The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday July 10th, 2024

33 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Good Morning and thank you for the FR & D.

Global Energy Independence Day promotes awareness for alternative forms of energy. The day offers opportunities to learn more about renewable forms of energy, such as solar, wind, and geothermal.  Fossil fuels such as oil, coal, and gas will eventually run out. They also cause air and water pollution, land degradation, and global warming. These problems are motivating scientists to discover newer forms of energy that can be replenished. 

I had my students write a Clerihew to illustrate they understood the poets we were studying.  Here’s one written by the originator, Edmund Clerihew BentleyIMG_0646.jpeg.945beb1f56110be8dc4f66c9375aca96.jpeg

Will someone write one for us today?

Four line poem

Rhyme scheme: aabb.

First line is a person's full name.

The final three lines sum up the person named in the first line in a humorous way.

Positive thoughts for those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating.

You asked for it, hear it goes!

RedneckBob

Used to be a Hearthrob

With more than a female dozen

Until he found out it was all his first cousins!

• Like 9
  • Haha 27

8 minutes ago, kazu said:

thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich and thanks to the F & B team.

Just a quick post as I am feeling somewhat overwhelmed.  The house is listed.  No sign on the lawn as I have a lot of stuff to do to get it ready to show to a family next week.  if they give a good enough offer (assuming they want it) then no sign will appear at all.  Otherwise, I have to get the home show worthy.

They have a different real estate strategy than the last time I sold a house.  they like to list it below market price as people are bidding and know they need to bid.  Apparently this house has enough features to appeal despite being a 2 storey.

And to add to my day, the hospital called with a surgery date for next Thursday.  I have to be at day surgery for 6:30 AM.  That means Ivan has to be cared for as it’s way too early to take care of him that morning and it’s 2 days after his surgery.  Sheesh.

Oh well, it is what it is.  I better get moving and pitter patter - have to get at ‘er.  Prayers for all who need them 🙏 

Gosh, Jacqui I'm so sorry all of these things are happening at the very same time.  With Ivan's surgery just before yours I can see where you would be concerned about care for him.  Good luck getting the assistance you need, and I hope things go well for both of you during your procedures.  Quick healing and relief from your pain!  Get someone to help you do what needs doing on the house before next Tuesday and Thursday.  Prayers for all the best for you! 🙏

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Graham, I like your style! When you go out to eat y’all don’t hold back. Looks delicious. I have been on a strict diet the past five months dropping +35 pounds. I hope I did not gain weight just looking at your pictures! 😀

Thank you Bob.

Well done with your diet.

• Like 18

Posted (edited)

@kazu  great news on your home being on the market.  Prayers for a good offer and the process goes quickly.  Prayers you can find a petsitter for Ivan the day of your upcoming surgery.  

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!

It is a rainy day here in mid-Michigan.  It has been raining all night and is forecast to continue until 11 pm tonight.  I doubt that Rita will make it to the dog park today.  Probably no walks either.  

@kazu  I am glad you have a surgery date and that it is so soon.  Hopefully that will alleviate your pain.  Your realtor is using the same strategy that mine used in 2022 and it does seem to work well.  Listing lower engenders a lot of interest in the house.  I had a ton of viewings and ended up with multiple offers and sold for $15,000 over asking price within four days of listing it.  The people who owned my current house didn't listen to their realtor and listed way too high and the house, during one of the hottest sellers' markets, sat for months.  We got it for far less than the original asking price.  

The drink today sounds interesting.  @ger_77 Gerry, we'll surely have to try this one!  Or maybe @Sharon in AZ Sharon and I will in a few weeks on the Zuiderdam.  

I've had Dill Pickle Pasta Salad as my niece makes it all the time for family gatherings.  It is pretty good.  It is pretty easy to throw together as well.  Dill Pickle Pasta Salad

dillpicklepasta1.png.18132f00e3e21937e4ce5a470868d157.png

This one adds in cheddar cheese in place of the celery and bell pepper.  Dill Pickle Pasta Salad 2

dillpicklepasta2.thumb.jpg.cae54eb96f650dc2f6b7c2c721d10b63.jpg

This one uses pickled onions and shredded carrots.  

Dill Pickle Pasta Salad 3

dillpicklepasta3.thumb.jpg.4837df26112b70af7a924de5e532431a.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 18

16 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Bob.

Well done with your diet.

Thanks Graham. I am just ten pounds away from fitting into the suit I wore at my wedding +40 years ago!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Oops, no cardiology today.  I have a consult with a cardiac surgeon later this month and my followup with my regular cardiologist is pushed back to August.

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 12

33 minutes ago, kazu said:

thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich and thanks to the F & B team.

Just a quick post as I am feeling somewhat overwhelmed.  The house is listed.  No sign on the lawn as I have a lot of stuff to do to get it ready to show to a family next week.  if they give a good enough offer (assuming they want it) then no sign will appear at all.  Otherwise, I have to get the home show worthy.

They have a different real estate strategy than the last time I sold a house.  they like to list it below market price as people are bidding and know they need to bid.  Apparently this house has enough features to appeal despite being a 2 storey.

And to add to my day, the hospital called with a surgery date for next Thursday.  I have to be at day surgery for 6:30 AM.  That means Ivan has to be cared for as it’s way too early to take care of him that morning and it’s 2 days after his surgery.  Sheesh.

Oh well, it is what it is.  I better get moving and pitter patter - have to get at ‘er.  Prayers for all who need them 🙏 

When we sold my father’s house last spring, our real estate agent offered to pay for a cleaning and staging crew to come in to save us time and energy. Please see if yours will do that. It would be kinder on your body. We were lucky as my niece (48) was with us during the time we had to get the house ready and she did a great job for us.  And yes, based on the listing price, the agent created a bidding war. We had 5 bids each one higher than the first. I don’t like the new process but it did work for us. 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

48 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

You asked for it, hear it goes!

RedneckBob

Used to be a Hearthrob

With more than a female dozen

Until he found out it was all his first cousins!

Please! Go for your walk in the mall.😊

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 17

@kazu - Even paying for staging (or partial staging) yourself can be worthwhile if this first showing doesn't produce a satisfactory sale.  We have sold three residences that we staged in the last few years (Mother's condo, Sister's condo and our last home four years ago) and the staged properties all sold in less than a week. So much faster than the two homes that we did not stage. Look at the cost of staging and compare it to the holding costs for a home that sits on the market for a few months.  Good luck with your sale. 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Dailyites for the laughter and all the Reports!!!  What fun we have here!!!

I'd never heard of Clerihew Poetry...  now I know! 

I promise I won't step on a bee...  but if I do, I'll have shoes on!  I always wear some arch support!  Maybe it pays to grow old... 

And Energy Independence...  Yes, please.  I'd like a HUGE serving of energy!  I love being independent...  and would appreciate lots of energy to do that!  (Again, no fun growing older!) <wink, wink>

I guess with me growing older...  I'd disagree with Mr. Cahan!  MY life really isn't shorter than I expected!!  Now, I know I miss others...  theirs were too short!

Love Dill Pickles -- and the recipes look interesting!

the DOD is perfect!  I drink 4 shots of espresso each morning.  I love making that at home!  Then I add ice and a splash of milk and it's an espresso latte or sorts!  River was wonderful and surprised me with an espresso machine that even grinds the beans!

• Like 28

Good morning friends. A little later start this morning and currently watching radar as to when I may get a walk in. The pedicures were great. Today will schedule a haircut then I should be good to go.

Upon our return from St. George I will be busy with medical appointments before flying to Pennsylvania to visit son and family around the first of August. End of August a trip to East Jordan, Michigan to Susan’s sister’s. Then in September off to Kauai for three weeks at our time share on Poipu Beach. After that we will be home for a while as it appears Susan will have a knee replacement in October. Busy but mostly enjoyable times.

@RedneckBobCongratulations on your weight loss. It definitely is not an easy nor enjoyable accomplishment.

Looks like a small window of opportunity for getting a walk in. Have a great day and thanks for all of your daily postings. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.8782baaba64b539ea07ce73379a9dec7.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 15

Good morning all.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  It’s going to be 86 with some rain today.  Good because we need it. 

Three interesting days, I’ll definitely avoid stepping on a bee for sure.  

The quote is a little sad but true.

I’ve bookmarked the second recipe that @dfish has so generously supplied, it sounds very tasty.  I’d give the drink a go.

I haven’t been to today’s port. 

I think that the advice that @kazu’s agent has given her is very sound in this market.  It’s what our broker advised us to do and it sold for $80K over the asking price.  Other units in our building that have set higher prices remain unsold.

Prayers for those on our prayer list today.  Cheers to those of us who are celebrating happy events!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, arzz said:

@kazu - Even paying for staging (or partial staging) yourself can be worthwhile if this first showing doesn't produce a satisfactory sale.  We have sold three residences that we staged in the last few years (Mother's condo, Sister's condo and our last home four years ago) and the staged properties all sold in less than a week. So much faster than the two homes that we did not stage. Look at the cost of staging and compare it to the holding costs for a home that sits on the market for a few months.  Good luck with your sale. 

Thanks.  If these people don’t want to buy it, the house will indeed be  staged.  Nothing will go into storage as all the furniture isn’t going with me.

I just need to figure out what I am keeping - that’s the challenge - both in furniture, memorabilia, etc.  The realtors have guys they will refer me to who can help but this decluttering is my job sinc I haven’t made a decision on some things in Jose’s office despite all the hard work.  I guess it’s decision time.  at least I can sit for most of that.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Good morning Dailyites!

72 this morning moving on to 96 today. Upper 90's all week. Blah!!

@kazu I'll be rooting for you on the quick sale of your home! We have 3 homes in our neighborhood now that have sat for months. The prices are set so high. Only 1 was reduced in price in the last month. We have so much building going on in Sun City, I think people would rather build new with their own ideas in mind.

@ger_77 @Sharon in AZ and @dfish by the time you set sail, you will have a grocery list of drinks to be trying! (I'm a little jealous)

@rafinmd Roy, still praying for a good visit at your next appointment, even if its a few weeks away.

Thinking of each of you who are on the prayer list. TANA: Eat!! ♥️

We did a little shopping yesterday and went to our favorite fish place. Our waiter talked me into the salmon. Why oh why do I do this? I don't like salmon! Allen was very sweet sharing his fried catfish with me. Lesson learned;)

I asked on another thread sailing on Eurodam to say hello to our favorite crew member. I got a response back. Hoping they can stop and give him our best wishes. A few post pictures from the 28day Westerdam sailing shows pictures of crew we have sailed with before. I'm so excited!! 

Debbie, thank you for the DOTD. I do not like dill pickles. I put them on the same list as salmon..

Well, I guess it's time to get outside and pull/spray some weeds before the temperature rises. 

I really pray, wish, hope.. that these horrible wars end soon. Prayers for the innocents (the children's hospital atrocity) our soldier's. The people looking over the rubble of what once used to be their homes. 

Blessings. 

Joy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

What a great day this is bound to be. Love to try the recipe, wine, and I sort of like the quote. A dose of reality.

My husband is a poet so I started off his day with the info about the poet. He is now writing one. Special prayers for my friend Leesa, making decisions as she learns more about her breast cancer. Seems there are many choices to be made.We live in a city with an aggressive research center focusing on that particular cancer. Prayers for all on the Daily needing them, and safe travels for those on a BHB, and all who are dealing with life’s issues, Hats off to Redneck Bob! Keep it up. Looking forward to the pictures!😁  

Special prayers for Kazu, Ivan and all the Dailyites. Thank you for the many chuckles each day.

I wishI could report that it will be a rainy day here. Not so hot today in north Alabama, only about 90 for a high, but building to 100 over the next few days.

Now I am off to gather ingredients and try that Dill Pickle Pasta Salad.

We will get Max, our 9 yr old rescue chihuahua to the vet today with breathing issues. 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I hadn't heard of Clearihew poetry, haven't stepped on a bee, and would love to be energy independent.  We were in Sihanoukville on our SE Asian cruise - that's where at one of the dockside kiosks, DH was surprised by a fellow wearing a "Security" uniform who put a huge camera lens in his face, took his picture, then quickly walked away.  Very strange; it still bothers DH today as to why it happened.

Another clear, sunny day out there for us where we're starting at 18C (64) and expecting a high of 32(89); all my weather apps are showing heat warnings, which to some of you is just normal, but for us on the "frozen tundra" it's hot.  I was out working in the yard yesterday and my skin was leaking - something it usually only does in the Caribbean!

@kazugood grief, it never rains, but it pours for you!  I wish I lived nearby so I could help you out with all you have to do.  Hopefully your house sells quickly, that your surgery goes well, and you are able to find someone to care for Ivan - not necessarily in that order, but you know what I mean.  Sending you supportive hugs.

@Mr. Bostongood luck as you unpack all your boxes, and I hope your furniture arrives in a timely manner so you're not waiting around all day.

I spent some time yesterday putting together cutlery pouches for Summerfest, while DH was downstairs working on the name tags and bead holders for them.  Every year we provide mardi gras beads with clips on them and DH makes very artistic cards for people to write their names on, as we have lots of people who don't know one another and it's nice to know who you're talking to.  At this point we've got 74 confirmed coming, and I still haven't heard from about a dozen others.

I've already written down today's drink suggestion, but will give a pass on the wine.  Last year 2 people brought dill pickle pasta salads to Summerfest and they were the first ones to be cleaned out!  I have to pick up a couple of things from the grocery store, so will pick up a rotisserie chicken and we'll have chicken sandwiches and crudites in the pergola tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in pain, in grief, and in turmoil in their lives, and especially for the innocents in wars.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing! ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Good morning. I like the recipe today and will try the first one for dinner tonight. Thank you to Debbie @dfish as always. Although I enjoy poetry the poetry of others I am not  skilled in writing one myself. Alternative energy forms are necessary and should be championed . I have not been to Cambodia.

We spent an interesting day here. I have been in recovery a long time and so has Tana. Of course, she has not been able to physically attend AA meetings but still keeps in touch with her sponsor. She only occasionally is able to get out of bed to the WC these days and any activity induces more respiratory difficulties. She always makes an effort to do more but physically she is requiring our help for transfers, etc. Her sponsor is well meaning but rather rigid in her thinking. Tana opted to try the edibles at the lowest dose.Frankly, she is at the stage in her struggle where one should not worry about  doing this but I kept my opinions to myself. The local dispensary was a hoot for this old lady who grew up in the late sixties. There were more older people there but considering it was noon on a Tuesday….I hope it helps. 
I often find one of the hardest things in life is to keep my mouth shut when necessary and was proud of myself. I only chimed in when my opinions were sought.

@kazu, Everything is happening at once and it has to be so stressful. I am glad you have a surgery date and hope you can get some help for showing your home.

@Denise T, I am sorry that you had to move your office. I worked from home the last dozen years as a PT. It was my second job as my DH retired suddenly due to medical problems. My trusty cocker spaniel Livie became the best therapy dog with my patients and added so much to all our lives. Fancy sounds like such a special dog and I hope the adjustment can be made,

Storms will be with us for a few days. Stay safe everyone 

Edited by smitty34877
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann and Dixie and Graham for the FR&D.  I’ll celebrate all of today’s although I had never heard of Edmund Clerihew Bentley..    Special prayers for Jacaui, Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, Bonnie and Tana.

I do largely identify with the Cahan quote.

I have been to Sihanoqueville just once, Zaandam in 2012.  It’s my only port in Cambodia although I did get to Angkor Wat on a land interval between cruises in 2013.

A great day in the quest for equality.

I’ll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Fruit Ceviche, Garden Bounty, and Whole Wheat Pasta Primavera as served on MS Rotterdam July 15, 2011..   

Today is due to be the worst of the current heat wave.  I have done my walk and will do the usual afternoon errands, including another session with the new VFD Treasurer.

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good morning from another sunny day in central Texas.  It is 77F and feels like 77F with no wind.  The humidity is 88% with a dew point of 73F.  The predicted high is 95F, but I think we'll be warmer than that, especially since we were warmer yesterday than the predicted high.  Not much on the agenda today except staying cool this afternoon.

Clerihew Day and the Clerihew poetry was new to me, and I'll not attempt to write a poem.  I hope I don't step on a bee, and I've only been stung once.  I did step on a yellow jacket once and when he stung me, I moved my feet, and he stung the other foot.  Energy independence is probably not 100% achievable, but using alternative energy sources is good since fossil fuel supplies are limited.

I don't like or agree with the Abraham Cahan quote in general.  Sadly life is too short for some people.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  It looks like we'll be passing on the wine since it's hard to find.

We were in Sihanoukville in 2002 on the Volendam 64-day APEC cruise.

Good for the Episcopal Church approving a rite to bless gay marriages in 2012.  They were also the first church to have an openly gay bishop.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I hope Ren and the team do well in the tournament in Mexico city.  I'm sorry your twin will have to have shoulder replacement surgery sooner than expected.  I hope the weather improves and you can go ashore today in Nuuk.

@grapau27  Graham, thanks for the information on Clerihew Day.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I'm glad the fish are beginning to bite.  I hope you catch some big ones soon.

@RedneckBob  RMB, congratulations on the weight loss.  That's a hard thing to do, and I hope keeping it off is not too hard.  Loved the poem.

@marshhawk  Annie, good luck with the kittens at the vet.  I hope the tree doesn't cause any more problems.  Loved your Clerihew poem.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope the couple next week loves your house and makes a great offer.  Glad you have a surgery date, and I hope it and Ivan's surgery both go well.  I don't think the realtors here use the lower asking price to start a bidding war strategy here.  The houses in our community seem over priced to us.  One house, despite lowering the price, has been on the market for more than a year.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm glad Tana decided to try the edibles.  I agree with your thoughts about what will work at this stage for her.

449690707_1036463408480727_6579710883711350519_n.jpg.82144b262a7cc6af5ca2ef85e17db39d.jpg

449832235_18442197385016964_5308367690209828726_n.jpg.6543294b718ac250c140c9f36fda818a.jpg

450093785_122172527060088946_5654345922653715789_n.jpg.57ed3147de7552d31ef1bc0d267ceb86.jpg

450300986_384196504768786_5376793715124586177_n.jpg.7cbb5d9484fe531b6731754dfaa533e5.jpg

450313091_877205874444135_5281755747339607883_n.jpg.a8f8ae2a7407aced7836686ef49bb756.jpg

450342253_122186986040032823_4559723784197875019_n.jpg.7fb6a9b1002b7f25fb291e43bb6dc932.jpg

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 11