The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday September 12th, 2024

@marshhawk

My mom also could not fully close one eye due to paralysis on one side of her face (botched ear surgery many years ago). She used ophthamic ointment during the day for the dryness and pain and at night she taped that lid shut. You might have to try a few tapes but may be worth a shot.

Thanks to all of you for keeping this Daily going, I’ve had many things happen in my life the last few years and reading this thread in the early morning hours helped keep my sanity and also helped me feel not so alone as others were struggling with similar issues.  

Edited by ellbelle
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 6

3 minutes ago, ellbelle said:

@marshhawk

My mom also could not fully close one eye due to paralysis on one side of her face (botched ear surgery many years ago). She used ophthamic ointment during the day for the dryness and pain and at night she taped that lid shut. You might have to try a few tapes but may be worth a shot.

Thanks to all of you for keeping this Daily going, I’ve had many things happen in my life the last few years and reading this thread in the early morning hours helped keep my sanity and also helped me feel not so alone as others were struggling with similar issues.  

Welcome to posting on the Daily!  We're glad to hear you've enjoyed the camaraderie of the Daily and Fleet Report over these past few years, and appreciate you stepping up with a possible solution for Chuck @catmando and Annie @marshhawk.  Please come back and talk with us anytime.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

Another cloudy day, but 0% chance of rain today and tomorrow.  We'll see....

I have some outdoor work I'd like to get done if the weather cooperates.

I like all 3 of the "feel good" days.  True quote, and I'd like the meal but will pass on the drink and red wine.  We went to New Caldonia (Noumea and Easo) on the GANZ, but not to this port, so no photos.  DH and I visited the Lascaux Caves when we were in France in 2019.  Fascinating!

Vanessa @JazzyV You continue to amaze all of us!  Prayers that the antibiotics help and you're back home and well very soon.

A very Happy Birthday to @puppycanducruise's DM!

Sandi @StLouisCruisers Congratulations to Ren for making National Merit Semi-Finalist!

Terry @smitty34877 I'm glad you let your DB know how much he's appreciated here. 🙂  

Jacqui @kazu Thanks for checking in.  Ugh on waiting for more tests and appointments.  Sending big (but gentle) hugs.

I had no ill effects from the Covid vaccine yesterday, not even a sore arm!  Could it be that after 7 of them my body has said "ok, I surrender"??  In the past any vaccine always gave me mild to moderate side effects but not this time.

I'm worried about my sister (she got Covid on a river cruise).  She's still feeling very sick after 10 days so will be going to Urgent Care in Bellingham.  😞  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 6

Good morning. Sunny and dry here ..... current temp is 51F. It was 43 when the dogs and I headed out this morning for a very brief walk. As the days get shorter it is much darker when we walk and this morning as I was headed down the driveway with the dogs, I met a neighbor hustling up from trying to take trash out (he was still clutching his bag). He shouted to go back.... "Bear!!". Seems Moma and a cub were trying to open the dumpster ... they failed but we could hear them banging it around. Anyway, they then proceeded to walk up between my building and the one next door surprising another neighbor who was coming out to get in her car.  Sooooo.... it is Fall, and the bruins will be bulking up for the winter sleep and I need to readjust our walking schedule. My dogs ignored all of this .... they pay no attention to the bears and have only a passing interest in deer. Sure gets the adrenaline pumping.

Am waiting to hear from my sister who spent most of yesterday in the ER and has an appointment with a gastroenterologist this morning. I can tell her daughter is worried despite her giving me all sorts of assurances. Hoping for good news - she is 95 (soon to be 96 in a couple weeks) so we all tend to worry.

@kazuJacqui... sorry the vascular surgeon visit was sort of a bust and that you are having to have the cataract surgery although it will make a big difference in your life. I was amazed at what I could see after mine. Glad Ivan is adjusting.... I think as long as he is with you, he is happy. @rafinmdHope your time at the rehab is successful and brief. Best wishes to everyone. I know we all wish were younger and cruising.

Susan

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

It’s transition day here where son and family leave and SIL arrives. Dawn is breaking and we’ll check on weather. Missed the full sunset last night but the remnants and sky were still beautiful.

Something different yesterday, was I received an E-mail from CC notifying every like I got on my post. In the past I have received E-mail from quotes or being mentioned but not from likes. Strange and way too many E-mails. 
We enjoyed our visit to Kilauea Lighthouse and bird sanctuary.

Enjoy the rest of your day. Thanks for reports and post. B.

image.thumb.jpeg.a18dff32032e119be83d3e76e28cd5f5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.78e987e430efc9dabd81301dbfbd77eb.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4c209161e5130ce7f2e2cebb93fff4e6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.705053ed35f3b166d47d4236c2429a94.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Something different yesterday, was I received an E-mail from CC notifying every like I got on my post. In the past I have received E-mail from quotes or being mentioned but not from likes. Strange and way too many E-mails. 

I have email notifications turned off.  I'd rather just get the notifications here on CC, no need to get them on email. 

• Like 14

1 hour ago, ellbelle said:

@marshhawk

Sending you a big welcome from England UK.

Graham.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Dailyites, and welcome, @ellbelle!  Thanks for the pictures, Graham and Tony, I'm happy you are sorting out your new computer, Tony.  Happy birthday to @puppycanducruise, Melanie's DM, we are on our second or third of your carrot cakes.  I apportion them out very carefully, and if we don't have too many carbs in our main course, we have a bit for dessert.  The cream cheese icing is delicious!  Jacqui, I'm sorry about the leg pain, and the cataracts - I should be having cataract surgery, too, but I hate having anyone even coming close to my eyes!  I had to have a laser treatment (iridotomy) to prevent glaucoma, and it freaked me out!  Annie, @marshhawk, my daughter, too, doesn't close her eyes properly - one day her sister caught her napping on the sofa in the sunroom and exclaimed "She's sleeping with her eyes open!"  She hadn't even realized that was why she was having so much pain.  She tapes her eyes shut at night now, after putting in a gel, and also wears an eye mask.  She has to use a special tape, as sometimes it took the skin off!

Pat is now a card-carrying TAVI waitlistee!  He has to carry it with him, just in case "anything" happens, the TAVI team has to be advised.  DD was looking at some of his tests yesterday, and told him he was anaemic and needed to take an iron supplement.  He checked with the TAVI nurse this morning and she said he can do that, so he'll start tomorrow, and I'll look for chicken livers today!  I guess they did not discuss him on Tuesday, as he hasn't had any word of timing for the surgery.  Gerry, I will email you, questions do arise, and thank you.  

Pat would love the soup, i"m not crazy about tomatoes or soup, so I will refrain.  Rain is definitely falling around us here on CC.   Terry, @smitty34877, your DB really is a diamond - and a girl's best friend!  Tell him to come back soon, you and Tana need him.  I'll keep all three of you in my prayers, and your teenager.  

We are heading out now for a coffee at Timmie's.  TTYL. as DD would say.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Back to normal tonight 😟.

Never mind 😄 still looking at the sea.👍

IMG_20240912_180205.jpg

Welcome back!! On your P and O cruises have you ever encountered Capt Robert Camby?  He was on Cunard and was very well thought of by crew and passengers.  Just curious.  😀  Katherine

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ellbelle said:

@marshhawk

Sorry to be jumping in... I agree with this also. I would use paper tape, it is easy to tear apart and doesn't stick too much, just enough.

I'm enjoying all of the pictures posted today! ☺️

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Welcome back!! On your P and O cruises have you ever encountered Capt Robert Camby?  He was on Cunard and was very well thought of by crew and passengers.  Just curious.  😀  Katherine

He was our Captain on P&O Arvia this June.

He has a great sense of humour.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, rrraydon said:

Sorry to be jumping in... I agree with this also. I would use paper tape, it is easy to tear apart and doesn't stick too much, just enough.

Jump in any time! This is a great group of kind people. Welcome, happy to have your input.

• Like 17

Well, for the first time in fall cleaning history in this house (54years) I have completed the kitchen first. I usually start in one of the bedrooms in the back and move forward because all paths lead thru the kitchen. But, by the time I get there I am so fed up with deep cleaning it doesn’t get its due. This time I got it, everything but the floor because, you know, that path thru the kitchen. Tomorrow I tackle the den and next week the bedrooms, bath, living/dining room and rec room downstairs. This Saturday will be mostly laundry since I am going to an abba tribute concert at night and don’t want to fall asleep in the middle of the concert! 

Our temps are warming up again and should last thru much of next week. A few leaves have started changing but you really have to look to find them. 

prayers for those that need them and a celebratory shout out to those celebrating. Have a great rest of the day everybody.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, superoma said:

Well, for the first time in fall cleaning history in this house (54years) I have completed the kitchen first. I usually start in one of the bedrooms in the back and move forward because all paths lead thru the kitchen. But, by the time I get there I am so fed up with deep cleaning it doesn’t get its due. This time I got it, everything but the floor because, you know, that path thru the kitchen. Tomorrow I tackle the den and next week the bedrooms, bath, living/dining room and rec room downstairs. This Saturday will be mostly laundry since I am going to an abba tribute concert at night and don’t want to fall asleep in the middle of the concert! 

Our temps are warming up again and should last thru much of next week. A few leaves have started changing but you really have to look to find them. 

prayers for those that need them and a celebratory shout out to those celebrating. Have a great rest of the day everybody.

I want your stamina!

I hire my DIL to come and clean. 🤣

She's coming over tomorrow to shampoo all of the carpets and clean all of the bathrooms. I just can't do it anymore.

They need money and I need cleaning done. It's a win win.

Edited by rrraydon
  • Like 23

Roy's latest update just landed in my in box.  As I suspected, he's had a busy day today.

The first day’s rehab is now done, nominally 4 1/2 hours.  With each new therapist there was an assessment which repeated many of the same questions.  I have not yet been over to the gym.

At 7 I had an hour with the Speech/language therapist who also covered things like chewing and swallowing.  

I had an hour break until 9 and a recreational therapist talking about things I like to do in my spare time and how therapy can help with my chosen activities.

At 9:30 the Occupational therapist came and we worked on dressing, standing with a walker, and transferring to a wheelchair.  The Occupational therapist cleared me to go to the bathroom with assistance.

Another break to 11 and then the Physical Therapist who worked on some eye exercises, a walk down the hallway, some ear canal exercises on the bed, and finally she helped me with a visit to the bathroom.

After lunch the Speech Therapist had me do some breathing exercises.  I still have not been to the gym but will get a new schedule each day.

Lenda

• Like 11
  • Thanks 24

I’m currently getting my last dose of IV antibiotics, which is a 3 hour infusion. So I’ll be discharged home around 6 with oral antibiotics. It will be good to sleep in my own bed tonight. I’ll catch up on the Daily this evening. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 15

40 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

He was our Captain on P&O Arvia this June.

He has a great sense of humour.

We liked him a lot.  He was a bachelor then and there were some younger women who would have liked to have gotten to know him better!  He once told me he considered me “staff” one summer because I was on the ship so

much.

• Like 12

Had early dental appt so I’m starting the day over. It was foggy this morning but bright and sunny now. Woke up to text from DDG that they were exposed to COVID at work… do we still want to visit them tomorrow?  Rats!  We planned to drive up to see them tomorrow, maybe go kayaking! Sigh.

We’re expecting our living room shade to be delivered today. We had a hard time figuring out our options. Only took us 10 months…. Chose a mostly-sun-blocking, partly see-through fabric. Need to cut the heat and glare but still see out. I hope it does what we expect. 

My brother just had his second cataract surgery. All good!  I was surprised they did them only a week apart. He’s going great!  I’m so glad his daughter is close by to help him… he’s the one whose wife died earlier this year. He is SO amazed at how “beautiful” everything looks!  
@kazu Jacqui, I hope you can get your eyes done quickly!  You are quite a trooper going through all this move!  And in pain!  Gentle hugs! 

@ottahand7 Safe travels and Go Ravens!  @rafinmd Roy, hoping the rehab-place takes very good care of you and resolves your issues quickly. @grapau27 I was missing the view!  Glad to have it and you back. 
@Vict0riann Ann and Pat, you are making great progress!  @smitty34877 @marshhawk Terry and Tana, Annie and Chuck: strength and gratitude!
 @Cruzin Terri Terri, hoping your day is uneventful. @JazzyV Vanessa, hoping your treatment is successful! Thank you! 
@StLouisCruisers Sandi, happy news for Ren! Enjoy the wedding trip, hoping you have no storms!  

Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope! 
Stay well and safe! Maureen

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

Good afternoon from a sunny, off and on, day in central Texas.  The good news is the house is clean for another few days or until I can't stand it anymore, and for once it went a bit more quickly than normal.  No complaints about that.  Now, I'm just waiting for the two loads of towels to finish.

Last week when DH had his ENT evaluation for dizziness, she did not think the problem was vestibular, but ordered vestibular PT just in case.  He can have it here in town, and they called to set up the first appointment this afternoon.  She thinks his eyes might be the main problem and wants an in depth examination, probably like the one he had two years ago that was basically normal.  The first appointment they had is toward the end of March 2025 when we hope to be in Quartzsite.  I guess that will wait a bit longer.  

5 hours ago, kazu said:

Thank you for our Daily, Sandi & thanks to our F & B tam and Vanessa

Posting later than normal but it’s a new routine and hopefully Ivan and I will adapt.  it’s been a busy, hectic week.

Ivan’t routine takes longer since I can’t just open the door and let him out & he wants a lot of fetch and I am accommodating him with all the adjustments he is gong through.  LOL

Vascular surgeon was a bust.  I don’t know why he told me to come back for the “plan”.  He thinks the pain is nerve pain emanating from my bank so an MRi was ordered (ugh) and if nothing comes of that, then I am to call and go back to see him.  So, the pain continues. ‘Sigh’

Next day was the cataract surgeo.  I knew they were getting worse fast as I have such a hard time seeing and wouldn’t even drive my SUV here.  I arranged for one of the movers to drive it so I didn’t have to risk myself or others.  Cataract surgeon said my cataracts were very mature.  Too mature.  I can’t wait the normal amount of time or I will be blind.  So I have been moved up for the surgery with a call coming any time and promised it will happen in the next few months.  I am having a hard time seeing now and typing anything that cant be expanded is tricky.

The problem is - if the call doesn’t come before cruise time, I do’t dare go.  Very depressing.

Tomorrow is the signing of documents for the house closing on Monday.  

Poor Ivan - so many appointments in the first week.  Not much choice in the matter though.

Today I will be tackling more boxes so that I can hopefully make some sense out of this place and then get my pictures hung.

I am way behind on  my spread sheets and the FCL so. I need to get with the programme but first, I want to get settled before I tackle reading and typing.

I ams so sorry to read about the challenges so many are facing.  My prayers for your all 🙏

Hope everyone has a great day.  The gin on our door with paw print announcing Ivan was a dog.  LOL

IMG_3163.thumb.jpeg.f30c5dcf3af98e072e44007e73055faa.jpeg

Jacqui, I'm glad you and Ivan are adjusting to your new home.  I'm sorry the vascular surgeon appointment was so disappointing.  Hopefully, the MRI will give them some idea of the problem.  I hope you can have the cataract surgery soon and be ready for your cruise.

3 hours ago, ellbelle said:

@marshhawk

Donna, welcome to the Fleet Report/Daily.  It's good to know we were able to help the last few years.  I found the Daily was a big help during that time, too.  I've made a lot of new friends here, and have even be fortunate to meet some in person on BHBs.  I hope you will join us often.

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Another cloudy day, but 0% chance of rain today and tomorrow.  We'll see....

I have some outdoor work I'd like to get done if the weather cooperates.

I like all 3 of the "feel good" days.  True quote, and I'd like the meal but will pass on the drink and red wine.  We went to New Caldonia (Noumea and Easo) on the GANZ, but not to this port, so no photos.  DH and I visited the Lascaux Caves when we were in France in 2019.  Fascinating!

Vanessa @JazzyV You continue to amaze all of us!  Prayers that the antibiotics help and you're back home and well very soon.

A very Happy Birthday to @puppycanducruise's DM!

Sandi @StLouisCruisers Congratulations to Ren for making National Merit Semi-Finalist!

Terry @smitty34877 I'm glad you let your DB know how much he's appreciated here. 🙂  

Jacqui @kazu Thanks for checking in.  Ugh on waiting for more tests and appointments.  Sending big (but gentle) hugs.

I had no ill effects from the Covid vaccine yesterday, not even a sore arm!  Could it be that after 7 of them my body has said "ok, I surrender"??  In the past any vaccine always gave me mild to moderate side effects but not this time.

I'm worried about my sister (she got Covid on a river cruise).  She's still feeling very sick after 10 days so will be going to Urgent Care in Bellingham.  😞  

Carolyn, I'm glad you did not have a reaction from the Covid vaccine.  The news about your sister is disturbing.  I hope she can get some help at the Urgent Care.

3 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning. Sunny and dry here ..... current temp is 51F. It was 43 when the dogs and I headed out this morning for a very brief walk. As the days get shorter it is much darker when we walk and this morning as I was headed down the driveway with the dogs, I met a neighbor hustling up from trying to take trash out (he was still clutching his bag). He shouted to go back.... "Bear!!". Seems Moma and a cub were trying to open the dumpster ... they failed but we could hear them banging it around. Anyway, they then proceeded to walk up between my building and the one next door surprising another neighbor who was coming out to get in her car.  Sooooo.... it is Fall, and the bruins will be bulking up for the winter sleep and I need to readjust our walking schedule. My dogs ignored all of this .... they pay no attention to the bears and have only a passing interest in deer. Sure gets the adrenaline pumping.

Am waiting to hear from my sister who spent most of yesterday in the ER and has an appointment with a gastroenterologist this morning. I can tell her daughter is worried despite her giving me all sorts of assurances. Hoping for good news - she is 95 (soon to be 96 in a couple weeks) so we all tend to worry.

@kazuJacqui... sorry the vascular surgeon visit was sort of a bust and that you are having to have the cataract surgery although it will make a big difference in your life. I was amazed at what I could see after mine. Glad Ivan is adjusting.... I think as long as he is with you, he is happy. @rafinmdHope your time at the rehab is successful and brief. Best wishes to everyone. I know we all wish were younger and cruising.

Susan

Susan, I hope your sister gets some help at the gastroenterologist today, and that she feels better soon.  I'm glad the dogs ignored the bear.  We've seen a few up closer than we liked in Alaska and the Yukon.  Our 7 pound dachshund thought she was a very big, viscous dog when she encountered wildlife, except even she knew to be quiet and still when bears were around.

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

I have email notifications turned off.  I'd rather just get the notifications here on CC, no need to get them on email. 

Carolyn, I have all notifications turned off on CC.  We get enough other things without adding those.

38 minutes ago, rrraydon said:

Welcome to the FR/D, and I think many of us became Dailyites by jumping in.  All are welcome here, and we learn different things from each new Dailyite.

@grapau27  Welcome home, Graham and Pauline.  I'm glad you had a wonderful cruise.  Great pictures from many ports we've enjoyed over the years.  Vigo is the only one we've not seen -- yet.

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I’m currently getting my last dose of IV antibiotics, which is a 3 hour infusion. So I’ll be discharged home around 6 with oral antibiotics. It will be good to sleep in my own bed tonight. I’ll catch up on the Daily this evening. 

Vanessa, I'm glad you are getting your last iv antibiotic and will be able to go home tonight.  I hope this and the oral antibiotics clear up the infection asap.

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites, and welcome, @ellbelle!  Thanks for the pictures, Graham and Tony, I'm happy you are sorting out your new computer, Tony.  Happy birthday to @puppycanducruise, Melanie's DM, we are on our second or third of your carrot cakes.  I apportion them out very carefully, and if we don't have too many carbs in our main course, we have a bit for dessert.  The cream cheese icing is delicious!  Jacqui, I'm sorry about the leg pain, and the cataracts - I should be having cataract surgery, too, but I hate having anyone even coming close to my eyes!  I had to have a laser treatment (iridotomy) to prevent glaucoma, and it freaked me out!  Annie, @marshhawk, my daughter, too, doesn't close her eyes properly - one day her sister caught her napping on the sofa in the sunroom and exclaimed "She's sleeping with her eyes open!"  She hadn't even realized that was why she was having so much pain.  She tapes her eyes shut at night now, after putting in a gel, and also wears an eye mask.  She has to use a special tape, as sometimes it took the skin off!

Pat is now a card-carrying TAVI waitlistee!  He has to carry it with him, just in case "anything" happens, the TAVI team has to be advised.  DD was looking at some of his tests yesterday, and told him he was anaemic and needed to take an iron supplement.  He checked with the TAVI nurse this morning and she said he can do that, so he'll start tomorrow, and I'll look for chicken livers today!  I guess they did not discuss him on Tuesday, as he hasn't had any word of timing for the surgery.  Gerry, I will email you, questions do arise, and thank you.  

Pat would love the soup, i"m not crazy about tomatoes or soup, so I will refrain.  Rain is definitely falling around us here on CC.   Terry, @smitty34877, your DB really is a diamond - and a girl's best friend!  Tell him to come back soon, you and Tana need him.  I'll keep all three of you in my prayers, and your teenager.  

We are heading out now for a coffee at Timmie's.  TTYL. as DD would say.

Ann, I'm happy Pat is one step closer to the TAVI procedure.  I hope he gets his appointment soon.

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good day  and thanks all.  Discovered a very good boxed tomato and roasted pepper soup, so had that yesterday.  

@kazu good to see you posting but so sorry you still have more health challenges!  Praying the cataract surgery can be done quickly!  You need a vacation!  

@puppycanducruise happy birthday to your DM. 

@JazzyV glad you are getting out today, hope the treatment works quickly. 

@sailingdutchy thanks for your photos of the port! 

@grapau27 nice to see your trip, but I think you must have set a new record with well over a dozen posts. 😂  

@aliaschief I too was deluged with emails yesterday, not sure what’s going on.  

@rafinmd glad to hear from you again.  

@cat shepard  many ways to Cairo.  But my Egyptian friend is also travelling through Heathrow,  you could also check Lufthansa,  KLM and Air France.  Gatwick is largely used for charter and the low cost airlines.  Happy planning.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1