The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday May 26th, 2024

Good morning all!

Rain, rain, rain.  This week looks very WET.  Monday and Friday may be the only days that it doesn't rain all day. A good day to get the laundry done. 😉  

I think DH and I have recuperated now from our 2 days at the waterpark -- we sure had a good time with the boys though.  Love that quality time!

I've never been good at making paper airplanes, the Lindy Hop was before my time, and I think I remember the old yellowed Cellophane tape but much prefer invisible Scotch tape.  Will pass on the drink, "maybe" on the meal but would substitute something for the Quinoa.  It seemed to be served much too often on the Grand Australia and it really isn't something I like very much.  The wine does sound good.  Have not been to the port, I miss Erma Bombeck.

@Cruzin Terri Happy Heavenly Birthday to your DM!

Vanessa @JazzyV I'm delighted to hear that you're finally getting enough sleep!!

@Haljo1935 I'm also in Zone 8.  Where I live it isn't too late to put out cherry tomatoes, but our "summer" hasn't started yet -- much cooler than where you are.  I still think it would be fine for you though, probably even better. And cherry tomatoes ripen faster than larger ones. I always put my tomatoes in pots (clay soil too, plus just not enough room).  If only one of you eats tomatoes and you don't plan on making sauce or something else with them, I think one plant would be enough.  I say go for it!  

Tonight we'll be having trout that the younger DGS caught on a Scout outing.  He always gives us some of his catch, he knows Nana loves trout!  So Trout Almondine tonight. 🙂  

The latest on Amber is that they're still trying to regulate her blood pressure.  Strangely, now it's running too low...and there's been talk among the doctors that she needs heart surgery because of damage to her heart, but apparently that hasn't been agreed upon by all her doctors.  I will try to find out more, and whether or not she has been able to go home yet.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 6

Good morning and Happy Sunday. It’s a nice sunny day. 

The MOD sounds good, I like quinoa.  I’ll soon be able to make my own pesto because my 2 basil plants are doing really good. I’m not a fan of pesto on pasta so am always looking for different ways to use it. 

Craig gets home today. I have really enjoyed my time alone but also miss him. Not sure what I’m making today. I have a recipe for mustard chicken that I’ve been wanting to make. One of the ladies made it when we were in Waco. 

Pennie @Nickelpenny, your cockroach and javelina stories are funny but true to Tucson. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

I'm in zone 8 - is it too late for me to grow cherry tomatoes? Could I stake them in containers or do they need to go in the ground (we have very hard, clay soil)?

Cherry tomatoes do well in containers. Many of them do better with caging than staking, because they tend to grow in all directions.

One limitation is that tomatoes won't set fruit in very hot weather. If you find that flowers develop but fruiting doesn't follow, cut the plants back to keep them growing so that the new growth can set fruit later on.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Cherry tomatoes do well in containers. Many of them do better with caging than staking, because they tend to grow in all directions.

One limitation is that tomatoes won't set fruit in very hot weather. If you find that flowers develop but fruiting doesn't follow, cut the plants back to keep them growing so that the new growth can set fruit later on.

Thank you and @Cruising-along - I will get the plants and cages; I appreciate the insight.

No plans for sauce making, just fresh salad tomatoes. 🤞

• Like 14

Thanks to all of you for the beautiful heavenly birthday wishes for my dear Mom.

I was going to try to mention all of you.  However, everytime I try to do that I forget someone.  Please know that I appreciate all the beautiful thoughts.

Terri

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, cunnorl said:

My sister takes care of my parents and brothers grave. She does a beautiful job. She placed the flowers and new military flags (Army for Dad, AF for my brother) on the grave yesterday morning and someone stole them! Cant believe it. How low can you go?

OMG that is absolutely disgusting that someone would steal from a grave 😡 I am so sorry 😔

4 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@kazu  Jacqui, I'm glad you found Jose's gadget.  

thanks.  I am too.  I laughed at him for years buying gadgets that we didn’t need and I thought were useless.  If he’s watching he gets the last laugh on this one.

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

@kazu I'm glad you're trying not to overdo. 

I am known for over doing usually but not this time.  I can only take so much as I am sure you understand.  I’m not making things worse if I can help it.

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Question for the Gardening Club (or anyone in the know): I'm in zone 8 - is it too late for me to grow cherry tomatoes? Could I stake them in containers or do they need to go in the ground (we have very hard, clay soil)? Local garden center has some small plants on clearance and I thought I'd check w/the pros here before buying them. And if only 1 of us eats them, would 1 plant be enough or should I get 2? TIA for your input.

not too late at all.  I’m just putting mine in this week.

my cherries go in planters that are not that big -they don’t need to be.  I don’t use cages.  Just little supporters that keep them upright when they get heavy with fruit.  Either the little wooden supporters for vines or something like these smaller ones.  Works well for me and lets me put several in my rectangular planters.

IMG_3024.thumb.jpeg.770af0c96c46a3f2fed378e6ca7549a9.jpeg

5 hours ago, aliaschief said:

That it is. Like Prisendam on steroids. We love the small ships.

you are on a Grand cruise - I’m wondering how much difference there is with a regular cruise ?  Sorry Bruce I can’t remember if you cruised the kind before or not.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Thanks to the Garden Club members for the suggestions.  She's going to try the peppercorns because we have some.  

We had a great visit to the Gardens today.  

IMG_3375.thumb.JPG.31413e39f1d9a3377a27f945e990ffd2.JPG

IMG_3376.thumb.JPG.669a057878d464f6d227d9237d1dd13a.JPG

IMG_3377.thumb.JPG.0e4920c28f1b8ba4b473e37238daf5ff.JPG

IMG_3378.thumb.JPG.e0e8986364d19b31d96ffba8cac7d819.JPG

IMG_3381.thumb.JPG.7fd1fd828394fb74d7fa327a0257edde.JPG

IMG_3383.thumb.JPG.f955b1eb217d69c24c14c3f0e461973f.JPG

IMG_3384.thumb.JPG.f48625dc2644e6dfc11f6c4b98831bdb.JPG

We're hoping we wore someone out besides ourselves.  There is a kids playground with a water feature so we brought home a water logged little girl.  I laughed when I heard parents telling the kids not to get wet.  Why bring them to a place with water to play in if they can't get wet?  Clothes dry out.  River's are on the line in the back yard.

Deddie

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, kazu said:

...not too late at all.  I’m just putting mine in this week.

my cherries go in planters that are not that big -they don’t need to be.  I don’t use cages.  Just little supporters that keep them upright when they get heavy with fruit.  Either the little wooden supporters for vines or something like these smaller ones.  Works well for me and lets me put several in my rectangular planters.

30 minutes ago, dfish said:

...We had a great visit to the Gardens today.

Deddie

@kazu Thanks for the info on the supporters you use. We'll see what the tomatoes want holding them up, lol.

@dfish L❤️VE the garden pictures; made my heart sing to see River doing cartwheels and enjoying being a kid on a beautiful day - job well done, Deddie!

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

@kazu Thanks for the info on the supporters you use. We'll see what the tomatoes want holding them up, lol.

if they are the cherry tomatoes like I have had (and I think they are all about the same - I’ve done several varieties) they don’t need the same support as Regular tomatoes.  At least mine haven’t.

they need room to.breathe and you get a big crop for some time.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Thanks to the Garden Club members for the suggestions.  She's going to try the peppercorns because we have some.  

We're hoping we wore someone out besides ourselves.  There is a kids playground with a water feature so we brought home a water logged little girl.  I laughed when I heard parents telling the kids not to get wet.  Why bring them to a place with water to play in if they can't get wet?  Clothes dry out.  River's are on the line in the back yard.

Deddie

beautiful and where is the heart emoji for these? I’ll just have to do my own ♥️💜❤️

• Like 17

1 hour ago, kazu said:

OMG that is absolutely disgusting that someone would steal from a grave 😡 I am so sorry 😔

thanks.  I am too.  I laughed at him for years buying gadgets that we didn’t need and I thought were useless.  If he’s watching he gets the last laugh on this one.

I am known for over doing usually but not this time.  I can only take so much as I am sure you understand.  I’m not making things worse if I can help it.

I love these supports and use the same thing.

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Deddie

Debbie (Deddie) gorgeous flowers and very cute little girl!  She looks so happy 🙂  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the comments on the flowers and River.  She has been happy this visit and we haven't had any of the problems we had the last time. I think it might be a combination of maturing and settling in at her other grandmother's.  The earliest her mom can come home is January.  So we have a good length of time for stability.  

• Like 21

Just now, kazu said:

you are on a Grand cruise - I’m wondering how much difference there is with a regular cruise ?  Sorry Bruce I can’t remember if you cruised the kind before or not.

It’s a big step up but this world has been over the top. You loved the Prisendam you would love this. Our best decision was to try something different.  Still love our HollandAmerica cruises but  it’s nice to try something different.

• Like 13

Just now, aliaschief said:

It’s a big step up but this world has been over the top. You loved the Prisendam you would love this. Our best decision was to try something different.  Still love our HollandAmerica cruises but  it’s nice to try something different.

Thanks and yes I loved the Prinsendam with her wonderful itineraries and crew and the better than regular HAL service.  I had over 1/2 my cruising days with her.

Appreciate the advice.  I’m tempted to try her - a bit nervous on being solo on Azamara - at least on HAL some “know” me.  If I can get the foot and leg problem solved, I’m going to take a very hard look at their cruises.  thank you 🙂 

• Like 13

7 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I never made paper airplanes and don't know how to do the Lindy Hop. Cellophane tape was an important development, although now somewhat obsolete. Funny Bombeck quote. Pass on the meal (pesto and quinoa). Pass on the drink and wine. I haven't been to Douglas, Isle of Man. 

It's going to be a nice day today, although storms again tonight. I don't know if I wore myself out helping BFF yesterday, or it was the wine with dinner, but I fell asleep watching the hockey game last night, from about 9-11:30 in my recliner. Then I went upstairs to bed and slept another 6 hours. They say you can't "catch up" on sleep, but I wonder, after those months of little sleep. So today I will relax, and tend to my indoor plants. I'm excited that my orchid has a new flower spike with buds.

@grapau27 Thanks for the link and explanation of the Lindy Hop.

@StLouisCruisers I hope the weather cooperates for you.

@MISTER 67 That was indeed sad news about Grayson Murray.

@ottahand7 I lost some hostas over the winter, saw some bareroot ones on sale, but passed as I'm not yet up to gardening. Perhaps in the fall.

@Cruzin Terri Happy Heavenly Birthday to your DM. Safe travels tomorrow.

@aliaschief The BBQ looks delicious. Enjoy Tunisia.

@kazu I'm glad you're trying not to overdo. 

@RMLincoln Sorry you had trouble sleeping last night. Enjoy the community theater. Exciting to be able to decrease the drops; I hope it goes well. 

@Nickelpenny Ewww on cockroaches. 

@ger_77 Sorry DH is having back discomfort and I hope the chiro can help. I was prone for my back surgery, and had bruises on my thighs and chest, plus some discomfort. That was a first. Your meal at the Chinese restaurant sounds great.

@cunnorl That really is low, stealing flags from a cemetery. I've heard of them stealing the metal medallions from graves too.

@Seasick Sailor I heard on the news about that tornado near Dallas and the deaths; so sad. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating. 

Vanessa, I'm glad you are still getting some much needed sleep.

6 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. My fantastic DB is staying a few more days. My DSIL had to return home for some appointments.  I promised to return him soon! Last night we looked at a DVD he had made from the home movies my father took. We laughed a lot and I noticed at a family party there were pitchers of Manhattans ( yikes) in the background. It explained a lot! It was great to see the family in our younger years.

@ger_77, I am sorry Maurice is having back pain and hope it is resolved soon. 
@dfish, Debbie, aka Deddy, I love the recipe for Mr RNB! I am going to try the street corn recipe today.

@cunnorl, My family in Massachusetts told me that someone stole my brother’s Memorial Day flag that my niece placed there Friday. They are going back today to replace it.

Have a good day all

Terry, I'm glad you DB is staying a few more days.  What fun to look at old pictures and remember earlier times with your family.

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Deddie

Debbie, the flowers are beautiful and River looks like she's having a lot of fun.

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Funny Paper Plane Joke! | LaffGaff, Home Of Laughter

Artizans - Image Information: Woman throws paper airplane, jokes old  communication better - Color

Paper Airplane Cartoons and Comics - funny pictures from CartoonStock

Paper Planes Cartoons and Comics - funny pictures from CartoonStock

Paper Airplane Cartoons and Comics - funny pictures from CartoonStock

Origami Jokes - Origamination

Thanks for more great memes, John.

24 minutes ago, dfish said:

Thanks for all the comments on the flowers and River.  She has been happy this visit and we haven't had any of the problems we had the last time. I think it might be a combination of maturing and settling in at her other grandmother's.  The earliest her mom can come home is January.  So we have a good length of time for stability.  

Debbie, I'm glad the visit is going well.  It seems like the mom's release date keeps getting pushed back.

Lenda

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, I'm glad the visit is going well.  It seems like the mom's release date keeps getting pushed back.

It was pushed back.  She violated a court order and it turns out that the court looks rather dimly on that.  So, instead of the county jail, she is at the women's reformatory until at least January.  I do worry about that.  When she got out the last time she had developed a real hard edge to her personality.  I'm concerned that it could be even worse this time.  Her brother is convinced she won't be out for long.  As it is, the two youngest kids won't know her when she does get out.  Ezra is a baby and Ocean is 3.  Her mom has been in jail most of Ocean's life.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

25 minutes ago, dfish said:

It was pushed back.  She violated a court order and it turns out that the court looks rather dimly on that.  So, instead of the county jail, she is at the women's reformatory until at least January.  I do worry about that.  When she got out the last time she had developed a real hard edge to her personality.  I'm concerned that it could be even worse this time.  Her brother is convinced she won't be out for long.  As it is, the two youngest kids won't know her when she does get out.  Ezra is a baby and Ocean is 3.  Her mom has been in jail most of Ocean's life.  

If I'm not overstepping, may I ask if you have contact w/Ezra and Ocean? I only see you mention River.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

If I'm not overstepping, may I ask if you have contact w/Ezra and Ocean? I only see you mention River.

Ezra and Ocean are not my sister's grandchildren.  Only River is.  The mother is the ex daughter in law of my sister and the other two children are from a different father.  River has contact with her half siblings and so does her other grandmother.

Edited by dfish
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

21 minutes ago, dfish said:

Ezra and Ocean are not my sister's grandchildren.  Only River is.  The mother is the ex daughter in law of my sister and the other two children are from a different father.  River has contact with her half siblings and so does her other grandmother.

Thank you.

Good that she is able to maintain contact w/her siblings. 

Just gotta say it again  - I loved the pictures of her in the garden. The cartwheel pictures are fabulous. She is blessed to have you both. 

• Like 7

I gotta do it - YAY Mavs 🏀! Their victory tonight puts them up in the series 3-0. Congrats!

A couple great pictures - previous & current powerhouses; amazingly talented athletes.

20240526_213952.thumb.jpg.90ddf9c95983800590f26cf184ca738f.jpg

20240526_214017.thumb.jpg.bd92f25b761d5a74aa92232f1ac62cc3.jpg

20240526_214124.thumb.jpg.af412081cb41d28fd8658254f9e44796.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

On a regular cruise you get the standard pattern and routines. On this cruise so many different things an events have been done. It’s just been an outstanding experience. Entertainment, food have all been over the top. Small ship atmosphere. Twice this week the hotel Director has sat down with us and had a cocktail. Last night dinner with our world voyage host. By now the crew that’s catering to guest all know our name and we know most of their names. Same is true with guest. 
It’s been so great we are going on a couple of more. One with Seabourn and another with Azamara if our health remains good. Trying something new was our best move yet. When one line starts getting repetitive will try something new but remain with small ships.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2