The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday May 29th, 2024

Good morning!  It's a sunny, beautiful day here.  We had a fun weekend at the lake house with family.  It rained all day Sunday, but we found games to play with the kiddos.  Thanks for all the reports and sharing here!  Happy Birthday and Happy anniversary greetings to @cat shepard and @Horizon chaser 1957@grapau27I hope you and Pauline are feeling better soon.  I'll  skip the meal today, we're having leftover baked salmon.  Sounds like we "need" an air fryer to cook it!  (I'm trying to down size, not get anything new!)  

We visited Anchorage in 2019.  It was our first cruise.  We were on the Westerdam and did the cruise and then the land tour to Denali.  In Anchorage we did the trolly tour of the town and then did a flight seeing tour later in the day.  We were amazed at the beautiful flowers there.  We hadn't planted any of ours yet that year.  The sunshine and long daylight hours are sure good for them!  (our veggies and flowers are growing now!)  Can't wait for tomatoes and cucumbers fresh from the garden! 

Have a great day, here are some of our photos! 

P1060379.JPG

P1060397.JPG

P1060416.JPG

P1060426.JPG

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

Good morning all!

The rain is supposed to slow down today and the sun will shine tomorrow and Friday.  I'm ready for it!  

Interesting collection of days.  I have 2 composters and the grandsons have 529 accounts.  I'll pass on the drink and red wine, would like the first recipe but would substitute the chickpeas for something else.  We've been to Anchorage a few times and will be there again next year on the 28-day Alaska Solstice cruise.  

Today a nurse will be calling me to do the pre-annual checkup call.  It's something they started doing a few years ago -- to save time -- apparently 😉  That and the pre-check in for appointments, but that rarely works and we still have to check in at the desk inside.  

Happy Birthday Ann @cat shepard!  Have a wonderful day.

Happy Anniversary Laura @Horizon chaser 1957!

Happy Birthday Peter @P&PNH!

Maureen @RMLincoln Very good news about the negative biopsy!

Roy @rafinmd Prayers for your friend Paul.

It does my heart good to see Amber moved from the Care List to the Celebrations List 🙂 I will let her family know.   Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for keeping up with all her medical challenges. This is the latest update that her husband (my BFF's son) posted just a couple days before she was discharged to go home: 

Hello every one this is Howard and Amber. We again want to thank you all for your spiritual, emotional and financial help through these trying times, it’s all been a great help beyond words really! We have been at providence rehabilitation for 3 weeks now where Amber has made great strides relearning to use her left side.
Amber would like to say… “thank you for the overwhelming love and support for my family it has strengthened me in my journey towards healing! I still have a long road ahead and I’m in the here and now to face my challenges going forward. Thank you for all your prayers they have helped tremendously.”

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Good morning and thanks all! 

@cat shepard a very happy birthday Anne!  

Anchorage is beautiful, we watched them catching King salmon aka Chinook.  Fresh sushi, and some of the best pizza and halibut.   Highly recommend you spend a few days there and visit the main museum.   

IMG_3051.jpeg

IMG_3039.jpeg

IMG_3045.jpeg

IMG_3044.jpeg

IMG_3049.jpeg

IMG_3047.jpeg

IMG_3040.jpeg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Good afternoon. Thanks for the FT/Daily @richwmn and to all contributors.

I'll salute UN peacekeepers. I need to learn about composting, as I know nothing. 529 day is important for those saving for kids' college tuitions (trade school too). Funny Twain quote. The meal sounds like a good side dish. Pass on the drink and yes to the wine. I have been to Anchorage. A great day in history.

It's cloudy and rainy, with threats of thunderstorms. It's only in the 60's. I was very tired yesterday after doing stuff for BFF, so I slept soundly last night. I'm just taking it easy, although researching installation of a wifi thermostat, so I don't have to go up to the 3rd floor to adjust that one (it is a programmable one). Also I still need to find someone to replace the LR radiator. 

@cat shepard Happy Birthday Ann! 

@P&PNH Happy Birthday Peter and Belated Birthday Paula!

@Horizon chaser 1957 Happy Anniversary Laura!

@grapau27 Beautiful poppies. I hope you and Pauline are feeling better.

@aliaschief Wow, that's a big jump in passengers. Enjoy Chioggia tomorrow.

@Haljo1935 Sorry to hear you couldn't get your eye procedure done. I hope the plugs help.

@richwmn 😀

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad you got your tour in earlier. Nice Anchorage photos.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Interesting photos.

@RMLincoln I had to smile at north Jersey; I grew up in central Jersey (hence no accent, lol). Continued good thoughts for your DH.

@marshhawk I'm sorry to hear of Chuck's pain. And hugs to you for all you're dealing with. Thanks for the photos.

@rafinmd Prayers that Paul recovers from the pneumonia.

@Seasick Sailor Nice photo of YSH. 

@Cruzin Terri I hope the injection helps. Safe trip home.

@kochleffel I saw about St. Theodosius on the news; sad to see the damage.

@quilty964 I did a flight tour there too.

@Cruising-along That was a nice post by Amber's DH. 

@bennybear I'll take the pizza. Thanks for the photos.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 8

From 2009

In Anchorage, we visited Portage glacier, then did a glacier flightseeing tour. 

0704.thumb.JPG.e3a68b7947750eb9eab62843f17173f5.JPG

0705.thumb.JPG.88cc4c4d187568948b6685a19c100aea.JPG

Rust's Flying Service seaplane

0714-RustsFlyingServiceseaplaneforglaciertour.thumb.JPG.f26a1f7ef8b0a408c937e1241704f994.JPG

Glacier flightseeing

0720.thumb.JPG.b92e2a028a23247c438781189962ac80.JPG

0729.thumb.JPG.b9b716b87645edc6c31102305760d3e0.JPG

0735.thumb.JPG.23048ffa474edf6de0c7815acbbac4db.JPG

BFF as "co-pilot"

0751.thumb.JPG.0a8f9e0eeec16dd9cc9b9d2d56aec463.JPG

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

7 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning from a sunny 62°F North East England.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

UN peacekeepers do a great job worldwide.

Today's food does not inspire me.

We have never been to Alaska.

Our poppy plant has 2 new flowers and 8 buds ready to open.

We are having a restful day watching TV.

I hope everyone is safe and well and y'all have a happy day.

IMG-20240529-WA0000.jpg

Oh say it isn't so. 

you MUST get to Alaska and leave from Vancouver and go 1 way to Seward and then do a land tour.  I am doing a nice one in July on Celebrity Summit.  Do go and see wonderful Alaska.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

@P&PNH Happy Birthday to you both!

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.6a8f23509ab48687e8181fd9dc05e0aa.jpg

@kochleffel I have been to that church in Cleveland.  A friend of mine attended services there regularly and when they made The Deer Hunter members of the church were hired as extras to dance the Russian dances.  Audrey and her mom can be seen in the dance scenes from the wedding. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, dfish said:

@P&PNH Happy Birthday to you both!

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.6a8f23509ab48687e8181fd9dc05e0aa.jpg

@kochleffel I have been to that church in Cleveland.  A friend of mine attended services there regularly and when they made The Deer Hunter members of the church were hired as extras to dance the Russian dances.  Audrey and her mom can be seen in the dance scenes from the wedding. 

IIRC, Ken Kovach, quoted in the WEWS report, was the choir master even then and was credited in the movie.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

leave from Vancouver and go 1 way to Seward and then do a land tour.

I believe that Holland America cruises, however, all use Whittier. This is OK for land tours, not for Kenai Fjords boat tours. I have a 2025 booking on NCL that also disembarks at Whittier, which was a surprise and not a very happy one since the cruise is a catch-up for one in 2020 that would gone to Seward. Then, I had booked a Kenai Fjords tour with Major Marine, and I can't find any practical way to get to Seward from Whittier.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Oh say it isn't so. 

you MUST get to Alaska and leave from Vancouver and go 1 way to Seward and then do a land tour.  I am doing a nice one in July on Celebrity Summit.  Do go and see wonderful Alaska.

Thank you for your advice.

Lovely to hear from you.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

Anchorage is beautiful, we watched them catching King salmon aka Chinook.  Fresh sushi, and some of the best pizza and halibut.   Highly recommend you spend a few days there and visit the main museum.   

IMG_3051.jpeg

IMG_3039.jpeg

IMG_3045.jpeg

IMG_3044.jpeg

IMG_3049.jpeg

IMG_3047.jpeg

IMG_3040.jpeg

Nice photos and your food looks delicious.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.

Thanks for the HAL Fleet locations and the Daily.

Edmund Hillary features on our $5.00 note.

Will catch up with all the posts later.

• Like 19

Posted (edited)

Good afternoon from a warmer than predicted central Texas.  Before we headed to Waco, I made a quick trip to the grocery store, and now I have some meat that needs to be packaged for the freezer.    

The trip was successful, and we now have a new golf cart.  It should be here by Saturday.  We went expecting to get a four seat cart, but wound up with a "classic" two seater.  We bought an Evolution that has lithium batteries, so no more worries about running out of gas, which has happened.  This one has a display were you can check the battery level.  The golf carts with the lithium batteries sit higher off the ground, and the one we thought we wanted was high enough that it was a little difficult for DH to get in and not that easy for me.   While the two seater is still higher, it is several inches lower to the ground and just what we needed.  It was also about 2/3s the price of the four seater.  We were lucky they had one in stock, and while we were looking for a white one, the black one is not that bad.  I'll just have to wash it more often -- maybe.

We also stopped at a jewelry store since I had two watches that needed work, and I had lost a small diamond out of my wedding ring.  I also wanted them to check the settings on my other rings before something happened to them.  They should be ready in a couple of weeks or so.

It was nice to get away from home and drive through the country side which is very green from all our rain.  The corn crops are really growing and already very tall. 

We drove across the dam, and our lake is flooded.  The boat ramps and day use areas are underwater.  The maximum elevation for the lake is 533 feet, and as of last Sunday the level was 539.9 feet.  That is down about 2 1/2 feet from the week before.  The earliest the parks will open is July 4, but if we get more rain, it could be later.

7 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Good Wednesday Morning Dailyites!  Computer weather report says-Humid.  That all so far. So the "out the window" report- it's cooler than yesterday, the sun is shining, and my arthritis in my fingers are letting me know, it's humid.

I have been worried about my daily friends west of Georgia,  I hope that you are all safe in TX.

Things at home have not been so great.  DH is in a lot of pain, and cant seem to focus on anything-that and his meds, just doing something simple like putting ice on the part that hurts, he forgets to do, and I hear him moaning and just trying to breathe.  And then after I get ice on him, and tell him to relax, 20 minutes later he's fine and want to fix dinner, and then he starts and he cant finish.  So yesterday was a very long day for me.

We got the babies to the vets, and because their updates were done by an assistant, we were not allowed back to be with them as their second round of deworming and weigh ins were being done.  I gave the nice lady my camera, and she took pictures of them on the scale.  They now all weigh more than a pound and a half. 

Then we took them home, went and had lunch at a new greek restaurant (food was fantastic, but limited menu) then picked up some necessaries, got home, watched the F3 Race from Sunday, and then at 4 I went to the "second" job, got off at nine, I fixed dinner due to DH's pain, I walked the neighbors dog and sat down to play mahjong on the computer (my only respite these days) and realized it was past midnight. I went to bed, didn't sleep well, so about 5 hours total, and today I get to work the full 8 hours. I did cook extra burgers for dinner tonight so at least I know that dinner is done. Trying to give both campaigns 20 hours as my contract says, so my next day off is Sunday.

Anchorage AK!  I have been there, our port after Kodiak, which we never made it to due to bad weather.  May of 23-and we sailed right into a typhoon.  The pool was over flowing, and the ship was leaning, and the wind was incredible.  

image.thumb.jpeg.bd6b1b9504c641a11bb539aa3b908eab.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d2f3b6e7c469be879e8c54850601bc07.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e5651fff75a44511c023693b58af5505.jpeg

this picture is the curtain not hanging straight down because the ship was listing so badly

image.thumb.jpeg.9ec3ddf147bdcfa394bc34241244cece.jpeg

The captain sailed us behind some mountains, and out of the wind, and the next day we arrived safely in Anchorage.  Poor planning on excursions through Holland, as our excursion was cancelled as the tour guide didnt start up for two weeks later in the season, so we did an Anchorage tour.  We went out to Earthquake Park, an area destroyed by the earthquake, and no one is allowed to build on the peninsula mow,.  A fuzzy picture of our HAL ship, and a view from the park.

image.thumb.jpeg.401d187e639f1d022258b861c12f3ad6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cdcbc924058fc50a37e4b1072ce69049.jpeg

We then went to the Aviation Museum, something we always try to do if we can, as DH was Air Force

image.thumb.jpeg.8a274da3487dfaa41111b809f2743f60.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4f668db5119191c7d3c7a990e4dac9a3.jpeg

Because the tours ended up having two tours arrive 5 minutes apart at the museum, we had a lot of wander time outside before our group could get into the museum. I ended up buying a huge thick book about WWII in Alaska, and am still reading it.. After we were rushed through the museum, we went to a store that sold CANDY, and while it took us 10 days to eat what our BFF had purchased that day, this is what I remember- it was right next to the store.

image.thumb.jpeg.cabfcd388f729cfd13e5f3dff06278df.jpeg

Coming back to the ship- and a few views from the ship-

image.thumb.jpeg.64586fba293c5576645b961fa7e7b399.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.dacdc0053db979940f33b0602f31ddc8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4216d8d468cae82c61619ceee858210a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.446a64ec0c033380c7780ae11ce465c3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.baa6f09364d4c553a4c595b5837480c6.jpeg

Doesn't anyone proof read anymore?

image.thumb.jpeg.384b4ca5469ca2101a2973bcd9f33030.jpeg

Annie, I wish I could wave a magic wand and ease your DH's pain.  I hope he can get some relief.  I'm glad the kittens are growing and doing well.  Even though you are busy, please take some time for yourself.  Thanks for the pictures.  We've been the the air museum in Anchorage twice, and enjoyed it.

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie for the  Fleet Report and Daily.  Three nice days to celebrate, especially UN Peacekeepers.

I think there’s a lot of truth in Twain’s quote.

A great accomplishment by Hillary, Norgay, and their support team..

I have been to Anchorage many times, but never by ship, always from Whittier, Seward, or Denali.

I’ll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Papaya with Rainbow of Fruit, and Tournedos Rossini as served on MS Prinsendam May 29, 2015.

Best wishes for Graham and Pauline.  It is somewhat cooler today.  Paul from my church now has pneumonia, although the antibiotics seem to have cleared up his blood infection.

Roy

Roy, sending positive thoughts for Paul's recovery from pneumonia.

7 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Interesting collection of photos Lenda.

Thank you, Graham.  You and Pauline both need to visit Alaska.  The 28 day cruise next summer would let you see many interesting places.  However, you need to see the interior also, since it is very different from the coastal areas.

7 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites. 69 now going to 87. Rain possibly later.

@cat shepard  Ann: "Wishing you the biggest slice of happy today.”

@Horizon chaser 1957 Here's to another year of creating beautiful memories together. 

Lenda, here is Oliver's favorite vehicle, Elvis:

0407211938a_HDR.thumb.jpg.7d1bfe8b602d1103ef9a91e977c12ff8.jpg

0407211935.thumb.jpg.936c17e38c74593fb7c554871e195629.jpg

0725192312.thumb.jpg.9276adc5cd4f76e11b5682cf7682b74a.jpg

0722191113_HDR.thumb.jpg.0ebf8843cbfa82c146f75b5fde498f69.jpg

Prayers lifted for all our Daily friends who are having pain and injuries. Wishing Pauline and Graham a healthy day. Sandi hoping your cough is better and your cold goes away. It is miserable to be on a lovely cruise and be sick.

Jacqui hoping you have not been over doing yourself. We need to get you up and running!! 

Today we are having friends for Happy Hour. Nothing else has been planned. Just the way I like it!

Blessings to each of you. 

Joy, thanks for the pictures of Elvis.  Our Brandy and Nikki loved riding in our golf cart, and Nikki loved the Polaris Ranger we have in Quartzsite.

7 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning 

Just a quick note.

I am sitting in the waiting area expecting to be called soon.  

I am supposed to get a steroid injection in my shoulder that will hopefully relieve the pain I am having.  

As I am typing this, the Doctor came out to tell me that he is waiting for his PA to come from the OR so that she can assist him.  It will only be a few more minutes.

After that I’ll go back to the hotel and get our things together and we will be on our way.

We had a lovely time last night visiting our friends and a lovely dinner.  It was really nice to see them after such a long time,

@cat shepard  Happy Birthday

@Horizon chaser 1957 Happy Anniversary.

Prayers for all.

Hope everyone has a great day.

God Bless,

Terri

Terri, I hope the injection helps you as much as they helped DH.  Safe travels home.

6 hours ago, kazu said:

Just found out about another birthday today and a belated one.   Regular followers on the Daily and posting on occasions.

Peter @P&PNH Has a birthday today.  Happy Birthday Peter!

and sadly his DH’s Paula’s was May 25th.  A very happy belated birthday to you.  I hope you were treated like royalty!

IMG_3616.jpeg.eb5283626101bdbdb8c65382d51ec289.jpeg

Thank for letting us know about Peter and Paula's birthdays, Jacqui.  I hope your feeling better today.

5 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

ScreenShot2024-05-29at07_35_03.thumb.png.dd490c71211c6e945921c080234b7896.png

Thanks for the daily and fleet report.  Peacekeepers have had a lot of work to do lately and a 529 plan wasn't around for me or my kids.  Now composting - I need to learn about that as I think it might be an interesting thing to do.  Twain's quote is true, yes to the meal (and reminds me to cook some chickpeas in my instant pot) and wine, no to the drink and I have been to Anchorage many times but never from a BHB.  A momentous day in history.

IMG_7860.thumb.JPG.b7f565be5953893196a504f949fae3ae.JPG

My bathtub/shower faucet is fixed!!  No more constant dripping.  I wonder if that will reduce my gas bill - which is rather low to begin with - but we will see.  And I got rid of my shower chair!!  A friend is having lapiplasty next week and, since she can't be weight-bearing on her foot for at least 4 weeks, she needs one.  I refused to have her pay me for it; I was glad to give it to her.

IMG_7862.thumb.JPG.2e41194af5fed0920f55b0f9ee0dda9e.JPG

I keep looking at the HAL website looking for another cruise to book but nothing seems to hit my fancy.  I need to go on the NA, as it is the only BHB that I have not been on.  Plus I need to use my free bingo cruise!!  It is itching in "my pocket"!!!  I tend not to go to the same places I have been in my travels so that limits me tremendously - as well as finances!!  LOL!!  It is hard as a solo cruiser.

IMG_7863.JPG.f75211e1b84410e48f9d8898ff1577e7.JPG

Happy Birthday @cat shepard and Happy Anniversary @Horizon chaser 1957@Cruzin Terri safe travels home and hugs to anyone who may need one - stated or not.  Cheers to those celebrating.  Have a great day everyone.

IMG_7865.thumb.JPG.774380ceef9a429e5094ae380fe9f3a3.JPG

Pennie, I'm glad your faucet has been fixed.  I loved the memes.

5 hours ago, Denise T said:

My Anchorage experience last year did not go as planned. Our goal was to fly into Anchorage, settle into the hotel and do some sightseeing a day before our cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam which was sailing out of Whittier. Mind you was coming from Pennsylvania. We flew out of Philadelphia to Charlotte, then to Dallas where we met up with my brother and sister-in-law. We were to fly from Dallas to Anchorage. Well. our flight out of Dallas was delayed by several hours as they looked for a replacement pilot as ours was pulled for another flight. Needless to say, we did not get to Anchorage and our hotel until midnight Anchorage time. 

20230527_223620.thumb.jpg.9d746f32dc1dbbbc1296d275420487b6.jpg20230528_011935.thumb.jpg.a1e5fb3d0f274cebf1ab334db86f8588.jpg20230528_011943.thumb.jpg.57228fc07c5c947907d20122a3c05da1.jpg

Denise, this just means you need to book another cruise, and head to Alaska two days early.

5 hours ago, kochleffel said:

I could make the menu suggestion today, with a different mix of vegetables. I'd try the drink, once. I had to look up cachaca; it's sometimes called Brazilian rum but is made from fresh cane juice, not molasses, and has distinct flavors (variable depending on whether and how it's aged). Cabernet Sauvignon really isn't a top grower in the Finger Lakes, but wineries grow a lot of it anyway, because of market familiarity and demand. We might try Barnstormer Winery's 2022. "Cool climate expression of Cabernet Sauvignon. Dark peppery notes, black cherries, leather, and a hint of smoke and vanilla," $30.

I slept well last night, which is so rare that it feels abnormal.

Did you see the film The Deer Hunter? The church in it, St. Theodosius Orthodox Cathedral in Cleveland, caught fire last night, apparently in connection with work being done on the copper onion domes. Because the fire at the roof level, the body of the church was saved, but with tremendous water damage. https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/firefighters-battle-church-fire-in-tremont.

catNDA.jpg.fa3b3e2045b3f19aceee7196f154a596.jpg

Paul, that is sad news about the church fire.  I'm glad the damage was limited to the upper part and the roof.

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

The rain is supposed to slow down today and the sun will shine tomorrow and Friday.  I'm ready for it!  

Interesting collection of days.  I have 2 composters and the grandsons have 529 accounts.  I'll pass on the drink and red wine, would like the first recipe but would substitute the chickpeas for something else.  We've been to Anchorage a few times and will be there again next year on the 28-day Alaska Solstice cruise.  

Today a nurse will be calling me to do the pre-annual checkup call.  It's something they started doing a few years ago -- to save time -- apparently 😉  That and the pre-check in for appointments, but that rarely works and we still have to check in at the desk inside.  

Happy Birthday Ann @cat shepard!  Have a wonderful day.

Happy Anniversary Laura @Horizon chaser 1957!

Happy Birthday Peter @P&PNH!

Maureen @RMLincoln Very good news about the negative biopsy!

Roy @rafinmd Prayers for your friend Paul.

It does my heart good to see Amber moved from the Care List to the Celebrations List 🙂 I will let her family know.   Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for keeping up with all her medical challenges. This is the latest update that her husband (my BFF's son) posted just a couple days before she was discharged to go home: 

Hello every one this is Howard and Amber. We again want to thank you all for your spiritual, emotional and financial help through these trying times, it’s all been a great help beyond words really! We have been at providence rehabilitation for 3 weeks now where Amber has made great strides relearning to use her left side.
Amber would like to say… “thank you for the overwhelming love and support for my family it has strengthened me in my journey towards healing! I still have a long road ahead and I’m in the here and now to face my challenges going forward. Thank you for all your prayers they have helped tremendously.”

Carolyn, thanks for the message from Amber and her DH.  I hope her recovery continues on track and she has a full recovery.

4 hours ago, bennybear said:

IMG_3051.jpeg

IMG_3039.jpeg

IMG_3045.jpeg

IMG_3044.jpeg

IMG_3049.jpeg

IMG_3047.jpeg

IMG_3040.jpeg

We've spent several days in Anchorage in the motorhome exploring the area.  Alaska is amazing.

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the FT/Daily @richwmn and to all contributors.

I'll salute UN peacekeepers. I need to learn about composting, as I know nothing. 529 day is important for those saving for kids' college tuitions (trade school too). Funny Twain quote. The meal sounds like a good side dish. Pass on the drink and yes to the wine. I have been to Anchorage. A great day in history.

It's cloudy and rainy, with threats of thunderstorms. It's only in the 60's. I was very tired yesterday after doing stuff for BFF, so I slept soundly last night. I'm just taking it easy, although researching installation of a wifi thermostat, so I don't have to go up to the 3rd floor to adjust that one (it is a programmable one). Also I still need to find someone to replace the LR radiator. 

@cat shepard Happy Birthday Ann! 

@P&PNH Happy Birthday Peter and Belated Birthday Paula!

@Horizon chaser 1957 Happy Anniversary Laura!

@grapau27 Beautiful poppies. I hope you and Pauline are feeling better.

@aliaschief Wow, that's a big jump in passengers. Enjoy Chioggia tomorrow.

@Haljo1935 Sorry to hear you couldn't get your eye procedure done. I hope the plugs help.

@richwmn 😀

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad you got your tour in earlier. Nice Anchorage photos.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Interesting photos.

@RMLincoln I had to smile at north Jersey; I grew up in central Jersey (hence no accent, lol). Continued good thoughts for your DH.

@marshhawk I'm sorry to hear of Chuck's pain. And hugs to you for all you're dealing with. Thanks for the photos.

@rafinmd Prayers that Paul recovers from the pneumonia.

@Seasick Sailor Nice photo of YSH. 

@Cruzin Terri I hope the injection helps. Safe trip home.

@kochleffel I saw about St. Theodosius on the news; sad to see the damage.

@quilty964 I did a flight tour there too.

@Cruising-along That was a nice post by Amber's DH. 

@bennybear I'll take the pizza. Thanks for the photos.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating.  

Vanessa, I'm glad you are able to get a good night's sleep after busy days.  We have a wifi thermostat, and it's nice to be able to program it from our tablets or phones.

@P&PNH

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PAUL.

HBBalloons.jpg.756865a2dc29b034852e64c092171f4e.jpg

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, PAULA

happy-belated-birthday-happy-late-birthday.gif.878b4760593df67bdfffb7351e1c453f.gif

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 4

Hi friends! Feeling grumpy this afternoon. A dear friend (DF) & I were supposed to go see Bonnie Raitt in concert in Baltimore this evening. DF returned yesterday from a 2-week trip to Portugal and was feeling "off" this morning, so went to Urgent Care. Yup, you guessed it! She has covid. Luckily, it seems she caught it early, so should have an easy recovery. I'm disappointed, but glad she'll be ok. There will be other concerts! 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 9

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Hi friends! Feeling grumpy this afternoon. A dear friend (DF) & I were supposed to go see Bonnie Raitt in concert in Baltimore this evening. DF returned yesterday from a 2-week trip to Portugal and was feeling "off" this morning, so went to Urgent Care. Yup, you guessed it! She has covid. Luckily, it seems she caught it early, so should have an easy recovery. I'm disappointed, but glad she'll be ok. There will be other concerts! 

Sorry to hear about your friend and you missing Bonnie Raitt in concert.

It is still an unpleasant virus so prayers 🙏 she is able to rest and fully recover at home.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 13

Good afternoon all,

The afternoon has turned out beautifully sunny, a little earlier than I expected.  So I've been working on de-candling  the Mugo Pine.  

The phone call with the nurse (pre-annual check up) was interesting.  I guess now that I'm "ahem" older, they do memory tests too...reciting the months backwards, counting backwards, memorizing an address and then remembering it after a lot of other discussion...scared me to death, my memory has never been good!  But I passed with flying colors thank goodness.  

• Like 21

20 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good afternoon all,

The afternoon has turned out beautifully sunny, a little earlier than I expected.  So I've been working on de-candling  the Mugo Pine.  

The phone call with the nurse (pre-annual check up) was interesting.  I guess now that I'm "ahem" older, they do memory tests too...reciting the months backwards, counting backwards, memorizing an address and then remembering it after a lot of other discussion...scared me to death, my memory has never been good!  But I passed with flying colors thank goodness.  

I refuse to do those memory tests.  I told them they can figure out if I am oriented to time and  place by carrying on a conversation with me, but I refuse to engage in those games.  They understand.  A lot of that is mining for more diagnoses.  The more complicated you are, the more money they can charge.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, dfish said:

I refuse to do those memory tests.  I told them they can figure out if I am oriented to time and  place by carrying on a conversation with me, but I refuse to engage in those games.  They understand.  A lot of that is mining for more diagnoses.  The more complicated you are, the more money they can charge.  

Debbie it never occurred to me to refuse -- I don't blame you, and the memory test isn't fun and games 😉 And you're right, the doctor (or nurse) can easily know if I'm oriented to time and place by carrying on a conversation with me.  After all, that's what they did before this new requirement.  

It's Medicare who requires it, though.  And all my medical bills are paid by Medicare and Tricare, so I don't think I can refuse (?)

• Like 12

29 minutes ago, dfish said:

When they ask me if I have trouble hearing, I say "What???" and that elicits a laugh!  My inner voice tells me to me nice - NOT!!  LOL!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 13

1 minute ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

@Cruising-along, I also have Medicare and yes you can refuse it. I think my Dr needed to take it when he asked me who referred me and my answer was it’s a return visit. 😆

Thanks, good to know!  Now if I can remember that a year from now when my next wellness exam comes up!  🤣

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

Good evening to all.  We just returned from dinner at our favorite Italian restaurant in Manchester. Leftovers for another night in the fridge.  Paula and I just want to thank everyone for the birthday wishes. I enjoy reading the FR&D daily, and thank you all for your contributions.  Tomorrow is Kazu's turn for birthday wishes.

Thanks again to everyone.

Peter

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1