The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday July 8th, 2024

Today is Math 2.0 Day, National Freezer Pop Day, and National Video Game Day

It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it.--Oscar Wilde

Meal Suggestion for today - Spicy Black Bean Soup
Drink of the Day - Cranberry Mimosa
Wine of the Day - Educated Guess Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
Destination of the Day - Hong Kong, China

Today in History:
1497 Portuguese navigator Vasco da Gama departs on his first voyage, will become the 1st European to reach India by sea

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Juneau, Alaska 12:30 - 22:00

Koningsdam

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska 09:00 - 09:30

Nieuw Amsterdam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 15:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Statendam

Isafjordur, Iceland

Noordam

At Sea Destination Ketchikan, Alaska eta 7/9

Oosterdam

Kotor, Montenegro 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Stornoway, Isle of Lewis and Harris, Scotland 08:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada 09:00 - 18:00

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 07-09

Zaandam

Ketchikan, Alaska 1100-1900

Zuiderdam

At Sea Scenic Cruising Greenland

0708Alaska.thumb.png.39579382b5e20478d99d40893ec6b790.png

0708Atlantic.thumb.png.8515faf740da791fdb4dfd03522f0fa3.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 27

Good morning friends!  The Zuiderdam continues on our days at sea heading to Nuuk on the western coast of Greenland.  We are traveling around the ice laden seas of southern Greenland at 16 knots.  Temperature is 45, skies are overcast and winds are about 19.4 mph. 

Thanks Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report as well as the maps of our locations.  Math is a good thing to recognize.  Freezer pops were enjoyable as a child.  There is a young man on board who was seated next to us at breakfast playing video games.  He’s from San Diego and had only seen snow once when we arrived in Iceland.  Today’s quote is interesting.  I’m sure the spicy black bean soup will be popular.  Not sure I’d like the cranberry mimosa, but I bet DH would like to try the Napa Cabernet Sauvignon.  Good for Vasco da Gama going on his adventure to India way back in 1497.  Thanks to Debbie @dfish,Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for the F&B reports. 

Prayers for our Daily Care list people.  Hoping for improvement in everyone’s situation!  Prayers too for the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages, our military in the region, my DB, and Alex/Jordan’s twin boys soon to arrive.  Cheers to all celebrating special events and our cruisers (myself included).  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for keeping the lists updated for us.

The port of the day is Hong Kong, China.  We had it only once before on July 29, 2022.  We were lucky enough to go there in 2010 and had an enjoyable time.  It was an overnight so we had plenty of time to see things.  I’ll post the link in case you need to retrieve photos.  And I’ll repost my own photos. 

Hoping all are staying cool (I know I am).  Stay safe and keep well everyone.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Today’s Care List:

Kazu having leg/foot pain, to have stents placed, planning a move

Heartgrove’s DSIL with upcoming surgery

Cruzin Terri with right bicep muscle tear, steroid injection

StLouisCruisers’ twin’s arm injury

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US (Beryl)

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness

Heartgrove’s DW’s DBIL with pancreatic cancer

Catmando’s DB Scottie post stroke

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie diagnosed with breast cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

RMLincoln’s DH weaned off eye drops

Mr. Boston’s furniture/belongings being delivered to the new house today

Dfish meeting her new great niece Addie

Luvteaching’s DM did well with heart procedure and is back home

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

luvteaching (Westerdam to July 14) 7d Alaska Explorer, tupper10 (Zuiderdam to July 20) 21d Viking Passage and StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 18
  • Thanks 24

Our ship Diamond Princess arrived in Hong Kong harbor the morning of April 20, 2010, so over 12 years ago!  It was very dreary looking out but that doesn't stop a cruiser taking a tour of Hong Kong for the first time.  We would be in Hong Kong on an overnight stay with us docked the first day and moved to an outer harbor anchorage that night.  We got on a bus and were taken to a ferry terminal that would take us across the harbor to the downtown area.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLIzzXptZmAecZ1loCwctGa?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616002663

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK0EdzCzNFKFy3yIwLqwIwo?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616002676

Heading across the waters to explore the big city00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKVytoKEx2_8GiIlrwJbes0Kwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616002738

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKXyIlccp3OOPzj2nbcaF5IaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616002738

Upon reaching shore we were driven to the tram which would take us up to the top of Victoria Peak.  Here is a picture of the Bank of China tower.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIBoapfEiz7bRNeRLhMkBNnldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1659094962

The tram rides nearly vertical up the hillside to the Peak.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL0x5TqvF_eKPA96qlSOFmU?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616003047

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ6CFBhv_PbHpqGY4mg6Qh-V7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616003065

The direction we came from after getting off the tram.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI3WB5aSFDz-qlRJTVXKg1FUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616003172

We thought it was cloudy and dark at the bottom but up at the top it was very foggy!  This would have been so nice on a clear sunny day.  I hope someone else has some photos like that to share.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ_eS0bVTG70C9JcWMpuq2M4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616003273

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJuW3p_MqVK8XN6qbPXhajdrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616003223

Kindergarten class on a field trip.  Note how well behaved they are.  No one jumping up and running around.  Kudos to the teacher.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKagpYOMY2cKzEPmsxQhs545cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616003348

Next we were put on a bus and driven down the hill and around the island.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIAwXsmhGVrTG6LpAh_SOW7VZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616003383

I think this was a horse race track.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKNccKbTT1UqwW-tUC33YcSKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616003419

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJiXpUZlvHGf18pkZwA3stH4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616003455

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJgOoFKvQ0awIrp2MoeLJm6aAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616003521

At this point we went to this floating restaurant for lunch.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJZXrjzcvTyhLW_MihB7871?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1274835914

I must have been a real rookie in 2010 because I didn't even take photos of the lunch!  I'll continue in another post with the evening light show and second day photos.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 10

Each evening at 8 pm Hong Kong put on a laser light show so our spot in Victoria Harbor moving slowly along during the show, was perfect.  My point and shoot camera didn't get the best photos but I remember I took a video which was pretty awesome.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJsv9c4rhp8Qh3nLwgKJORQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1274835914

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJtg6g6sQT43YgBHSxnIpkP5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616004882

The next morning was just as cloudy and gloomy but we took a long tender ride over to downtown to walk around and do some shopping.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLIgq0ntilFVYFjqeBtTTfjUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616004902

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIahM4XhErd2jRv_iVyhGTXVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616004930

We went to a jewelry store recommended to us and purchased a beautiful jade bracelet.  Then we just took in the sights.  This construction project caught my eye.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI-yQnqXbeToX9msFYIfjUt4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1659094487

Whatever that is didn't look too sturdy.  Bamboo?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIRielBo1aarR3U0rdf5sHQqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616004941

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK5VUZQTLNi_SWKlTiyWCmgqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1659094602

That was the end of our stay in Hong Kong.  I'm glad I got to go there because I don't think we would be able to go back there anymore.  Sadly that's the case in many of our former ports of call.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 9

Cranberry Mimosa cocktail:

INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup (4 ounces) cranberry juice
1 cup (8 ounces) champagne
Sparkling sugar, for garnish
Fresh cranberries, for garnish

INSTRUCTIONS
Rim two champagne glasses with a little water and then dip in sparking sugar.
Pour 1/4 cup cranberry juice in each champagne glass.
Add 1/2 cup champagne to each glass.
Top with a few fresh or frozen cranberries and serve immediately. Enjoy!

Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 6.46.53 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 18

Just now, summer slope said:

INGREDIENTS

INSTRUCTIONS

I think I could handle cranberry juice and champagne!

• Like 21

Good Monday Morning Dailytites!  Off to the CT scan this morning, cant connect to our local TV channel, but have 5 on local fox.  It seems that Dekalb county was the one county that  was hit by that storm last night, and people are still without power.  We have power, but i worry about the street lights north of us not having power.  We shall see.  Cats are fed, I'm about to run into the shower, and I leave in 30 minutes.

DH said he would come with me today, but once again, he is sound asleep.  I made coffee, but not sure if I can have any, so he can have coffee.  Have a great day!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4

Good morning and thank you for the HAL fleet report and all the daily information. I’ll be getting up in a bit for the start of another work week and it’s going to be a hot one. 🥵 I’m lucky to work inside where there is AC. 

Thank you all for caring and sharing.  Prayers for everyone who needs them.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

IMG_3326.thumb.jpeg.49e9342e500cdbaa679d531e6f369beb.jpeg

• Like 33

Good Monday morning everyone and thanks for the Daily and maps Rich.  Math 2.0, I hope Graham can come up with a definition, I can' figure how math is changed.   Shave ice for me rather than freezer pops but they do make a pretty good sugar free fudge bar.   My video game days ended with Atari.  Too early to think about that quote.  A great day in world exploration.  Thanks for the photos of Hong Kong Sandi.  John would love today's soup, he always orders it on a BHB and adds hot sauce to it.  A Cranberry Mimosa is better than a regular on for me and I look forward to a review of today's wine.  

Vanessa, thanks for the cares and celebrations reports today.  @marshhawk I hope your CT scan goes well today.  Continuing prayers for Tana, Terry, Terri, Bonnie, Chuck and Jacqui.  Jacqui I hope you get called for your surgery this week.  Prayers for all who are ailing or grieving and all in war zones through no fault of their own.

It is July and it is finally beginning to warm up.  We have a week ahead in the 80s and 90 next Sunday in predicted.  Maybe the lake will warm up to the 70s and the fish will bite for us.  The neighbor's grandkids went fishing with their Dad.  They caught big bluegill over a foot long, he is a professional fisherman so they had a good teacher.  My sister is still up here for one more day so we will have company for one more dinner.   Have a lovely Monday!  Nancy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4

I woke to a bit of rain overnight...  but strong winds should miss us up here in the Austin area.  

Thank you for the Reports!

I love Math, always have.  It comes easily to me, so never had to struggle -- but as I grow older, I seem to use aids and electronics more and more.  Freezer Pops are wonderful in this warm triple digit weather!!  And I'll pass on Video Games.  Just never got into them!!

I think Oscar got a bit too deep for me...  

The meals and beverages sound YUMMY!!   And, Hong Kong is beautiful!!

Have a wonderful day and enjoy!!!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LambKnuckles said:

I woke to a bit of rain overnight...  but strong winds should miss us up here in the Austin area.  

Thank you for the Reports!

I love Math, always have.  It comes easily to me, so never had to struggle -- but as I grow older, I seem to use aids and electronics more and more.  Freezer Pops are wonderful in this warm triple digit weather!!  And I'll pass on Video Games.  Just never got into them!!

I think Oscar got a bit too deep for me...  

The meals and beverages sound YUMMY!!   And, Hong Kong is beautiful!!

Have a wonderful day and enjoy!!!

I agree that Oscar Wilde quote is too deep. He should stick to self portraits!

• Like 10
  • Haha 10

A quick, early  good morning.  We are okay, just getting rain, but that should end in a couple of hours.  This is a band of thunderstorms that is not part of Beryl.  We'll get a few showers from Beryl's western edge early this afternoon, but with lower winds than predicted.

As with most hurricanes, Beryl changed course and made landfall well east of Corpus Christi and will miss Joy @Seasick Sailor, Lambie @LambKnuckles and Elizabeth @Haljo1935 except for some rain this afternoon.  It looks liike Elizabeth is getting rain from the same band of storms we are.

Beryl's path through Texas includes the Houston area, The Woodlands where we used to live, and Conroe where DH's younger brother lives.  She will continue northeast and basically follow I-30 out of Texas and through Arkansas.

Lenda

• Like 26
  • Thanks 6

42 minutes ago, summer slope said:

INGREDIENTS

INSTRUCTIONS

I will add as a garnish a slice of turkey!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Happy Freezer Pop Day! My mother would not let me have a popsicle from the local drugstore until after May1. She felt that before that the popsicle stock was left over from the previous year so wouldn't be fresh.

DSIL has her appointment with the thoracic surgeon. He will discuss with her what her options for surgery are.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Good morning. Up early this morning as I have a busy week in preparation for our family week at a beach house on Saint George Island, Florida starting next Sunday. Three couple’s and three grandchildren should keep us busy and having fun. Large beach house with pool, hot tub and all the amenities. Except the granddaughters we are all sharing the cost.

We enjoyed our recent visit to Hong Kong and will be returning in 2026.

Going to get a walk in, then take the car for an oil change and of course it’s Monday and laundry day. First of all it’s time to enjoy and finish this cup of coffee.

I do hope you all have a safe, healthy and good news week. Thanks for reports and post. Bruce

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good sunny morning, it’s 73 with a feels like 83 and a high of 97 expected today. We also have an air quality advisory until tomorrow evening. I’m staying indoors, can’t wait for this to end.

A cranberry mimosa sounds good.

The fireworks continued last night. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! It feels like rain outside. The humidity is back with a vengeance. You know that clammy feeling on your skin. Ick. We do need rain. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us!

Gym, Bindi walks, chores & pool time. Planning a few farewells for my neighbor. One for the neighborhood at a neighbor’s house. One at my place with friends & Limon Drops (50 - 50 Limoncello & vodka in a martini glass with lemon sugar rim) and appetizers. And then the final farewell at her favorite restaurant. 

IMG_3120.jpeg.37557088148dc4e697df788d1fd29243.jpeg

IMG_3111.jpeg.0a70a4c2eacb7b3c8fa04d10bdd6cb13.jpeg

IMG_3007.jpeg.8229d4dd19afdff51e588996ffe8dbf4.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Tana praying that you have a comfortable day. Praying for our caregivers. I marvel at what you do. Every day. Please take care of yourselves, too. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile!

Educated Guess Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2021

This Cab sounds lovely. Easy to find and reasonably priced. Not sure I know what a powdery tannin is. Anyone know?  Online prices start at $21.99.

Winemaker Notes

This Cabernet Sauvignon leaps from the glass with rich ripe flavors of sweet black currant, juicy blackberry, and cherry liquor, intermingled with hints of shaved chocolate, earth, and fresh tobacco leaf. The layers of flavors are balanced by hits of tasty oak. Silky soft yet structured tannins coat the palate and contribute to a long lasting finish.

91Wine Enthusiast

Darkly fruity and chocolaty, this full-bodied wine is a good value for Napa Valley. Not too tannic, the wine wraps a smooth texture around the ample dark plum, cocoa and cinnamon flavors. Enjoy now through 2028 with roast beef or Korean barbecue. 

90James Suckling

Ripe and mellow character of dark berries, plum skins, blue flowers and sweet spices. Full-bodied, deep and succulent with powdery tannins and a fruit-forward, supple finish.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 15
  • Haha 4

Good morning and thank you for the Report.

It's going to be another hot one here, today's high is forecast to be 30C (86F) but with the humidex it will feel like 36C (97F).  There's a risk of thunderstorm this afternoon.I need to do some vacuuming, and clean some windows, not sure what else is on the agenda.

Interesting days to celebrate.  I was always good at math, I haven't had a freezer pop in years, I play solitaire on the computer, that's my video game.

Love the quote.

I'll pass on the meal but the drink and the wine sound good.

Thanks for the pictures of Hong Kong, I'll never get there.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.  

I hope everyone in the path of Beryl are safe.

Have a great day.   Stay cool.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Good Morning and thank you for all the info provided by the Fleet Report & Daily. 

I believe the quote means that we all have choices and that all our choices have consequences.  BTW, the attribution of this quote to Wilde is probably a mistake.  In 1927 Unitarian minister Charles Francis Potter said, “What you read when you don’t have to, determines what you will be when you can’t help it,” he was speaking about the importance of libraries. He felt libraries must be for the people and they must be accessible; he believed as much should be spent for the libraries as is for the streets.

Positive thoughts to all who are struggling and those suffering from the consequences of extreme heat and hurricanes.  Cheers for those celebrating.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 4

Good morning. It is warm and humid with air quality alerts and heat advisories galore. The dogs are stretched out in the path of the living room AC and sleeping. Neither has come over to me to indicate a need for a morning walk. We were out at five am and that seemed to be okay.

I always loved freezer pops  and keep them all year round. Math was  never a strength but I wonder about  2.0. I have not been  to Hong  Kong.

i was happy to read that our Texas Dailyites will not have a direct hit from Beryl. It it a nasty storm and will even bring us rain here later in the week.

@marshhawk, Annie, I was sorry to read about your dad when you were growing up. We had similar situations with the three of us and it really landed on my oldest brother. I am seventy years old and still startle with people yelling and that “fight or flight”  reaction is still automatic. Therapy helps but …..Anyway, I hope the CT scan goes well today. Try to stay cool.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today's FR&D.

It is currently sunny and 68°F here at 12.57pm.

I will pass on today's food and drink.

This morning I had a bacon bap for  breakfast at the beach after dropping Pauline off at work.

The sea was so calm.

Prayers 🙏 for all who are unwell.

I hope y'all have a happy day.

IMG_20240708_075040.jpg

IMG_20240708_081820.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5