The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday July 12th, 2024

@marshhawk Sorry for what you are going through with the medical industrial complex.  I think they sometimes forget that they are impacting people and don't think of what will serve the patient best.  Relax, take a deep breath, and know you are among friends here that you can freely vent to.  

• Like 20

@SusieKIslandGirl, How exciting! The Cape is a lovely place with much to see and do. It has everything from bike trails to incredible beaches and each Cape town is special. We have stayed twice in Orleans in recent years and found that  a great location. West Yarmouth  has beaches on Cape Cod Bay and Nantucket Sound but for waves one must go to the National Seashore. It gets very crowded everywhere and we all know how drivers everywhere seem to have lost any patience they once possessed! The ferry for Nantucket is  very expensive and it takes three hours to get there. Martha’s Vineyeard is closer but pricey as well. I enjoy Provincetown and whale watching trips but honestly have always enjoyed any time on the Cape. It is great in September as it is still warm but less crowded.

I always mentally prepare myself for terrible traffic getting there and leaving.It is just a given. And the food is usually very good with absolutely fresh fish.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

He's back; let the counting begin, lol. I did respond this time, but think it's appropriate so as to not get me kicked off CC.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3018184-follow-up-to-horrible-cruise-with-hal/?do=findComment&comment=67636167

Yup sure is.....I posted as well and trust me it took a LOT of restraint.  It helped that I had not had my coffee.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Totally off the cruising subject but....do any of you on the East Coast have suggestions for the best things to do next July? We will be in West Yarmouth for a week with DS & DDIL. We plan on a visit to Nantucket (wow-I won't complain about Washington State Ferry prices anymore-or at least for a while) but beyond that, who knows. Thanks!

Born and raised on south shore of Massachusetts.

Bring a BIG FAT WALLET, if you have time I would highly recommend visiting Plymouth as well and possibly going on a whale watching tour, it is fabulous.

Also eat lots of seafood it is the BEST!

As others have said prepare yourself for major major traffic.  I mean stop and go traffic.  We would avoid Cape Cod in the summer and visit in the spring and fall for just the traffic issues.

You will have a great time.

Remember Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard home of the rich and famous.  Truthfully plenty to see and do on the mainland...a trip to P-Town is eye opening!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, WannaSea said:

@sailingdutchy Tony, as an experiment I right-clicked on your Greenlandic sign and there was an option to "Search image in google", which opened it in Google Lens and gave this result:

"Iserlutit X-tramiit qinigassaatigut
ANNERTUUT alakkakkit
Come in and see our LARGE selection of X-tra products"

I love it when technology works! I appreciate your insightful port reports, always fun to follow along.

Thanks for sharing the tip - it is my new favorite feature!

• Like 12

Good humid evening, we never got the rain that was expected all day . The New Jersey shore was hit with more than 5i inches and power outages. Cape May was hit with a lightning strike at its city hall that knocked out the communication channels for all services including fire, police, ems and public works. Fortunately, there were no injuries.

@kazu, Jacqui, I hope Ivan enjoyed his special day with plenty of treats and hugs and kisses.

@marshhawk, Annie , I thought of you at Chik fil a for dinner tonight. I hope tomorrow is a better day. 

Have a peaceful evening everyone.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, WannaSea said:

@sailingdutchy Tony, as an experiment I right-clicked on your Greenlandic sign and there was an option to "Search image in google", which opened it in Google Lens and gave this result:

"Iserlutit X-tramiit qinigassaatigut
ANNERTUUT alakkakkit
Come in and see our LARGE selection of X-tra products"

I love it when technology works! I appreciate your insightful port reports, always fun to follow along.

Thank you very much for doing that @WannaSea I have always wondered .

• Like 9

Oh Annie, I’m sorry!  You’ve had a lot to absorb and no closer to resolution. I’m impressed at how you’re holding it together. Hugs from New Jersey!  m—

@bennybear and @Quartzsite Cruiser thanks for your concern. We’re both better today. DH isn’t sleeping well, everything is off kilter but that will eventually work out. Between the Benadryl and the cream I think we got on top of this episode… just wish I understood more. But today is today and we’re good! DH’s ear thing went better too. I got to mindfulness class and did hip exercises in the pool… it was a good day!  

• Like 18

Thanks for the Cape Cod suggestions. We've been there many years ago and went to Martha's Vineyard. We're using up some points from our vacation club so this was one of the places available during DS's vacation. I will definitely tell DS to pack his patience since he will probably be the driver.

• Like 12

@SusieKIslandGirlREmind me about Cape Cod tomorrow....

When I got back to the hospital, and yes they called me again to be there at 4, and called again right before 4 when i was driving. I am not hands free, I'm on a phone all day, and hate having one with me, but I was there, about to pull in, and she said he was ready, and I said so I dpnt have to pay to park again?  Well, we cant let him get up for another hour, she said but he was ready.  Of course he was ready.  He wanted a smoke and food...any way long story short, I apologized for yelling at her, and she in turn gave me the 5 dollars to park again. I was surprised at the generosity of the nurse, and I started crying.  She said she figured out that I was his caregiver, and that the time to myself that I needed was the only time I had by myself. He was moaning so loudly when I got there I could hear him down the hospital hall, and yes recently that is mostly what I hear.  

Yes, they did do surgery, but they could not clear the stent from build up, so now it's bypass surgery in his leg.  He will be in the hospital for several days. With several months of getting over it. at least that is what the doc said when we met with him.  Our follow up visit in on the 31st.  He thought when we left that he was done, no one told him what the outcome was.  So I asked him what the good part of the day was, and he said getting out of there, and I said do you know what the bad part is, and he said no, and I told him he was going to have the bypass surgery.

He is now down to 154.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 17

Annie @marshhawk, sending hugs and prayers to you and Chuck both.  It was quite a disappointment to you both not having the pain relieving stent put in place. I hope things move along a little faster so you can get back to living more comfortably.🙏

Jacqui @kazu I've been enjoying all the doggie wishes to Ivan on his 10th birthday.  So here's Milo and Sadie from Ohio wishing him a happy belated birthday this morning.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Hogladyrider said:

Born and raised on south shore of Massachusetts.

Bring a BIG FAT WALLET, if you have time I would highly recommend visiting Plymouth as well and possibly going on a whale watching tour, it is fabulous.

Also eat lots of seafood it is the BEST!

As others have said prepare yourself for major major traffic.  I mean stop and go traffic.  We would avoid Cape Cod in the summer and visit in the spring and fall for just the traffic issues.

So what type of traffic would one expect in the third week of August from Boston to Plymouth?  
We’re planning a day trip prior to our cruise and it’s been suggested to take the train to Brockton, then Uber. I’m thinking of renting a car for the day, if we can pick one up early enough.

• Like 4

@kazu Big dog was feeing camera shy 🤭 😳 but his sister wanted to be sure she sent Ivan birthday wishes herself. I told her I had already wished him a happy birthday but she insisted she had to say it herself, so Happy Birthday, Ivan from Athena.

20240712_193151.thumb.jpg.0ee47d08eedc48f68f8a9601aac02421.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Good morning all,

We have cloud cover and are supposed to get to 85 today. Have lots to do in the next weeks: 2 conventions, a family gathering of 30 for my cousin’s 90th (his daughters are hosting it at our house), several appointments and then our cruise.😳 So today’s normal house cleaning will begin the really deep cleaning along with power wash outside.

I’m interested in today’s meal. We had the Mediterranean chicken patties from the Daily a few months ago last night and for whatever reason they split apart on the panini grill and half adhered to each side. After scraping them off they resembled scrambled eggs. 😏 So perhaps chicken isn’t as suited to the two sided grill as beef???

Well, yesterday I installed the tool hangers in our shed, and declared it done. It was a long project, started in February and delayed severely by all the rain we had. I was ready for it to be done a month ago. Now we can clean up the mess in the garage and get on with it. I’m glad I got the chance to build it (we needed a size that wasn’t available in a pre-made or kit) and glad it’s done.)

Have a great day everyone!

IMG_4388.jpeg

IMG_4390.jpeg

You could try spritzing olive oil spray on both sides of the press before putting the patties on. This also works well in an air fryer. My Aldi actually sells spray cans of olive oil. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

So what type of traffic would one expect in the third week of August from Boston to Plymouth?  
We’re planning a day trip prior to our cruise and it’s been suggested to take the train to Brockton, then Uber. I’m thinking of renting a car for the day, if we can pick one up early enough.

Friday - Sunday will be bad. Weekdays in the Summer - once near & on the Cape will be bad.

But Uber to the Cape from Brockton? I can’t image the cost. I would try to compare the cost of renting a car vs Uber. I confess, I would be stunned if Uber was cheaper. 

I used to spend the first two weeks in September in Wellfleet (lower Cape). Once Labor Day weekend was over, it was an entirely different world. And if you make it to P’town (Provincetown) look to see if there is still a Portuguese bakery near the center of town. If there is, you just might want to pop in. 

Gee, there used to be a ferry from Boston over to Provincetown. You could see if that still operates. That might be a fun way to get there. You might be a bit limited in the area you visit, but that is a fun place to walk around. And you would not encounter any of the horrific traffic. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1