ICON of the poop

1 minute ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

As a former lifeguard I am often appalled at the number of parents who stick a life jacket, or worse, arm floaties on a child and figure they are safe and can be ignored watched casually. This is especially true for any child under 5 and/or Non swimmers.  

Even approved life jackets cannot prevent some awful accidents.  Parents should always be right with their children within an arm's reach with eyes on the child. Children can drown with almost no noise--often just slip beneath the surface.

Also, swim diapers don't keep everything out of the water!

Well stated.

Floaties and Class Three life jackets are not "self righting". This means the person will float on top of the water but their face will not be self righting and they will drown floating on the water face-down.

You are very experienced and I appreciate your comments on this matter.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

Also, swim diapers don't keep everything out of the water

I know, I know.... LOL. I've lived it all week long. ICON one and done for me.

• Like 3

Terrible behaviour- I mean of the parents - NOT the children- it´s the parents who are to blame for the behaviour of the offspring. Throwing fits on the floor- uh we should have done that.

Besides- I don´t think I would blame the Icon- lol- even though RCCI´s ships look stunning- thanks but to much children and these days with such parents...! Well not all thank god, but it´s heard more often nowadays.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Well stated.

Floaties and Class Three life jackets are not "self righting". This means the person will float on top of the water but their face will not be self righting and they will drown floating on the water face-down.

You are very experienced and I appreciate your comments on this matter.

As a former lifeguard I am often appalled at the number of parents who stick a life jacket, or worse, arm floaties on a child and figure they are safe and can be ignored watched casually. This is especially true for any child under 5 and/or Non swimmers.  

Even approved life jackets cannot prevent some awful accidents.  Parents should always be right with their children within an arm's reach with eyes on the child. Children can drown with almost no noise--often just slip beneath the surface.

Also, swim diapers don't keep everything out of the water!

I want to add that pool noodles, life rings and various inflatable 'toys' are not enough to keep kids safe either.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Sometimes it is a passenger who is smelly.  Brought only a carry on and thinks he/she can use clothes over and over again without laundering them.  Please pay for baggage with airline and send your clothes out to laundry and dry clean often.  People sweat and stink.

And some try to cover It up with loads of perfume/cologne.

• Like 1

I honestly thought it was maritime law that states "children who are not potty trained are not allowed in the pool" i havent double checked. 

Therefor the cruise lines, lifeguards or the white shirts walking around the decks should enforce it.

Every cruise i have been on this has been done to a good standard, not 100% but most of the time i have seen wuestions asked.. And plenty of signs around and information on the planners. 

As for sweaty people it happens. And buffet hand washing has gone down hill since covid. 

11 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I honestly thought it was maritime law that states "children who are not potty trained are not allowed in the pool" i havent double checked. 

Therefor the cruise lines, lifeguards or the white shirts walking around the decks should enforce it.

Every cruise i have been on this has been done to a good standard, not 100% but most of the time i have seen wuestions asked.. And plenty of signs around and information on the planners. 

As for sweaty people it happens. And buffet hand washing has gone down hill since covid. 

It's right on Royals own website:

Due to public health regulations, children that are in diapers or not 100% toilet trained may only use Baby Splash facilities on board. These are only available on the following ships: Adventure, Allure, Anthem, Freedom, Harmony, Independence, Liberty, Oasis, Ovation, Odyssey, Quantum, Spectrum, Symphony and Wonder.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/are-children-in-diapers-allowed-in-the-onboard-pools

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Not a law, but a requirement to meet the US USPH/CDC Vessel Sanitation Program.  Interestingly enough, the EU's ShipSan program, while similar, allows swim diapers in pools.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ChutChut said:

I've been on two Disney cruises (Fantasy & Magic) and, trust me, there are insufferable people (both kid and adults who act like kids) on that cruise line, too. Kids running up and down the halls, slamming doors, hogging the pools, etc. Just because people pay, on average, much more for their Disney cruise fare doesn't mean they possess more class. 

Am not disagreeing with you...so no trusting required. 😉 I would never consider cruising with theme park Disney cruise line...for the reasons you mentioned, as I totally agree.  

I also am not a fan of RCI's new theme park mega ships.....for the same reason.  

Viking is now getting most of our bookings, and most of our cruising dollars. 

• Like 5

As a mom of a 5 and 7 year old who waited until my youngest was fully potty trained and then some before considering a cruise, it infuriates me how so many fellow parents act these days.  It is certainly not limited to cruise ships or vacations.  There is a serious lack of parental responsibility these days in all areas of society.  Parents just don't want to parent because they are afraid to upset their kids or disrupt their enjoyment and party.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 5/9/2024 at 7:02 AM, Cruise a holic said:

Best to stay in the Adult only area- However with Senior Citizens, who knows what is in the water!

ACC.jpg

• Haha 2

I eat every thing with utensils in the buffet . I dont touch any of the food with my hands. 

I select food that is eatable with a knife and fork . 

We never eat the bread in the dining room , we just ask to take it away .

If you see someone eating a muffin with a knife and fork , thats me .

If i eat a slice of pizza i throw away the crust if im manhandling it .

And never touch your face .

• Haha 2

On 5/9/2024 at 10:44 AM, rolloman said:

It is quite baffling to me the amount of people who desire to go on a cruise ship and physically get in a pool or hot tub. After taking well over 100 voyages to date, I actually don't think I have ever jumped into a pool or hot tub. Clearly, it is disgusting on land and sea to get in these community cesspools. 

I agree with you 100 percent. I cannot remember the last time I got into a pool or hot tub on an RCI ship. I am sure all pools/hot tubs aren’t bad, but they never look appealing to me 

• Like 2

On 5/12/2024 at 8:39 PM, LuvtheWater117 said:

As a mom of a 5 and 7 year old who waited until my youngest was fully potty trained and then some before considering a cruise, it infuriates me how so many fellow parents act these days.  It is certainly not limited to cruise ships or vacations.  There is a serious lack of parental responsibility these days in all areas of society.  Parents just don't want to parent because they are afraid to upset their kids or disrupt their enjoyment and party.

Agree...and thanks for being a real parent.  Wish they were all like you!

Alas...the ones you are referring to are not actual "parents"....they are simply "breeders".  🫤

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I am sure all pools/hot tubs aren’t bad, but they never look appealing to me 

A lot of folks call them petri dishes LOL.  But I know the water is recirculated many times during the day and cleaned and replaced at night, this is better than most backyard pools.  That is why the nets are on the pools in the early morning, they have been busy cleaning.  AND, its highly chlorinated.  I don't mind getting in any of them but I always take a deck shower and shower fully back at the cabin.  If you wanna get serious about germs, know that there are more on your toothbrush which is not chlorinated or sterilized and that the dirtiest place in any home is the kitchen sink. Think about that for a sec.  Any doorknob has more! That's what your epidermis if for! 🤗

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 6

50 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

A lot of folks call them petri dishes LOL.  But I know the water is recirculated many times during the day and cleaned and replaced at night, this is better than most backyard pools.  That is why the nets are on the pools in the early morning, they have been busy cleaning.  AND, its highly chlorinated.  I don't mind getting in any of them but I always take a deck shower and shower fully back at the cabin.  If you wanna get serious about germs, know that there are more on your toothbrush which is not chlorinated or sterilized and that the dirtiest place in any home is the kitchen sink. Think about that for a sec.  Any doorknob has more! That's what your epidermis if for! 🤗

You make a lot of good points. I look at ship pool/hot tub maintenance a little differently…there is a reason why they replace the water every night. For what it’s worth, I have never had an issue swimming in the Oasis pool at Coco Cay and more recently I spent a lot of time in the pool at Hideaway Beach the three times I have been there. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2024 at 11:36 AM, loman said:

I eat every thing with utensils in the buffet . I dont touch any of the food with my hands. 

I select food that is eatable with a knife and fork . 

We never eat the bread in the dining room , we just ask to take it away .

If you see someone eating a muffin with a knife and fork , thats me .

If i eat a slice of pizza i throw away the crust if im manhandling it .

And never touch your face .

And we bring hand sanitizer into the buffet with us and apply it after sitting down and unwrapping (but before touching) our silverware. 

The washy washy helps some, but doesn't do a single thing for those that cough, rub their nose or mouth, etc after they have entered and then proceed to touch serving utensils, surfaces, etc...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

I am a bit squeamish if I have a scab, scratch or wound, cut my finger etc.  I wouldn't get in with those.

Yeah, I understand how hot tubs and pools can make some folks do mental gymnastics about the possible yuck factor.  However, I look at it like this...  Of all the things that could cause me harm, a public pool or hot tub is veeeeeeeery low on that list.   When I'm on a cruise I take precautions where I can but I want to enjoy myself.  I've never been sick from a pool or hottub in my 50 years, as far as I know...

• Like 4

1 minute ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Yeah, I understand how hot tubs and pools can make some folks do mental gymnastics about the possible yuck factor.  However, I look at it like this...  Of all the things that could cause me harm, a public pool or hot tub is veeeeeeeery low on that list.   When I'm on a cruise I take precautions where I can but I want to enjoy myself.  I've never been sick from a pool or hottub in my 50 years, as far as I know...

Same here.  I use the pools and hot tubs all the time, and they have never made me sick.  My immune system works just fine!

• Like 4

On 5/10/2024 at 2:34 PM, BND said:

Yes, if you pay attention you will see what they do with uneaten bread.  It is thrown out when they clear tables.  Tearing each piece is a weird thing to do.

Just think of the % that must get wasted !

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

Just think of the % that must get wasted !

It gets ground up with other food and becomes fish food.  At a certain distance off land they can eject organic matter. Would you rather eat bread that has been on a couple of other tables?

Edited by BND