quickly.  Ann @cat shepard I hope DSis is coming along well in her surgical recovery.  Vanessa @JazzyV thank you for the list keeping, and I hope you are slowly getting back to your old self.  Take care and don't overdo it!

The port today is Hilo, Hawaii.  This was the port on Sept. 30, 2021 and Oct. 10, 2022.  We've enjoyed 4 visits there but in the past I was busy on "Hilo Day" so didn't post photos and don't think I'll do so today.  I'll just take a break, and I'm sure you can all post your beautiful photos.  Here are the links to help you out.

Hoping you all have a good day.  Stay safe and keep well!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Happy Wednesday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Another rainy and foggy day. I miss the sunshine. I love anything with a slow cooker. Just makes life a whole lot easier. Clients this afternoon and grading assignments in the morning. 

Thinking of all on the are list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating.

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Pin on WEDNESDAY MEMES

• Like 25
  • Haha 2

Good morning from the Atlantic Ocean. We have made it out of the Amazon River. 😢 3 good days to celebrate, good quote, pass on the meal and drinks and have been to Hilo on my Hawaii cruise last November. What wonderful days in history. 

IMG_6399.thumb.jpeg.588eccba03a50c9e2b6efc59d1dbc72c.jpeg

Slept in this morning as I was up late -went to the 9 pm show which was the RK group. I saw them on my last cruise and I think they are very good. This morning a beautiful rainbow appeared. We still have several days at sea before the next port and we can now make water. We were asked to conserve as we couldn’t get as much water in Manaus as they wanted. I think we will be able to get laundry done today and towels are back in the restrooms. 😁  Bugs have remarkably diminished unfortunately and I will miss them. 😢

IMG_6415.thumb.jpeg.00454181e1652d949300ff394af4d399.jpeg

IMG_6407.thumb.jpeg.22368c7a67782f566eb047e4e1c57a6a.jpeg

IMG_6404.thumb.jpeg.4090b9d904d589f7d849f10bafa936cd.jpeg

IMG_6405.thumb.jpeg.92c7fc535d9ba6fa97c07238adeadfbc.jpeg

Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers for those celebrating!  Have a great day!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Ann, Dixie, and Debbie for the Hump Day report.  Three good days to celebrate today. 

I like the quote today.

Loss of the Alamo was a temporary setback but I'll gladly celebrate the periodic table and aspirin.

I've visited Hilo twice, 1992 on a land trip and 2010 on Crystal Serenity, ironically the site of my sunrise yesterday.

I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Watermelon Gazpacho,Filet Mignon, and Apple Strudel as served on MS Prinsendam March 6, 2019:

dishes06.jpg

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.

Hilo was our first port of call on our Grand Princess Hawaiian cruise on November 23rd 2019.

Our shuttle dropped us off at a shopping centre and we had a walk around and a snack and drink in Starbucks then went back to the ship.

IMG_20240306_121227.jpg

IMG_20240306_120659.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Today's sunrise is sort of from my 2016 Crystal Symphony Antarctica cruise.  It was taken from Miami before boarding Amtrak's Silver Meteor going home:

dawn0306.jpg

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Thank you Jacqui, thank you Eva, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

It appears that I jumped the gun yesterday! But, we are probably just kicking the can down the road. I really appreciated all the kind words that were said yesterday. 

Sam, has had a complete turnaround from the weekend! Saturday he was in pain almost unable to stand without great difficulty. A couple of times I used a towel as a sling to move his rear legs. Yesterday, after I wrote my contribution to the Daily yesterday - Sam barked to go on his walk, was anxious to have his afternoon dinner, and was back to his current normal! He still is an old dog so moves slow, but he can move. Reflexes are still good as I toss him treats that he catches midair. I just was having trouble yesterday on maybe cancelling Friday. My younger daughter came over with Lily to say goodbye. Her feelings were to delay.  She said it might be next week, maybe two weeks - but just not now.

I have decided to call the vet late today to cancel Friday.

We are booked to be on the Rotterdam April 7 - 13. It is DSIL's 75th birthday that week. Sue and DSIL's brother was going to dogsit with Sam. But I have decided to stay home with Sam just in case. He does not do well with warm weather being a Northern breed so I expect  that this is a brief respite. But Sam can still be Sam for now!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 30
  • Thanks 6

2 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Jacqui, thank you Eva, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

It appears that I jumped the gun yesterday! But, we are probably just kicking the can down the road. I really appreciated all the kind words that were said yesterday. 

Sam, has had a complete turnaround from the weekend! Saturday he was in pain almost unable to stand without great difficulty. A couple of times I used a towel as a sling to move his rear legs. Yesterday, after I wrote my contribution to the Daily yesterday - Sam barked to go on his walk, was anxious to have his afternoon dinner, and was back to his current normal! He still is an old dog so moves slow, but he can move. Reflexes are still good as I toss him treats that he catches midair. I just was having trouble yesterday on maybe cancelling Friday. My younger daughter came over with Lily to say goodbye. Her feelings were to delay.  She said it might be next week, maybe two weeks - but just not now.

We are booked to be on the Rotterdam April 7 - 13. It is DSIL's 75th birthday that week. Sue and DSIL's brother was going to dogsit with Sam. But I have decided to stay home with Sam just in case. He does not do well with warm weather being a Northern breed so I expect  that this is a brief respite. But Sam can still be Sam for now!

- Jack

Prayers 🙏 for Sam's health.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

- Jack

Another tough decision, Jack, but you know your dog. Wishing you all the best.

btw, thank you for mentioning me but Debbie is back doing the meal of the day. I can’t take credit for the great job she does. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!

@Heartgrove  No problem giving Eva credit.  She did a fantastic job while I was gone.  I'm glad Sam has rebounded and I hope it is for a good, long time.  

It is a chilly and overcast start to the day here in mid-Michigan. The forecast calls for partly sunny skies and 46F as our high.  That will be an improvement over yesterday with the rain.  My left hand is pretty sore today.  I can still use it for everything, but it is stiff from yesterday's injury.  The thumb is definitely swollen a bit and still feels funny.  But, I have good mobility with it, so not too worried.  I can pick up my coffee cup with no problem, so the important function is still there.

Today's meal would be a good one for those on the frozen tundra.  I hope @ger_77 is doing well with all the snow and safely tucked inside.  This sounds like a flavorful soup with the red wine and pesto.  https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/276940/slow-cooker-beef-barley-soup-with-red-wine-pesto/

beefbarleysoupredwinepesto1.thumb.jpg.5e99278f62b693f5b6ee346b721356cd.jpg

This one adds some little potatoes and green beans.  https://eatbreathelove.net/red-wine-beef-barley-soup/

beefbarleysoupredwinepesto2.thumb.jpeg.a57bbc5962bca48d8e9424f442c76986.jpeg

And this one includes pumpkin cubes.  I'm sure you could easily substitute butternut squash for the pumpkin.  https://ajeanneinthekitchen.com/2018/12/19/beef-barley-soup-with-red-wine-and-pesto/

beefbarleysoupredwinepesto3.thumb.jpg.30e13228a745e74470533f9a43e16b97.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 14

Good morning everyone!  It is a gray day here in Michigan and I doubt it will get out of the 40s.  Thanks for the Daily Reports and maps Jacqui and Roy.   I will pass on the soup and the strong cocktail but I will take just about any Cava.  Really looking forward to today's port as we will be visiting in early 2025.    

Prayers for everyone on our care list, especially Chuck and Tana.  Prayers for those in war zones, Ukraine and the innocents in Gaza.   

I am sticking around home today, I am reworking a PowerPoint presentation for a class I will be teaching for Landscaping School for the Michigan Garden Club's and at 2 pm will be taking part in Zoom training for presenters.   My arm is doing very well!  Nancy 

• Like 29

Good Wednesday Morning Dailyites!  It's rainy and cloudy, but we are going to get a break tomorrow...and then back to rain for the weekend. 

I know I was asleep before 11, and got up once, and slept until 7.  Due to the fact that lying down for too long hurts the entire body, I got up. We hae shutters in the bedroom, and when the temps went down to near 0 in January, I  put a dark colored towel over the shutters on the east side.  Our bedroom stays so dark now.  If there wasnt the pain of lying too long, I would probably sleep until the afternoon sun came through the slats .

Meaning of my name, well, Ann means grace.  I should have been born on a Tuesday, but no, I was born on a Friday (Friday’s child is loving and giving).  I am not that graceful.

But I have God's grace.

I have nicknames that make more sense.  The most popular one is Mouse.  In fact the gentleman at Wild Birds Unlimited refers to us as the Mice family. I keep telling him that I am the Mouse,and he says that since two of us show up it doesnt matter what DH's last name is.  It's more than one mouse.

Another one of my great nicknames, and one that I do understand is  "Runs with scissors" .

I have not been to Hawaii.  Nor is it on my "list".

I saw on the news this morning, that Atlanta's  most iconic restaurant-Mary Mac's Tea Room, had their roof collapse last night during the storm, and they will be closed for quite a while.  Our favorite bakery and German restaurant had a fire last month, and they too will be closed for a while.  If this keeps happening, we will have to eat all our meals at home. 🙀

Being a cat mom-Are we the only ones who say-Get your tail out of my coffee?

4712ffe8e2057c38b1ad8fd8c6a92389.jpg

• Like 23
  • Haha 4

Thank you for Jacqui for today’s FR & D. Roy, thank you for our maps!

Vanessa, thank you for not giving up & and taking such great care of our lists. 

My Sister had a decent day yesterday. She had a PT session that tired her a bit, but she was getting out of bed and moving to the recliner chair and back. Her A-fib and O2 numbers are still not where they need to be, so some meds may be changed.  Though she isn’t ready to go home yet, she may move to a skilled nursing facility in a few days. The family is hoping we get some say where she goes. Thank you all again for your well wishes and prayers. 

Cava Flama d’Or Brut 

Priced to try and widely available. Sounds like a fun sip on a hot, humid day. Online prices start at $11.99.

Distributors notes

"Straw-colored yellow with green tones. Fine, persistent bubbles. Bright appearance. Accentuated aroma of fresh grapes, with signs of ripe fruit and of citric fruits, very pleasant and characteristic of aging in the bottle. In the mouth it is extremely vivacious, compensated for by a pleasant equilibrium and elegance. Aftertaste is fruity, evoking the apple, pear and a hint of citric. Balanced, fruity and persistent."

• Like 17
  • Thanks 13