The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday July 21st, 2024

Today is Lowest Recorded Temperature Day (-128.6F Antarctic), National Be Someone Day, and No Pet Store Puppies Day

To live is to change, and to be perfect is to have changed often. - John Henry Newman

Meal Suggestion for today - Beet & Red Cabbage Borscht with Dill & Mint Yogurt Cream
Drink of the Day - Brandy Old Fashioned
Wine of the Day - Duckhorn 2019 Monitor Ledge Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa Valley)
Destination of the Day - Easo, Lifou, New Caledonia

Today in History:
1925 John T. Scopes found guilty of teaching evolution in the 'Scopes monkey trial'in Dayton, Tennessee, fined $100 and costs

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 07-22

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska Juneau, Alaska eta 07-22

Nieuw Amsterdam

Whittier, Alaska 01:00 - 19:30

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Eidfjord, Norway eta 07-22

Noordam

Vancouver, Canada 0700-1600

Oosterdam

Rades, Tunisa

Rotterdam

Mandal, Norway

Volendam

Portland ME, Maine 08:00 - 16:00

Westerdam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 15:00

Zaandam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0700-1600

Zuiderdam

Bar Harbor, Maine 08:00 - 18:00

0721World.thumb.png.fbe5ebb349d910b08095afffd1eeec60.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 27

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

It's 77 this AM heading up to 95 with of course PM showers.

Good selection of days and I like the quote.

I’ll pass on the meal.

I like an Old Fashioned once in a while but I’ve never had one with brandy.

Billy Horschel has a one shot lead heading to the final round of the British Open, I like Herschel but Scottie Scheffler is only 2 shots behind and I have to go with him to win the Claret Jug.

Have a great day a stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 3

A cocktail, by definition, includes a spirit, sugar, water and bitters—and those four ingredients are exactly what you’ll find in an Old Fashioned. It’s as classic as drinks get. Most Old Fashioneds are made with whiskey, but considering the Old Fashioned is more of a template than an exact recipe, today you will find the drink made with numerous spirits, from tequila to rum. But one variation is equally notable for its prescribed spirit and its geographical roots.
The Brandy Old Fashioned, aka the Wisconsin Old Fashioned, is practically the state’s official drink. In addition to brandy, it calls for muddled fruit and a topper of lemon-lime soda. So, it’s not your great-great-grandfather’s Old Fashioned. Well, unless he’s from Wisconsin.
Doctoring drinks with muddled fruit was a popular ploy during Prohibition that was used to mask the taste of subpar spirits. Add enough fruit and sugar to a cocktail, and anything is bound to become palatable. In the case of the Old Fashioned, the trick stuck around and remained popular in Wisconsin, even in the 21st century as modern bartenders reclaimed the classic no-fruit recipe. As for the brandy, it’s a product of the many Wisconsinites who emigrated from Europe over the centuries, bringing a taste for brandy with them.
Today, the Brandy Old Fashioned is tied to Wisconsin more than any other locale, and the fruit and soda are nonnegotiable. Visit a bar in the Badger State, and this sweet, bubbly version will be placed before you. It may not be the Old Fashioned you’re used to, but it’s an important piece of cocktail history all the same.
Ingredients:
1 dashes Angostura bitters
2 orange slices
2 brandied or maraschino cherries
1 sugar cube
2 oz. brandy
7 UP, Sprite, or club soda, chilled to top
Garnish: brandied or marchino cherry
Garnish: orange slice
Directions:
Add the bitters, orange slices, cherries and sugar cube to an Old Fashioned glass and muddle to combine.
Add ice to fill the glass, then add the brandy.Top with the 7UP, Sprite or club soda, and stir to chill.Garnish with a skewered cherry and an orange slice.

Screenshot 2024-07-21 at 6.34.16 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 18

Good morning friends!  I wasn’t at all sleepy last night so we drove all night. We had stopped at a hotel and it was full so we just decided to go further. I actually drove a majority of the late night hours. DH was pretty tired from battling the incessant jams yesterday so he rested. We’re switching drivers now for the final 150 miles. 

As for the port today I don’t have my notes for today on me. They’re in DH’s laptop sleeve buried in a suitcase. It’s possible it’s new or maybe not. I haven’t been there before. If Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser can find some links I’m sure she can post them for you. I’ll check in again later today. Have a great Sunday!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 11

2 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  I wasn’t at all sleepy last night so we drove all night. We had stopped at a hotel and it was full so we just decided to go further. I actually drove a majority of the late night hours. DH was pretty tired from battling the incessant jams yesterday so he rested. We’re switching drivers now for the final 150 miles. 

As for the port today I don’t have my notes for today on me. They’re in DH’s laptop sleeve buried in a suitcase. It’s possible it’s new or maybe not. I haven’t been there before. If Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser can find some links I’m sure she can post them for you. I’ll check in again later today. Have a great Sunday!

I expect you'll want to sleep a lot once you get home and may not have a lot of time for Cruise Critic.  Do get some rest.

Roy

• Like 31

Happy today to all Dailyites!!!  Thank you to the authors and contributors!!

On a bright, summer day it's GREAT to think about the lowest recorded temperature!!  The lowest I've felt was in Idaho and it was wind chill of -34F.  That was too cold to breathe without a muffler wrapped around my neck and mouth and too cold to walk in more than across campus to my next class!

I think I will be someone today -- I'll be ME!!  Altho' my child will be going to a Comic Con and they we be someone in Coplay!  I don't mind Pet Store puppies...  I mind Puppy-mill puppies.  I know adopting from already born puppies is BEST -- but River also has a wonderful Corgi breeder we have adopted our babies from.  We've had two Corgis and four rescued babies in their 36 year lifetime!!

(P.S. I think this day is for us to Be Someone Special is Someone Else's life and make a difference.  So, I love that!)

My prayers are for all Dailyites who have been listed and also those with unmentioned needs!!

I hope and pray your day is filled with wonderful things and people!!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! A lovely morning. Bindi & I encountered a lot of critters on this morning’s walk. 

Vanessa, thank you for helping us all stay on top of what is happening!

Gym, Aldi, Bindi walks, lots of chores to catch up on. Might find time to hop in the pool, if the T-storms come later in the day. 

IMG_3177.jpeg.8d37e872e5cde350f5224d64562dc5ba.jpeg

IMG_3182.jpeg.b49ee2b10f9daeb0d4105cff5e226de1.jpeg

IMG_3082.jpeg.76da56c0a9a8ba61e4e72e505411ce08.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. 

Tana, praying that you have a great day, and get hungry!

Chuck, praying that you have a pain free day, and find something to whet your appetite. 
Jacqui, hope you can already see an improvement. 

Prayers for all our caregivers. And their supporters. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile. 

Duckhorn 2019 Monitor Ledge Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa Valley)

This California vintner is world renowned, and this wine adds to their reputation. Although it appears easy to find, at least a few online sites are sold out. It is outside of my budget anyway. Online prices start at $105.00.

96 Wine Enthusiast - #1 Wine of the year!

With a crème de cassis flavor and a velvety texture that soothes the palate, this rich and indulgent wine is easy to love. The charming black fruits, baking spices and cassis notes are well matched by rounded tannins. Best through 2033.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily and maps Rich.  Be someone day is a good day, be yourself.  No puppy mill puppies.   Many times my old Petco brought in pound puppies and kittens for adoption.Good quote by Newman.  Pass on the soup, @summa@summer slopethanks for the history of the old fashioned, I'll pass on the cocktail.  I would like the Duckhorn Cab.  We are stopping in New Caledonia in 2026 so I look forward to the photos though it might not be the same port.  

Apologies to summa.  I am permanently on my phone for the duration.  If I don't immediately backspace a blue bubble I can't erase it. 

@StLouisCruisers glad you are nearing home.  Get some rest, don't start unpacking. Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.  Prayers for Tana, Terry, Chuck, Annie, Terri, Bonnie, Jacqui and all battling COVID.  Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the Innocents in Gaza. 

The laptop restart failed.  The moment that I plugged in the keyboard backlight and start button came on, I pushed start and it wouldn't open.  John took the battery out for a hard shutdown and as soon as I started it nothing happened.  I shut it down and stowed it. Hopefully computer repair can get it to open, it is definitely a software problem because I had Blue Screens pop up several times in the last month.  We are enjoying the Open from Troon, it looks really chilly there. Have a good day! Nancy 

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, everyone!

It is going to be a nice day today here in mid-Michigan.  It is 63 now with a predicted high of 81.  Possibility of light showers tonight.   Sue and I are going downtown to try the brunch at the H Hotel.  The H is some swanky place I would never pay to stay at, but their Sunday brunch is reasonable.  

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, I am glad you are almost home.  Be careful in those last 150 miles.  

@kazu Jacqui, I hope you are healing well.  

I have never had borscht and would like to try it.  The beets put me off a bit because they are high in oxalates.  Oxalates are not good for those of us prone to kidney stones.  The four highest foods are spinach, beets, rhubarb, and almonds.  I shudder when I think of putting beets on my spinach salads.  I'm surprised I didn't have more kidney stones.  Beet and Red Cabbage Borscht

beetandredcabbageborscht1.jpg.ca29c5af84bf103eed1afadda32bb99f.jpg

Food and Wine magazine has a different take on borscht and adds in some beef.  Beet and Red Cabbage Borscht with Beef

beetandredcabbageborscht3.jpeg.bb9f10b52ea2d409853a575ed85fe3b6.jpeg

And here is one that claims to be an authentic Ukranian recipe.  Traditional Ukranian Borscht

beetandredcabbageborscht4.jpg.58b58bd7ae3b0dda487d0d7bdcb021ef.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 18

Today’s Care List:

Kazu recovering from stents placed for leg/foot pain

StLouisCruisers and DH driving home from Boston after no flight available

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck unable to get stents unclogged, needs surgery

Vict0riann’s DD having Covid

Cruzin Terri’s water leak

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Superoma and DH recovering from Covid

Ottahand7’s DB Nick post re-do knee replacement, now at home

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday to Sharon in AZ’s DH Craig!

RMLincoln’s DH having some good eye pressure readings this week

Kazu’s Ivan did well with dental surgery

Aliaschief’s family vacation at St. George Island

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

6 days for Horizon Chaser 1957 (Volendam July 27 to Aug 20) 24d Canada, NE, Iceland

Lady Hudson (Liberty of the Seas to July 23) 5d Bermuda Cruise, Cunnorl (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings, St Pete Cruiser (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings and Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary

• Like 19
  • Thanks 18

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, Dixie and Graham/Father David for the FR&D   -128.6F is just too cold but I’ll celebrate the other 2 days.  Special prayers for  Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, Bonnie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list.  

I like today’s quote..

I have not been to today’s port.

A sad day in US history..

I’ll pass on the meal. , My alternative is Freshly made lido waffle with mixed berry topping from  my final meal on  MS Volendam July 21, 2018, before leaving the ship in Skagway for the land portion of my sea-land-sea Alaska adventure

Happy birthday Craig,  I do hope Jacqui is doing better today.. I will be inside today after Mall walk and church.

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Good morning and thanks to everyone who contributes to this great thread.

Warm and sunny here.  Bertie and I had a nice peaceful walk.

I guess if any place had the lowest temperature, it should be Antarctica, so I guess I can celebrate that.  Everyone is someone.  No puppy mill puppies!  Rescue a dog instead.

I like the quote, but no one is perfect.

Yes to the meal, drink and wine.

Prayers for so many.  I hope there are lots of celebrations.

Have a peaceful day.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good warm and sunny humid morning. 
Today is National Ice Cream Day. It’s always celebrated on the third Sunday in July. Years ago Turkey Hill Dairy used to have an all you can eat festival in downtown Lancaster, with the admission price going to charity. 🍧🍦
 Blessings and prayers for all on our journey.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. The humidity is back but we had a few lovely days with a breeze. It was a sad day, as Roy said, in our history in 1925. I will certainly celebrate being someone! I have not been to New Caledonia.

DD DH and I went to Florida after we were married and visited the older relatives who did not come to the wedding. His aunt made us borscht. I had never had it and really enjoyed it. Poor DH was sitting there trying to sip his soup and I could tell he just couldn’t do it. I took one for the team and had his as well. 
 @Sharon in AZ, a  very Happy Birthday to Craig!

Today we decided  to make a brunch main meal and just have sandwiches later. I made a strata with sausage and cheese that Tana likes and we have two different quiches as well. My brother is not much for cooking but helps with chopping and cleanup. The teenager works the evening shift at the restaurant so he will be with us for brunch. He is our resident expert nagger to get his other to eat. 

@StLouisCruisers, I am amazed that you have only 150 miles to go. The traffic in the summer is a nightmare from Boston to DC and vice versa. Get home safely and sleep!

Have a great day everyone.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Happy Sunday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Safe travels to all who are trying to get to their destinations. 

Well, the furniture is out of the office and in storage. Today, I need to paint some areas where the 3M tape did not do what they were supposed to do and come off the wall without damaging anything. I then need to vacuum the carpet. Then this chapter will be closed. 

It gets better. When my sister and I returned home we notices a trail of liquid on the driveway and on to the street. After parking the car, it looks like something leaked from the bottom of my car. We thought transmission or power steering. I was able to call the shop and they said bring the car right over. As I got in the care to take it over to the shop, I noticed that the carpet on the passenger side was soaked! There was nothing there that spilled, and this was a lot of water. I take it in, expecting the worse. Even started to look at buying another car. Turns out it was an oil leak due to the shop not properly sealing or closing something after my oil change last week and oil spilled out. The water was due to a clogged AC hose. They fixed these with no charge. They did find that I had a bolt in my tire. Because all of my other tires were pretty good, they said I can just replace the one. I had them do that. So, very good news. Even better news is that there are 80 days until my much-needed cruise!

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Happy Sunday! | Good morning meme, Morning cat, Funny cats

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Today is my 55th Anniversary of enlisting in the United States Coast Guard. I have many memories including the days in Basic Training where the Company Commanders would "break us" into conformity to the comradery that would form with shipmates and working as a team. It is something that I will never regret doing and still feel my oath to the Constitution does not have an expiration date.

A gangly 18-year old me.
1111191013a3.thumb.jpg.a60e04670898e5e32fa163533e782742.jpg

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 6