No more MTG luncheon, only cocktail party

CruzinNoony

We were invited to our first MTG luncheon on the Sapphire in June, to our great surprise.    It was an elegant lunch, and delightful talking to the officer.  If they are discontinuing, I’m very glad we had the chance to attend one!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Coral said:

I have a friend currently on the Caribbean Princess and he informed me of this also (no more lunches). It did come from Captain Circle Host and it did indicate it was "fleet wide".

I personally am not a fan of cocktail parties.

So basically it came from the head of future cruise sales since there is no Captains Circle Host/Hostess anymore. That position was eliminated last year and the duties for those positions moved to the Future Cruise Sales Department.  

The more formal presentations that the Hostess used to do is now usually done by the head of future cruise sales and one of their subordinates mans the Capatains Circle desk, if it is staffed at all.

Edited by TRLD
  • Like 2

This rumor was going around earlier this summer allegedly from someone who had been assured this was the case by the Captain's Circle hostess.  Right after that we were invited to a Captain's Circle MTG luncheon and we were seated with the Captain and his wife.  He assured me this was not the case and it was at the discretion of the Captain.  It also depends on the itinerary and other particulars of each cruise.  He told me that he really enjoys these and tries to do them whenever possible.  One of the Restaurant Managers also told me that the kitchen loves these events too as they can be creative and aren't constrained by the recipes from corporate.  So yeah, it's possible that these will be discontinued at some point but as recently as last week I saw someone post that they were invited along with the pictures and menu to prove it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

With the Plus/Premier bundles available, sounds like the luncheon is just going into extinction (no longer needed). 

If you haven't noticed, Princess has turned into "pay to play", sanctuary suites, Premier with unlimited SD, bundles containing the fast Wifi... 

A luncheon is a wasted hour or two in corporate's mind, throwing money at the past. 

Edited by startedwithamouse

Got the information from same two people. Maybe those who experienced luncheon recently were lucky still on the  ship they traveled . Both people are extremely reliable that told me it was discontinued, same people the poster got the information from also. We have been on ships where we went to the very elegant Cocktail party for Most Traveled . Food was really good but nothing to compare to the very  elegant Luncheon.

I for one feel so excited when I made the luncheon. With so many Elites with unbelievable high numbers , didn't always happen for me with over 800 days.

I am very sad if we do in fact loose the Luncheon. And yet another benefit which I considered an honor to attend. The Cocktail party was something I really didn't like. Never felt it was special for us. The Officers mingled and walk around talking to the well travelled people they  already knew and most of the time I felt my husband and I were ignored . When I am traveling I never really cozy up to any Officers .  Others do feel differently and it becomes part of their cruise experience. I am not critisizing those that enjoy the friendships. I just prefer meeting new friends (passengers)and  making friendships that have lasted forever. 

So the luncheons were special , sad ending.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, azbirdmom said:

This rumor was going around earlier this summer allegedly from someone who had been assured this was the case by the Captain's Circle hostess.  Right after that we were invited to a Captain's Circle MTG luncheon and we were seated with the Captain and his wife.  He assured me this was not the case and it was at the discretion of the Captain.  It also depends on the itinerary and other particulars of each cruise.  He told me that he really enjoys these and tries to do them whenever possible.  One of the Restaurant Managers also told me that the kitchen loves these events too as they can be creative and aren't constrained by the recipes from corporate.  So yeah, it's possible that these will be discontinued at some point but as recently as last week I saw someone post that they were invited along with the pictures and menu to prove it.

Had luncheon just a few weeks ago 

• Like 2

We were surprised and honored to be invited to two MTG luncheons last June on the Grand.  My wife and I both thought the food and service were exceptional.  We very much enjoyed chatting with the other well-traveled cruisers and ship's officers.  

Cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

With the Plus/Premier bundles available, sounds like the luncheon is just going into extinction (no longer needed). 

If you haven't noticed, Princess has turned into "pay to play", sanctuary suites, Premier with unlimited SD, bundles containing the fast Wifi... 

A luncheon is a wasted hour or two in corporate's mind, throwing money at the past. 

This nicely sums it up. 

Up until last year P&O had a luncheon for the top tier passengers, but due to the large numbers that qualified it was over two sittings on two separate days. Unless they alter the qualifying numbers of days needed to get to a certain tier some ships will have huge numbers of passengers qualifying for the luncheon. Whereas previously wine had flowed  throughout the luncheon on previous occasions it seemed to stop very quickly last year. No doubt cut backs again. P&O used to have a chocoholics buffet in the MDR where cakes and desserts were available and tea and coffee served at your table. Galley and Bridge tours were free. So much has been replaced with a charge for the privilege or scrapped altogether.

4 hours ago, san diego sue said:

Got the information from same two people. Maybe those who experienced luncheon recently were lucky still on the  ship they traveled . Both people are extremely reliable that told me it was discontinued, same people the poster got the information from also. We have been on ships where we went to the very elegant Cocktail party for Most Traveled . Food was really good but nothing to compare to the very  elegant Luncheon.

I for one feel so excited when I made the luncheon. With so many Elites with unbelievable high numbers , didn't always happen for me with over 800 days.

I am very sad if we do in fact loose the Luncheon. And yet another benefit which I considered an honor to attend. The Cocktail party was something I really didn't like. Never felt it was special for us. The Officers mingled and walk around talking to the well travelled people they  already knew and most of the time I felt my husband and I were ignored . When I am traveling I never really cozy up to any Officers .  Others do feel differently and it becomes part of their cruise experience. I am not critisizing those that enjoy the friendships. I just prefer meeting new friends (passengers)and  making friendships that have lasted forever. 

So the luncheons were special , sad ending.  

Agree with you. I think the higher the rank the less they connect with those of a lower status even if they are seasoned travellers. If they are at your table they have less chance to avoid you and you them. Don't get me wrong I have been on past cruises where a member of staff was on our table in the MDR throughout our cruise and bought the wine every night. He was the Chief Engineer on the ship and was a nice guy. Have cruised mainly P&O so I am not totally up with what the luncheon is/has been on Princess. We have an upcoming cruise on Sky Princess so I don't know and haven't been told of any luncheon being held. We are Elite tier for this cruise.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TRLD said:

So basically it came from the head of future cruise sales since there is no Captains Circle Host/Hostess anymore. That position was eliminated last year and the duties for those positions moved to the Future Cruise Sales Department.  

The more formal presentations that the Hostess used to do is now usually done by the head of future cruise sales and one of their subordinates mans the Capatains Circle desk, if it is staffed at all.

Sorry - you are right. All I know is my friend is very well traveled on Princess and was told there are no lunches anymore - they were eliminated fleet wide when he went to check if he qualified. I believe he checked with someone else also. He usually knows many officers when he cruises.

11 hours ago, Teechur said:

When we traveled recently on a two-week Emerald cruise, there were so many elite passengers that they held 3 back-to-back cocktail parties. A couple of drinks, and no appetizers. For many, it was standing room only.

Not worth the time.

If it wasn't worth the time, why would they be standing room only?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, billco said:

"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded." - Yogi Berra

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

28 minutes ago, billco said:

Perhaps because they really don't know what to expect since the affair is overblown. 

A few comments:

*The cocktail gathering is nice, but really does little for those that don't drink, drink very little, and those that already have the plus/premier packages.

*The lunch provides something you really can't buy, and nowhere else can you have the close contact with your table's ship officer.

*Some other cruise lines provide a no charge cocktail event every evening for those at high loyalty levels.

*I have been to both. Prefer the lunch by a large margin. I can get drinks anywhere on board, but the food selections are not really available anywhere else.  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, skynight said:

A few comments:

*The cocktail gathering is nice, but really does little for those that don't drink, drink very little, and those that already have the plus/premier packages.

*The lunch provides something you really can't buy, and nowhere else can you have the close contact with your table's ship officer.

*Some other cruise lines provide a no charge cocktail event every evening for those at high loyalty levels.

*I have been to both. Prefer the lunch by a large margin. I can get drinks anywhere on board, but the food selections are not really available anywhere else.  

Totally agree with you! On Princess we were told that it is the Captain's choice to have luncheon or cocktail party.

We love the luncheon!

Yes, RCI provides x (4 - 6) drinks per day based on your status, while Celebrity has a Happy Hour from 5 - 7 daily, too.

Not a PE 330 to 5 where you pay $8 per drink. 

11 hours ago, Teechur said:

When we traveled recently on a two-week Emerald cruise, there were so many elite passengers that they held 3 back-to-back cocktail parties. A couple of drinks, and no appetizers. For many, it was standing room only.

Not worth the time.

This is not the Top 40 Most Travelled Passengers (MTP) event. At the top 40 event only the top 40 MTPs, measured by days on board, are invited to attend. There are always at least 40 seats. Standing is your option.

At the MTP lunch you are assigned a seat at a table. The top most travelled sit with the Captain, other tables have other senior officers. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, billco said:

There is never Standing Room Only at a top 40 event. There are only 40 people invited, hardly an SRO crowd. Poster is mixing up the top 40 with the elite happy hours, or maybe the Captain's Circle event. They are totally different. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We have attended both and found the MTG Cocktail Party more to our liking.  The Party was very well done with great appetizers, a string quartet playing and many officers who circulated amongst the 40 guests and really mingled.  We met several officers who always acknowledged us around the ship the rest of the cruise.  Also, the Captain Photo is always nice too.  

Our experience with the MTG luncheon is that you meet one officer and several times our table just turned into a complaint party with what Princess was doing wrong.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coral said:

Sorry - you are right. All I know is my friend is very well traveled on Princess and was told there are no lunches anymore - they were eliminated fleet wide when he went to check if he qualified. I believe he checked with someone else also. He usually knows many officers when he cruises.

I had just mentioned that because when the switch happened the ONE employees in future cruise sales wanted the Captains Circle function, making the arguement that it would help them make more sales, but were not really that interested in the services that the host/hostess provided such as planning the luncheon.

1 hour ago, asctony said:

Totally agree with you! On Princess we were told that it is the Captain's choice to have luncheon or cocktail party.

We love the luncheon!

Yes, RCI provides x (4 - 6) drinks per day based on your status, while Celebrity has a Happy Hour from 5 - 7 daily, too.

Not a PE 330 to 5 where you pay $8 per drink. 

which cruise lines provide complimentary mini bar set ups with status?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LynnSD said:

We were invited to our first MTG luncheon on the Sapphire in June, to our great surprise.    It was an elegant lunch, and delightful talking to the officer.  If they are discontinuing, I’m very glad we had the chance to attend one!

Me too on that! We made the cut for the first time on the Grand a few weeks ago, and that was quite a surprise. Great lunch and really nice conversation. No complaints were aired. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, skynight said:

The cocktail gathering is nice, but really does little for those that don't drink, drink very little, and those that already have the plus/premier packages.

If the cocktail party is done with a full spread of food it can be even better than the luncheons. The quality is much better than what you receive at the buffet or dining room.