The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday May 6th, 2024

56 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

Happy Nurses Day to those of you who are, or were, myself included.  Tried to post a Gif but it didn't work.

Nurses deserve lots of days.

334030.gif

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning to everyone on this list. Hope you are feeling good and have a spring in your step.my lilacs are blooming nicely and the pink tulips are lovely. 
in two days we will be in Vancouver ready to sail on Koningsdam

• Like 24

47 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Just a brief check in. BFF called this morning saying he thought he’d broken his ankle. He was outside his house in the wet grass with flip flops on, and slipped. Today is the first day I can drive. So I picked him up, got him in my car using my rollator, and here we sit at the ER. 

Sending good wishes for your BFF.

• Like 17

5 minutes ago, Niagarawine said:

Good morning to everyone on this list. Hope you are feeling good and have a spring in your step.my lilacs are blooming nicely and the pink tulips are lovely. 
in two days we will be in Vancouver ready to sail on Koningsdam

Best wishes for a fantastic cruise on Koningsdam.

Graham.

1200px-Koningsdam_(ship,_2016)_004.jpg

• Like 14

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Just a brief check in. BFF called this morning saying he thought he’d broken his ankle. He was outside his house in the wet grass with flip flops on, and slipped. Today is the first day I can drive. So I picked him up, got him in my car using my rollator, and here we sit at the ER. 

Oh no! I am sorry to hear this.

My mom always said “when it rains it pours” in these situations. Please let us know how things are later.

• Like 16

Posted (edited)

Good morning and thanks all!  Welcome back @kazu hope the dr gets to the bottom of things!  And you are soon on the road to complete recovery. 

Love the photos @Cruising-along and @Quartzsite Cruiser

@StLouisCruisers thanks for stepping up,  glad you had a good time at graduation other than the house guests. Rhymes with…

I’ve been awol, but with good reason.  

We’re actually in Vancouver as well, for DS Master’s convocation tomorrow.     But unfortunately WestJet had a lockout that started yesterday and cancelled, then delayed our replacement flight nearly four hours so I spent an inordinate amount of time zigging and zagging,  we may even drive home.  Sigh!  But the flowers are gorgeous and there are leaves on the trees.   Hopefully we’ll also make it to Seattle as my only remaining aunt will be 100 next month. 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Oh no!!!!

• Like 15

Good morning all.... from chilly and windy Durango. Nights are below freezing again. High today low 50's and that wind is sharp. Right now it is 41. Dogs are not pleased.

Doing a frantic cleaning today as my late neighbor's daughter is driving from California to pick up some things stored at my place and to evaluate the two condos in this area that her Mom owned. Her question is "sell or rent". I have told her that if she rents, I can no longer handle them for her....

I am getting too old for the frustration although right now she has good tenants...at least as far as I can see. Going to be a hectic week. Then next week it is our annual dog show in New Mexico. Wonder how my pups will like boarding for a few days.

So.... off to the races. Take care all. No more slips. @kazuHope your foot issues can be resolved.... when feet don't work, nothing works right.

Susan

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good Afternoon, thanks for the daily report.  It’s an unusually quiet morning with work.  Last week I was finally able to put some finishing touches on our Zuiderdam cruises, Boston round trip.  Saturday for fun I checked the November cruise and was able to book Tamarind for my birthday.  I also found a new excursion visiting a rum distillery with lunch.  I also noticed that in November our time in port changed to 7 am until 5, we like this change a lot.

The Zaandam from Cadillac Mountain.

20230728_120724.thumb.jpeg.a5d6f636a071a2eb39d530c1550095fa.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, puppycanducruise said:

@JazzyV Hope the ankle isn't broken.  So glad you are able to drive.

@kazu  I hope they can find the reason for your pain and alleviate it.

+me! 

Grahams sea fog reach us in New Jersey but we’ll make it to eye doctor. Helped DH with shampooing. Slow getting my act together. Had a long sleep, longer than in months! Still feel groggy.

Blessings sent to all the Dailyites, our country, your country and the saddest in tge world. 

Another alarm going off, almost hourly. But we’re hanging in and hoping for good observations from eye doc today!  m—

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.  It's windy and cloudy with no chance of rain until overnight.  I decided to take advantage of no rain and will be heading out to mow the yard.  Hopefully, I can get a couple of other things done too.

2 hours ago, 57redbird said:

Happy Nurses Day to those of you who are, or were, myself included.  Tried to post a Gif but it didn't work.

I will gladly celebrate nurses day.  We've met some wonderful nurses over the past two years.

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Nice collection of days.

Great quote from Pluto.

Pass on the meal (kale), yes to the drink and wine, L💜VE Bar Harbor (no pictures- they're on computer).

Big day in history  - job well done, Mr Minuit. 👏

@kazu sounds like the foot nurse is trying her best - hope you can get the testing to identify & treat the source of your pain.

YAY Stars 🌟 🏒 managed a Game 7 win so they'll be moving on to Round 2.

Tomorrow is the 2nd of 4 eye procedures and a follow-up w/neurologist. Today is nothing but relaxing; wanted to pull some pesky weeds, but yard is too wet & pollen too high.

Currently 73° headed to rainy 84°. You'd think with all this rain there'd be no "stuff" left in the air, but  pollen is off the charts and making me miserable. 

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

20240506_092723.thumb.jpg.adb47d7dac350d128a9674fd6ac52ff0.jpg

Congratulations to the Stars, even though I don't follow hockey.  My mother was the hockey fan in the family.

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Good afternoon from home.  Here is home's postion this morning as we docked.....(what am I talking about????🙄)

Screenshot2024-05-06161226.png.43aa85765ce5de4588881fc7ddafd56b.png

Also the 'Daily' has not been delivered yet and there are no menus available on any device or on the tv.  Never mind 'No Diet Day' it already feels like 'No Food Day'.   We  both have the shakes from C.W.S.  (Cruising Withdrawal Syndrome!)

DD left essentials for us, but we have to prepare and cook ourselves.

Let me see now,,,,,,www.hollandamerica dot com......click....that should help!

Have a great day everyone. 

P.S. we arrived home last night after a great cruise and it really is no diet day, but it will start tomorrow.

Welcome home, Colin and Ellen.

@Overhead Fred  Welcome home, Fred and Mitzi.

39 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

+me! 

Grahams sea fog reach us in New Jersey but we’ll make it to eye doctor. Helped DH with shampooing. Slow getting my act together. Had a long sleep, longer than in months! Still feel groggy.

Blessings sent to all the Dailyites, our country, your country and the saddest in tge world. 

Another alarm going off, almost hourly. But we’re hanging in and hoping for good observations from eye doc today!  m—

Maureen, I hope all goes well at Richard's appointment, and that the doctor is pleased with the recovery.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

Good sunny afternoon, the fog has finally lifted and it’s getting warmer. 
Houdini is about the same. The vat is off today and will see about the iron supplement tomorrow.

Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

It is a good day here in the Pacific NW and getting better each day this week.  I drove to the Navy base this morning and found that Catch 22 is still alive and well.  We checked out the base swimming pool on Saturday and were told that it costs $2.50 to swim there, but if you are a 100% disabled veteran, the charge is waived.  The DoD has a special ID card that I would need to show.  Went to the ID card office this morning to obtain one.  Was told that even though I can be a retired Navy person and a 100% disabled Navy person, I cannot have both ID cards at the same time.  I asked the clerk to show me that in writing.  He spent 45 minutes going through a bunch of instructions and couldn't find it.  Made a phone call and was told that one would cancel the other one.  Went back to the pool and the desk person said I would have to pay without the ID card.  That is how the Government works.

I have a question about the acronyms we use here on CC.  Is there a listing of them somewhere and are they specific to CC or are they in general use?  For example, what exactly is BFF?  Is DS Dear Sister or Dear Son or do you have to guess?

Ray

• Like 18

5 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

I have a question about the acronyms we use here on CC.  Is there a listing of them somewhere and are they specific to CC or are they in general use?  For example, what exactly is BFF?  Is DS Dear Sister or Dear Son or do you have to guess?

Ray

Most of the acronyms used here are in general use, frequently when texting.  BFF is best friend forever.  I usually think of DS as dear son but you may have to guess from context clues.  YMMV (your mileage may vary)😊

• Like 13
  • Haha 7

Time to make the afternoon coffee, slice the steak for steak salad (leftovers from yesterday) that I will crunch and munch on sometime later this evening between making phone calls.  I've had 3 days off from the opera, and now I have to rethink and relearn.  OMG!  Time off is wonderful.

I have been hearing thunder all afternoon, on and off, but no rain here. It's all happening south of me-again @StLouisCruisers be safe!  At least you dont have to drive in to Atlanta. 

Just got an email that all events at Emory have been cancelled during this commencement weekend.  Didnt have anything planned over there for once, and got another email from the Atlanta Master Chorale that it will be time to renew at the end of May.  We sit in a row with 4 seats, and we are a group of 3.  This next season we will buy the 4th seat, so we can take Dan, the BFF in October before our vacation, take the neighbor for the Christmas concert, and Deb can bring a friend to the last two concerts. Well, off to send my report, send a text to my boss to move me to the other campaign and get the coffee going!  Hugs, to all of you!

• Like 20

We have a few unique acronyms here on the Daily.

I use MSH (My sweet husband)

@kazu uses DD DH I think it is "Dearly departed dear husband"

DS and DS can be both sister and son. Look for additional information if they use he or she.

DGD: dear granddaughter 

DGS: dear grandson 

IMHO: in my humble opinion

Others will chime in, I have to finish my M&C (macaroni and cheese) lol

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 13

We reached home today by 12:20 because we left Clearwater before 5 am today.  We were going to leave later to avoid rush hour traffic but when Jacqui told me she was ready to take over again this morning we decided why not leave before the worst of rush hour.  Worked fine.  I am doing laundry right now.  Time to bring the cruise luggage out today and get going on packing tomorrow.  We depart again on Friday morning for Ft. Lauderdale.

9 hours ago, seagarsmoker said:

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers for taking over the Daily Report while Jacqui was on her cruise! 🙂

A nice day here with a high of only 83 degrees. 🙂  

I hope everyone has a wonderful day! 

IMG_1033.JPG

You are welcome!!

8 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui! Welcome back. I really enjoyed your “live from” - thank you for taking the time to do it.

Thank you for making sure we didn’t skip a beat, Sandi!

Roy, thank you for our maps. 

Vanessa, hope your discomfort disappears and you sleep better in your bed. Thank you for keeping up with us. 

Gym, Bindi walks, some early morning gardening, chores and a dip in the pool are on the agenda for today. 

IMG_2838.jpeg.b745dc5462fd51d78a353a10b27f27a6.jpeg

IMG_2798.jpeg.553de534ae99d151463caf239d0d6791.jpeg

IMG_2839.jpeg.115a26da6f7843232eec3d31389626e9.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, the loss of a loved one, trauma. The caregivers. 

Terry, Tana, Amber, Annie & Chuck, Richard, Maurice, Melissa keeping you all at the top of my prayer list.

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

2020 Spätburgunder, [02 22], Shelter Winery, Baden

A grape by any other name… I learned that Germany calls Pinot Noir grapes Spätburgunder at one of my local wine bar’s wine tastings. So I did not need to use my decoder ring to figure out today’s wine’s name. Though I find it highly suspicious that @kazu’s first day back I am tested. 🤔 This PN doesn’t tempt me. It is light, and I prefer my PN to have more body. A bit elusive. Online prices start at $28.99.

Distributor notes

Husband and wife team Hans-Bert Espe and Silke Wolf make inspired, delicate and polished Pinot Noirs from their few hectares of Pinot Noir just north of the famous Kaiserstuhl in Baden, Germany. The vineyard is cooled by the Black Forest to the north and the soils are a mix of limestone and loess that result in wines with moderate alcohol and high acidity. No herbicides or pesticides are used in the vineyards; harvest is done completely by hand. In the cellar, a short cold soak is followed by a delicate press (normally the stems are removed, though this can differ from vintage to vintage) and fermentation in open-top vessels. Shelter's Spätburgunder is aged in used oak barrels, producing a delicate Pinot with high-toned red fruit aromas and flavors, light body and thrilling finish. 

It was my pleasure to fill in for Jacqui.  We can trust you to decipher the craziest of wine names, Ann!  And DH and I both loved the pepper meme!  So funny!

8 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Good Monday Morning Dailyites!.  We got the house clean before our guest arrived-and yes, she is adopting the white and black kittner, who she named Jersey (as in cow).Now to get the washing machine to drain, so I can do loads of laundry.

It rained a lot yesterday afternoon and night, but now it's cloudy and 67 degrees. I actually dont know what it is supposed to do today, but Sandi-be safe on the way home. Which brings me to the question, Now that Morgan has graduated, where is she headed?  Or will she be staying on with the Aquarium?  

The weatherman just came on with the local weather-um.....unsettled weather for the week, with temps going down at the end of it.

Well this is new, getting up to go to a job that starts at 9:30.  I still have to walk the dog before work, and get breakfast.  Then off for 3.5 hours then back on for 5.  Then off at 9 at night.

0bf86af7ca0c42f437cdf96f630c23bf.jpg

Thank you for the safe travel wishes, Annie.  Morgan will complete some training this month for dive instructor, that she is taking compliments of the Florida Aquarium.  After that she will consider her options and make a decision if Tampa is the location for her or not.  There are lots of opportunities in Florida for someone with her degree and training.  Thanks for asking!  Hope you and Chuck are doing okay.  Any news on his condition?

7 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

According to the forecast, we have another beautiful day in store for us.  Mostly sunny skies with a high around 70F.  But, the pollen count is high, so I'll be carrying the tissue box around with me.  

Welcome back to heading the Daily to @kazu Jacqui.  Safe travels home for @StLouisCruisers Sandi and Dennis.  Thanks for the great job while Jacqui was cruising.  Also, welcome home to @Overhead Fred Fred and Mitzi.  

Today after the gym I will be sewing the borders on my quilt to take it in for quilting.  It is too big to fit through my machine.  

Today's meal sounds good for a summer day.  I like the toasted seeds on top of this one.  There is good protein in the salad and carbs are at a reasonable level.  https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/277838/feta-kale-pear-salad/

kaleandpearsalad1.jpeg.9b89e7580e895e27ff2112662178e54d.jpeg

Kale has so many health benefits it is worth a try.  It can benefit the digestive system, help regulate blood pressure and contains tons of vitamins and minerals.   https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/270435

kale.thumb.jpg.8378c9233c23c09b2334053d695007b6.jpg

I like the lemon dressing in this one, but then, I like anything lemony.   https://detoxinista.com/kale-pear-feta-salad/

kaleandpearsalad2.jpg.299f20516ecde4ad49d38279cce99c92.jpg

This one sounds really good, but it is an example of taking something healthy and making it not so healthy.  The calories are way up in this one as is the carb count, but if you can handle it, I bet it would be delicious.  https://www.blueapron.com/recipes/fried-feta-kale-salad-with-pear-roasted-sweet-potato

kaleandpearsalad3.thumb.jpg.67e21279102f9170e7a3a5244e16788f.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Thanks to you Debbie for your safe travel wishes.  Somehow you can make kale sound delicious.😉

7 hours ago, kazu said:

good morning all.  Thanks to Rich, Roy, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie & Ann.

Just a quick post as I need to hobble out to the garage and attempt to get the car out and prep stuff.  The foot nurse contacted me yesterday to see how my foot was after the trip and when I told her it had improved somewhat but then started to hurt at night and was difficult to walk on.  I did wheel chair assistance disembarking and at the airport.  Anyone who knows me, knows I wouldn’t do that unless it was unbearable.  When she heard that, she asked to come right over to examine it.

After her examination she agreed the outside was healed but the pain (she tested me - ouch)indicated either an infection inside or something very wrong and told me to not wait for my appointment on Wednesday but try to get in today to get antibiotics NOW along with all the referrals she wants (X-ray, vascular surgeon, orthotics - it’s a long list - not sure if the doctor will attend to it all in one appointment.

her name is magic - they know how good she is and I have an appointment later this morning.  Not only did she make the house call at her request - she also is making herself available if the doctor wants to talk to her about her observations.  she’s a gem and I am so glad I found her.  She is knowledgeable, dedicated and caring - reminds me very much of my own DD Jose.

Prayers for those on the care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain health issues, worries and those that need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

Good luck Jacqui.  I'm so glad the foot nurse is so good at her job.  Having infection under the skin on your foot would be very painful.  Anytime we have something wrong with a foot it makes walking so difficult, even a blister!  We want you back to 100% good health.

6 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Daily-ites from a cloudy morning, high 84, rain in the afternoon day.

Jacqui, welcome home. Thank you for your cruise thread. Merry widow indeed. Let us know about your foot!

Safe travels Sandi. Loved the McCafe picture!

It sounds like everyone returning from their cruises had a great time. Looking forward to hearing more.

Prayers to all on our lists. I had an add on for my book. Our friends dad moved to aggressive rehab after a stroke.

Today will be a gas and market run, and my wine request is due in today.

Wishing everyone a blessed day!

Thanks Joy!  Of course that was for photography purposes only - the cup would sit in the cup holder for safety's sake any other time!

5 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@StLouisCruisers  I hope Sandi has a safe trip home, and does not encounter heavy traffic around Atlanta.

@ger_77  Gerry, sorry about the damage the voles did to your yard.  I hope your DH's plan works next winter.

@kazu  Jacqui, I'm glad the nurse wanted to make a house call, and you could get an appointment today.  I hope the doctor finds the problem and your foot is better soon.

440317023_818923193618821_2619496543428026482_n.jpg.e00a319a868a251cdfcc2c7a97a9e44c.jpg

440403553_860956072743305_1150326650627780524_n.jpg.b3d3c42cb288e151b77867a78e3a8e24.jpg

440567584_412558948408599_1301307880746721139_n.jpg.84c04af0c5e9951f260572fcee8d24aa.jpg

440778451_829290925886728_3752506999605686923_n.jpg.83df3a049973090d60b6555ff46721fd.jpg

440960772_291955503957781_1132528187585137418_n.jpg.96dbda2471efa74db4dd2e815d8dd3a8.jpg

Lenda

Thanks for the safe travel wishes, Lenda.  Lucky for us there's no Atlanta traffic when we drive home from Florida since we live south of there.  From our area north is where the traffic begins piling up. 🙄 I knew my photos had disappeared from Bar Harbor so planned on reposting them today.  I may just have enough time as I run in and out of the laundry room!

5 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

SLC,  Very nice but the view is not quite the same as Graham!

Also I knew there was a reason I like y’all. Your listening to Country music!

(way too much info on your displays) 😀

Sorry, no seaside for a background...just north Florida interstate 75 scenery!  The driver picks what they want to listen to and it's a good thing I like country music, too.

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I hope you have a nice safe journey home Sandi.

Thanks Graham!  It was uneventful, thankfully.

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Oh no Vanessa!  He just left your place yesterday didn't he, after helping you out for two weeks?  I'm so glad you're able to drive now, and I hope the doctors find it isn't broken.  Life sure isn't fair!  Let us know.

2 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

+me! 

I hope the doctor visit goes well today.  You are a blessing to Richard, and taking such wonderful care of him.  You both deserve some good news.

29 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Time to make the afternoon coffee, slice the steak for steak salad (leftovers from yesterday) that I will crunch and munch on sometime later this evening between making phone calls.  I've had 3 days off from the opera, and now I have to rethink and relearn.  OMG!  Time off is wonderful.

I have been hearing thunder all afternoon, on and off, but no rain here. It's all happening south of me-again @StLouisCruisers be safe!  At least you dont have to drive in to Atlanta. 

Just got an email that all events at Emory have been cancelled during this commencement weekend.  Didnt have anything planned over there for once, and got another email from the Atlanta Master Chorale that it will be time to renew at the end of May.  We sit in a row with 4 seats, and we are a group of 3.  This next season we will buy the 4th seat, so we can take Dan, the BFF in October before our vacation, take the neighbor for the Christmas concert, and Deb can bring a friend to the last two concerts. Well, off to send my report, send a text to my boss to move me to the other campaign and get the coffee going!  Hugs, to all of you!

No rain down this way Annie. (but who knows later).  My radar app on my phone shows a few pop ups north and west of you.  And yes, no driving in the dreaded Atlanta traffic!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6

Sandi @StLouisCruisers.

I'm pleased you both got home safely.

I usually put the food and drink on my car dashboard for photo purposes only.

I worked as a sales representative for EMI records in the 1980s on their easy listening label and we had several country artists which I enjoyed listening to.

Kenny Rogers, Loretta Lynn, Conway Twitty,Billie Jo Spears,Glen Campbell to name a few I enjoyed listening to.

• Like 15

5 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Oh no!!  I hope his ankle isn't broken. 😞  

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

Most of the acronyms used here are in general use, frequently when texting.  BFF is best friend forever.  I usually think of DS as dear son but you may have to guess from context clues.  YMMV (your mileage may vary)😊

I think DS is the only confusing one, so I always try to use "he" when talking about my son, and "she" when talking about my sister.

I just did something I rarely do, took a short afternoon nap (!)  It's a dark, rainy day and I got up way too early.  Fell asleep immediately on the couch.  

• Like 20

We went to Bar Harbor on the Rotterdam in Oct. 2018.

From a T-shirt seen at a store there.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Now that we know how to pronounce the name of the town properly, let us continue.

This is the exterior of a restaurant.  Good thing they hung that sign at the doorway or you'd never find your way inside.

Some of the interesting rock formations.

Lot of variations in the color in this rock.

Here we are at the Village Burying Ground.

This plaque tells you more.

St. Saviour’s Church circa 1877

Low tide

It was quite a pretty little spot to visit.

I wouldn't mind seeing this sight this every day, as long as it was on a BHB!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Just one photo from my 2015 cruise visiting Bar Harbor.  This is my ship, Blount Small Ship Adventures' Grande Caribe:

dockedbarhbr.jpg

The strange looking bridge is so that it can be lowered to the deck below to pass under some very low bridges on New York's Erie Canal.

Roy

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4