Veendam to Bermuda 6-18. The Good, the bad and the OH MY!

TomAndJane

Just returned from a wonderful cruise on the Veendam round trip to Bermuda out of Boston. We became Three stars on this cruise so we have a little experience on HAL. I am sure that others on this very same cruise may have a completely different version but this is how I view it.

The Good:

1. Bermuda - Enough said

2. The crew - The Veendam has to have one of the best crews in the fleet. The room stewards, the bar staff and other members of the crew were absolutely fantastic. Mae, Joanna, Princess, John and James all stand out as not only wonderful staff but people as well.

3. Main dining room - We were on the Veendam for two weeks in 2015 and the main dining room food was horrible. This year the food was FANTASTIC and the service even better! We also had lunch one afternoon and the fish was some of the best we have ever had.

4. Barry from Boston - We saw Barry several evenings and he always drew a crowd. He was very entertaining, a good singer and one hell of a piano player.

The Bad:

1. The Specialty Restaurants - Last year both the Pinnacle and the Canaletto were wonderful. This year they were both big disappointments. In the Canaletto my fish was so over done it was charred and my wife only got 4 shrimp in her shrimp pasta. In the Pinnacle we both ordered the Halibut and it had such a strong perfume smell we couldn't even eat it (Appetizers were delicious).

2. The public areas - There were bathrooms out of order the entire cruise and several of the toilets were not cleaned. The staff of the Veendam do their best to keep areas clean but they are under staffed and it shows in some of the public areas.

3. Technology - The Veendam is older and it shows in their technology infrastructure. You can't view menu's, your account, etc in your room because of the old small TV's.

The OH MY:

1. One night at the Piano bar one intoxicated lady showed up and started yelling at Barry the Piano player. Then started making comments to other passengers even telling one gay couple where were celebrating their 20th Anniversary exactly how she felt about them and it wasn't positive. After a few minutes of this I went to the Bartender and asked them to call Security. The lady bartender grab a glass of water and came out from behind the bar and made sure she was between the lady and the other passengers.

2. Robe and slippers in the buffet.. Really.... hahahaha

3. Shorts and T-shirts at dinner. This doesn't bother me at all but I know that for some it does. I guess this happens on every cruise line.

Bottom Line:

1. Did we have a great time - Yes

2. Does the Veendam need more staff and upgraded - Yes

3. Are the staff on the Veendam fantastic - YES

4. Would we sail on her again - A big YOU BET !!!

If you have any questions I may be able to answer them for you.

Tom

Excellent and very readable review. Thanks for posting!

Oh my, indeed! Luckily on our many HAL cruises we rarely see anything more than a couple of drunks once in a long while. That was enough.

Glad you had a good time!

Dang, Tom. I was in and out of the piano bar most nights on that sailing and I missed the drunk lady. I'm sure Barry handled it well. I enjoyed him too. I had a great cruise after a long break from HAL. Nice change from the crowds and hundreds of children on the Dawn that I sailed the last few years. Some nights I thought the main dining room menus were lack luster, but overall good. I was very impressed with the prime rib on the first night and the two gala night menus were excellent. I think in some cases it must be certain dishes in the specialty restaurants that leave something to be desired. I wasn't impressed with Canaletto, but thought the Pinnacle was excellent. The first night we ate there, I didn't like the lobster bisque - much darker than what I make and what I'm used to in restaurants around here. The steaks were wonderful and the desserts, wow, I had two the second night there. Nor did I run into public bathrooms being in disorder - mainly used the one outside the dining room.

Looking forward to sailing HAL to Bermuda again next June!

I was on board VEENDAM in Bermuda (11th to 18th). I was not cruising in the ship this year, but I did get on board twice evening as a visitor with friends who were.

The ship looked very good. Good paint job. Well, one of the perks of the VEENDAM is three full days alongside with the painting barge on every call at Hamilton. Very few ships that chance to do a 'wet dock' every week!

I could only see what I could see, but the crew looked their normal cheerful self. One dinner in Pinnacle. Excellent. Second evening went on board for Canaletto. Good but perhaps the dinner was not quite as last year. The stewed ribs just a touch tough, but nothing to complain about.

First evening for drinks in Oceaan Bar. It seems that bar is only used because it is 'happy hour'. Sad, Oceaan Bar used to be THE place to have drinks and hang out. I saw once couple sitting in the lounge with T shirts and SHORT shorts and flip flops and feet sitting up on the chairs. Sad. The following evening... Crows Nest, best view of Hamilton and also a bit quiet.

Next year the VEENDAM will only be making one call in Hamilton. This is the smack in the middle of the AMERICA's CUP, but that week is a quiet week. Still, there will be a lot of things to do.

Hope she is again in 2018. Time is running out!

Stephen

The OH MY:

2. Robe and slippers in the buffet.. Really.... hahahaha

In December I was surprised the Captain added a comment to his welcome aboard and sail away commentary about not wearing bathrobes ( and always wear shoes) in the interior of the ship.

So what was the glass of water for.... to pour on the intoxicated woman? I hope security quenched it properly.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I haven't been to Bermuda, hope I get to someday but it will likely be a different experience without the small ships able to dock in Hamilton. m--

The HAL schedule for 2017 shows 6 cruises to Bermuda, May, June, July. Alternating with doing Canada/New England.

Well, this is good hews.

The important thing is.... do the calls coincide with America's Cup? I will get back and try to work out what might be possible.

Thanks.

Stephen

Well, this is good hews.

The important thing is.... do the calls coincide with America's Cup? I will get back and try to work out what might be possible.

Thanks.

Stephen

Capt. Card!

Hope all is well. I was wondering if you have any idea what may be possible after Veendam is no longer in the fleet. I am not sure I will be able to squeeze a trip in to Bermuda next year [although I hope to try!!] but docking in Hamilton is such a great experience. Are the Rotterdam and Amsterdam small enough to dock there should HAL ever decide to place one of them on the Bermuda run in Veendam's absence? Rotterdam is back to Boston in 2017 for VoV so is it possible she could end up with BOS as her summer homeport once Veendam and Maasdam are gone?

David

So what was the glass of water for.... to pour on the intoxicated woman? I hope security quenched it properly.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I haven't been to Bermuda, hope I get to someday but it will likely be a different experience without the small ships able to dock in Hamilton. m--

The glass of water was for the lady and replaced her wine. Security never came but the bartender did a good job of keeping her separated from others.

Capt. Card!

Hope all is well. I was wondering if you have any idea what may be possible after Veendam is no longer in the fleet. I am not sure I will be able to squeeze a trip in to Bermuda next year [although I hope to try!!] but docking in Hamilton is such a great experience. Are the Rotterdam and Amsterdam small enough to dock there should HAL ever decide to place one of them on the Bermuda run in Veendam's absence? Rotterdam is back to Boston in 2017 for VoV so is it possible she could end up with BOS as her summer homeport once Veendam and Maasdam are gone?

David

Hello David,

All well.

I have heard nothing about VEENDAM. I fear one or two of the old ship will go when the STATENDAM is ready.

You better keep your fingers crossed for a cruise to Bda in 2017!

Stephen