Breaking News: RedneckBob Reviews Koningsdam; 11/13/16

RedneckBob

Hi y'all Redneck Bob here !

Before I start I want to wish everyone of y'all a Happy Thanksgiving ! Oops, hope this is a political correct wish.

Well here goes. Me and the Misses just completed a 10 day Caribbean cruise on HAL's new ship, the Koningsdam. Our "CC" Roll Call called this cruise, "Cruise of the Koneheads", which kind of fit me, that is, the way I acted up in grammar school, if you know what I mean.

Embarkation: This was not easy in Port Everglades. There were over 400 plus 4 Mariners, plus suites that had priority boarding. When we were called to board, It was like heading cattle into a boxcar or putting a round peg into a square hole. I tried that one in grammar school. Maybe that's why I failed the IQ Test :eek:

We boarded the boat and head to our cabin on Deck 6. When we arrived via the elevator to Deck 6, this voice from the elevator said, "Deck Sicks, Mows it Deck". I said, what the heck is "Mows it" Deck. Oh it was suppose to be Mozart Deck. It's like calling President Obama, President O-Bama. All I can say about that is Roll Tide. Well back to the Mows it Deck. Let me understand this, Hal spends hundreds of millions of dollars to build this ship and can not find someone to pronounce Mozart correctly. Well I be dogged.

Cabin or what you may call Stateroom: We entered our balcony cabin, 6199 towards the back of ship, Starboard side. Now I was pleasantly surprised to see this HUGE flat screen TV on the wall. Finally I would not have to use my binoculars to watch TV. And then they had build this HUGE shower in the bathroom and then all of a sudden I realized that none of the lights worked in the cabin. I called the front desk and they told me that I had to put my room key in this slot by the door to turn on the lights. I asked why and she replied to save energy. Well that made no sense. On Day 2 we were at HMC and upon leaving the Captain bragged how he did not have to drop the anchor at HMC by using GPS and the ships propulsion system to keep ship +/- 5 meters in position. Well that saved a lot fuel !

Food & Service: This was excellent throughout the ship. Really liked New York Deli & Pizza place. All special restaurants were excellent.

Port of Call: All great! But major rains in Aruba forced cancel of all HAL tours; streets and shops flooded downtown.

Entertainment: Excellent at all places. Really liked LED signage that surrounds most of World Theater. Great images displayed during shows. Like layout of seats. BB King had great musicians and music. I prefer one piano bar not two pianos at the bar.

Well, I spoke too long. Great cruise overall.

I'm Redneck Bob and "I see it like I tell it, I mean tell it like I see it"

(names were changed to protect the innocent including mine)[/SIZE]

Before I start I want to wish everyone of y'all a Happy Thanksgiving ! Oops, hope this is a political correct wish.

Well here goes. Me and the Misses just completed a 10 day Caribbean cruise on HAL's new ship, the Koningsdam. Our "CC" Roll Call called this cruise, "Cruise of the Koneheads", which kind of fit me, that is, the way I acted up in grammar school, if you know what I mean.

Embarkation: This was not easy in Port Everglades. There were over 400 plus 4 Mariners, plus suites that had priority boarding. When we were called to board, It was like heading cattle into a boxcar or putting a round peg into a square hole. I tried that one in grammar school. Maybe that's why I failed the IQ Test :eek:

We boarded the boat and head to our cabin on Deck 6. When we arrived via the elevator to Deck 6, this voice from the elevator said, "Deck Sicks, Mows it Deck". I said, what the heck is "Mows it" Deck. Oh it was suppose to be Mozart Deck. It's like calling President Obama, President O-Bama. All I can say about that is Roll Tide. Well back to the Mows it Deck. Let me understand this, Hal spends hundreds of millions of dollars to build this ship and can not find someone to pronounce Mozart correctly. Well I be dogged.

Cabin or what you may call Stateroom: We entered our balcony cabin, 6199 towards the back of ship, Starboard side. Now I was pleasantly surprised to see this HUGE flat screen TV on the wall. Finally I would not have to use my binoculars to watch TV. And then they had build this HUGE shower in the bathroom and then all of a sudden I realized that none of the lights worked in the cabin. I called the front desk and they told me that I had to put my room key in this slot by the door to turn on the lights. I asked why and she replied to save energy. Well that made no sense. On Day 2 we were at HMC and upon leaving the Captain bragged how he did not have to drop the anchor at HMC by using GPS and the ships propulsion system to keep ship +/- 5 meters in position. Well that saved a lot fuel !

Food & Service: This was excellent throughout the ship. Really liked New York Deli & Pizza place. All special restaurants were excellent.

Port of Call: All great! But major rains in Aruba forced cancel of all HAL tours; streets and shops flooded downtown.

Entertainment: Excellent at all places. Really liked LED signage that surrounds most of World Theater. Great images displayed during shows. Like layout of seats. BB King had great musicians and music. I prefer one piano bar not two pianos at the bar.

We'ums southern boys knows how toooo p-a-r-t-y !! lol !! My wife and I are born and bred from Georgia and LOVE to cruise. We've taken 3 cruises from Port Everglades, 2 on Carnival, and the Oasis of the Seas. We haven't done a HAL ship yet. but I'd too, but after reading so many conflicting reviews both pro and con, I'm undecided. Good to read one (yours) that doesn't seem to have an ax to grind about HAL. Thank you so much for what seems to be a honest unbiased review. Yup !! You calls it as you sees it !!

Mac

Was this your first cruise or just your 1st on HAL. Just curious.. :)

Thanks,

Mac

I always love reading your reviews....probably because I'm a redneck from Indiana. We were at HMC with you on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Did you get a chance to experience the bathrooms with no running water? One trip was all it took to stop my fluid intake in order to avoid trip #2.

I always love reading your reviews....probably because I'm a redneck from Indiana. We were at HMC with you on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Did you get a chance to experience the bathrooms with no running water? One trip was all it took to stop my fluid intake in order to avoid trip #2.

Hi y'all from Indiana. Sometime last century I worked in a small town in southern Indiana, Tell City.

I arrived late to HMC, about 1 pm, to avoid the crowds. I like to snorkel in areas that are not congested.

There are bathrooms on HMC? Never bothered me :eek:

I've been curious about the Koningsdam, so thanks for the good report. There was flooding the first time I went to Aruba. I was on a desert island standing in water up to my ankles.

Roz

Red Neck Bob:

Your teachers must have had quite a time with you, but they certainly did teach you how to write the most clever and readable reviews!

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving down there, eh!

Thanks SilvertoGold up there.

My teachers in Alabama had a terrible time with me. My schooling can be divided into three stages; dark age, middle age and genius age. During the dark ages (Grammar School) I was placed in one of those remedial reading groups because I could never figure out why Spot ran after the Ball and not Dick or Jane. Then during the middle ages (Upper School) my English became worser. Having to write essays on Shakespean Sonnets did not float my boat nor did book reports on Ivanhoe, House of the Seven Gables or The Scarlet Letter. In fact those teachers splashed so many red marks on my papers that if sewn together we make a great cape for one of those maty doors in the bull ring. I was lucky to make a C on those papers. Finally I reached my final stage; genius age. Reached college and had to take Freshman English. All my teachers wanted me to do is write what ever I wanted to. So I had my folks ship up to me at college all those essays and reports I did in lower schools and submitted them in college. You probably guessed it that all those C's & D's in Alabama turned into A's & B's in college. Go figure.

What the heck this has to do with cruising or my OP, I dont have a clue :D

Entertainment: ... I prefer one piano bar not two pianos at the bar.

[/SIZE]

Thanks for your report. The problem with the new piano bar is that they got the ratio backwards. It should be two bars and one piano.

Thanks SilvertoGold up there.

My teachers in Alabama had a terrible time with me. My schooling can be divided into three stages; dark age, middle age and genius age. During the dark ages (Grammar School) I was placed in one of those remedial reading groups because I could never figure out why Spot ran after the Ball and not Dick or Jane. Then during the middle ages (Upper School) my English became worser. Having to write essays on Shakespean Sonnets did not float my boat nor did book reports on Ivanhoe, House of the Seven Gables or The Scarlet Letter. In fact those teachers splashed so many red marks on my papers that if sewn together we make a great cape for one of those maty doors in the bull ring. I was lucky to make a C on those papers. Finally I reached my final stage; genius age. Reached college and had to take Freshman English. All my teachers wanted me to do is write what ever I wanted to. So I had my folks ship up to me at college all those essays and reports I did in lower schools and submitted them in college. You probably guessed it that all those C's & D's in Alabama turned into A's & B's in college. Go figure.

What the heck this has to do with cruising or my OP, I dont have a clue :D

Just shows how a college education can make a person the perfect cruiser.

Thanks for the fun thread!!! Now, go book another cruise, please!

Just curious, but a couple of people have commented on the key being needed to turn on the lights. Isn't this common in the US? It is almost universal here and in most other places we travel and has been for a long time. Perhaps your power is much cheaper.

Just curious, but a couple of people have commented on the key being needed to turn on the lights. Isn't this common in the US? It is almost universal here and in most other places we travel and has been for a long time. Perhaps your power is much cheaper.

It is a rarity to have that here in the US. I honestly cannot remember anywhere in the US that I have been to where you have to put a card in that slot. Haven't even seen a slot to put the card into. But, outside of the US, I am just accustomed to finding it. I do like it for the savings on electricity. I'll go check rooms for late departures and find the guests gone, but with a bunch of lights AND a TV on :mad: That little bit multiplies to a bit of wasted money over time!