Are there real differences between the "S" class ships?

Ox Fan Cruiser

I often read that "We love the Eclipse/ Solstice / Reflection.....". As if to say "THIS" ship is better than the others. Other than the Solstice's window dividers in the Café & front lounge being at eye level I don't see any meaning full differences. BTW, is the holder for the tree by the aft elevators unique to each ship? These might be a different design. If you do know of one ship having a meaningful difference please share with me.

I often read that "We love the Eclipse/ Solstice / Reflection.....". As if to say "THIS" ship is better than the others. Other than the Solstice's window dividers in the Café & front lounge being at eye level I don't see any meaning full differences. BTW, is the holder for the tree by the aft elevators unique to each ship? These might be a different design. If you do know of one ship having a meaningful difference please share with me.

Some S ships have the Hideaway and some don't. Reflection has an additional deck....

Edited by Charles4515

I think the differences between Solstice, Eclipse and Equinox are very slight and amount essentially to different Speciality restaurants, different art work and different coloured carpet etc.

Silhouette is essentially the same but has a slightly different lawn club - (No Hot Glass Show, extra restaurant, and cabanas) and slightly larger occupancy.

Reflection is slightly larger than the other 4 in terms of Gross Tonnage and passenger load (about an extra 200 passengers) - I believe it has an extra deck and a slightly different layout on the upper decks - The lawn club pools and jogging track are over 2 decks (not 3 as in the other ships). The Sky Lounge is also different to make space for the Reflection Suite and extra suites.

Edited by DYKWIA

Basically the only difference that matters to me is hot glass show or no hot glass show. I'm a big fan.

And yes, the tree containers in the elevator lobby are all different.

It's all good.

What puts Silhouette and Reflection apart from the rest of the S Class ships is:

The hot glass show is the biggest difference. Also the lost of the Oceanview bar at the aft end of the ship on the Libo deck. You have to use the Sunset bar up 1 deck. It can be very hard getting drinks when both deck are crowded.

Most diff already covered..we do find Reflection feels more crowded in many spots. Our favs are Equinox and Silhouette ( have been on them multiiple times)..been awhile since we were on Solstice and have never been on Eclipse.

On Reflection, the Solarium and Spa with Persian Gardens and locker rm with saunas are on diff decks. We find this inconvenient.

BLU on Reflection is slightly larger than other S class...

The truncated Nightclub on Ref no longer has sweeping panoramic views.

The aft circular bar on Ref has become the main attraction back there, cuts that area in half and makes music performances harder to view.

Nice to have variety and choices!

Edited by hcat

...... Reflection has an additional deck....

Not quite correct. Reflection has approximately 1/3rd of the pool deck raised and replaced with cabins. Only the pool area has been raised one deck higher. Pretty much everything else on that deck is the same.

Reflection is longer and wider to retain stability to compensate for the weight of that 1/3 deck being raised one level higher.

From a Travel Weekly interview with then Celebrity CEO Daniel Hanrahan in the Jan 8, 2010 issue:

Hanrahan said: "The 126,000-ton Reflection (4,000 tons more than the other Solstice-class ships) would be widened by a little less than one meter. It is surprising what just under a meter gives you. That space is a lot in the dining areas and the theater.

"The ship’s theater will have 45 extra seats, and the main dining room will have 40 additional seats. Other additions will be 245 more loungers on an expanded pool deck; 118 more seats in the Oceanview Café; 24 more seats each in Blu and the Tuscan Grille; and four additional seats in Qsine.

"The additional deck will be accomplished by moving the pool area up one level, putting it on the same deck as the Lawn Club."

I was on Reflection's 2nd cruise, and compared to the other S class ships, she seemed to be less crowded, even though that cruise was sold out.

Edited by sloopsailor

Not quite correct. Reflection has approximately 1/3rd of the pool deck raised and replaced with cabins. Only the pool area has been raised one deck higher. Pretty much everything else on that deck is the same.

Reflection is longer and wider to retain stability to compensate for the weight of that 1/3 deck being raised one level higher.

From a Travel Weekly interview with then Celebrity CEO Daniel Hanrahan in the Jan 8, 2010 issue:

Hanrahan said: "The 126,000-ton Reflection (4,000 tons more than the other Solstice-class ships) would be widened by a little less than one meter. It is surprising what just under a meter gives you. That space is a lot in the dining areas and the theater.

"The ship’s theater will have 45 extra seats, and the main dining room will have 40 additional seats. Other additions will be 245 more loungers on an expanded pool deck; 118 more seats in the Oceanview Café; 24 more seats each in Blu and the Tuscan Grille; and four additional seats in Qsine.

"The additional deck will be accomplished by moving the pool area up one level, putting it on the same deck as the Lawn Club."

I was on Reflection's 2nd cruise, and compared to the other S class ships, she seemed to be less crowded, even though that cruise was sold out.

I understand the "not quite" but they call it an additional deck so I am using their terminology. I have been on Reflection, Silhouette, and Equinox. I didn't notice much difference in how crowded they are. I will be on Reflection for the second time in December and pay some more attention to the details since I did Silhouette a third time last December.

Edited by Charles4515

That is really interesting. Sounds like they got the S class totally refined and then stopped making any more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I've cruised all five S-class ships and they are all similar and wonderful. The one thing I noticed is the lawn areas on the Solstice, Equinox and the Eclipse are expansive and open. On the Silhouette and the Reflextion, the addition of the Lawnclub and the Alcoves, blocks a great deal of the main lawn area.

I'm not a fan of the Alcoves and what they represent, but the Lawnclub is a great addition.

I would rate the S-class ships of Celebrity as the best "bang for the buck" at sea!

Enjoy!

Kel:)

I've cruised all five S-class ships and they are all similar and wonderful. The one thing I noticed is the lawn areas on the Solstice, Equinox and the Eclipse are expansive and open. On the Silhouette and the Reflextion, the addition of the Lawnclub and the Alcoves, blocks a great deal of the main lawn area.

I'm not a fan of the Alcoves and what they represent, but the Lawnclub is a great addition.

I would rate the S-class ships of Celebrity as the best "bang for the buck" at sea!

Enjoy!

Kel:)

I believe they added the Alcoves to Solstice recently.

With the exception of Reflection, are all the stateroom numbers the same?

For instance, if I want to do a search for Silhouette cabin 1234, is 1234 the same area on the other S ships?

Silhouette is slightly longer so there are extra cabins at the back making the numbers for the aft cabins on her different to the other 3.

for example 1668 is a aft corner S1:cool: in Sily but and aft C1 on Equinox

there dosent appear to be a 1234 on any of the 4:D

Edited by groryjm

The Persian Garden on Reflection is larger and arranged differently than Silhouette's (the only other S-class I've cruised).

We found it less cozy. In addition the locker room locks were difficult to operate..I have mild arthritis and gave up...prefer a key for my locker..

This are mostly minor details but everyone has their favs...and reasons why..

At this point we prefer S class, except Reflection, over M class.....and hope they don't change Silhouette or Equinox too much. Like them fine as is.!

For those in suites the layout of the bar in Michaels Club differs and IMHO is far more convivial on Silhouette and Reflection :cool:

Equinox and Silhouette

MCs.jpg

Edited by groryjm

Silhouette is slightly longer so there are extra cabins at the back making the numbers for the aft cabins on her different to the other 3.

for example 1668 is a aft corner S1:cool: in Sily but and aft C1 on Equinox

there dosent appear to be a 1234 on any of the 4:D

Silhouette and Reflexion are longer and have one more life boat in the front on each side. Because of this the room numbers with obstructed view are slightly different from the other three ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There is a web site I like to use to check what will be above/below EACH cabin before booking. Google cruisedeckplans and find that site. You first pick the cruise line you are interested in. After picking Celebrity, scroll down to pick the ship you wish to check on. Three lines down from the top click on "CLICK HERE TO DRAG THESE DECKS". All the different decks will be shown side by side. You can use your finger to slide one deck plan on top of another and you can see both decks at once. BE SURE TO LINE UP THE ELEVATORS AND/OR STAIRS OF BOTH DECKS YOU ARE LOOKING AT!

This site also gives other helpful info on each ship.