Crows Nest closed from 4-9 every evening for private (park west) group - Oostradam

The Crows Nest bar....the only place on the ship to sit quietly for a drink/specialty coffee and the only place to sit with a view forward....has been reserved (closed to the public) for a private Park West group (selling artwork).  The Crows nest is one of the quiet venues for drinks and the specialty coffee area on the ship where you can sit and just look at the water or chat with folks.

We have cruised with groups on board many of our cruises on many cruise lines, but they haven't impacted us...their events are held in private areas or in a part of a larger area....in this case, HAL has blocked the entire room/area.  This is a first...and unwelcome change.  I think we all understand changes due to mechanical issues, weather, unreachable ports.....but this is just Holland America marketing prioritizing a group over their other 1800+ passengers and many many of us are 3,4,5 star frequent cruisers.  Many passengers as well as the ship's officers and crew are unhappy about this new change and the officers are recommending that we voice our concerns to HAL HQ...because there's nothing they can do..it was a corporate decision.

Be very careful booking a Holland America cruise.....especially if you are going on a scenic cruise because you may find that the only place to view out the front of the ship is closed to you. 

We have some future HAL cruises booked that include scenic cruising (Chilean fjords, etc) and we are thinking of moving those cruises to a different cruise line....due to this HQ decision to allow private groups to take over major areas during their peak use hours for the entire cruise.

• Like 9

Posted (edited)

HAL continues to make horrible decisions, who the hell is in charge in this disaster of a cruise line.

They lost our business about 19 months ago and not sure if we will ever sail with them again.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 6

That is something I would complain about on ship, immediately using the app and dropping a note into the box at guest services.  We had a similar issue on the  Oosterdam where the art studio was closed except during art presentations.  That is stupid. I complained and gave notice that I would be going behind the velvet rope at will

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Just now, Mary229 said:

That is something I would complain about on ship, immediately using the app and dropping a note into the box at guest services.  We had a similar issue on the  Oosterdam where the art studio was closed except during art presentations.  That is stupid. I complained and gave notice that I would be going behind the velvet rope at will

PS when you complain on app Seattle receives a direct message also.  I was saddened to see Park West back onboard.  They were almost sued out of existence but now they are back. Yuck

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

The Crows Nest bar....the only place on the ship to sit quietly for a drink/specialty coffee and the only place to sit with a view forward....has been reserved (closed to the public) for a private Park West group (selling artwork).  The Crows nest is one of the quiet venues for drinks and the specialty coffee area on the ship where you can sit and just look at the water or chat with folks.

We have cruised with groups on board many of our cruises on many cruise lines, but they haven't impacted us...their events are held in private areas or in a part of a larger area....in this case, HAL has blocked the entire room/area.  This is a first...and unwelcome change.  I think we all understand changes due to mechanical issues, weather, unreachable ports.....but this is just Holland America marketing prioritizing a group over their other 1800+ passengers and many many of us are 3,4,5 star frequent cruisers.  Many passengers as well as the ship's officers and crew are unhappy about this new change and the officers are recommending that we voice our concerns to HAL HQ...because there's nothing they can do..it was a corporate decision.

Be very careful booking a Holland America cruise.....especially if you are going on a scenic cruise because you may find that the only place to view out the front of the ship is closed to you. 

We have some future HAL cruises booked that include scenic cruising (Chilean fjords, etc) and we are thinking of moving those cruises to a different cruise line....due to this HQ decision to allow private groups to take over major areas during their peak use hours for the entire cruise.

Send a note on Navigator, as has been suggested. Also note to guest services. The more complaints , the swifter the action. Hopefully!

• Like 6

There were threads last year on the NCL boards about NCL doing the same thing on the Prima closing their observation deck, also for Park West. The complaints worked. The practice was discontinued, and those affected by it did receive some OBC.

So, be sure and complain. Enough complaints should make them come to their senses.

• Like 9

Posted (edited)

It only takes a moment to write a complaint on the Navigator app, and that feedback goes up the chain as well. Send one daily. Get everyone who wants to use the Crows Nest to send one as well. In addition, go to the art showing. Buy a specialty coffee. Enjoy it as you look anywhere but at the art.

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2

Wow...this is the second time in one week I have read about a large group disrupting ship activities for non-group members on the ship.  I have been reading the HAL board on CC for 10+ years and I never saw this mentioned before and now two at the same time...what is HAL doing.

FYI...here is the other thread about closing the lower dining room for anytime dining after 6:30 PM to accommodate a large group:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3003701-what-to-do-received-limited-dining-email-this-morning/

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

It only takes a moment to write a complaint on the Navigator app, and that feedback goes up the chain as well. Send one daily. Get everyone who wants to use the Crows Nest to send one as well. In addition, go to the art showing. Buy a specialty coffee. Enjoy it as you look anywhere but at the art.

DW went up to the Crow's Nest on the Oosterdam an hour or so ago (a little after three) to get us coffee to go. She relates that most of it is curtained off and you can't even walk fully around the bar and there are rows of chairs behind the curtains. I also heard that Parke West has a considerable group on board.

Possibly the Crow's Nest closure is part of the reason why the Captain opened the bow in Villefrance yesterday. I did not hear if he has done the same today in Livorno.

Edited by Wehwalt
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Torquer said:

Wow...this is the second time in one week I have read about a large group disrupting ship activities for non-group members on the ship.  I have been reading the HAL board on CC for 10+ years and I never saw this mentioned before and now two at the same time...what is HAL doing.

FYI...here is the other thread about closing the lower dining room for anytime dining after 6:30 PM to accommodate a large group:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3003701-what-to-do-received-limited-dining-email-this-morning/

Not really, HAL has always been a bifurcated cruise line but that division is growing. As a business person I understand precisely what they are doing.  

They are maximizing profits on their most competitive sector - the under 2 week mass market sailing.  They are perhaps even subsidizing their classic venture of the long, unique itinerary for the seasoned traveler.   The first is easy to figure out - just watch your competition and pick off the most profitable ideas.  

The second is going after the fuller wallets and maintaining much of the ambiance.  HAL does not want to be a luxury line, its higher end clientele want to travel well but don’t want to be smothered with butlers and caviar. This clientele will splurge on long exotic voyages and the take the grandkids on vacation in Alaska.  It is a solid target. 

• Like 6

My first thought is this. I can absolutely see what HAL is doing. They are using groups to subsidize their cruises and make a profit. Do we want cruise fares to increase significantly or should HAL book group events on their cruises in lieu of increasing fares?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KAKcruiser said:

I don't believe that booking groups will prevent HAL from increasing fares.  I think they will do both.

I think the under 14 day cruises will increase with industry competition, that would be the point.  However the grands and legendaries have small perks that I do believe are subsidized by the mass market itineraries.  My cost on lengendaries when compared to my costs on standard mass market sailings is hardly a smidge more however the experience is heads and tails above from reports here on cruise critic. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Torquer said:

Large groups taking over dining times happened fairly often in the Before Time. Not so much since the break, but the groups and charters are starting up again. Mostly, it happens on 1-week cruises because those sell well for the people in the group. It's why I won't book a 7-day or a 14-day that's two 7s back-to-back. I don't trust HAL to not load a large group onto one of the weeks, or even charter it after lots of people have already booked. 

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Groups are starting to come back post covid.

There is a huge group at the Kapalua ritz Carlton right now. Last night they took over the entire beach bar area. I’d be ticked paying 2k a night and having the hotel amenities reduced.

Unfortunately hAl isn’t the only line doing this. NCL reserved their observation lounge (same concept as crows nest) for the entire voyage of an Alaskan scenic cruise, and I believe the room was reserved 24 hours a day.

Not saying it’s right, just saying that this is happening across the industry (land and sea). I always check for big groups before booking and avoid if possible.

Sorry the OP had this experience. Just because it’s fairly common doesn’t make it pleasant. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Large groups taking over dining times happened fairly often in the Before Time. Not so much since the break, but the groups and charters are starting up again. Mostly, it happens on 1-week cruises because those sell well for the people in the group. It's why I won't book a 7-day or a 14-day that's two 7s back-to-back. I don't trust HAL to not load a large group onto one of the weeks, or even charter it after lots of people have already booked. 

Exactly.

And that’s why there have been threads keeping up ( or trying to) with the large group bookings.

• Like 4

I think if the Cruise line is charging me full fare for a cruise, I have an expectation that I will be able to use the amenities that come with the booking. If the cruise line decides that some group who may or may not have paid full fare should have exclusive use of amenities they just rented to me (in my full fare) I'm going to be looking for compensation. I really don't care that the contract says "we (the cruise line) can do whatever we want; all contracts are based on a "meeting of the minds" as it were and if at the time of my booking you said that amenities such as the Crows Nest or anytime dining are included in my fare. Then Bob's Book club shows up with 600 passengers (most likely with discounted fares) and I (full fare booked well in advance) is now excluded from these things, well they have broken that contract.

• Like 16

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Groups are starting to come back post covid.

There is a huge group at the Kapalua ritz Carlton right now. Last night they took over the entire beach bar area. I’d be ticked paying 2k a night and having the hotel amenities reduced.

Unfortunately hAl isn’t the only line doing this. NCL reserved their observation lounge (same concept as crows nest) for the entire voyage of an Alaskan scenic cruise, and I believe the room was reserved 24 hours a day.

Not saying it’s right, just saying that this is happening across the industry (land and sea). I always check for big groups before booking and avoid if possible.

Sorry the OP had this experience. Just because it’s fairly common doesn’t make it pleasant. 

How does one check to see if any of these groups are on a sailing?  I would not be pleased if I am not permitted to use the advertised areas of the ship. The crow's nest is number one reason I book Holland.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, shiner6 said:

How does one check to see if any of these groups are on a sailing?  I would not be pleased if I am not permitted to use the advertised areas of the ship. The crow's nest is number one reason I book Holland.  

@VMax1700 has a thread that he updates every month, and a lot of the results he gets are from people letting him know of the full charters and groups.  Unfortunately, this one is not listed. but he does a great job nonetheless.  I have cancelled cruises because of who the group is onboard.

L.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1