NUTS!

Guest Snaxmuppet

Guest Snaxmuppet

I love to eat nuts as a snack during the day and in the evening as a snack with a drink.

Can anyone remember if nuts are available at the bars or anywhere else on board?

Would I be permitted to take my own nuts on board with me?

Any help appreciated? TIA 🙂 

My husband has requested nuts to top his oatmeal in the MDR, and they were happy to bring him a bowl of nuts!!!   Not sure if one could count on nuts in the Buffet with the oatmeal???

I would def. bring my favorites onboard with me!

Posted (edited)

If you really want them you can bring along some. No issue. What happens on one ship, one sailing may not be the same on all ships. 

None in Crooners this past month on the Ruby. Hopefully they will return at some point. Unsalted peanuts were available in a small bowl as a salad topping in the Horizon Ct. Can't be certain they will always be there. I did see some people place a few spoonfuls into a bowl.

Edited by skynight

With all the peanut allergies out there I have not seen them at bars for several years   My wife will have issues just from the dust in the air

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Remember if you bring them on the ship you may not be able to take them off due to local regulations.  Enjoy.

I would make sure they are pre packaged

• Like 2

You can ask in the MDR at breakfast for a bowl of them. Bring your ziplock baggie.  Also, I’ve always seen nuts at the Horizon/Marketplace at breakfast (near the oatmeal) and at lunch (near the salads).

If you want a bowl, just ask at the buffet and they can go back and get it for you. 

We sometimes ask for extra olives (lunchtime at buffet) and take to our cabin for later with wine and cheese. 

We bring on small sealed packages of snacks/nuts/crackers for our excursions,  (Depends on the ports) if we take them off.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, startedwithamouse said:

Just try not to bring peanuts onboard due to allergies other guests may have.

Even if you consume in your cabin, there's peanut dust. 

In your own cabin I doubt the dust will affect anyone else unless you are on your balcony 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, memoak said:

In your own cabin I doubt the dust will affect anyone else unless you are on your balcony 

The room steward doesn't get every single spec of dust out of the cabin from one cruise to the next. 

For example, eat the nuts, perhaps some spill from the package into a bedside drawer. Person with allergy stores clothing in there. 

Eats peanuts on bed with throw pillow. Do they get changed from cruise to cruise? No. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

The room steward doesn't get every single spec of dust out of the cabin from one cruise to the next. 

For example, eat the nuts, perhaps some spill from the package into a bedside drawer. Person with allergy stores clothing in there. 

Eats peanuts on bed with throw pillow. Do they get changed from cruise to cruise? No. 

My wife is deathly allergic and in 60 cruises it has never been an issue

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I enjoyed nuts at Groomers and Club 6 on Regal in 2022 and 2023. 

And on CB in Nov 2023, at Crooners and Wheelhouse... On Sky in Take 5, 2024. 

Nuts in the buffets on all of those also, with the cheese plate areas, but not a huge amounts. Also some dried fruits.  

As noted - if you want a specific time, or to be sure you have them, bring them with you. Single serve packets or a larger bag you portion out, either works.. 

10 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Sometimes when we've stayed in a suite there is a dish of nuts covered with plastic wrap as a welcome gift.  I would hope that someone with such a severe allergy that a spec on a pillow could be deadly would have to take precautions not only in cruise cabins but also hotel rooms.  Nuts are an easy snack and I would guess that there could be residue in any accommodation used by multiple guests.

We always buy cashew nuts whenever we come across a supermarket while wandering around a port.

Mostly eat them when I'm having a Peroni or three at different ship bars. 

We always bring our zip locks to load up on snacks in the buffet. 

Nuts and dried fruit for the road.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 555 said:

We always bring our zip locks to load up on snacks in the buffet. 

Nuts and dried fruit for the road.

If you take them off shi and they are not prepackaged they may be confiscated as you hit the pier. Many ports have dogs to sniff out prohibited food 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, memoak said:

With all the peanut allergies out there I have not seen them at bars for several years   My wife will have issues just from the dust in the air

Definitely avoid MSC if that is the case. They serve little bowls of chips and peanuts every evening in all the bars onboard.

Edited by JamieLogical

Guest Snaxmuppet

Thanks for all your great suggestions. 🙂

I will be careful regarding contamination in case others have allergy but nuts are a common snack food in a lot of places so I am sure I can keep others safe and still enjoy them... I will do my best 🙂

Enjoy!!!!

And, as mentioned..  if you want to carry some off the ship at port, for your lunch or snack, then take some sealed unopened small packages.  I don't know the odds,  but would imagine that these would be considered 'agricultural products' that are not allowed at many ports.  I don't think it would be a problem with sealed processed packages.

If there are signs about taking food off the ship, customs, dogs....  then you might want to ask to be sure, and forfeit them on the dock if they are not allowed...  I wouldn't want to risk the automatic fines that could possibly be enforced.