Policy change gratuities

On the Beyond now. Asked for the form to give extra tips to select staff and was told that these tips are now also pooled. They can no longer be provided to individuals. We were told this policy change happened several weeks ago. 

Posted (edited)

I would think you could still hand additional gratuities in person to those for whom you wish to provide extra.  They may be required to pool them as well, but at least they will know you thought extra of them to give it and will receive something from it.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I would think you could still hand additional gratuities in person to those for whom you wish to provide extra.  They may be required to pool them as well, but at least they will know you thought extra of them to give it and will receive something from it.

I agree. 👍

• Like 1

JMHO. If a guest separately tips an individual, the Cruise line SHOULD NOT have that pooled to be shared with others. We see some crew members do what is required of them, while others go above and beyond! 

Does upper management share their salary with workers? 

Tipping is now totally out of control.

• Like 17

12 minutes ago, OceanCruise said:

On the Beyond now. Asked for the form to give extra tips to select staff and was told that these tips are now also pooled. They can no longer be provided to individuals. We were told this policy change happened several weeks ago. 

Last time we did this, over a year ago, we were told tips are still pooled the same way they are for automatic tips. So not sure this is new.

• Like 1

OTOH, I understand pooling of mandatory gratuities.  There are lots of folks behind the scenes who help the passenger-facing crew look good.  That said, if I want to reward someone for going the extra mile, I should be able to do so.  The current practice of pooling everything has a name.  It's called communism.  Doesn't work.

The better solution would be for the cruise lines to pay crew a living wage and simply include that in the cost of the cruise.  It's what's happening now with "mandatory gratuities" but charging once you get on board makes you think your cruise is cheaper than it is.

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

Every day I say to myself I’m done reading tipping threads yet here I am.  It’s more effective than my morning pre workout coffee. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

if these is true. then we wont give extra tips in cash. ither than BLU team...maybe use a generic gift card for Cabin Attendant..can't pool or confiscate that..hopefully

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

That is how I do it..cash right into their hand..

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

That is how I do it..cash right into their hand..

We were told by one or more crew members. 'If I don't turn in this money that you gave to me and I get caught, they will fire me on the spot.' 

So, even if you give them money, they must declair it.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Oxo said:

We were told by one or more crew members. 'If I don't turn in this money that you gave to me and I get caught, they will fire me on the spot.' 

So, even if you give them money, they must declair it.

Fine by me..

Less than 2 weeks ago, I gave envelopes to our waiter & assistant waiter and to our stateroom attendant with their names handwritten.  I asked them if they were allowed to keep them or if they had to turn them in.  They all said they got to keep them.  The assistant waiter said he and the waiter pool the envelopes they get and share them equally (which is fine, because I gave them both the same).  On the previous week, I did the same with our previous waiter and stateroom attendant and was told the same.

I noticed when I gave cash tips at the bars that the bartenders put all of the money into a single jug and did not keep the money individually.

I am not saying the OP is incorrect.  I am just saying I was told differently just 10 days ago on the Eclipse.

• Like 4

It was my understanding that they do need to turn the cash in, but it's noted with your name/cabin number. Once the accounting is complete, and it is confirmed that your auto grats were still in place, that the envelopes were returned to the giver, otherwise they were added to the pool. But I could be wrong. But this is why I never cancel the auto grats.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

It was my understanding that they do need to turn the cash in, but it's noted with your name/cabin number. Once the accounting is complete, and it is confirmed that your auto grats were still in place, that the envelopes were returned to the giver, otherwise they were added to the pool. But I could be wrong. But this is why I never cancel the auto grats.

That’s interesting.

I’ve always felt that, if what post #10 says is true, I still definitely think their supervisor keeps track of which crew got how much. Then I absolutely think it counts towards their evaluations and promotions.

On the Ascent TA recently, I designated OBC as an additional tip for our stateroom attendant with a form I was given at Guest Services.  He told me he was notified of the tip and amount, and GS said it was included in any monies due him when he left (was going home for break shortly at end of contract).

Curious who you were trying to tip individually? Dining room, housekeeping, bartender?

That kind of matches what we were told on our last cruise. An additional gratuity to our stateroom attendant supposedly went to him (no one else in the pool). Same for the butler. We couldn't tip to the individual in Luminae; they split all the tips (which makes sense). The breakdown that gets posted periodically includes a $2 "other hotel services" that I assume goes to some of the back of the house people (they may get something from housekeeping?). We were able to designate the Retreat bartender; there are almost no transactions in the lounge to tip on, and I just don't carry cash on the ship.

And, yes, I'd assume they're required to turn in cash tips. That's the only way to make the accounting work for the auto gratuities if some people pay cash. Pooling the tip jar is pretty standard at most bars so that's not unusual. 

To end all of this 

why not just include the tips in the cruise price to ensure everyone pays for the services?

Then the cruise line will continue to do what they want.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, asctony said:

To end all of this 

why not just include the tips in the cruise price to ensure everyone pays for the services?

This thread is about tipping above and beyond the standard gratuities.

11 minutes ago, asctony said:

Sooooooooo?

Soooooo... Your post began with "To end all of this..." Your suggestion would end none of "this" as "this" thread is about tipping extra.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, RichYak said:

This thread is about tipping above and beyond the standard gratuities.

42 minutes ago, asctony said:

To end all of this 

Sounds like an excellent idea. There are many countries that do not tip at all. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Soooooo... Your post began with "To end all of this..." Your suggestion would end none of "this" as "this" thread is about tipping extra.

The first posting was: Pocicy Change

'On the Beyond now. Asked for the form to give extra tips to select staff and was told that these tips are now also pooled. They can no longer be provided to individuals. We were told this policy change happened several weeks ago.' 

End the discussion was the suggestion in the OP posting. Nothing wrong with that.

• Thanks 1

Last week on Edge we filled in a form with crew names and position. When I turned it in to guest relations, the rep had me verify the picture of each person while she wrote down their ID number.

She said the amount would go on the salary card.

One of the individuals confirmed she will get the $ as long as the ID number is used.

• Like 2