The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday May 24th, 2024

Posted (edited)

Today is Brother's Day, International Tiara Day, and Morse Code Day

Creativity is knowing how to hide your sources--C.E.M. Joad

Meal Suggestion for today - German Chocolate Cake
Drink of the Day - Italian Margarita
Wine of the Day - Ratti 2019 Serradenari Nebbiolo (Barolo)
Destination of the Day - Kagoshima, Japan

Today in History:
1844 Samuel Morse taps out "What hath God wrought" in the world's first telegraph message

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island Canada 20:00 - 23:59

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 05-25

Nieuw Amsterdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Statendam

Harstad, Hinnoya Island Lofoten Norway 11:00 - 20:00

Noordam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Oosterdam

Dubrovnik, Croatia, Port Gruz 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Zeebrugge, Bruges, Belgium 08:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Bar Harbor, Maine 07:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 07:00 - 13:00

Zaandam

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska, Juneau, Alaska 09:00 - 09:30 ,13:00 - 22:00

Zuiderdam

Zeebrugge, Bruges, Belgium 10:00 - 18:00

0524Alaska.thumb.png.b4fa40b931d01a1c9c9223a5e6d441f4.png

0524Atlantic.thumb.png.791444d1695482e2b1d53cff14f1de89.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 28

Posted (edited)

Good morning.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

It is dry, partly sunny and 59°F here.

3 interesting days.

Cake sounds good.

Never been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone on the care list.

I hope everyone is safe and well and looking forward to a nice day.

Screenshot_20240524_100522.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 15

Today’s Care List:

Kazu with foot infection and having foot pain

Flooding and storms, especially Iowa & TX: Mexico stage collapse

AZ and Canada fires

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

Ger_77’s DH Maurice post TAVR (valve replacement), doing well

JazzyV’s BFF post surgery for a tib-fib fracture

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday Heartgrove (Jack)!

Cruising-along taking DGSs to a water park through Friday

Nickelpenny post back surgery, now home, doing well

RMLincoln’s DH with eye drainage incision still open on last evaluation

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for MrSnuggleupagus (Koningsdam May 25 to June 1) Alaska Inside Passage

Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage), and StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to June 8 ) 28d Passage to Normandy & Baltic Jewels + Zuiderdam (June 8 to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 18
  • Thanks 29

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

Another warm day here today. It's currently 73 degrees (humidity is 91) with a forecasted high of 91 degrees this afternoon.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! 

116808958_3276370925743014_565053947913920905_n.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 11

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

76 this AM with a high of 92 with sunny skies.

Good selection of days.

I think I get the quote.

I love German Chocolate Cake, yummy.

I wonder what Samuel Morse would say about the technology we have in this day and age.

As a military policeman with the Air Force for 4 years and very pro police I have to say that the Louisville Police Department is a joke in the handling of the Scottie Scheffler incident.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Italian Margarita:

Looking for a different twist on a classic margarita? This sweet Italian Margarita still tastes like a margarita, but calls for famous Italian almond-flavored liqueur for a unique taste.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 oz. silver
1 1/2 oz. freshly squeezed lime juice
1 oz. simple syrup
3/4 oz. amaretto liqueur
Lime wedges or twists for garnish

Directions:

Rim a margarita glass with granulated sugar. Fill with ice, and set aside.
Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
Measure the tequila, lime juice, simple syrup and amaretto in a cocktail shaker.
Shake until the ingredients are cold and combined.
Pour into the prepared margarita glass.
Garnish the margarita with a wedge of lime, and enjoy immediately.

Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 6.33.07 AM.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 25
  • Haha 1

Lots of HAL ships on the west coast, love the meal suggestion, have been to todays destination, is morse code still in use today?

• Like 31

Good morning, afternoon or evening...  for whenever you read this...

Thank you so much for today's FR&D!!!

I love it all!!  It's perfect!!!

HOWEVER, I'll wait until I return from my outing to don my tiara!!!  I'm just not sure what others would think...

• Like 24
  • Haha 9

Good morning.  Happy Friday.  Thanks for the Report.

Cool and clear this morning, only 9°C (48°F) but it should warm up to a lovely 19°C (66°F) this afternoon.

I have 2 terrific brothers, I don't wear a tiara and I tried to learn Morse Code many years ago when I got my Amateur Radio License, but I was unsuccessful.  Some ham radio operators still use it.

Interesting quote.

I like chocolate cake, but I don't think it's a meal.  The drink sounds delicious.  I'm sure the wine is tasty too.

Prayers for so many.  I hope there are lots of reasons to celebrate.

Have a great day.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Good morning friends!  Today the Zuiderdam is in Zeebrugge where it is 61F with partly cloudy skies.  We may take the shuttle bus to Blankenberge or we may not.  We did that once but got on a train to Bruge so didn’t see the town.  Or we may not do anything.  Our first time here we took a tour to Brugge and the second time the train there.  Yesterday was a long day in Cherbourg and I was wiped out last night.  Sorry I didn’t post at all yesterday!  We had a nice visit to Normandy, saw Omaha Beach, the Overlord Museum, the American Cemetery and Arromanches for lunch.  It began to rain some at Arromanches but was hit and miss.  I’m so glad we got to go!  I didn’t sleep well the night before, maybe due to those cold meds I took, and went straight to bed after a brief dinner.  I couldn’t even finish my Sauvignon Blanc!  Whoa!

Thanks Rich @richwmn for posting the Fleet Report and Daily today.  Cheers to brothers everywhere, tiaras and Morse code!  That’s an interesting quote, LOVE German Chocolate cake, hope the Italian Margarita is good, and pass on red wines.  Congrats to Samuel Morse on his achievement.  Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your daily reports!

Prayers for all on our Care list especially Tana, Maurice Gerry's @ger_77 DH, and Jacqui @kazu.  Late happy birthday wishes to dear Tana!  Just keep on celebrating today.  Glad to hear all went well with Maurice’s surgery and hope his recovery is swift and without problems.  Jacqui, sorry to hear there is so much going on with your foot diagnosis and hope they come to some consensus on what to do to help.  Prayers also for DB (on Brother’s Day), Alex’s little ones, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages and our military members in harm’s way. 

Cheers for the Celebration list folks celebrating anniversaries, birthdays, graduations, wedding, all the good times.  Happy Birthday wishes to Jack @Heartgrove.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your work on the lists each day.  Hope to hear more good news about BFF!

We heard a call for medical this morning while in our cabin.  About 8 or 9 cabins down the hall.  Three women medical team members came running past our room within 30 seconds.  There was a walker outside the door down there so I hope it wasn’t a serious fall getting into their room.  Prayers they are fine and will be back on their feet today.

I forgot to mention we heard about last weekend’s game between KC and FC Dallas which Dallas won 2-0.  Ren scored the second goal and the first goal was by a penalty kick teammate after Ren was fouled.  Apparently the person fouled doesn’t get to take the penalty kick, a different player does that.  So he helped get the first goal by an infraction against him by a KC player.  Hopefully nothing too egregious! 

Carolyn @Cruising-along, I hope you continue to enjoy the visit with the DGS’s to Great Wolf Lodge!  Looks like you’re all having a ball!

The port today is Kagoshima, Japan, the third time for it.  First was Oct. 5, 2021 and the second on June 24, 2023.  We have not been to Kagoshima before.  Here are the links for you.

Have a super Friday everyone!  Keep well and stay safe.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 12

I see on Rich's @richwmn list today that Rotterdam is in port with us today in Zeebrugge.  Turned on the aft camera on the TV and can't even make out the name due to a dirty, salty camera lens.  But it's back there! 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  Today the Zuiderdam is in Zeebrugge where it is 61F with partly cloudy skies.  We may take the shuttle bus to Blankenberge or we may not.  We did that once but got on a train to Bruge so didn’t see the town.  Or we may not do anything.  Our first time here we took a tour to Brugge and the second time the train there.  Yesterday was a long day in Cherbourg and I was wiped out last night.  Sorry I didn’t post at all yesterday!  We had a nice visit to Normandy, saw Omaha Beach, the Overlord Museum, the American Cemetery and Arromanches for lunch.  It began to rain some at Arromanches but was hit and miss.  I’m so glad we got to go!  I didn’t sleep well the night before, maybe due to those cold meds I took, and went straight to bed after a brief dinner.  I couldn’t even finish my Sauvignon Blanc!  Whoa!

Thanks Rich @richwmn for posting the Fleet Report and Daily today.  Cheers to brothers everywhere, tiaras and Morse code!  That’s an interesting quote, LOVE German Chocolate cake, hope the Italian Margarita is good, and pass on red wines.  Congrats to Samuel Morse on his achievement.  Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your daily reports!

Prayers for all on our Care list especially Tana, Maurice Gerry's @ger_77 DH, and Jacqui @kazu.  Late happy birthday wishes to dear Tana!  Just keep on celebrating today.  Glad to hear all went well with Maurice’s surgery and hope his recovery is swift and without problems.  Jacqui, sorry to hear there is so much going on with your foot diagnosis and hope they come to some consensus on what to do to help.  Prayers also for DB (on Brother’s Day), Alex’s little ones, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages and our military members in harm’s way. 

Cheers for the Celebration list folks celebrating anniversaries, birthdays, graduations, wedding, all the good times.  Happy Birthday wishes to Jack @Heartgrove.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your work on the lists each day.  Hope to hear more good news about BFF!

We heard a call for medical this morning while in our cabin.  About 8 or 9 cabins down the hall.  Three women medical team members came running past our room within 30 seconds.  There was a walker outside the door down there so I hope it wasn’t a serious fall getting into their room.  Prayers they are fine and will be back on their feet today.

I forgot to mention we heard about last weekend’s game between KC and FC Dallas which Dallas won 2-0.  Ren scored the second goal and the first goal was by a penalty kick teammate after Ren was fouled.  Apparently the person fouled doesn’t get to take the penalty kick, a different player does that.  So he helped get the first goal by an infraction against him by a KC player.  Hopefully nothing too egregious! 

Carolyn @Cruising-along, I hope you continue to enjoy the visit with the DGS’s to Great Wolf Lodge!  Looks like you’re all having a ball!

The port today is Kagoshima, Japan, the third time for it.  First was Oct. 5, 2021 and the second on June 24, 2023.  We have not been to Kagoshima before.  Here are the links for you.

Have a super Friday everyone!  Keep well and stay safe.

I'm sorry you were not to well Sandi.

If you get to Blankenburg cross the road from the drop off and walk along the main street and at the end walk up about 30 steps to the beach resort.

IMG_20240405_111829.jpg

IMG_20240405_111203.jpg

IMG_20240405_111513.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Happy Friday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Sunny and 85 today. Preparing for a nice long weekend. 

Taking Fancy to the vet tomorrow for her shots then off to the park. Spending the rest of the weekend chilling. 

Happy birthday to @Heartgrove.

🐱 31 Funniest Cat Birthday Meme | Happy birthday cat, Cute cat memes ...

Thinking of all on the care list.

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Happy Friday Cat Pictures, Photos, and Images for Facebook, Tumblr ...

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here! 

Thank you for the birthday wishes!

A little family history with the story that I was told about my name. My Irish grandmother lived with us as my brother, sisters, and I were growing up on the North Side of Chicago. Because I was born on Queen Victoria's birthday, my grandmother wanted me to be named "Victor." My older brother and sister said, when it was their turn to speak to my mother in the hospital, "How's Jack?" The name stuck but being a good Roman Catholic family it was changed to John for the Baptismal record. But Jack has been my nickname all my life. Besides Queen Victoria I share my date with the former Mayor of Chicago, Jane Byrne, and the English actor, Jim Broadbent, among others.

Sue is treating me to lunch today at a new Seafood Mexican restaurant. Love Margaritas!

I miss my brother who is gone almost two years now. 

Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone!   Thanks for the Daily and maps Rich.  I will celebrate my single DB and will call him today.    No Tiaras here.  I think the quote is funny.     I haven't been to today's port but look forward to the photos.   I will pass on the cake, the Margarita with Amaretto sounds like worth a try with a drink package and I always would like a Barolo.    Thanks for researching these for us each day @summer slope, @dfish and @cat shepard.   

Thanks for the Cares and Celebrations lists @JazzyV.  I hope your BFF continues to med after his surgery.  Prayers for Maurice, Tana, Jacqui and everyone else on our list who are ailing.  Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the hostages and the innocents in Gaza.

Road trip today.  We are heading to fill in the pantry for the summer and go for our first UP fish fry for the season.  I will also have the call with my broker that kept breaking up.  It seems I can make outgoing calls just fine with the Starlink but incoming calls break up.  It was raining that day so will do a test call again with clear weather. We mounted it up on to its' permanent mount for the summer rather than the stand on the ground. We got a lot accomplished outside and both fell asleep watching TV last night.  Have a lovely Friday!  Nancy 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! Another lovely day here. Yesterday was just perfect with the strong breezes. Hope today is just as lovely!

Vanessa, thank you for taking care of yourself and still finding a way to help BFF and keep our lists. An amazing role model!

Bind’s trip to the vet yesterday was a bit alarming. We have been monitoring her kidney function and she has been on a special food for a year. Yesterday’s blood work showed her kidney level as normal, but her white blood cell count so low it indicates either a severe infection or a tumor. They took another blood sample and sent it to an outside lab for confirmation. It could just mean their equipment has an issue, but I won’t know until they call. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores, Tiramisu making and pool time. And maybe a trip to the vet to pick up antibiotics. 

This one fits right in with all of us who appreciate HAL’s elevator mats!

IMG_2913.jpeg.45a0f4a8996d51503062253f9cf35c67.jpeg

IMG_2909.jpeg.0db39ec3a8b60030ef2251e3ace08166.jpeg

IMG_2911.jpeg.5a9b5c71cce02243002a5d4043bbd38f.jpeg

Prayers for all who need them. Roy, hoping that the tests your doctor wants to run show no major issue. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we all find a reason to smile today!

Ratti 2019 Serradenari Nebbiolo (Barolo)

Well we have broken the string of SB with a heck of a bang. Fairly easy to find but very pricey - for me anyway. Online prices start at $139.00.

Winemaker Notes

Garnet red color with aromas of plums, violet and tobacco. Full-flavored with good tannin levels and acidity. 

A great wine for important dishes, red meats roasted on a spit or grilled, game, and ripe cheeses.

• 97Wine Enthusiast
    This wine expresses itself with aromas of wild cherries, tart red plums, dried violets and oolong tea leaves. The palate is elegant and almost dances across the mouth, leading with ripe red fruits that give way to savory flavors of fresh bay leaf, clove and balsam. Drink 2025–2040. 
  • 95Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
    Here's an exciting new submission from the house of Ratti. Serradenari is a large MGA and one of only a few cru sites that exist on the western slope under the village of La Morra. The 2019 Barolo Serradenari has a more botanical-smelling bouquet, and by that I mean that it has lavender bud, thyme, aniseed and the kinds of flowers and herbs that you might find in a fragrant garden. It is nuanced and delicate and framed by a light note of ash or crushed limestone. It finishes quite firm or edgy. Only 6,000 bottles were made.
  • 94James Suckling

Very perfumed with orange peel, hibiscus, and sliced strawberry aromas that follow through to a full body with layers of tannins and a juicy and chewy finish. A little traditional but solid.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 16
  • Haha 2

Good morning. It is partly cloudy today and will be 85 later. I never wore a tiara  and did not learn Morse code but I will celebrate brother’s day. As the youngest in a family with two older brothers  I would not have survived a difficult upbringing without them. My oldest brother has been gone for almost 15 years and is still greatly missed. I am grateful that my remaining sibling moved back East after living in New Mexico. He is coming to stay for a few days to help out here with my DSIL. Once again, I will get a break from some things but mostly will enjoy the laughter he brings with him. We share very dark senses of humor. It is vital these days for our small group.

A very Happy Birthday to Jack @Heartgrove!

864.jpeg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1