The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday August 9th, 2024

Today is International Coworking Day, International Day of The World's Indigenous People, and Veep Day

Surprise is the greatest gift which life can grant us. - Boris Pasternak

Meal Suggestion for today - Pasta Salad with Black Beans & Avocado Dressing
Drink of the Day - Classic Sangria
Wine of the Day - Liberty Lake Wine Cellars 2020 Scooteney Flats Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
Destination of the Day - Puerto Plata-Amber Cove, Dominicana

Today in History:
1898 Rudolf Diesel of Germany obtains patent #608,845 for his internal combustion engine, later known as the diesel engine
1930 Betty Boop Makes Her Debut
1945 US drops second atomic bomb "Fat Man" on Nagasaki, Japan, destroying part of the city

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer

Victoria, British Columbia 2000-2359

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

At Sea Destination Vancouver, Canada eta 08-10

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Whittier to Vancouver

Ketchikan, Alaska 1100-1900

Nieuw Statendam --- 21 days, round-trip Ultimate Viking Explorer

Isafjord, Iceland 0800-1700

Noordam --- 7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Whittier

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0700-1600

Oosterdam --- 21 days, one-way from Civitavecchia-Rome to Piraeus-Athens

At Sea Destination Istanbul, Turkey eta 08-10

Rotterdam --- 14 days, round-trip Britain, Scotland Ireland

At Sea Destination Douglas, Isle Of Man eta 08-10

Volendam --- 24 days, round-trip Canada, New England Iceland

Reykjavik, Iceland 1000-2300

Westerdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer

Ketchikan, Alaska 0700-1300

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska 1000-1030

Zuiderdam --- 35 days, round-trip Voyage Of The Vikings

Dublin, Ireland 0800-2200

0809Alaska.thumb.png.e2123c6a42a14fb56e47abcc0a9405a4.png

0809Atlantic.thumb.png.9665c6a71e00e2e55e61b4b53ba36c10.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 27

Good morning friends!  Another very warm day – 74F and we expect a high of 93 with sunny skies again.  Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the ship location maps.

A widely divergent group of days to recognize, and a quote I don’t really agree with.  I enjoy a pasta salad and would probably pass on the Sangria and definitely the Cabernet Sauvignon.  This was a sobering day in 1945.  Where would the trucking industry be without diesel engines?  Yay for Betty Boop! Thanks ladies, Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard, for your food and beverage reports.

Prayers for our Care list group especially Tana and Terry, Annie and Chuck, Jacqui, Ann’s DH Pat, Joy’s DS Bonnie, Nancy’s DB, Elizabeth, Roy, Debbie and Terri.  Also for my DB, twin sister, DD, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our men and women serving in war zones. 🙏 Meanwhile, a salute to everyone cruising, preparing to cruise and celebrating your special occasions. 🚢 🎂 Thank you so much Vanessa @JazzyV for  your updated lists every day.

The port today is Puerto Plata-Amber Cove, Dominicana (Dominican Republic).  We had this port before on April 18, 2022, Jan. 3, 2023, and April 8, 2023.  I haven’t been to the Dominican Republic before.  I’ll post the links here for your convenience in retrieving your photos.

I’m making some progress now on my counted cross stitch Christmas stocking.  Finally!  I hope you all enjoy a safe, well and productive day!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 8

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.  Happy Friday!

Warm and overcast here this morning, chance of showers this afternoon.  I cut up the veggies for zucchini relish yesterday, so I'll be canning today.

Interesting days to observe today. 

I don't agree with the quote.

I'll pass on the meal but look forward to the drink and the wine.

I haven't been to today's port.

Prayers for so many.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a good day. 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning to my Dailyite friends.

It is sunny now and 66°F.

Thank you for today's daily topics.

3 important day's.

I will pass on the food.

Important history days.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Screenshot_20240809_113056.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 11

Salutations and thank you for the Daily!!

Central Texas is HOT and humid!  It's August and there will be just more of the same!!  There are a few of us, Dailyites, living in central Texas -- and I'm sure we all just live in our air-conditioned worlds, from home, to autos, to stores and restaurants, and other places with a/c...  and the occasional hike or walk outside, or maybe swim or jaunt through the sprinklers!!

Coworking...  I wonder if that means "job-sharing" or just working around and with others???

Indigenous People make the world what it is!!!  Thank you!!

And Veep Day...  I guess that would make this political and maybe I won't get anything started here...  one way or the other!  😉🤭

Not sure if Boris has this quote right -- but I understand the sentiment!  Not sure if it's surprise that's a gift...  sometimes that can be a heartache...  But, I have a reason for living that makes me smile and THAT is my greatest gift in this life!!!

I've never tried pasta salad with beans...  Maybe something new...

Sangria and Cabernet are both good choices for beverages!!

And Dominicana, Amber Cove -- yep, I did enjoy a visit here!!

No photo description available.

This was the "Heavy soup" for lunch...

Amber Cove Lambies...  they welcomed me!!

And rum...

And good bye...

• Like 25
  • Thanks 9

Today’s Care List:

Heartgrove making the hard decision to put Sam down today

Haljo1935 with knee pain and trouble walking

All in the path of Debby, with rain, flooding, high winds

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Marshhawk as caretaker for DH Chuck with physical & mental decline

Haljo1935 needing shoulder surgery and kidney stones

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Birth of Heartgrove’s (Jack’s) new granddaughter 8/5!

Dfish post nerve ablation; able to walk longer

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Luvteaching (Discovery Princess Aug 10 to Aug 17) 7d Alaska Inside passage w/Glacier Bay National Park

2 days for RMLincoln (Emerald Princess Aug 11 to Aug 28) 17d Greenland & Canada

3 days for Haljo1935 (MSC Magnifica Aug 12 to Aug 16) 4d Bahamas

MISTER 67 (MSC Seashore to Aug 11) 7d W. Caribbean, ski ww (Rotterdam to Aug 17) 14 Night Britain, Scotland & Ireland, Horizon Chaser 1957 (Volendam to Aug 20) 24d Canada, NE, Iceland, Cunnorl (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings, St Pete Cruiser (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings and Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary

• Like 18
  • Thanks 18

I have an update on refunds for the flight cancellation July 20 in Boston (Delta).  Last night we each received an email from Delta that a refund of about 80% of the price we paid for our seats was being refunded, but not to us.  We don't know what it referred to but it must be the form of payment Flight Ease used.  Lots of asterisks and ending in numbers 0015.  Not our credit card of course since we paid Holland America for our flights with our final payment.  No mention yet of reimbursement for our expenses actually getting home either.  

We have heard zero from Flight Ease or Holland America guest relations.  I guess we're supposed to go scavenging for our reimbursement.  This reminds me of 2020 when everyone waited and waited for refunds of our cancelled cruises.😒

• Like 14
  • Thanks 13

Classic Sangria:

Sangria is the great democratizer of wine. While the wine industry has long been known for a certain stodginess, with self-styled enthusiasts drawing lines in the sand over everything from serving temperatures to shapes of glassware, this fruit-based punch has always been a drink in which anything goes.

A combination of wine, fruit, and often ingredients like fresh fruit juices, liquors, liqueurs, and sweeteners, Sangria has been made as far back as the Middle Ages. Though it is thought to originate around modern-day Spain and Portugal on the Iberian Peninsula, the practice of blending fermented grapes with other ingredients to create a wine cocktail goes back to the Greeks, Romans, Phoenicians—effectively to the invention of wine itself.
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons sugar
1 orange, cut into wedges
1 apple, cored and diced
1 lemon, cut into wedges
1/2 cup brandy
1/2 cup orange juice
1 bottle dry red wine
Garnish: orange wheel
Directions:
In a large pitcher, add the sugar, orange, apple and lemon and muddle for 30 seconds.
Add the brandy and orange juice and muddle again for 30 seconds.
Add the red wine and stir.
Allow the Sangria to rest for at least two hours before serving, for flavors to fully integrate.
Serve in a red wine glass with ice, and garnish with an orange wheel.

Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 6.52.53 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 16

Good Morning!

In three short weeks I will be in Seattle to board Westerdam for the Majestic Japan Cruise. Sandi has volunteered to post the Daily while I am away.

The schedule for the ships has already been loaded, based on current itineraries but will need to be adjusted as schedules change.

The observance days are also loaded. This brings me to a request. Y'all may have noticed that some days there is a banner across the top with a significant holiday - think Christmas & Halloween. Because of search engine bias, my searches generally turn up US based answers. If some of our international readers would send me their major holidays, think Canada Day and ANZAC day, I would be happy to add them.

I have one other request. Some holidays have a traditional meal, such as Easter Ham or Corned Beef and Cabbage on St Patricks Day. This year I would like to make a special effort to include such meals. Please let me know your traditional meals for such days.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Rich richwmn at gmail or yahoo

• Like 21
  • Thanks 16

Happy Friday! Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Lots and lots of rain. At least I will not be watering the vegetable garden. Lots of work to do today with classes. Keeping me busy. Fancy on the other hand will not be happy as she hates going out in the rain. 61 days until my cruise. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

70 Funniest Friday Memes and Best TGIF Meme for the Weekend | Friday ...

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Happy Friday. 

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann and Dixie for the FR&D     Three great days to celebrate..    Special prayers for Carol  Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, Annie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list....

Not so sure about the Pasternak quoie.

I visited Amber Cove in 2017 on the Koningsdam.

Three very diverse days in history but a sad one in 1945..

I’ll pass on the meal....  My alternative is Orange and Avacado Carousel, Chilled Mango Gazpacho, and Blackened Strip Loin Steak. as served on MS Prinsendam August 9 2011..

Today we have the remnants of Debby.  I do hope to get out to PT, and then Wegmans afterwards.  Wegmans has a covered garage so it shouldn’t be too bad.  Our Urban Search and Rescue team has been cleared to head back home.

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich!  It is grossly humid out already, but the breeze is just beginning to wake up. I hope it helps. Under a heat advisory from 10 - 6 today. We had one yesterday, too - but the strong wind had already started before the sun came up. And it helped a lot. Then the evening T-storm helped. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us! 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores, and maybe some pool time. 

IMG_3270.jpeg.9449a5e66a356929a2f56f1ce2a9859e.jpeg

IMG_3267.jpeg.16147b05d0f73b724af8838de1ec9de5.jpeg

IMG_3268.jpeg.af4d9cc86292a1a2bd9c315d5af7b652.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. 

Jack, thinking of you today. 
Tana, praying you & Terry have a good day!

Chuck & Annie, praying you both have a good day!

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

Maureen - remember to breathe! This whirlwind prep will be worth it when you board that ship. 
Jack thank you for the wonderful pictures of little Poppy! She is precious. 

Happy 80th Birthday Smokey the Bear!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Liberty Lake Wine Cellars 2020 Scooteney Flats Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon

Several distributors refer to this vintner as a boutique winery. I found just a few distributors. Wine Enthusiast’s review stressed the “soft tannins” of this Columbia Valley Cab. It sounds lovely.  Online prices start at $26.99.

Critical review: SavorNW

Complex aromas draw you in with prominent notes of dark berry jam and cedar with secondary hints of black pepper, baking spice, pipe tobacco, vanilla and dried herbs. On the palate, a nice mix of black cherry and chocolate is upfront, followed by notes of bell pepper and dried herbs, finishing with earthy hint of clay dust and graphite. 

- Reviewed by Gary Hayes 

AVA: Red Mountain, Washington
SavorNW Award: Best of Class 2023
Judges Score: 95 Points

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 14
  • Haha 3

Last night's sleep was in between the previous 2 nights at 4.5 hours. Seems that's been my normal for decades. I would love 6 hours.

20240809_051934.thumb.jpg.fb9334c966ce6c08e39c8a92a03e7565.jpg

I have a call this morning w/another HR person; she was recommended by the one who called me a few days ago 🤔

I'm so ready for the allergy test tomorrow - I need to get back on the allergy meds. I popped a rib out last night when I sneezed and it hurts to breathe, sit or lay down. The air machine is helping, but I still have painful pressure around my eyes and feel it in my teeth, plus still sneezing. I'm a mess 🙄

And I need to have a day or 2 of meds in me before boarding the flight for my MSC cruise.⛴️

@StLouisCruisers would love to see your stocking again when you're able to share a picture. 

Hugs 🫂 🤗 and prayers 🙏 for you and your family today @Heartgrove as you say goodbye to Sam 💔

Safe travels @RMLincoln as you prepare to leave for your exciting birthday cruise.

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

thanks for our TGIF Daily Rich & thanks to our F & B team.

I will gladly celebrate co-workers and all Indigenous people.  The quote is true when it’s a good surprise.  Sad, unhappy or unpleasant surprises are not the greatest gift at all IMO.  I’ve been to Amber Cove and it’s not a place (I hesitate to call a made up place a port) I choose to return to.

IMG_1707.thumb.jpeg.196a34083883c8f9b293c5d93aec398a.jpeg

How dare everyone take a vacation this week when I am trying to contact them regarding moving and other involved stuff 😂 The joys of trying to plan in the summer time. LOL.

IMG_0778.thumb.jpeg.5be98e4105b79b071495855f5849e051.jpeg

Had some help over yesterday and more boxes are in the garage and empty boxes moved upstairs.  Now to see how long I can pull off the packing.  I have a method which helps - it includes sitting and resting in between.  LOL.  Shelving downstairs was cleaned and a couple of items moved onto the driveway to give away.  Before I could even post the pics on FB, they were gone!  

IMG_0774.thumb.jpeg.cfd21d760848f4555a24322ab00672c3.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries and those that need them 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_6834.thumb.jpeg.be82400e3324e3307597e4cc592715b0.jpeg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone!

Today will be sunny with a high of 76.  Sounds delightful!  We enjoyed the zoo yesterday and the kids had a lot of fun.  The zoo is just the right size for kids and adults alike.  The good news is that I was able to walk all over the zoo with no cane and no pain.  

@Heartgrove Our hearts are with you today as you say farewell to Sam. 

@RMLincoln  Breathe, Maureen, breathe!

@Haljo1935 The rib sounds very painful.  If it persists, get it checked out.

Not a lot on the agenda today except cleaning house and making food for tomorrow's family picnic.  Then on Sunday friends John and Sean are coming from Toledo.  River helped a ton by weeding the front the garden with Sue and then mopping the kitchen and dining room.  She thought the mopping was great fun.  Give her a few years and she'll just roll her eyes at the suggestion of doing that.  

Today's meal sounds tasty, but the carb count warns me off.  I'd like to try just a taste, but don't want to make a whole recipe of it just for that.  Pasta Salad with Beans

pastasaladwithavocadodressing1.png.a00f1d64f32bad6193557611271ad825.png

This one has a bit of a southwestern flavor to it.  I like the bell peppers added to it.  Southwest Pasta Salad

pastasaladwithavocadodressing2.jpg.83db855f1dfcf00b743595db9d7276b9.jpg

And here is a Mexican version.  Mexican Pasta Salad

pastasaladwithavocadodressing3.thumb.jpg.73090efe04547188be4f13469d75bca2.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 13

Good Friday morning!  Thanks for the daily and maps Rich.  Some good days to celebrate especially indigenous people.  A somber but needed day in history when the atomic bomb was dropped to begin the end of WWII.  We have been to Puerto Plata many times and enjoy the rum shopping opportunities it offers. No thanks to the salad and sangria but would love the Columbia River Valley Cabernet.   Thanks for researching these each day.  

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.  @Haljo1935 I pray you get some relief from your pain and can get some more sleep.  Popping a rib out, ouch!  Continued prayers for Tana and Terri, Annie and Chuck, you go through so much we are not even aware of.  Prayers for strength.  Prayers for Terri, Bonnie, Pat and Jacqui.  Thinking of you today Jack, @Heartgrove

Another day of rain, this called lake effect off from Lake Superior.  The generator still hasn't come on because the wind started yesterday and we had several hours of bright sunshine.  Hopefully more of that today.  Have a good Friday!  Nancy 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5

Good morning. Another hot one here but hey it’s August and Florida. Yesterday’s dermatology visit revealed that I have Basel Cell Carcinoma on my leg and Squamous Cell on my back. I take that as good news that it wasn’t melanomas. Will have surgery to remove in October. Could have been done earlier but we will be in Kauai. Please no need for care list.

We will pick up our neighbors at airport and go to a Mexican restaurant before taking them home. Of course this all depends on their flight being relatively on time.

Thanks for the reports and I hope you all have a great weekend. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.0f7df7d5e5428931c09e860974861064.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.03be0a70b003a2c0dd0973b1ea2358bf.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5f8370d6f4871b60dc3e4eed5f8abf67.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Haha 18

58 minutes ago, LambKnuckles said:

Salutations and thank you for the Daily!!

Central Texas is HOT and humid!  It's August and there will be just more of the same!!  There are a few of us, Dailyites, living in central Texas -- and I'm sure we all just live in our air-conditioned worlds, from home, to autos, to stores and restaurants, and other places with a/c...  and the occasional hike or walk outside, or maybe swim or jaunt through the sprinklers!!

Coworking...  I wonder if that means "job-sharing" or just working around and with others???

Indigenous People make the world what it is!!!  Thank you!!

And Veep Day...  I guess that would make this political and maybe I won't get anything started here...  one way or the other!  😉🤭

Not sure if Boris has this quote right -- but I understand the sentiment!  Not sure if it's surprise that's a gift...  sometimes that can be a heartache...  But, I have a reason for living that makes me smile and THAT is my greatest gift in this life!!!

I've never tried pasta salad with beans...  Maybe something new...

Sangria and Cabernet are both good choices for beverages!!

And Dominicana, Amber Cove -- yep, I did enjoy a visit here!!

This was the "Heavy soup" for lunch...

Amber Cove Lambies...  they welcomed me!!

And rum...

And good bye...

Lovely photos Lambie.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1